or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Editorial: Apple's billions are building an empire for the future

Editorial: Apple's billions are building an empire for the future - Page 2

post #41 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Apple needs to be careful or it risks being seen as greedy with a subsequent consumer backlash.  Consumers may well ask why they're continuing to pay margins that are significantly greater than those required for the long-term viability of the platform.  Greedy profiteering doesn't tend to go down too well with the public.

While it's true that Apple's gains have been related to its success in increasing revenues, volumes and market share, it's also widely regarded that Apple's margins are by far the highest in the consumer electronics industry, all while sitting on more cash than it knows what to do with.

I think there's already been a major shift in the past 3 or 4 years in how Apple is viewed by the public.  Certainly my opinion has shifted substantially.  With so much cash I expect far more from Apple and am less tolerant to mistakes than I used to be.  I'm also less likely to upgrade just for the sake of it if I see it as simply padding an already massive cash hoard and I'm less vociferous in my recommending Apple products for friends or colleagues.  It's a far cry from when Apple was the underdog in the early 2000s.

Also, Apple no longer has that "golden shield" which was the genuine warmth and affection people had towards Steve Jobs.  Under Steve, Apple could literally get away with anything.  I think Apple's behaviour in hoarding so much cash is a product of and reaction to its experience in nearly going under, something that Steve was obviously deeply affected by.  The danger is being too paranoid about the past.

If people want to nitpick, they'll always find a reason to do so. Apple shouldn't waste its time trying to please tabloid journalists who write trash to get hits. Let's go through the accusations leveled against Apple:

- Labor practices: We've been hearing iHaters criticize Apple for years about using "slave labor." On articles that raked Apple over the coals over labor practices at its contractors' facilities, commenters vehemently declared that they would never buy another Apple product until they moved all production to the US. The funny thing is there wasn't a murmur about dozens of other CE companies using those same slave labor factories. For that matter, the computer that they were using to post such nonsense was probably built in the same "slave labor" factories that they're vilifying Apple for using. It's amazing how everyone loves to point out that Android is destroying Apple and they joyously look forward to the day Android finally finishes off Apple, but when it comes to labor practices, there isn't a murmur about those Android manufacturers using the same terrible factories that people criticize Apple for using.

- Tax avoidance: Apple didn't write the book on tax avoidance. They're just following it. Surpisingly, though, the media has been pretty fair to Apple. As an Apple shareholder, while I don't take issue with Apple's tax avoidance practices, I applaud the media for refraining from the instinct of singling out Apple. 

- Patents: Many love to call Apple a patent troll, conveniently ignoring what a patent troll actually is-an entity whose business revolves around buying up patents with no intent to create a product/service using them but instead, to sue other companies over said patents. Apple has not been in this business. And also, people refuse to acknowledge the fact that an impartial judge ruled in Apple's favor in the cases where Apple won. And Apple has never sought an injunction over a standards-essential patent. Google bought Motorola and has used standards-essential patents to sue Apple, which has caught the ire of European antitrust regulators. For all the criticism of Apple's patent suits, Apple has yet to catch the attention of antitrust authorities. 

You claim that greedy profiteering doesn't go well with the public. Do you know what Microsoft's gross margin is? According to Yahoo! Finance, it's 75% while Apple's gross margin is 40%. Whose doing greedy profiteering? Are you happy about padding Microsoft's enormous profits whenever you buy a PC or buy Microsoft Office?

post #42 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Dude....I hear you. But what other company continues to innovate and upgrade its industry leading products.

Just look at Apple's track record for the iPod (predating the iphone even). Only Apple takes its best products and improves on them. Would there be an Samsung/Android phone if not for Apple.

Look at the MBA or MBP...That's where the loyalty comes from. And don't forget the Apple eco-system..........no other company has even come close to that. Not Google or MS or Amazon or Facebook....Ugh!

