or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Production of Apple's 33% lighter fifth-gen iPad to begin in July

Rumor: Production of Apple's 33% lighter fifth-gen iPad to begin in July - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I want to see them pay more attention to speakers. For example, the speakers in my new iMac sound worse than my 5 year old iMac. I'm not gong to explain that last point. Suffice it say they do sound worse, and no, there is nothing wrong with them. The 5 mm chin was just a shitty trade off, and ultimately a bad design decision. .

You can't violate the laws of physics. If you want good sound, you have to push air. The smaller the speaker and the smaller the amp power, the worse the sound. The smaller the cabinet, the less the bass.

Modern TVs have the same problem because the cabinets are so thin. TVs had better sound in 1954 than they have today.

It's a miracle Apple's products sound as good as they do. But when they prioritize "thinness" over every other aspect, there are going to be sacrifices and good native sound is one of them. IMO, Apple's obsession with thin is one of their faults.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgirlfeelsold View Post

I won't attack you for disliking the speakers because I'm something of an audiophile myself, but having said that I never expect mass market products like phones, tablets, and computers to have quality speakers. 

Never? And getting worse is different to decent. The iMac speakers got worse. I'm not looking for audiophile quality. I'm looking for iPad speakers where I can listen to a podcast when I'm cooking.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

You can't violate the laws of physics. If you want good sound, you have to push air. The smaller the speaker and the smaller the amp power, the worse the sound. The smaller the cabinet, the less the bass.

Modern TVs have the same problem because the cabinets are so thin. TVs had better sound in 1954 than they have today.

It's a miracle Apple's products sound as good as they do. But when they prioritize "thinness" over every other aspect, there are going to be sacrifices and good native sound is one of them. IMO, Apple's obsession with thin is one of their faults.

When it comes to the iMac it most definitely is a fault. The new iMac is way thinner than the old one, but I literally don't benefit from the thinness one bit, besides been able to say to people, "look how thin my desktop is". Which I usually follow with, "but it sucks that the sound is worse". I'm an amateur musician, I play sax, guitar and piano. I'm big into music; music is very important to me. I'm not however, an anal audiophile. But the sound in the new iMac does slightly sound like I'm hearing the sound after being pushed through a workman's street cone. I'd much rather if they made the chin edge 10 mm, to get back some normality to the sound. Ah well.
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Trolling are we? The iPad has a very long ways to go before it can be considered powerful enough.

Meaningless statement. It can't be considered powerful enough FOR WHAT?

If you think it should replace supercomputers or even desktop computers, you're right. But for its stated purpose, the iPad is plenty fast for most people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamayub View Post

For me the most important improvements should be in software. See http://expertcomputing.co.uk/2013/03/8-ways-apple-can-better-the-ipad/

Most of those ideas are ridiculous - and would be a huge step backward. If you want a crappy Android tablet, buy one. No need for Apple to crappify their product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When it comes to the iMac it most definitely is a fault. The new iMac is way thinner than the old one, but I literally don't benefit from the thinness one bit, besides been able to say to people, "look how thin my desktop is". Which I usually follow with, "but it sucks that the sound is worse". I'm an amateur musician, I play sax, guitar and piano. I'm big into music; music is very important to me. I'm not however, an anal audiophile. But the sound in the new iMac does slightly sound like I'm hearing the sound after being pushed through a workman's street cone. I'd much rather if they made the chin edge 10 mm, to get back some normality to the sound. Ah well.

If sound is important to you, why in the world are you relying on the internal speakers of your iMac?

Portables are one thing since carrying a set of speakers is a pain. But why in the world wouldn't you have a decent set of speakers attached to your iMac? Even if they made the computer thicker, it's never going to provide high quality sound.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #45 of 45
I really want to get the iPad 5. I am waiting patiently to change my iPad 2. Main reason for the change is to get the 128Gb capacity since I own a 64Gb iPad 2, but better to wait till the launch the newest version. I don't want to buy the iPad 4 and only a week later, see the iPad 5 being launched. So, I patiently wait.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Production of Apple's 33% lighter fifth-gen iPad to begin in July
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Production of Apple's 33% lighter fifth-gen iPad to begin in July