or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product

Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product

post #1 of 214
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Thursday revealed that the first Mac to built completely in the U.S. in almost two decades will be a new model in an existing product line, shedding a bit more light on the company's "Made in USA" plans.

Tim Cook

While not a major topic of discussion, the Apple chief told Politico that Apple's upcoming domestically-made computer will not be a new product, but a revision on an existing machine. The news is to be expected, as Apple is not rumored to be working on a new addition to its current desktop and laptop lineups.

What little was revealed about the upcoming Mac was enlightening, however, as Cook said many of the machine's components will also be made in America, with companies from Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky and Texas making contributions.

?We?re going very deep in this project,? Cook said.

AppleInsider was first to report in April that Apple is expanding its operations in the Orlando, Fla., area. The company has been hiring engineers to design, build, and test custom chips for future devices.

In December, Cook first announced that Apple plans to bring some of its Mac production back to U.S. shores, saying the company will invest $100 million in the endeavor.

"We've been working on this for a long time, and we were getting closer to it. It will happen in 2013," Cook said in an interview with Bloomberg. "We're really proud of it. We could have quickly maybe done just assembly, but it's broader because we wanted to do something more substantial."

Details of the project are scarce, though some analysts believe Apple will rely heavily on U.S.-based plants of partner supplier Foxconn.

As for the specific model to be built in America, previous rumors speculated a revamped Mac mini as the likely choice.

When the "Made in USA" Mac finally arrives, it will be the first Apple computer since 1994 to be built domestically. That year, the company began contracting device manufacturing to overseas firms, subsequently closing its Elk Grove and Fremont, Calif., facilities.
post #2 of 214
wonderful. can i expect my macbooks to prematurely fall apart and randomly stop working now?
post #3 of 214

A refreshed product!  Take that, Samsung!

post #4 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

A refreshed product!  Take that, Samsung!

Folks like you rip on Apple for employing underaged, overworked, suicidal Chinese workers and preaching how Apple should use their ill-gotten gains to bring manufacturing back to the U.S., and now you b!tch still that it's back in the U.S.??

post #5 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

wonderful. can i expect my macbooks to prematurely fall apart and randomly stop working now?

Refresh implies something more that a slightly faster processor etc, so it's more likely the Mac Pro

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #6 of 214

Of course it's the Mac Pro but don't say it loud. We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, would we?

post #7 of 214
New model in an existing product line? Has to be Mac Pro.
post #8 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

Refresh implies something more that a slightly faster processor etc, so it's more likely the Mac Pro

Yup, Mac Pro would also have been my guess: it's a product line with low volume thus suitable for ramping up production without instantly having to produce millions of units.
It's also a high end product, often BTO so there are cost savings not having to air ship them, and with a high price item slightly higher production costs won't have as much an impact on the overall profit margin as expressed in percent, which is what makes investors nervous if they see that number drop.
post #9 of 214

I think it's great Apple is bringing manufacturing back to the USA.  Kudos.

I rip on Apple for a lack of new products and services when compared to Google and Android over the past year or so.

post #10 of 214
Apple's Fremont plant was highly automated.
I'd expect any Foxconn factories in the US to also be highly automated.
Labor is cheaper than automation in China. Automation is most likely cheaper than labor in the US.
Edited by SockRolid - 5/16/13 at 3:44pm

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #11 of 214
NeXT had US assembly. There is a video of the plant somewhere online but I can't seem to locate it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #12 of 214
Quote:

I rip on Apple for a lack of new products and services when compared to Google and Android over the past year or so.

Really. What 'new' products and services from Google and Android?
post #13 of 214
I suspect a heavily redesigned Mac Pro myself. Given that thought the Mini could easily be redesigned for automated production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

post #14 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Makes sense. I wonder where the factory is. They should have it pretty well under way since it will be producing product sometime in 2013.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #15 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I suspect a heavily redesigned Mac Pro myself. Given that thought the Mini could easily be redesigned for automated production.

