or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 11.0.3 with new MiniPlayer, improved Songs View

Apple releases iTunes 11.0.3 with new MiniPlayer, improved Songs View

post #1 of 69
Apple on Thursday released a new version of its iTunes media suite, with a new MiniPlayer featuring artwork and a progress bar, along with an improved Songs View.

Mini Player

iTunes 11.0.3 is now available to download direct from Apple or through an OS X software update. The application is a 196.6-megabyte download for Mac. An update is also available for Windows users.

Release notes for the software state that users can now see their album artwork while in Songs View with iTunes 11.0.3. The updated software also adds support for multi-disc albums, which are now shown as a single album.

According to Apple, the update also provides performance improvements when searching and sorting large iTunes libraries.

The latest relatively minor update to iTunes arrived in February in the form of version 11.0.2,adding a new "Composers" view for music along with providing speed and reliability upgrades.

The last major update to the software was released as iTunes 11 last November. It featured a complete overhaul of the application's design, along with a new storefront and tighter integration with Apple's iCloud suite of services.
post #2 of 69
Hopefully it also fixes the bug where iTunes forgets that I marked 'show purchases in the cloud' and whatever they did to screw up compilations

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #3 of 69

One thing I wish you could do in iTunes is the ability to tie two songs together so even if on shuffle they'll always be played back to back

post #4 of 69

What about not showing playlists made from iTunes Radio stations in the Songs listing along with my actual albums?

That started in… iTunes 10, I think? I want to see them in the playlist only, not under songs, since they're not.

POST-INSTALL EDIT: Still can't change the size of artwork… Thanks for removing that, Apple¡

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #5 of 69

I wish they'd correct an annoying problem I'm having with iTunes defaulting to album view. Basically, if I'm in song view (where I normally have it), insert a CD, rip it and then eject it, the damned thing always defaults to album view. Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't be an issue as I wouldn't be constantly inserting discs, but I'm in the process of re-ripping my collection one more time (in ALAC this time) and it is getting really friggin' annoying to have to constantly switch back to song view.

post #6 of 69
The new iTunes 11 interface makes me rage so hard at it's awfulness that I've switched to J River Media Center. I don't know who thought they were making an improvement in design, but they failed miserably.
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

POST-INSTALL EDIT: Still can't change the size of artwork… Thanks for removing that, Apple¡

Very disappointed to read this, it's the one thing I don't like on the new iTunes. Since I bought a 27" iMac it just looks crazy busy having that many different albums on screen at once.
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

The new iTunes 11 interface makes me rage so hard at it's awfulness that I've switched to J River Media Center. I don't know who thought they were making an improvement in design, but they failed miserably.

That's your (minority) opinion. I've been using iTunes for a long time, and I think 11 is a massive improvement in so, so many ways. God rid of a large number of annoyances, cleaned up the interfaces, significantly improved performance, and added some extremely useful features. I don't see what about it would make you "rage so hard". You know you can bring back the sidebar under "view", right? Your bitching doesn't make much sense. 

post #9 of 69
I was hoping for a HUGE overhaul whne iTunes 11 came out. While it 'looks' that way it still is as clunky as ever to get your music managed. Just be cause they have the market with their iTunes store doesn't mean they should neglect the usability of the software that hosts the music people buy.
post #10 of 69
Quote:

What about not showing playlists made from iTunes Radio stations in the Songs listing along with my actual albums?

That started in… iTunes 10, I think? I want to see them in the playlist only, not under songs, since they're not.

Submit a bug report/feature request with Radar.

post #11 of 69

Not sure what you mean about changing the size of the artwork.

You can change the size of the artwork in the mini player.

Just click on the artwork. The artwork opens in a different window, and you can drag the size to some degree. You can't go full screen on the artwork, but it does allow about 4 times the size of the minimum (just a guess)

Do you want more than that?

post #12 of 69

They changed the design of little grabby thing on the timeline bar, too. Whatever it's called.

I forget what it looked like before… I use iTunes daily. I need committed or something.

Originally Posted by DeltaMac View Post
Not sure what you mean about changing the size of the artwork.

In the iTunes window proper.

Do you want more than that?

I'd rather just have back what they took away from us. I went to the trouble of either finding or making myself high-resolution, gorgeous artwork for a reason: I want to actually see it.

post #13 of 69
The app update functionality in the new version SUCKS -- way more of a pain to update all your iOS apps. Why does Apple change things that work well?!
Edited by libertyforall - 5/16/13 at 12:23pm
post #14 of 69
I'm still finding that there is some music in the world that just doesn't seem to appeal to me when I listen to it.

