or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts new iPhone discounts, subsidies to gain ground in India
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple debuts new iPhone discounts, subsidies to gain ground in India

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Apple is continually trying new methods to get its products into the hands of Indian consumers, and the Cupertino company recently rolled out a range of new offers to attract iPhone buyers in the world's second-most populous country.

iphone


Apple has begun offering trade-in rebates for Indian students bringing in their old smartphones to upgrade to an iPhone. Students will get 7,777 rupees ($144) off the cost of an iPhone, while non-students will get a 7,000 rupee ($130) discount, according to ZDNet.

Indian consumers can also take advantage of an up to 6,000 rupee ($111) refund for American Express customers purchasing an iPhone 4, 4S, or 5 before June 10. The deal requires that the AmEx card be used to purchase the handset on one of Apple's installment plans in the country.

Under the plan, a customer purchasing a 16GB iPhone 5 would receive a $70 rebate, provided that the plan has six monthly installments of 2,374 rupees ($43), plus a 9,990 rupee ($181.50) down 3payment.

Developing markets such as India have proved something of a problem for Apple, which typically prices its products in the premium range. As the company has done in China, Apple rolled out installment plans for Indian consumers, and has seen some measures of success.

Currently engaged in a price war with rival Samsung in the country, Apple is said to be planning to triple its retail operations in-country. The iPhone maker doesn't maintain any of its own retail stores in India, but it will have more than 200 reseller locations in the country by 2015.

The iPhone has taken second place in Indian market share due to Apple's efforts. Apple devices took roughly 15.6 percent of smartphone revenue in India. That figure, though, was far behind Samsung's total of 38.8 percent share.
post #2 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is continually trying new methods to get its products into the hands of Indian consumers, and the Cupertino company recently rolled out a range of new offers to attract iPhone buyers in the world's second-most populous coutnry.

we didn't have time to run a spell-checker the first time around, but we do have time to read the comments and fix it later.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #3 of 37
Build them a wooden iPhone. They will snap it up.
post #4 of 37
Looks like this does, indeed, presage the arrival of a cheaper iPhone, contrary to my prior hope and belief.

Apple is testing out price elasticity.
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Build them a wooden iPhone. They will snap it up.

Who is "them"?
post #6 of 37
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Who is "them"?


Beavers.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Build them a wooden iPhone. They will snap it up.

I'd rather see a left-handed Galaxy 4 -- that would be really well received 1smile.gif
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #8 of 37
Please, no talk of toilet paper

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Who is "them"?

Oops. Awkward. 

post #10 of 37

The only way to wrestle China Mobile when they start with the "you need us in order to grow"... Own india.

post #11 of 37
But I thought Apple was making a cheap phone for them because there's no way the 'real' iPhone will ever sell there.

They must stop these discounts or they might cannilbalize the cheap phone

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Beavers.

I like big brown beavers like Wynona has.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Who is "them"?


Beavers.

1confused.gif

 

Are you trying to be funny or offensive?

post #14 of 37
What's your point?
post #15 of 37
Quite a difference from our smart phone market here in Canada.
My Canadian very successful mobile carrier has proposed a cash takeover of one of the newer lower than top 3 phone carriers, which has simply been piling up debt.

The failed carrier refused to carry the iPhone, that killed them!
post #16 of 37
Under the plan, a customer purchasing a 16GB iPhone 5 would receive a $70 rebate, provided that the plan has six monthly installments of 2,374 rupees ($43), plus a 9,990 rupee ($181.50) down 3payment.

I doubt that the price mentioned above is for iphone 4 and not 5. If all calculations are summed up 16 GB iphone's cost comes around only 440 USD (roughly 24000 to 25000 INR). Pls check.
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Looks like this does, indeed, presage the arrival of a cheaper iPhone, contrary to my prior hope and belief.

Apple is testing out price elasticity.

How is this move indicative of a cheaper iPhone? On the contrary, I think hardly any of those people would replace the phones they just recently bought with a new low-budget iPhone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But I thought Apple was making a cheap phone for them because there's no way the 'real' iPhone will ever sell there.

They must stop these discounts or they might cannilbalize the cheap phone

Exactly what I was thinking. Can't make head or tail of it either.
post #18 of 37
Apple should do the same in Brazil. iPhone sales in Brazil are ridiculous.The iPhone5 unlocked is $1.800,00, 2x more than in US.
post #19 of 37
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Are you trying to be funny or offensive?