The Mac Pro seems the most likely to me, too.

post #16 of 214
Quote:

You have a weird sense of imagination.  So what sentence in the article led you to that thought process?  Just curious.

post #17 of 214
This isn't technically true. Automation can happen in Chinese factories. It is often an issue of cost but rather the governments desire to employ lots of people. I know of some cases where attempts to setup automated factories in China where rejected in favor if putting people to work. In any event for some things it is pretty hard to do the task manually so automation is used even in China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Labor is cheaper than automation in China. Automation is most likely cheaper than labor in the US.
post #18 of 214
If it wasn't for the volume I could see the Mini adapting well to US production. It is a much bigger trick than Mac Pro production though. One thing we know for sure the Mac Pro gets a redesign this year. My biggest fear though is that it will seek in the same price range as it does today. That could be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

post #19 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If it wasn't for the volume I could see the Mini adapting well to US production. It is a much bigger trick than Mac Pro production though. One thing we know for sure the Mac Pro gets a redesign this year. My biggest fear though is that it will seek in the same price range as it does today. That could be a problem.

The cost of the Mac Pro is why I think it's the likely candidate. They can more easily hide the assembly costs in the Mac Pro than they can in less expensive Macs.

I hope they have made it highly automated so that they can not only reduce costs but also expand into other products down the line, but that seems unlikely at this point.

post #20 of 214
Quote:

The cost of the Mac Pro is why I think it's the likely candidate. They can more easily hide the assembly costs in the Mac Pro than they can in less expensive Macs.

I hope they have made it highly automated so that they can not only reduce costs but also expand into other products down the line, but that seems unlikely at this point.

The Mac Pro is heavy as shit, larger than most other product boxes, and will not be made in sufficient quantity to warrant the likely trans-Pacific shipping discounts Apple can pull on high-volume iPhones, MBPs and iMacs.  

In addition, I am pretty certain that more than half of all Mac Pros are already bought and used in the US.  

Nothing else makes more sense.  I'd put dollars on it being Mac Pro.

Its what the vast majority of content providers, creators and distributors are using.

post #21 of 214

Why? Wouldn't a new iMac be a refresh of an existing product? A Mac Pro going in a new direction would be far closer to "new product" than "existing product", in my eyes.

HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY EXPECT ANYONE NOT TO NOTICE HOW INCORRECT THIS STATEMENT IS?!

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #22 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

That automation was why when Motorola needed to mass produce their Iridium satellites to quickly put up a fully capable constellation they grabbed  the Mac production chief IIRC. Before then (and probably after...) satellites were hand built custom one-offs.

post #23 of 214
Quote:

Because of the built-to-order nature of most Mac Pro purchases?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Because of the built-to-order nature of most Mac Pro purchases?

Yes, as well as all the other things mentioned, like cost, weight, and buyer location.

post #25 of 214
Quote:

No, you don't. Stop rationalizing it. You troll Apple because it gives you joy. 100% of your posts here are negative, and nearly 100% are also mind-numbingly stupid and the very definition of a troll. I just spent a couple minutes skimming through them.  A normal person, who shares your views, would have dropped all their Apple products and moved to something else, since you despise the company so much. Not spend their time trolling a company they hate. And yes, hate. You've spouted such mind-numbing drivel like predicting the imminent doom of the iPad, simply because Android tablets exist- even though all metrics show that iPad is still completely dominating sales. You mock Apple because they aren't licencing iOS, the worst move they can possibly make. You want Apple to fail, so twist everything so that they ARE failing in your reality. With with a positive story like this, your first reaction is mockery and sarcasm. It's beyond pathetic. 

post #26 of 214
Ag
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You have a weird sense of imagination.  So what sentence in the article led you to that thought process?  Just curious.

