or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple testing 1.5" OLED displays for wearable 'iWatch'

Rumor: Apple testing 1.5" OLED displays for wearable 'iWatch' - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I see a good number of people in my tech-centric workplace wearing Pebble watches and Fitbits

The Pebble doesn't seem like a very good device. They have shipped about 70,000 units over the last few months of the 85,000 backers at $150.

It uses an e-ink display to get a few days battery life. It charges with a magnetic power plug on the side:

No touch input, just the side buttons, no real apps yet. I'd say Sony's smartwatch would be a closer fit if Apple was doing something:

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/accessories/smartwatch/

UK price is £79 so it'll probably be around $100. It doesn't mention screen size but a 1.5" OLED display would fit. Perhaps someone mistook the supplies to be for Apple instead of Sony. It needs to be charged daily and because it's OLED, can't be easily read in sunlight, which is no doubt why the Pebble went for e-ink. e-ink isn't good for multi-touch though because it doesn't refresh fast enough.

Apple could build it like the old iPod Nano with LCD. It would be good for changing music tracks when out running and seeing notifications but fairly limited usage. The market would be people who own an iPhone because it can't function as a standalone iPod. Without an iPhone, it would basically be a $100-150 digital watch. That's still a big potential audience (> 300m) but it's not obvious how they'd charge it and if a lot of people would be ok charging their watch regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 
Glasses will probably take another 5-10 yrs to catch on, unless you're an Iron Man suit designer like Tony Stark.

The battery life of Google Glasses is pretty bad it seems:

http://bgr.com/2013/05/01/google-glass-battery-life/

5 hours average use and with video recording thrown in, just a couple of hours.
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Pebble doesn't seem like a very good device. They have shipped about 70,000 units over the last few months of the 85,000 backers at $150.

If nothing else, I think it's an indication of a possibly sizable market demand for a smart watch.
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

This whole watch idea is such a joke. Anyone that would wear one of these needs their head checking. Would look absolutely ridiculous. It will just be a poorer secondary screen to your iphone. Stupid

I can think of several ways this would be a highly desirable product for me...

First, it needs to be reasonably water-resistant, enough for light swimming.  It would be great to be able to keep my iPhone in a water tight container or in the cabin on my boat, jetski, or even when I'm out in the rain, skiing in the snow, etc... 

Next, it needs to have a good selection of remote capabilities.  I don't want to watch movies on it or play Grand Theft Auto, but if I can get my email, control music apps, and see text messages and notifications, that would be great.  If it was Siri capable so I could respond, that would be even better.

For an added bonus, it would be great if it had iPod functionality on its own.  A fair amount of storage and ability to play media via Airplay and Bluetooth would be very cool.  There are times I might want to go running and don't want to bring my iPhone, so being able to play music to Bluetooth headphones from the watch would be very nice.

Battery life isn't all that important.  If it's "rated for 2 days" that's fine.  As long as I can go a solid day+ on a charge, I'm perfectly fine with docking it when I go to sleep at night.

There are also a bunch of other things that could be unique to a watch interface.  For example, it could have custom vibrations so that you could tell who you got a message or call from, as well as other alerts.  Likewise, there are a bunch of biometric features it could have.

All of this is feasible and doable today, it's just a matter of Apple taking the time to "get it right".

And there could be a whole lot more... for example, there could be full phone functionality in the watch and as long as the carriers supported (free) dynamic activation switching, the watch could be something that becomes a mini-iPhone.  I would absolutely love this feature!  It would give people like me freedom from having to carry an iPhone places where it's awkward or risky (pools, beach, small boats, etc...), while still being absolutely connected.  No doubt we'd also be pleasantly surprised by 3rd party apps that provided all kinds of additional functionality.

post #44 of 64
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

This whole watch idea is such a joke. Anyone that would wear one of these needs their head checking. Would look absolutely ridiculous. It will just be a poorer secondary screen to your iphone. Stupid

+1

iWatch is just too big to be a usable wearable and/or health monitoring device with the potential addressable market of the current iPod nano customer base which is big but shrinking day by day.

neither of you knows squat.

post #45 of 64
Quote:

The battery life of Google Glasses is pretty bad it seems...

I'm not fond of the privacy invasion of that product. If Apple announces anything like that in the next 5 years I'll be severely disappointed. How could you take a product like that seriously? 'How about now, are you videoing me now?'

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #46 of 64
More Iwatch, comeon
post #47 of 64

I hope that, when all is said and done, Christopher Walken can hide the iWatch up his ass.

post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

I hope that, when all is said and done, Christopher Walken can hide the iWatch up his ass.

Why, since a slope already had his/her greasy yellow hands on it? lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I would be. So would three other people I know.

What does that prove?

That I'm not interested in such a device.  I thought that was pretty self evident.  Whether that proves whether this is a niche product or not remains to be seen.  There is a fact out there that can substantiate what I am saying in a broader context and that is that fewer and fewer people buy or wear watches.

post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I consider myself pretty athletic; everyday I'm either biking, running, hiking or swimming; but I can't wrap my head around wearing one.

Sure, if it turns out to be real, they will sell millions. I am one person, not the entire market, but I can't see buying this when my iphone/iPod already does all of this on a larger screen

Just my .02 of course.

That's interesting that you wouldn't necessarily wear one.  Nike+ tracks your moves.  What if this iWrist device did all that Nike+ does (i.e. location, distance, speed, time, heart rate, steps, etc.) and more?  The more being tracking it to the cloud for trending you running (or biking) seeing where you've been before and planning new routes based on other people's runs.  That might be interesting.