You confuse informed product knowledge and good taste with fanboyism! :)

Many companies continue to innovate. Apple is one of the best at it. But they also happen to innovate at a level that consumers can connect with, more so than the innovations that are less visible and nonetheless equally if not more significant.

I don't confuse anything. The problem with some folks is that they will not accept anything resembling a negative comment about Apple. That doesn't make them informed, knowledgeable or in possession of good taste. But I am happy that this forum gives them a place where they can feel good about themselves by bashing others.

post #43 of 142
Quote:

Apple needs to be careful or it risks being seen as greedy with a subsequent consumer backlash.  Consumers may well ask why they're continuing to pay margins that are significantly greater than those required for the long-term viability of the platform.  Greedy profiteering doesn't tend to go down too well with the public.

Apple will charge what the market will support. So far, at least for the last 13 years, people are willing to pay for reliable products.
post #44 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Everyone says that Apple was just lucky to get a couple of successful products and most of that luck relied on Steve Jobs. Now that Steve Jobs is long gone, never to return, Apple is claimed to be finished as a company. Everyone says that Apple's innovation died with Steve Jobs and now the iPhone is woefully behind the entire Android platform. Google spent $12.5 billion on Motorola and seems to have gotten much more money back. Google's shareholder wealth has increased greatly and so has Google's P/E ratio. Wall Street says that Google has a very bright future, unlike Apple, and values Google with high regard. Motorola definitely did not become a financial waste for Google and also provided a deeper patent base. Google has gained many tens of billions of dollars in market cap since acquiring Motorola.

As for Google's other acquisitions, they're providing constant upgrading in services at an astounding rate. What does Apple have to show for itself? It's like Apple is in some sort of service drought. Google is just flooding iOS with all their own services. Apple should keep that crap off the iOS platform and start building their own services. All Google is doing is planting free trojan horse services to undermine iOS. Apple should have more than enough money to acquire or design its own services without having to depend upon Google.

Apple keeps trying to save its reserve cash but so far Apple is only succeeding in losing hundreds of billions of dollars in shareholder value within a relatively short time. That's a very poor trade-off for cash. Apple has has a P/E ratio of 10 while Google now has a P/E ratio of almost 30. Google's value is skyrocketing while Apple's value continues to drop. Google is now worth nearly $1000 per share while Apple struggles to hold $450. Apple's so-called empire must not be very impressive to Wall Street despite dividends and stock repurchases. Apple needs to use that cash to its advantage instead of just saving it. Get that money working to give the company some extra value like Google has.

Apple is still seen as a doomed company by investors and analysts as Android grabs major mobile market share as Apple's market share continues to fall. How is all that reserve cash giving Apple any advantage over anything? Even Samsung is now said to be pummeling Apple from all sides. Everyone still believes Apple is dying without Steve Jobs, so how has all that reserve cash helped Apple.

What an incredible post. "Everyone says" this, and "everyone says" that. The sky is falling. 

"Even Samsung is now said to be pummeling Apple from all sides." Ever hear of the "rope-a-dope"? You've been roped.

post #45 of 142
Daniel,

I continue to recommend you to all the people I encounter who are obviously clueless regarding Apple's operating basis.

A compilation of everything you have written would comprise the definitive history and analysis of Apple.

I'm convinced I could not achieve better understanding were I to work at the Apple campus speaking daily to Apple's movers and shakers.

I am grateful for your accurate insights, consistently proven for a decade of actual history.

I return to this site daily solely in the hope of reading another gem from you.

Very well done. Thank you. Do continue. Other tech journalists are second string at best.

If this seems too effusive I can't help it. You've earned it the old fashioned way with hard work.

F D Bateman
post #46 of 142
Apple works in mysterious ways, always did. This way of inner working is a fundamentally challenging task for the finance world of Wall street to deal with. Wall Street require margin growth, revenue growth and future prospects in order to determine the right valuation or PE multiplier.