Agreed drblank, if Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc., can build quality products using American workers....surely apple and other companies can do the same....
post #27 of 214
Quote:

Quit trolling. Apparently you were sick during the entire fall season. Tell me, what did google release.
post #28 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Wouldn't a new iMac be a refresh of an existing product? A Mac Pro going in a new direction would be far closer to "new product" than "existing product", in my eyes.
he said new model. What new model would you expect for the iMac?
post #29 of 214
Quote:

he said new model. What new model would you expect for the iMac?

He actually said "...where the company will begin producing a new version of a current Mac product later this year."

Upgrading the cpu and gpu would still fall under the vague description of "new version"

cpu/gpu refresh in imac ,mac mini, macbooks to a new mac pro design would qualify under his statement.

post #30 of 214
Quote:

When we need them, they will come….

What "new products and services" are lacking exactly? I hear a lot of surface noise regarding Google and Android, but I don't actually see them doing anything more substantial in the end-product than Apple is… enlighten me?

post #31 of 214
I'd like to see a USA-made iMac that isn't glued together and allows user access to basic components like the fans and HDD. Even if it meant adding another 1 or (gasp!) 2mm to its side profile. Because sometimes the quest for thinness can lead down the path to absurdity.

MBP 17" (early 2011) • iMac 24" (mid-2007) • iBook G3 (early 2001)

post #32 of 214

I also think the most likely candidate for this 'new version of an existing product' is the Mac Pro. 

In every way it makes sense. Lower volume, lower cost to ship/build BTO units (which most Mac Pros are), and a slower ramp to get manufacturing up to speed.

Investing only $100 million doesn't imply a very large scale ramp either, so if it's a product requiring high output in a quarter, it would cost more to put in place, one would think...

post #33 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by eji View Post

I'd like to see a USA-made iMac that isn't glued together and allows user access to basic components like the fans and HDD. Even if it meant adding another 1 or (gasp!) 2mm to its side profile. Because sometimes the quest for thinness can lead down the path to absurdity.

People do love moaning incessantly about Apple's design decisions… don't like it, don't buy it? But this may work for you, a new Mac Pro is coming that will likely allow you to 'customize' it to your liking… wait for it, and buy that one. The "all in one" iMac is what it is (and pretty extraordinary in my view). Personally I have no issue with it missing an optical drive, or not allowing end-user repairs and internal upgrades. Aside from the RAM, it's unlikely one would need to do anything else internally anyway...

post #34 of 214
Has to be the Mac Pro since it is big and doesn't require micro manual dexterity in its assembly.
post #35 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

People do love moaning incessantly about Apple's design decisions

Stating a personal preference is not moaning. Following your logic: Don't like my post? Don't read it.

It's "unlikely" to need internal access — until household dust buildup stops your fans, which then requires laborious disassembly. It's hardly contentious to say that at Apple real-world use occasionally takes a backseat to visually striking design.

The Mac Pro is significantly more expensive and has a far larger footprint than the iMac. It's not the suitable alternative that a user-accessible iMac would be.

post #36 of 214
"...the first Mac to built completely..."

First damn sentence has a stupid typo. Why won't you proofread??
post #37 of 214
Apple should do a big made in America advertising campaign sure China will still be producing the lions share of their products but if they could produce a couple of their marquee products "high line" versions in the US, maybe a state of the art desk top & iPhone 5" deluxe
post #38 of 214
Quote:

Since 97% of Google's revenue comes from advertising, those mysterious producst must belong to the remaining 3%. Their main product is you doing a search and then clicking on the top line search result. Usually it's Amazon or Home Depot, or Walmart.
post #39 of 214
Quote:

A refreshed product!  Copy that, Samsung!

Correction applied.

No fee required.

My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #40 of 214
Quote:

Yes, Jony Ive has his work cut out for him doesn't he?

I mean, revamping a UI is one thing but to get it to look as invisible as Key Lime Pie was at Google I/O will be a monumental task.

And how fricking thin was the new Nexus 5?

When you turn that thing sideways you almost couldn't see it!

Actually, come to think of it, when you turned it to the front it was also pretty hard to see...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product