Can we fix that please, Apple?
post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

One thing I wish you could do in iTunes is the ability to tie two songs together so even if on shuffle they'll always be played back to back

You would probably have to do that through an audio editor and have it as one song.  That's the only way I could see them doing that.  i don't think that's a very common thing people want. 

post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'm still finding that there is some music in the world that just doesn't seem to appeal to me when I listen to it.

I don't see how Apple can do anything about that.  You have to just figure out what you like and don't like and do it that way.  I don't like Rap music, but I don't think Apple is going to remove it from existence.

post #17 of 69

I like the fact that we can resize the artwork.  Nice touch.  I'm wondering if they are going to bring back cover flow in a future update...

Anyone miss it?  Sometimes I like using Cover Flow, it's not mandatory for me, but it would be nice to see it again.

post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

forgot your /s cos you know someone will read it wrong

post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I like the fact that we can resize the artwork.  Nice touch.  I'm wondering if they are going to bring back cover flow in a future update...

Anyone miss it?  Sometimes I like using Cover Flow, it's not mandatory for me, but it would be nice to see it again.

In which mode are you doing this? Miniplayer, artist, songs?

post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I wish they'd correct an annoying problem I'm having with iTunes defaulting to album view. Basically, if I'm in song view (where I normally have it), insert a CD, rip it and then eject it, the damned thing always defaults to album view. Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't be an issue as I wouldn't be constantly inserting discs, but I'm in the process of re-ripping my collection one more time (in ALAC this time) and it is getting really friggin' annoying to have to constantly switch back to song view.

Amen to this. Please go to apple.com/feedback and report it.

Bugs the tar out of me.

Also, I have a similar problem where you switch from music to somewhere else like the App Store and then switch back to music and the song you had selected is no longer selected, is goes back to the first song alphabetically.

post #21 of 69
Quote:

In the iTunes window proper.

In which view? Artists, Songs?

post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

forgot your /s cos you know someone will read it wrong

not quick enough to prevent post #16

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club

post #23 of 69

Oh, I have a problem with iTunes. A major one, that I'd forgotten until now. If I'm watching or listening to something while copying something new in, when the new thing is done, I'm instantly ripped out of what I'm doing and the new thing starts playing.

GO STICK A FORK IN YOUR EYE, ITUNES. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT I WOULD EVER WANT TO PLAY THIS NEW THING IMMEDIATELY, MUCH LESS WHEN I'M ACTIVELY WATCHING SOMETHING ELSE?!

I think way back when that actually used to be a setting that you could change. There were a lot of settings they've taken away since… I dunno iTunes 6… that would be nice.

post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

For quite a long time iTunes has allowed users to join tracks.  I've done this a number of times myself.  The caveat being, you can only do it when ripping a songs from a CD.  Also, in iTunes 11, the option is a bit more hidden than in previous versions.  You can follow the instructions at the below link to learn how to do it.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/joining-cd-tracks-in-itunes-11/

post #25 of 69

Why is it that when I am in the Music Library, Songs view (with the Sidebar visible, which I prefer), viewing an Artist and showing all Albums and playing a track, if I go to iTunes Store to browse, and then back to Music Library, I end up at the top of my Library (in the A's) and not where I was before?

If I do the very same thing, but with the Sidebar hidden, I end up exactly where I was before.  Can someone try this and confirm it's a bug?

Why can't iTunes behave like a browser, with a back and forward button, that always takes you where you were before?

Also, I still prefer to have the Album Art showing in the sidebar too.  I thought this update would bring that back.

Can someone tell me how 2-disc sets are supposed to show up as one Album?  I have many in my Library that still show up as separate Albums; they are currently tagged Disc 1 of 2 and Disc 2 of 2.

post #26 of 69

I like the default cover art view of "Album", but it's true, It would be nice to have some control over the size of cover art beyond adjusting the window size. Maybe it has something to do with the "Album Expanded" view... either way... it's still my favourite way to browse my collection.

post #27 of 69
Not downloading iTunes 11 till they bring back multiple playlist windows. Useless without it. Disappointed to not see it in this update.
post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Can someone tell me how 2-disc sets are supposed to show up as one Album?  I have many in my Library that still show up as separate Albums; they are currently tagged Disc 1 of 2 and Disc 2 of 2.