To make it more interesting I'd want wireless bluetooth earbuds and Siri giving me vocal updates while also taking commands without me touching the device.  I don't want to visually interact with it when I'm in the zone, rather it should be like a training mate.  

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I would not be interested in such a device.  Athletic types might be though.  Runners etc that is.  This is probably a replacement for one of the iPods.

Then I guess it's a good thing that you're not the only possible customer out there.

I could picture buying one - if the appearance is OK and it does what is claimed. It would be nice to be able to see who's calling or what an incoming text says without having to take my phone out of its case during a meeting.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

I don't know why so many people are so negative about this rumor. It doesn't matter that you haven't worn a watch in X years, or you think "a watch is just a fashion statement". You are falling into the trap of thinking about a "watch" in terms defined long ago.

Exactly. The same people were probably saying that they'd never want a touchscreen phone. Or a phone to play games. Or a music player in their pocket.

It's not even an actual product at this point - it may not even be a prototype. Saying that one couldn't use a product without knowing anything about it is absurd - and the height of arrogance.

I have no idea if Apple will ever release such a product. I can, however, see a great deal of potential - which is probably why there are already several manufacturers of similar products.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

(it's amazing how many people cant figure out 4.99 for 24oz is a lot better than 3.99 for 20ozs), and stuff like that.

Funny, because $4.99 for 24 oz isn't better than $3.99 for 20 oz.

I know it's SOP here to sh1t on Google, but the concept of privacy has already been pretty well undone by the camera phone. It takes about 2 seconds to throw an iPhone into a video recording mode and easy enough to walk around recording unnoticed. Contrast with the currently obvious nature of Google Glass, it would be a lot easier to notice that you might want to ensure the person isn't recording you than the stealth recording from a phone.
post #54 of 64
"Slide to unlock." Sheesh. The one thing there would definitely not be on a watch. Hello!
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

"Slide to unlock." Sheesh. The one thing there would definitely not be on a watch. Hello!

What would be cool is the clasp on the watch band being able to detect when it's been removed which would then lock the display, go into power-saving mode, and prevent any visual, haptic or auditory notifications. You would need a way to alter this in settings for those that don't sleep with a watch on, but that could be simple, especially if it's within range of the phone it's paired with.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I know it's SOP here to sh1t on Google, but the concept of privacy has already been pretty well undone by the camera phone. It takes about 2 seconds to throw an iPhone into a video recording mode and easy enough to walk around recording unnoticed. Contrast with the currently obvious nature of Google Glass, it would be a lot easier to notice that you might want to ensure the person isn't recording you than the stealth recording from a phone.

I'd think it's easier to notice a person holding a phone. Glass is a lot smaller as well. Straight-on, Glass has a small fraction of the face-on area of a phone.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then I guess it's a good thing that you're not the only possible customer out there.

I could picture buying one - if the appearance is OK and it does what is claimed. It would be nice to be able to see who's calling or what an incoming text says without having to take my phone out of its case during a meeting.

Indeed.  I would speculate that at best it is a niche market.  People buy iPods for music primarily.  Now more people buy iPhones for making calls, music, photography linked to their favorite social media site, and play games when they are bored.  What role does this device fill that is begging to be filled (and that Pebble has not already reached)?  Telling time better than a watch?  We'll see if this ever come to existence by Apple.

post #58 of 64

Will it explode when you try to take it off?

post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

Every time I look at the iWatch mock-up, I just imagine that 'slide to unlock' would actually unlock the watch and it would fall off your wrist!

Of course, I'd buy something like this if Apple does make it.

post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

If a small company in the UK can put all of this tech into a watch then I'm looking forward to seeing Apple's version.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/orsto-x1-the-ultimate-smart-watch

Yes it's fairly ugly but it's an impressive feat.

Saying that, we know what Apple are like when they create a new product. they don't necessarily do all they can so they have something easy to update next time.

Is that thing a joke? It has a stylus... How'd that work out for Fossil?

Anyway, they've made nothing except a render.

post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Is that thing a joke? It has a stylus... How'd that work out for Fossil?

Anyway, they've made nothing except a render.

Here's a production Android watch, even with portrait support:

Even with that size of battery, there's a review here says the battery life is quite bad:

http://www.linuxslate.org/Review_Z1_Android-2.2-Watch.html

This is one reason competitors like RIM were sceptical about the iPhone when it launched because they didn't think it would last very long. They didn't realise how big they'd made the battery inside:

If Apple came up with an amazing battery breakthrough (they make their own batteries), it would make wearing computing a reality. A basic notification watch would probably last a day or two with current tech but it would have to have a fairly low price.
post #62 of 64
Quote:

Holy crap! Why develop the device when you can just make an ugly watch band for an existing phone design?
post #63 of 64
Quote:

Whoa.  They might call that a "watch", but it's more like one of the old wrist computer ideas.

Here are some Android based watches that fit the "watch" description better:

Personally, I would be a bit disappointed if all Apple did was a watch in the same style, and make it require an iPhone nearby.  I think they have something else up their sleeve.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Quote:
If Apple came up with an amazing battery breakthrough (they make their own batteries), it would make wearing computing a reality. A basic notification watch would probably last a day or two with current tech but it would have to have a fairly low price.

Yep, I think we're all convinced (and hopeful) that the next big mobile breakthrough will be about battery life.

post #64 of 64

Clunky ass phone. There's no reason Apple won't do a watch or tv. I'm guessing they'll be more elegant and work with the 'eco system.'

We're guessing until they actually make one of either.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple testing 1.5" OLED displays for wearable 'iWatch'