or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Yahoo announces 1TB Flickr accounts, new UI with high-resolution photos

Yahoo announces 1TB Flickr accounts, new UI with high-resolution photos

post #1 of 43
As part of a special media event on Monday, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer unveiled major changes to photo management and sharing service Flickr, with full resolution image support, 1 terabyte of storage for each user, and a revamped user interface.

The announcement, nearly overshadowed by news of Yahoo's $1.1 billion Tumblr acquisition, came during a media event in New York that also highlighted the company's move into a historic Times Square building the New York Times called home for some 90 years.

In a subsequent post on Yahoo's official blog, Mayer detailed the revamped Flickr, one the most significant updates the service has undergone since being purchased by the Internet giant in 2005 for $35 million.

Perhaps most prominent of the changes is Flickr's new Web photostream interface, which replaces the copious amounts of whitespace and blue links with "full resolution' images in a tiled layout. On the desktop version, the gallery is endlessly scrollable, while a new slideshow feature allows for full-screen photo viewing.

Flickr
Old Flickr photostream (top) compared to revamped version.

Mayer also announced a fairly large boost to storage limits, which is now set at 1TB. According to Flickr, the new data cap is enough to hold 537,731 6.5-megapixel photos, or what the average smartphone produces. For the iPhone 5, which takes 8MP shots, the terabyte is good for 436,906 images.

In addition to the refreshed interface and generous storage cap, an Android app was released on Monday, with the title being akin to the iOS version launched in December.

"We hope you?ll agree that we have made huge strides to make Flickr awesome again," Mayer said in the post, "and we want to know what you think and how to further improve!"
post #2 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] with full resolution image support, 1 terabyte of storage for all users, and a revamped user interface.

1 terabyte of storage for all users ... so that's what ... about 80GB for each user?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

post #3 of 43
This Yahoo Insider is a great website.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 43

Quite the day for Yahoo - first of acquisition of Tumblr and now a rather beautiful refresh of Flickr. 

In acquiring Tumblr, Yahoo has snagged one of the most impressive tech minds in social media.

post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

1 terabyte of storage for all users ... so that's what ... about 80GB for each user?

That could be interpreted one of two ways. Yes, they could have been less confusing. And yes, you could have let it go. But good for you in trying to appear clever. Pat, pat on your back. Or should I say, scratch, scratch. There, there, little pooch.

post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

That could be interpreted one of two ways. Yes, they could have been less confusing. And yes, you could have let it go. But good for you in trying to appear clever. Pat, pat on your back. Or should I say, scratch, scratch. There, there, little pooch.

Condescending much?

post #7 of 43
Yahoo has long been my junk mail acct., but it's nice to see Yahoo taking off the sackcloth and ashes of late. It promises to provide Apple with a good non-Google alternative for integration in iOS.
Prynne
il re pastore
Prynne
il re pastore
post #8 of 43

Whine, whine, whine, iCloud, whine whine, whine, Dropbox, whine, whine, whine, Skydrive, whine, whine, whine...

...ooh Flickr, more backups the merrier is what always I say.

Prepare to upload photo's from Dropbox folder, this could take some time.

Flickr is integrated into iPhoto too.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #9 of 43
Quote:

i usually stop reading ai "articles" and "reviews" i might click on upon encountering the first error in the piece, whatever it might be. so far today they've altered two pieces on such comments. yeah, i know, it's just a crummy blog, but they present themselves as professional and as an authority, and they fail miserably much of the time.

but i suppose i really don't mind ... it's a win-win ... they get free editorial help from people like me who are pointing out such errors, they get page views and ad impressions even when i don't read the piece, and i get a pat on the back from people like you. so, thanks!

post #10 of 43

This is good news for Apple.  Yahoo was in an epic death spiral before the new CEO.  They're getting really focused now and making major improvements to services that will compete against Google and Microsoft.  I'm pretty damn impressed with these improvements to Flickr.

Now if they could just get their act together with Yahoo Mail.

post #11 of 43
One might ask what the point of dressing up Flickr is when they still don't have an iPad app for it and the iPhone app is so dated and has such minimal functionality as to be a joke.

People don't sit down at their desktops and connect their SLR's with USB cables anymore so they can "upload pictures to the Internet thingie." They want to send a picture from the camera to their account. Automatically if possible.