Apple on the other hand are not the type of company that will reveal its plans or future products to appease investors. They never will. And without something tangible growth prospects, investors have no other option than to believe there will never be a new innovation or product. Combine that with falling profit-margins and less revenue growth. And you are left with a pricing multiplier that indicates Apple is about to go bankrupt within 3 years. Or valued less than Dell.

Now, if you look at how Apple plan and implement new product categories and product launches, you can see that they always takes their time getting every little detail right. Take the iPhone for instance, they started working on that idea in 2001 - yet it did not release until 2007. But when it did, it had a whole array of improvements and solutions to current problems of cellular phones. This simply enabled them to become a dominant player in that market space, a market space they in fact were never part of before. It gave them a head start of at least 4-5 years in terms of technology. Sure competitors could copy the hardware, but in order to make a decent alternative software wise, they needed the time.

Obviously, you can imagine this is exactly what Apple is trying to do right now. They keep having breakthroughs, they keep coming up with solutions for common problems and they keep refining whatever they are working on. Updated versions of iphone/ipad/ipod is simply a slow chess game they are playing with Samsung. The real goodies are in-house at Apple being perfected as we speak.

Now, before any major launch of new products/categories, you would imagine Apple being in hyperdrive in order to get every last piece right. This would eventually lead to a silence/quiet period. This is exactly where we are right now, we are on the brink of the release of a new major innovation / product category. This is exactly why development of software/hardware/product cycle releases are slowing to a halt. They are about to blow our minds yet again.

For a longterm investor who knows Apple, this would be ideal starting point to invest. But for WallStreet this is simply a sign of Apples demise. Nothing new out already? They ran out of ideas. Yeah right.

Let Tim Cook & Co do their job, and we will be rewarded with some new amazing tech soon. Apples future has never been so bright as it is right now. Stop worrying over Wall Street analysts who can only calculate what is in front of their eyes. Let Apple work its magic secretly. Silence is good.
post #47 of 142

Interesting article. The comparison with Samsung is not relevant, because a chip producer, or part provider, in general, has to make investments which is no concern for a system integrator like Apple.

May be the article should have addressed this "make or buy" typical system integrator issue, for which there are many pro and cons (vertical integration, risk of being superseded/copied by your own component supplier (eg Samsung) , but also capital cost & cost of keeping up with the best available basic technology, which cannot be always "invented here".

post #48 of 142
Quite an interesting article but written from a fawning viewpoint that Apple is wonderful,can do no wrong etc etc.This rather negates its points and suggests that everything in the garden is rosy,which everyone knows is not entirely the case.
One area in which the article is plain wrong is China-there is no doubt that Apple has been too slow to open stores in China.Only 11 at present I believe,with plans to double that.This is hugely insignifcant in a country the size of China,now the world's largest smartphone market,and a market in which Apple is losing out to Android rapidly,and in which it still does not have a deal with the largest telecom there.I hope Apple will be able to rectify their mistakes in China,but it seriously under-estimated potential demand there and how to meet it.
post #49 of 142

"Apple keeps trying to save its reserve cash but so far Apple is only succeeding in losing hundreds of billions of dollars in shareholder value within a relatively short time. That's a very poor trade-off for cash."

Nice one :)

Did Apple lose at least one cent? No? It is just matter between people who could fool other people buy Apple stock with clearly unjustified (at the moment) price. Did Apple sell those stocks? No. Blame Apple for that is silly (to say at least). About this "shareholder value", the only thing that matters to Apple is to see, how much some people are able to manipulate other people with Apples name.

Apple did well. Better than Google or Microsoft or Samsung. Or all of them combined. If it gave opportunity to some people to fool others and strip them from their money, it's something that they should first and foremost blame themselves. And a little bit of blame goes to pundits and analysts who helped play with stocks price. Other than that, I just can't see, what did Apple wrong? Results are better than good, even better than anyone else's (right? 1smile.gif). What more can you ask from a hardware company? If stock fluctuates the way it does, there's maybe somebody else to blame, as the company does what it does and does it well.