 

I don't know many women who'd want to stick wood inside them (men, for that matter), and since beavers have a penchant for that building material… 

 

OH! I just got the… "wood" is a double… I see. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But I thought Apple was making a cheap phone for them because there's no way the 'real' iPhone will ever sell there.

 

It doesn't, really, so Apple's only choice is to offer a cheaper phone.  

 

They can either build a special model, or discount the current prices through promotions like this one.   

 

 

Quote:
They must stop these discounts or they might cannilbalize the cheap phone

 

I lol'd.  Best line of the day.

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Build them a wooden iPhone. They will snap it up.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Beavers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I don't know many women who'd want to stick wood inside them (men, for that matter), and since beavers have a penchant for that building material… 

 

OH! I just got the… "wood" is a double… I see. 

 I know why I do not come to this forum regularly anymore, with these types of comments and cheap shots. Maybe Indians are smart enough not to accept the inflated prices of all high end smartphones from various companies that is easily accepted in the 'other' countries.

post #22 of 37
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post
Maybe Indians are smart enough not to accept the inflated prices of all high end smartphones from various companies that is easily accepted in the 'other' countries.

 

What makes you think you can call those prices "inflated"?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What makes you think you can call those prices "inflated"?

By the sheer margins/profits that companies are obtaining by selling such phones in 'other' countries. The companies would have undertaken market research to understand, what is acceptable in the 'high profit markets and set the price accordingly. It has been documented what margins for Samsung & Apple phones are in western markets, so your question could have been answered by yourself.

I doubt you were looking for a discussion with me, but again defending your pride and joy.

 

E.g., With concern to US market, phones are supported by Telecon companies, BUT you screwed with cost of calls. My mobile bill in India is much cheaper, then I was even living in US and I make International calls on my phone from India to around the world. You are still paying for the phone, just in indirect fashion.

 

Not going to provide links, since you can do your own research right here in appleinsider.com

post #24 of 37
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post
By the sheer margins/profits that companies are obtaining by selling such phones in 'other' countries.

 

I'll reword my original question, since you don't seem to get it: What gives you the right to say the price of a thing is "inflated"?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I'll reword my original question, since you don't seem to get it: What gives you the right to say the price of a thing is "inflated"?


I do get it, you DON'T get my answer and then assume to state that I don't get your comments, maybe you need to be more clear and direct. Real arrogance shown by you. I am a consumer, I can have my opinion or is this not free forum for discussion as I assumed.

post #26 of 37
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post
…maybe you need to be more clear and direct.

 

… I cannot be more clear or direct than either of the questions I have asked.

 

The prices are not inflated. They are the same worldwide. No one else in any other country has any trouble paying these prices. So I say to you: What makes you think that they are "inflated", and what would give you the right to say that, given the evidence?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

… I cannot be more clear or direct than either of the questions I have asked.

 

The prices are not inflated. They are the same worldwide. No one else in any other country has any trouble paying these prices. So I say to you: What makes you think that they are "inflated", and what would give you the right to say that, given the evidence?

 

As stated in my previous reply, I was talking about the margin/profit from such smartphones, but ignore that comment and focused on cost of the phones worldwide, so you did not get my statement or unable to show it is wrong. Anyway time to move on, your agrument has no evidence.

So you understand, this is what I am talking about.

 

"Margin (on sales) is the difference between selling price and cost. This difference is typically expressed either as a percentage of selling price or on a per-unit basis. Managers need to know margins for almost all marketing decisions. Margins represent a key factor in pricing, return on marketing spending, earnings forecasts, and analyses of customer profitability." In a survey of nearly 200 senior marketing managers, 78 percent responded that they found the "margin %" metric very useful while 65 percent found "unit margin" very useful. "A fundamental variation in the way people talk about margins lies in the difference between percentage margins and unit margins on sales. The difference is easy to reconcile, and managers should be able to switch back and forth between the two.

 

 

So margin on High end smartphones are suitable to 'other countries', but Indians will not pay for such high priced phones, since their cost of living is 60% lower than USA and you are selling the these products at the same cost. I am talking about unlocked phones, not phones supported by mobile companies, since this makes the cost affordable, which does not work as a business model in India for other reasons.