I have a flickr account but it's a total pain to use since it doesn't integrate with iOS at all. I also can't "share" any pictures from OS X to Flickr either.

Without device integration how pretty the website is doesn't matter at all.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have a flickr account but it's a total pain to use since it doesn't integrate with iOS at all. I also can't "share" any pictures from OS X to Flickr either.

Yes you can. If you have Mountain Lion (and Flickr set up in System Prefs), you can right-click any image and share it via Flickr.

post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This Yahoo Insider is a great website.

Ah Sh*t, That made me giggle...

post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Flickr is integrated into iPhoto too.

I just hope Apple updates iPhoto to allow for full resolution image upload to Flickr without the need for PRO membership.

post #15 of 43
Quote:

One might ask what the point of dressing up Flickr is when they still don't have an iPad app for it and the iPhone app is so dated and has such minimal functionality as to be a joke.

People don't sit down at their desktops and connect their SLR's with USB cables anymore so they can "upload pictures to the Internet thingie." They want to send a picture from the camera to their account. Automatically if possible.

The iPhone app is dated? Last update was in March. That's dated?

Minimal functionality? What are you looking for?

True integration with iOS is up to Apple. This was shown in the developer's version of iOS 5 but didn't make it in the official release.

The inability of transferring photos directly from camera to the cloud is Flickr's fault?

It doesn't sound like you're a knowledgeable or frequent user.

post #16 of 43
Yahoo! should launch a new service called Misspellr..

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 43
Sharing to flickr is build right into iPhoto. Maybe you should try taking pictures instead of making statements.
post #18 of 43
Let's bash every tech company besides Apple! You ready? GO!!!
post #19 of 43
Gawd. This so overloads my senses. It might be fine if you have a ultrafast internet connection, but when you don't it is a huge waste of bandwidth.
post #20 of 43

I have been contemplating on getting a Flickr account for a while now. 1 TB of storage space seems good since I can save all my photos online. The fact that iOS and OSX have support for Flickr is an added bonus. I think it is time to take the leap.

Coming to Yahoo, with Flickr and now Tumblr, could it be that Yahoo will be the company that suffixes all its services with an 'r'?

post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalutulak View Post

heh - new round here ain't ya.

lol @ suddenly newton
post #22 of 43
Quote:

Quite the day for Yahoo - first of acquisition of Tumblr and now a rather beautiful refresh of Flickr. 

In acquiring Tumblr, Yahoo has snagged one of the most impressive tech minds in social media.

For one thing the Tumblr acquisition suddenly makes sense - Flickr can be Tumblr's Instagram, the way Instragram is to facebook.  So it's synergistic for both brands.  Giving them also, a more viable competitor to all the new photo features just added to Google+. 

Mayer seems like a pretty clever cookie so far, and I don't expect Tumblr to get Yahoo-ized.  The four year deal with the founder should help ensure that.  However it makes eminent sense to provide cross-connections between a mature photo site that stores a TB of full res shots and a slick-looking "upscale" social network.

And as for remark about "Yahoo Insider," worth bringing the story up as Yahoo's not a bad ally for Apple at this point.  And MS and Yahoo work well together, while MS makes good money from Office. 

Google is the biggest common current competitor they face, making at least a tacit alliance in various areas for the time-being helpful to all.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Coming to Yahoo, with Flickr and now Tumblr, could it be that Yahoo will be the company that suffixes all its services with an 'r'?

And if Apple buys them all apps get prefixed with ir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMando View Post

Sharing to flickr is build right into iPhoto. Maybe you should try taking pictures instead of making statements.

🍺

Oh, and Aperture as well.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #24 of 43

Like the direction of Yahoo right now, and they seem much better at playing with others than Google.  Flickr looks well on the road to a great recovery, and can see some good synergies with Tumblr emerging.  Do wonder how they're going to monetise this great stuff though.

Apple could do a lot worse than reach out for partnership to deliver some optimised web services, Yahoo has talent and seems able to put it to work in ways that Apple seems to struggle with.

censored

censored

post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

And if Apple buys them all apps get prefixed with ir.
🍺

Aperture needs a quick update so it can upload full sized. The option for higher resolution is grey out for me on the Flickr upload dialog in Aperture. Is it same for you?
Edited by digitalclips - 5/21/13 at 5:18am
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Like the direction of Yahoo right now, and they seem much better at playing with others than Google.  Flickr looks well on the road to a great recovery, and can see some good synergies with Tumblr emerging.  Do wonder how they're going to monetise this great stuff though.