Help Macalope, he's fighting alone. 
Help Macalope, he's fighting alone. 
post #50 of 142
I'm not so sure if Apple Stores are a kind of 'money printing' instruments the way Daniel puts it.

It seems to me that these days a retail store needs must-see products in order to keep attracting customers. That could well be why Microsoft and Samsung failed at it, but it is not like Apple Store products will forever evoke the curiosity and turnover they have generated the past years.

As far as I'm concerned, new iPhones and iPads are not worth the trip the way they were a few years ago.

Of course, outstanding service is the other reason to go to the store. And the presence of a store nearby is a very good reason to trust a brand.

But somehow the effect of this doesn't make me see Apple's turnover increase straightly with every extra square foot.
post #51 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

``While pundits and analysts like to focus attention on how Apple is now appears incapable of growing at the same historical pace simply due to the laws of physics....''

Please just don't include subject matter you clearly don't grasp, especially when it's insulting to those that do: ``...due to the laws of physics...'' is obnoxious.

Money is a man-made construct, not a universal physics construct.

P.S. The rest of the Op-Ed is solid.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, it's actually the law of economics. However having said that there could be a tenuous case for making it a physical law in the sense that ultimately and fundamentally, the economic laws are a construct of human consciousness which is manifested as electric and chemical neurotransmitters which themselves obey quantum laws, ergo physical laws.

post #52 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyemahsource View Post

A compilation of everything you have written would comprise the definitive history and analysis of Apple.

Which can be read at his blog:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #53 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

"While its certainly not the end of what Apple's spending its money on, a third significant expenditure that the company is making as an investment in its future is its payments to software developers."

Paying developers is not any part of *spending cash* or investment. I fail to see how it can be lumped in the same discussion as capex. This inclusion spoils what is otherwise an interesting article.

It makes sense as Apple did not have to pay developers to develop Apps for their platform, developers came and were rewarded by making sales, contrast that with Microsoft and RIM who subsidised developers to make applications for them as they could not sustain incomes based on sales alone.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #54 of 142

I need computers. Computers for 3D graphics, for software development, and for engineering. So I hope they invest on making computers, because the Mac is the best computer ever. I'm not interested in any other Apple product, what I need from them is computers, and just computers. If they continue to neglect this segment, I'll go away from Apple, simple as that (and with sadness, because, as I said, the Mac is the best computer ever).

post #55 of 142

The Store Number in China are way too low, even with doubling that number. I am hoping there will be more in 2014. Or it may be the case they simply cant build them fast enough due to Apple's requirements.

The datacenter, are finally catching up, but they are still running way behind if they want to complete on the web, Compared to Microsoft, Amazon, and of coz Google. They will need at least a few more datacenter, in Europe and Asia.

Comparing to Google where they have their whole software on server stack build on severs with commodity parts, Apple are buying proper Enterprise kits with enterprise software. I don't know if that is a good thing, Not only it is hugely expensive, Apple could have learned a lot of web back-end engineering by doing it themselves.

I continue to think Apple are running themselves too thin in the software department. If they were against Microsoft they are more then fine. But they are against Google, which possibly hold all the best of the best engineers on the planet to work for them. And they out number Apple's software engineering by quite a large margin.

And the article... nothing more then a Recap.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

post #56 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitychecks View Post

Wow you're mean.

I don't have to tell you why as my opinion is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I find unjailbroken iOS to be stale and boring. So the **** what. I'll never harp on that or dislike you or others for feeling differently. It is a great OS and will only get better and I'm looking forward to WWDC. It is easily the best all around mobile experience and so far that isn't completely challenged and may never be completely challenged as far as quality and ecosystem go.

Why do you care so much that I find iOS stale? What does my opinion do to your life?

We're all adults here (I think).

If you make an assertion like the one you did here, you should expect to get called out on it to back it up.