Previously, if you had a double album, the expanded view would line them all up in one list (like Track 10,11,12, 1, 2, 3). Now in expanded view it has a "Disk One" (Track 1, 2, 3...) and below it, "Disk Two" (Track 1, 2, 3...).

post #29 of 69
Quote:

Oh, I have a problem with iTunes. A major one, that I'd forgotten until now. If I'm watching or listening to something while copying something new in, when the new thing is done, I'm instantly ripped out of what I'm doing and the new thing starts playing.

iTunes will automatically start playing files that are imported by dragging them to the icon in the Dock.  I think it's always been this way.

If you don't want the files to automatically play, use the  file>Add to Library option and the files will be added but won't instantly play.

post #30 of 69
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post
iTunes will automatically start playing files that are imported by dragging them to the icon in the Dock. If you don't want the files to automatically play, use the  file>Add to Library option and the files will be added but won't instantly play.

That's crazy. That's Microsoft-level stupidity.

Thanks, though.

post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by websnap View Post

Previously, if you had a double album, the expanded view would line them all up in one list (like Track 10,11,12, 1, 2, 3). Now in expanded view it has a "Disk One" (Track 1, 2, 3...) and below it, "Disk Two" (Track 1, 2, 3...).

Is it only for iTunes purchases?  Mine are ripped from CD's and they do not show that way.

post #32 of 69

Nope, I verified with a few I input myself (Beatles White Album as well as Floyd's The Wall I imported from vinyl) worked just fine. All I had was the disk info entered (Disk 1 of 2) and the Album field with just the album name (not "The Wall, Disk 1" for example).

post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

iTunes will automatically start playing files that are imported by dragging them to the icon in the Dock.  I think it's always been this way.

If you don't want the files to automatically play, use the  file>Add to Library option and the files will be added but won't instantly play.

Quote:

That's crazy. That's Microsoft-level stupidity.

Thanks, though.

Really? That seems natural to me. It's not a folder, it's an application. It is like dragging photos to Photoshop and not expecting the app to open them. The File>Add to Library works, so does dragging them into the window, not the icon. Both methods will add the tracks to your library without initiating play.

post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I don't see how Apple can do anything about that.  You have to just figure out what you like and don't like and do it that way.  I don't like Rap music, but I don't think Apple is going to remove it from existence.

My tastes should not be my responsibility.

Apple has billions in the bank, most of which it doesn' t pay tax on, yet still allows more than a single category of music within the iTunes ecosystem.

As a shareholder and a customer, especially a long-standing one that owes three Macs, six iPods, two iPhones, and an iPad 4, this is just downright confusing, and this kind of fragmentation is unacceptable in this day and age.

Apple really needs to be more 'open' (like Google) when it comes to presenting me with a choices that I shouldn't be allowed to make.

This would never have happened if Steve Jobs were alive.

EDIT: Sorry about the rant but the low repairability of the latest version of iTunes really frustrates me, especially after it failed the latest series of drop-tests by various tech sites.
Edited by GTR - 5/16/13 at 1:32pm
post #35 of 69
Originally Posted by websnap View Post
It is like dragging photos to Photoshop and not expecting the app to open them.

Opening and forcibly drawing focus to are wholly different.

post #36 of 69
Still waiting for the ability to combine accounts. Having separate accounts was fine when we were dating, but after fifteen years of marriage we are ready to trust one another's musical behavior.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #37 of 69
I miss version 10's browser. Artist browser column on the left, songs on the right. I honestly can't imagine how anyone uses the other views productively.
post #38 of 69
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post
Still waiting for the ability to combine accounts. Having separate accounts was fine when we were dating, but after fifteen years of marriage we are ready to trust one another's musical behavior.

Darn time travelers, having iTunes accounts before iTunes existed!

post #39 of 69
Quote:

Opening and forcibly drawing focus to are wholly different.

I guess it depends on how you look at the app. To me, and this is just my opinion (though it looks like the iTunes dev team agrees with me on this) when you drag a song onto the icon, that means you want to hear it while you may be doing something else, say you are surfing. Since your focus is elsewhere it's not assuming you want to edit the tag info or add it to a playlist, you want it to play. Whereas if you have the iTunes window open, dragging it into that window doesn't initiate play because you may be organizing, adding art or retagging. It's how it has always been and seems second nature, to me at least anyways.

post #40 of 69

think I got trolled.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 11.0.3 with new MiniPlayer, improved Songs View