or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The World's Most Racist Country is.......Hong Kong

The World's Most Racist Country is.......Hong Kong

post #1 of 20

Hong Kong is racist.

I don't mean just a little racist. They take the top prize.

Quote:
The survey asked respondents in more than 80 different countries to identify kinds of people they would not want as neighbors. Some respondents, picking from a list, chose “people of a different race.” The more frequently that people in a given country say they don’t want neighbors from other races, the economists reasoned, the less racially tolerant you could call that society. (The study concluded that economic freedom had no correlation with racial tolerance, but it does appear to correlate with tolerance toward homosexuals.)

We all know proxies are fine because this is science.

Quote:
• India, Jordan, Bangladesh and Hong Kong by far the least tolerant. In only three of 81 surveyed countries, more than 40 percent of respondents said they would not want a neighbor of a different race. This included 43.5 percent of Indians, 51.4 percent of Jordanians and an astonishingly high 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers and 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis.

So there you have it. Hong Kong is the most racist country in the world and anyone who lives there shouldn't lecture others about racial tolerance nor can they even understand where other people are coming from when talking about navigating racial discourse. They live in an intolerant place, with intolerant people. They only way they would even feel comfortable there is if they themselves, were intolerant.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 20
Since when is Hong Kong a 'country'?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Since when is Hong Kong a 'country'?

Seriously? That's the best you have here?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Seriously? That's the best you have here?

Yes, because when you start off wrong by comparing a city to countries the entire article is going to be wrong.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes, because when you start off wrong by comparing a city to countries the entire article is going to be wrong.

Perhaps. However, Singapore is a country/city/state all in one that is comparable to Hong Kong. So, it seems that this is a distinction without a difference. I mean for all intents and purposes HK is a country.

post #6 of 20

Any mention of the Philippines at all?

post #7 of 20

Why is Tonton living there than?

post #8 of 20

It's called birds of a feather flock together.

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It's called birds of a feather flock together.

Plus he gets to enjoy all the benefits of living in the economically freest place on the planet while smugly sitting back and proposing, supporting and probably voting for making the U.S. less free. It's nice when you get to tell other people how to live but don't have to suffer the consequences of your policies. It is the liberal elitist way.

post #10 of 20

In another words a complete hypocrite.

post #11 of 20

If there were any doubts that marvfox was a fake account, they should dissolve away now.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #12 of 20

There's never been a doubt in my mind. But I find the straw the broke the camel's back for you to be hilarious.

post #13 of 20
Plus to double the stick poking, supposedly wonderful Hong Kong doesn't recognize gay marriage either.

post #14 of 20

Neither does the Philippines .Hong Kong is no bargain to live there either.

post #15 of 20

At least idiot you put you are from Mars maybe with your postings you are!

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Plus to double the stick poking, supposedly wonderful Hong Kong doesn't recognize gay marriage either.

Which, according to at least one person, makes them not even part of the civilized world.

post #17 of 20

I was there in HK with my wife. No big deal at all. People are not that friendly at all.

post #18 of 20

Here is the original article from Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

A
pparently they have messed up the numbers for Bangladesh and Hong Kong (They've reversed the Yes and No in the questionnaires)

See the bottom of the article where author Max Fisher provided an explanation for the correction 

"Correction: This post originally indicated that, according to the World Values Survey, 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis and 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers had said that they would not want a neighbor of a different race. In fact, those numbers appear to be substantially lower, 28.3 percent and 26.8 percent, respectively. In both cases, World Values appears to have erroneously posted the incorrect data on its Web site. Ashirul Amin, posting at the Tufts University Fletcher School’s emerging markets blog, looked into the data for Bangladesh and discovered the mistake. My thanks to Amin, who is Bangladeshi and was able to read the original questionnaire, for pointing this out. His analysis is worth reading in full, but here’s his conclusion:

The short answer is, yes, someone did fat finger this big time. “Yes” and “No” got swapped in the second round of the survey, which means that 28.3% of Bangladeshis said they wouldn’t want neighbors of a different race – not 71.7%.

26K Facebook likers and 2.5K Tweeters, take note.

Amin adds, “Bangladeshis are a tolerant bunch — it’s ok to come visit.” The error in the Hong Kong data, first discovered by Chinese-speaking users on Reddit, was flagged by Engadget Chinese editor Richard Lai. Ng Chun Hung, a University of Hong Kong professor who was the principal investigator on World Values’ survey there, confirmed via e-mail that the data had been transposed on the survey company’s Web site. He added that he has written the World Values Survey team to alert it to this and ask it to remove the faulty data. My thanks to him, as well as to Lai and the Reddit users who dug through original Chinese-language survey forms to demonstrate the error."

post #19 of 20

Finally the truth has come out with the right figures.

post #20 of 20
Awesome correction and that moves Hong Kong from most racist to among the most racist.

The tolerant countries had 0-5% so being at almost 27% is still terrible.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The World's Most Racist Country is.......Hong Kong