I notice that you didn't.
post #57 of 142
Quote:

Let me translate then. An Apple television set would have to be more than a screen. Apple would need to completely redefine how we get full content. And I feel that apple is the ONLY company as of right now who could do so. And I think the world would benefit from such.

Jesus Christ.

When Apple introduced the iPod, it did not have the iTunes Store. When it introduced the iPhone, it did not have the App Store. The only real radical phone content-related feature the iPhone debuted with was visual voicemail. All of the real 'content' happened in due course.

Moreover, Apple makes little or nothing from its content, and makes most of its money in hardware. The content is only there to create an ecosystem as an exit barrier for the customer.

(No need to bring God into it.)
post #58 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

That is indeed an odd metaphor. Perhaps it should have been the laws of economics. Speaking of which, economies are considered by a growing number to be a force of nature.

More like the laws of Biology regarding the dynamics of population growth with limits on resources.

post #59 of 142
Quote:

Or people need to be allowed to have opinions you don't like and you need to get over yourself.

Why can't I, as an individual being with individual opinions that have no power over anyone, feel that iOS is stale?

The "staleness" of iOS has become something of a meme among some vociferous defenders of all things Android.

It makes you come across as a paid blogger, following a script, surrounded by peers doing the same in a building somewhere in Mumbai or wherever it is Samsung hires these people from.

That's just the way it is, if you are not one of those people then you seem like someone who has been brainwashed by them.

So what is not "stale" about Jellybean?

post #60 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

I need computers. Computers for 3D graphics, for software development, and for engineering. So I hope they invest on making computers, because the Mac is the best computer ever. I'm not interested in any other Apple product, what I need from them is computers, and just computers. If they continue to neglect this segment, I'll go away from Apple, simple as that (and with sadness, because, as I said, the Mac is the best computer ever).

It's funny, because they have the best laptop money can buy, they have the best AIO money can buy and they also have the best ultrabook money can buy.

Most likely in 2 months they will also have the best workstation money can buy.

Based on this, I ask:

If Apple gives preferential treatment to iOS but still comes with those products that are the best, why complain and say that you will go elsewhere? That's just something that only a stupid person would say. Don't blame me for pointing the obvious, blame yourself.

post #61 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

If people want to nitpick, they'll always find a reason to do so. (agree) Apple shouldn't waste its time trying to please tabloid journalists who write trash to get hits. Let's go through the accusations leveled against Apple:

- Labor practices: We've been hearing iHaters criticize Apple for years about using "slave labor." On articles that raked Apple over the coals over labor practices at its contractors' facilities, commenters vehemently declared that they would never buy another Apple product until they moved all production to the US. The funny thing is there wasn't a murmur about dozens of other CE companies using those same slave labor factories. (agree) For that matter, the computer that they were using to post such nonsense was probably built in the same "slave labor" factories that they're vilifying Apple for using. (agree)

- Tax avoidance: Apple didn't write the book on tax avoidance. They're just following it. Surpisingly, though, the media has been pretty fair to Apple. As an Apple shareholder, while I don't take issue with Apple's tax avoidance practices, I applaud the media for refraining from the instinct of singling out Apple. (agree)

- Patents: Many love to call Apple a patent troll (huh??), conveniently ignoring what a patent troll actually is-an entity whose business revolves around buying up patents with no intent to create a product/service using them but instead, to sue other companies over said patents. Apple has not been in this business. And also, people refuse to acknowledge the fact that an impartial judge ruled in Apple's favor in the cases where Apple won (and also where they lost). And Apple has never sought an injunction over a standards-essential patent. Google bought Motorola and has used standards-essential patents to sue Apple, which has caught the ire of European antitrust regulators. For all the criticism of Apple's patent suits, Apple has yet to catch the attention of antitrust authorities. 

You claim that greedy profiteering doesn't go well with the public. Do you know what Microsoft's gross margin is? According to Yahoo! Finance, it's 75% while Apple's gross margin is 40%. Whose doing greedy profiteering? Are you happy about padding Microsoft's enormous profits whenever you buy a PC or buy Microsoft Office?

