or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product

Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product - Page 6

post #201 of 214
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

If Apple doesn't care about losing 75% of a family to Windows it's no skin off my back.

They're fine capturing the other 75% of entire families out there.

But you have to wonder why people that buy and use iPods and iPhones don't buy computers from Apple. Something about the equation doesn't add up. 

They're cheap, shortsighted, uninformed, and (this makes up less than one percent of the why), Apple doesn't make computers that would suit their needs.

As a business I would think Apple would want to sell as much of everything it makes. So why isn't it?

Uh… it is… 1confused.gif

post #202 of 214
Quote:

We aren't talking about me here. We are talking about the other three members of my family that gave up on Apple and switched to Windows.
They weren't asking for the type of computer I want.
Apple lost them. Why?

You can cut me down all you want but I'm not the one that has left. I still use a Mac.

If Apple doesn't care about losing 75% of a family to Windows it's no skin off my back. But you have to wonder why people that buy and use iPods and iPhones don't buy computers from Apple. Something about the equation doesn't add up. As a business I would think Apple would want to sell as much of everything it makes. So why isn't it?

That's 75% of your family. 100% (5 peeps) of my family use Macs.
post #203 of 214
Quote:

But you have to wonder why people that buy and use iPods and iPhones don't buy computers from Apple. Something about the equation doesn't add up. As a business I would think Apple would want to sell as much of everything it makes. So why isn't it?

It's mostly because of price. According to Tim, iOS devices have higher profit margins than the Macs but despite that, they hit a price point that is comfortable for a lot of people - with phones, because they are subsidised and with tablets because they have a low entry price. With Macs, they have a higher build quality and they have high margins vs PCs and so you can easily find examples where you can get the same spec PC as a Mac for close to half the price.

Here's a quad-i7 with 8GB RAM and dual 650M SLI for $1000:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312439

Apple's entry HDD-based MBP is $1800.

But, Apple doesn't sell Macs for the volume, they have a quality bar and a profit expectation that they haven't had a reason to compromise on those until recently. The industry is starting to slow down and they'll probably have to gradually bring prices down to sustain their Mac profits but other PC manufacturers that have saturated volume and exhausted their margins will start collapsing around themselves:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324659404578499511764732312.html

Apple sells 75% laptops, 25% desktops and this is pretty much the same across the whole industry so where they are lacking is in cheap laptops. They are making up for this to an extent with iPads as that hits the average sale prices of PC laptops. The most popular size of laptop is 15" by a long way (14" is popular in Asia). To boost Mac sales, they just need to be more aggressive with their laptops.
post #204 of 214
Quote:

[...] you have to wonder why people that buy and use iPods and iPhones don't buy computers from Apple. Something about the equation doesn't add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's mostly because of price

VERY true in our house. We just replaced my wife's MacBook Pro, and I have to admit, as much as I prefer OS X and like the handy features like sync and AirPlay, we were REALLY tempted to switch back this time. Other brands scraping by on razor-thin margins may be bad for them, but it's GREAT for me, and it really heats up the decision making process. I understand the arguments about why a Mac costs as much as it does, but no matter how you slice it, it's a whack o' dough. Had an unexpected thousand bucks not landed in our laps, she might be using Windows now.

post #205 of 214
Quote:

As a business I would think Apple would want to sell as much of everything it makes. So why isn't it?

Because they're proud of the devices they didn't release.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #206 of 214

Guess what there is a new Mac Pro coming out very soon.I found this out from a reliable source.

post #207 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Humans not robots!

Why? Robots never tire, complain, form unions or fight with their coworkers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #208 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

VERY true in our house. We just replaced my wife's MacBook Pro, and I have to admit, as much as I prefer OS X and like the handy features like sync and AirPlay, we were REALLY tempted to switch back this time. Other brands scraping by on razor-thin margins may be bad for them, but it's GREAT for me, and it really heats up the decision making process. I understand the arguments about why a Mac costs as much as it does, but no matter how you slice it, it's a whack o' dough. Had an unexpected thousand bucks not landed in our laps, she might be using Windows now.

Don't expect your Windows machine to last as long or retain the resale value of the MacBook line.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #209 of 214
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Why? Robots never tire, complain, form unions or fight with their coworkers.

They just overthrow mankind and enslave them for centuries within their own minds.

post #210 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They just overthrow mankind and enslave them for centuries within their own minds.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that part...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #211 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So Apple's manufacturing contracts should contain a skynet clause of some kind?

post #212 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't expect your Windows machine to last as long or retain the resale value of the MacBook line.

I still have the Sony Vaio I used for three years before we switched. It's still going strong. And unlike our old Macs, the optical drive still works!

Resale value matters when you drop close to two large. It's less of a concern when the original purchase is less than half that. Whether an extra thousand bucks winds up in my wallet via resale value or savings on the original purchase doesn't really matter.

post #213 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I still have the Sony Vaio I used for three years before we switched. It's still going strong. And unlike our old Macs, the optical drive still works!

Resale value matters when you drop close to two large. It's less of a concern when the original purchase is less than half that. Whether an extra thousand bucks winds up in my wallet via resale value or savings on the original purchase doesn't really matter.

I had a vaio. It only lasted three years before the BSoD. My Mac lasted 7 yrs before dying. And the optical drive did fail mid way through its life.
post #214 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I had a vaio. It only lasted three years before the BSoD. My Mac lasted 7 yrs before dying. And the optical drive did fail mid way through its life.

I don't think I ever owned a Vaio. My PowerPC macs were the ones that failed early or started to experience problems. That was a long time ago, and it's anecdotal either way. When people mention bsod or the mac equivalent, I typically ask them if they upgraded ram prior to that. If they have I ask if they've ever tested it. Sometimes it's a much less expensive fix than a motherboard/logic board replacement.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product