 

Another example is medicines, you will go bankrupt in USA being treated for Cancer, but in India the same medicine will be cost you  25-40% of the USA price (depending on brand) Again Indians will not pay such high prices, since they cost of living is lower and comapnies have to conform or not do business in India.  Another example is Bariatric surgery (weight loss surgery)  this costs 25-40,000in USA and India costs USD 7-10,000. The doctors are same educated as US doctors and obtained their postgraduate training in western hospitals. Apple have to manufacture a low-cost phone like Samsung, Nokia and other to gain substanital market in India, since we will not accept such high costs.

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

… I cannot be more clear or direct than either of the questions I have asked.

 

The prices are not inflated. They are the same worldwide. No one else in any other country has any trouble paying these prices. So I say to you: What makes you think that they are "inflated", and what would give you the right to say that, given the evidence?

In your mind you are clear and direct, your opinion..lol

post #29 of 37
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post
…that comment and focused on cost of the phones worldwide, so you did not get my statement or unable to show it is wrong. Anyway time to move on, your agrument has no evidence.

 

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is $649 in India.


And you're claiming MY argument doesn't exist? Pathetic.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is $649 in India.


And you're claiming MY argument doesn't exist? Pathetic.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is $649 in India.


And you're claiming MY argument doesn't exist? Pathetic.

 

You are pathetic you jump from one agrument to next,..LOL no wonder you have put so much quantity not on forum.

 

Lets see how long I can keep you going..1rolleyes.gif

 

Again Indians are not buying HIGH smartphones because there are too expensive, unless you drop the price....btw They dropped the price in India, since in Australia it is USD$725 (after price drop as well), oh that is the same price as other countries..USA is not only country..lol

 

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s4-sees-a-price-drop-now-available-for-rs-40000/872968, You can get it for Rs37,000 (USD 668) read the article.

 

http://www.saverscene.com.au/mobile-phones/8010-best-price-australia-samsung-galaxy-s4-i9500-16gb-black-white-kogan.html

 

lastly UK cost is the same rate...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-16GB-Black-Smartphone/dp/B00BULARVA (USD 757)

 

LOL !

 

I provide factual links!


Edited by souliisoul - 5/25/13 at 1:26pm
post #31 of 37
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Again Indians are not buying HIGH smartphones because there are too expensive, unless you drop the price...

 

Apple isn't doing that. End of discussion. You want a cheaper one, you buy the older model. Simple.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Apple isn't doing that. End of discussion. You want a cheaper one, you buy the older model. Simple.


Oh you did not follow-up on my last comment, but replied to old comment, LOL you are funny boy.

 

Samsung S4 (you decided to use S4 as reference not me..lol, for Apple guy, little silly) UK launch price was USD 954 and India launch price was USD 740, Yes the prices were the same worldwide..LOL

 

http://www.whathifi.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s4-price-confirmed-as-pre-orders-open-in-uk  and in india http://www.gsmarena.com/sams

 

I asked you to provide links again, no links hot air.

 

For all exchange rates, i use https://www.google.co.in/search?q=exchange+rate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

 

Btw you reputation supports my comments http://stuff-appletards-say.blogspot.in/p/blog-page.html  and if it shows the post does not exist, then click on this link and you own title in main page ..lol  http://stuff-appletards-say.blogspot.in/   lol bye bye


Edited by souliisoul - 5/25/13 at 2:10pm
post #33 of 37
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post
Oh you did not follow-up on my last comment, but replied to old comment, LOL you are funny boy.

 

I just don't give a crap. I'm responding to my original argument.


…UK launch price was USD 954 and India launch price was USD 740

 

The point being the price is roughly the iPhone price. Your utter failure in understanding that Apple doesn't make utter crap, nor do they want to, renders your argument moot.


I asked you to provide links again, no links hot air.

 

What reason could I possibly have for providing links to something you've invented on your own? I don't care about what you're saying; pay attention to what I'm saying. The iPhone is the equivalent of the Galaxy S4. If the iPhone is "too expensive", so is the S4. Neither are. If Apple sells fewer iPhones in India, Samsung sells fewer S4s. 

Apple. Doesn't. Care. That. Cheaper. Phones. Exist.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I just don't give a crap. I'm responding to my original argument.

 

The point being the price is roughly the iPhone price. Your utter failure in understanding that Apple doesn't make utter crap, nor do they want to, renders your argument moot.

 

What reason could I possibly have for providing links to something you've invented on your own? I don't care about what you're saying; pay attention to what I'm saying. The iPhone is the equivalent of the Galaxy S4. If the iPhone is "too expensive", so is the S4. Neither are. If Apple sells fewer iPhones in India, Samsung sells fewer S4s. 