Nice post that I agree with in many ways, but a bit off-target claiming that Google has used SEP's to sue Apple, a common misconception among some members here. In actual fact Google has never sued any company in the world over SEP's. The cases you've confused were all filed by an independent Motorola way before Google even made their initial offer to purchase Moto. Google's worst offense regarding those is letting them play out. I don't personally doubt for a moment that if Apple and Microsoft would agree to drop their Motorola counter-claims that Google would be willing to put those old lawsuits to rest.

I think it just makes some folks happier to imagine Google is just as aggressive in asserting IP claims as some of the "other techs", making their own favorite company's actions more acceptable. Fortunately for the entire industry Google shows a lot or restraint, with just one single IP infringement action in play (British Telecom) and the only one in the 15 year history of Google.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #62 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nice post that I agree with in many ways, but a bit off-target claiming that Google has used SEP's to sue Apple, a common misconception among some members here. In actual fact Google has never sued any company in the world over SEP's. The cases you've confused were all filed by an independent Motorola way before Google even made their initial offer to purchase Moto. Google's worst offense regarding those is letting them play out. I don't personally doubt for a moment that if Apple and Microsoft would agree to drop their Motorola counter-claims that Google would be willing to put those old lawsuits to rest.

I think it just makes some folks happier to imagine Google is just as aggressive in asserting IP claims as some of the "other techs", making their own favorite company's actions more acceptable. Fortunately for the entire industry Google shows a lot or restraint, with just one single IP infringement action in play (British Telecom) and the only one in the 15 year history of Google.

And I personally doubt that Google would have bought Motorola if they didn't believe they could use them to get past the infringement lawsuits.

Separating Google from Motorola is just wordplay as far as I'm concerned. Google owns the company, therefore Google can stop the lawsuits with a phone call. The cases continue and that is down to Google. 

It's a fair tactic, but let's stop painting Google as whiter than white. It does you no credit.

post #63 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Obviously, you can imagine this is exactly what Apple is trying to do right now. They keep having breakthroughs, they keep coming up with solutions for common problems and they keep refining whatever they are working on. Updated versions of iphone/ipad/ipod is simply a slow chess game they are playing with Samsung. The real goodies are in-house at Apple being perfected as we speak.

Now, before any major launch of new products/categories, you would imagine Apple being in hyperdrive in order to get every last piece right. This would eventually lead to a silence/quiet period. This is exactly where we are right now, we are on the brink of the release of a new major innovation / product category. This is exactly why development of software/hardware/product cycle releases are slowing to a halt. They are about to blow our minds yet again.

If you consider what major successes Apple has had, they are always linked to a human need or want. People have a desire to listen to music and Apple came up with the best way to not only have it portable but also to acquire it. Productive computers are also necessary and Apple makes the best hardware aesthetically and best operating system. Communication is necessary and they came up with the best way to interact with a mobile communications device.

For there to be a major development in the works, there similarly has to be a major human want or need for it to satisfy. It wasn't immediately obvious in the case of the iPad what it could be used for but once people started using iPads, the market was clearer.

Apple's biggest successes have been ventures into a new market because they tend to be large deviations from the status quo. So what existing human need is there that requires a large deviation from what currently satisfies it?

One important need is energy. Batteries are in loads of things but they aren't very good and they need to be sorted out before wearable computing is a reality. This goes beyond electronics too and is where the likes of Tesla is making an impact. Biological-electronic interaction is a big step but a necessary one if the human-computer interface is to be improved.

I don't think they are necessarily working on anything major just now. The business is however being run in a way that they plan to be around for a long time and I have no doubt they will play an important role in whatever major developments arise in their area of expertise. The world is a better place with Apple in it and their business operation allows them to stay here.
post #64 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

And I personally doubt that Google would have bought Motorola if they didn't believe they could use them to get past the infringement lawsuits.

Separating Google from Motorola is just wordplay as far as I'm concerned. Google owns the company, therefore Google can stop the lawsuits with a phone call. The cases continue and that is down to Google. 

It's a fair tactic, but let's stop painting Google as whiter than white. It does you no credit.

I said generally the same thing didn't I? Of course Google could put an end to those old lawsuits. . .   and Apple and Microsoft could offer to remove the counter-claim stumbling blocks that prevent just such a withdrawal.

Don't you find it telling that Google hasn't used Moto's IP to attack any of their competitors nor to file new IP claims in those old suits? In essence Google has stopped the lawsuits. IMO that tends to support the widely held belief that Google's purchase was for defensive and not offensive purposes. I doubt you disagree, but if you do then speak up..

Edited by Gatorguy - 5/19/13 at 8:02am
post #65 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I just wish that Apple would spend a fraction of those tens of billions on improving text services for OS X. I waste hours because the spell-checking and particularly the lookup for misspellings is so dreadful. And why can't OS X (and thus all the apps that depend on it) output documents in ePub as easily as in PDF? We've been in the mobile age for almost a decade and Macs still think we output to paper.

And why is moving documents from applications on my Mac to those on my iPhone or iPad such a hassle? Why do I have to use parallel apps with iCloud sharing? Why aren't there send to commands that make sending documents between devices as easy as printing?

Apple likely can do these things, among many other requests. However these are the demands of a minority if users. The needs of the majority will come first and then these sort of 'geek' needs will be considered.

Although I am to some degree as fellow geek and wouldn't mind seeing things such as these, even I would rather they focus on stability and performance first. Being able to Bluetooth files or whatever takes second place to something like creating a system where a poorly coded third app can't suck up the limited RAM in my device or cause the battery to run down in half the time it should.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #66 of 142
Quote:

Find me a lie and I will not post the lie again.

I will, however, continue to have the opinion I have on iOS until iOS changes it. Being mean won't make me change it.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you're expecting Apple to revamp iOS just because you're bored then you'd better jump to Android now.

The folk who complain about iOS being 'stale' need to remember one small thing: they are the insignificant geek contingent that Apple really doesn't have to listen to. What Apple understands is that 'geek stale' = 'consumer stable'. The overwhelming majority of Apple customers do not want sweeping changes made to iOS because they're comfortable with the way it works. They don't care that you can't change the width of the scroll bars. They don't want to add gadgets until the battery runs out as soon as you switch it on. Apple caters for the busy consumer, not the OS geek who wants to spend all his time fiddling with his phone rather than use it.  You'll see workflow improvements, UI refinements and under-the-hood enhancements, but look back through history: Apple hasn't changed their mobile UI since the Newton. Are there things I don't like about iOS? Yup, lots (why can't I select all email messages and delete them in one go), but I like to think they're genuine usability issues and not just complaints that I'm a bit bored. It's a phone, not a Transformer toy.

Not sure why folk are giving you such a hard time for having an opinion though. That used to be okay around here.

post #67 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

i hope so...

Only Apple can do a full size TV right.

Where all my TV, including Sports is a la carte, especially Formula One and Tennis via ATV/iTunes. And no inane commercials. And free "Apple wifi"  ("F" the cable companies)

And, where free FaceTime is my only "cell" service. ("F" Sprint, Verizon, and ATT)

Where all my non-personal "paid for" media content is accessible via icloud, think: iTunes Match. (which means I don't massive amounts of expensive SDRAM on my devices)

Where my TC has a backup of all my personal photos, home movies, etc., (along with iCloud) and not only the router but the modem included in one unit-(one less ugly non Apple modem and an ugly power brick).

Where I only need an iPhone, iPad Mini and the biggest screen in my home is my Apple TV. No more desktops or laptops!