Apple. Doesn't. Care. That. Cheaper. Phones. Exist.

Yep the blog about you is right, at least you can not ban me for not agreeing with you..lol

 

I said HIGH END SMARTYPHONES..that includes S4, IPhone, HTC one, BB Z10...never said S4 was cheaper...man do you make this crap up in your mind and you should be nicknamed the 'Twister'..lol

 

Apple Doesn't. Care. that Cheaper. Phones. Exist...LMAO, that's why Apple are considering a cheaper iPhone for emerging markets..LMAO..you really are full of it.

 

Do not try to make me out a S4 supporter, I been an Apple buyer longer than probably you! I commenting on HIGH END SMARTPHONE situation in India..please read last sentence slowly..lol

 

You seem to be talked about for all wrong reasons...read the second post on this page http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1432224&page=2


Edited by souliisoul - 5/25/13 at 2:18pm
post #35 of 37
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post
I said HIGH END SMARTYPHONES..that includes S4, IPhone, HTC one, BB Z10...never said S4 was cheaper...

 

Again, pay attention to what I'm saying. Your complaint that the iPhone is too expensive is unfounded. Other companies' phones are the same price as the iPhone in India. 

Where these companies differ is in their low cost offerings. Apple doesn't make cheap, plastic, throwaway crap. Others do.


…that's why Apple are considering a cheaper iPhone for emerging markets…

 

Do you… always take rumors as fact? Because that doesn't work. Talk about full of it.


Do not try to make me out a S4 supporter…

 

Said nor implied nothing of the sort.


I commenting on HIGH END SMARTPHONE situation in India…

 

And again, Apple does not need to make the iPhone cheaper, because the iPhone is not a low end phone.


You seem to be talked about for all wrong reasons...read the second post on this page http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1432224&page=2

 

So you take as fact both rumors and… MacRumors, a site where you are banned for liking Apple and banned for reporting accounts which do nothing but lie about Apple.

 

That's hilarious.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Again, pay attention to what I'm saying. Your complaint that the iPhone is too expensive is unfounded. Other companies' phones are the same price as the iPhone in India. 

Where these companies differ is in their low cost offerings. Apple doesn't make cheap, plastic, throwaway crap. Others do.

 

Do you… always take rumors as fact? Because that doesn't work. Talk about full of it.

 

Said nor implied nothing of the sort.

 

And again, Apple does not need to make the iPhone cheaper, because the iPhone is not a low end phone.

 

So you take as fact both rumors and… MacRumors, a site where you are banned for liking Apple and banned for reporting accounts which do nothing but lie about Apple.

 

That's hilarious.


My first comment said HIGH END SMARTPHONES..maybe you should read again, never singled out Apple, but all HIGH END SMARTPHONES ...Lol

 

Concerning you if you read the comment I provided you 2 links, but again you had selective way of replying to my comments.....so here is initial reference to you

 http://stuff-appletards-say.blogspot.in/p/blog-page.html   and http://stuff-appletards-say.blogspot.in/   lol bye bye

 

Btw How is your account on Macrumors, are you still banned or they have allowed you to come back and you left http://9to5forums.com/ because people ganged up on you or is it because you were abusive to people who made comments, you did not agree to...:-)


Edited by souliisoul - 5/25/13 at 9:08pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

 

 

 I know why I do not come to this forum regularly anymore, with these types of comments and cheap shots. Maybe Indians are smart enough not to accept the inflated prices of all high end smartphones from various companies that is easily accepted in the 'other' countries.

 

and

 

 Margin on High end smartphones are suitable to 'other countries', but Indians will not pay for such high priced phones, since their cost of living is 60% lower than USA and you are selling these products at the same cost. I am talking about unlocked phones, not phones supported by mobile companies, since this makes the cost affordable, which does not work as a business model in India for other reasons.(previous comment by me).

 

 

 

 

So you can not read here is my initial comments again and later comment, please show were it stated Apple.  you are hilarious and  boring now.  Actually you are the one that mentioned Samsung and Apple by name, I tried to provide comments on overall costs of HIGH END SMARTPHONES in India, stating the costs are too high for  their standard of living, so there is massive market, for low priced smartphone and will get more traction. 1rolleyes.gif


Edited by souliisoul - 5/25/13 at 10:53pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts new iPhone discounts, subsidies to gain ground in India