I want Apple to succeed. I don't want my life controlled by unimaginative Korean, Chinese, Google, Motorola, Dell, MS, HP, Yahoo, Nokia, Sony, Facebook, HTC, sh*thead engineers! 1smile.gif

None of your list actually needs Apple to go near a 'real' television. In fact several of your 'where' list have nothing to do with iOS or even Apple but outside issues like copyrights and studio SOP, Internet bandwidths etc.

post #68 of 142
Quote:

Under Steve, Apple could literally get away with anything.  

You mean like they got away with the poor launch of MobileMe, or those 'every cell phone does it' antenna issues. Steve never admitted that Apple failed etc

post #69 of 142
Quote:

The fact that at least two posters (one a troll masquerading as a moderator) found my passing opinion swimming in a sea of praise to be so offensive as to warrant being rude as hell and derail topics is completely out of my control.

Get a grip, and enough with the wounded whining (sorry to be rude). If you can't take the heat, avoid the kitchen.

So you dislike the 'static' nature of the home screen in iOS. Let's assume lots of people care about that (although I doubt it). What is 'dynamic' about Android, and in what ways does its dynamic nature enhance your workflow, or your ability to get anything done?
post #70 of 142
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
What is 'dynamic' about Android…

Animated wallpapers! Animated icons! Animated lock screens!

post #71 of 142
Quote:

Under Steve, Apple could literally get away with anything.

MobileMe constantly failing
Ping
Antennae gate

All under Steve, all things Apple didn't get away with. One to the point of lawsuits etc

post #72 of 142
Daniel E.D.,
I know from the headline Daniel is about to speak and my day is made. Not guff and nonsense from your pen.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #73 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Not sure why folk are giving you such a hard time for having an opinion though. That used to be okay around here.

I think there's a huge difference between 'opinion' and a bland, unsupported assertion.

I have zero problems with opinions. But I do have a problem when someone can't back up his assertions. (In all fairness, he finally tried to articulate what he meant by 'stale'; he still hasn't responded to how he thinks Android is dynamic and how that matters; and he hasn't responded to why 'content' is important for Apple to succeed with its TV). .
post #74 of 142
Quote:

Tell us why. Or shut up.

I wish more of your posts would disappear......

Unnecessary and rude. Makes you look like a jerk. Particularly when you can add someone to your ignore list and their posts do disappear, more or less (you still have to see if they are quoted but otherwise

post #75 of 142
Quote:

Let me translate then. An Apple television set would have to be more than a screen. Apple would need to completely redefine how we get full content. And I feel that apple is the ONLY company as of right now who could do so. And I think the world would benefit from such.

Restructuring content and content distribution does not in any way require Apple to build a real tv. Because its about pricing, timing, quality etc not about what you use with the media.

In regards to the living room etc. That little box is all they actually need. A revamped Cinema Display that could work with that box wouldn't hurt but it isn't required.

post #76 of 142
Don't use any of those.

Great advice.

post #77 of 142
Apple is still doing well enough in the hardware and retail spaces but in services/apps/software it is really falling behind the likes of Google etc... I feel they're really neglecting that crucial part of the Apple ecosystem and have been so now for too long. I want to see some hope for the future in S/A/S next month at the WWDC. As 'inkling' mentioned here, even something as basic as OS X's spell-check is awful, and these little things are endemic through out the platform. It should be their top priority, not a second or third tier one.
post #78 of 142
Quote:

Utter nonsense. Name one successful company that has suffered such a 'consumer backlash.'

Ignorance breeds ignorant opinions. Simple.

post #79 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Animated wallpapers! Animated icons! Animated lock screens!

Comic Sans as a system wide font!

post #80 of 142
Quote:

As far as home screens go I just like the more desktop like feel of Android's homescreen compared to iOS's app launcher feel. IOS feels like the apo drawer of Android.

Nothing says "stale" more than Android's weather clock, courtesy of HTC's old winmo phones.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Editorial: Apple's billions are building an empire for the future