Apple could do a lot worse than reach out for partnership to deliver some optimised web services, Yahoo has talent and seems able to put it to work in ways that Apple seems to struggle with.

I agree 100%. I hope Yahoo beef up their search too, I'd love to quit Google. I am going to start using Flickr now for sure just to give them my support , however insignificant that may be 1smile.gif.
Maybe Yahoo can start a Youtube equivalent also next.
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Aperture needs a quick update so it can upload full sized. I could be wrong but even setting the mail export to full size it seems to still be downscaling for flickr which makes sense.

I'm not behind Aperrture now, but believe you can set the preview size to 'dont limit' in the prefs, which should result in original JPGs when exporting/emailing.

OT: I hope Apple will allow video's to be added to the Photostream in iOS 7. After they killed EOL'D MM Gallery I had to get something else since Photostream wasn't live yet. So I went with Phanfare, which is... nice, but doesn't quite cut it on the video options.

Yeah, "Photostream. Now for video, too."
post #28 of 43
Quote:

I'm not behind Aperrture now, but believe you can set the preview size to 'dont limit' in the prefs, which should result in original JPGs when exporting/emailing.

OT: I hope Apple will allow video's to be added to the Photostream in iOS 7. After they killed EOL'D MM Gallery I had to get something else since Photostream wasn't live yet. So I went with Phanfare, which is... nice, but doesn't quite cut it on the video options.

Yeah, "Photostream. Now for video, too."

I tried that, the option is greyed out for Flickr upload in the export dialog for me even with full size in export for mail.

I agree video output is way behind the curve in both iOS and OS X at the moment. Youtube is still the best option sadly, Apple need their own equivalent or at least partner with Yahoo on this.
post #29 of 43
Quote:

People don't sit down at their desktops and connect their SLR's with USB cables anymore so they can "upload pictures to the Internet thingie." .

Except every person with an SLR that I know...

I shoot RAW, I don't upload anything without PP first. Everyone else with an SLR that I know is older than dirt.

post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree 100%. I hope Yahoo beef up their search too, I'd love to quit Google. I am going to start using Flickr now for sure just to give them my support , however insignificant that may be 1smile.gif.
Maybe Yahoo can start a Youtube equivalent also next.

Yahoo should just do what M$ did for Bing, steal Google's search results...

post #31 of 43
Quote:

I agree a USB cable would be a joke and I can only speak for myself here but I always stick the card from my Canons directly in my Mac. with 32 or 64 GIGs cards and of hundreds of RAW images to off load to Aperture every week I have no other option. Then from there I decide what to upload to where if anything. The nice thing about using an Application such as Aperture is the way the uploaded sets can be modified and updated without even going to Flickr or FaceBook directly. For those few pictures I take on iOS devices I simply let Photostream load them into Aperture for me and treat them the same way.

One thing I'd like to see soon is an Apple solution to viewing their iOS panoramas in a 3x 2 frame with panning. I can easily create a web page to allow a manual or auto pan showing a 3 x 2 segment but it would be nice to have this as part of the iCloud sharing set up. This would then work on an Apple TV automatically for example when viewing the panos. The current system of showing a small thin ribbon across the screen seems a tad useless.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

Yahoo should just do what M$ did for Bing, steal Google's search results...

Seems fair ... search the search ... 1biggrin.gif
post #33 of 43
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post
Condescending much?

Yeah… that was his point… 😒

Uh, what?

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Maybe they're just trying to appeal to the way British people pronounce words that end with the letter 'A'.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #34 of 43
Quote:

Hmm, This is precisely what I do... use a USB cable and upload photos from my SLR to the desktop. I would NEVER upload the photos from my crappy iPhone 5 camera (yes it and ALL SmartPhone cameras are still crap) and NEVER upload photos without editing them in the full desktop version of iPhoto or Apiture first. And no, I am not pro photographer or even a serious photo hobbiest.
post #35 of 43

Is Flickr still stripping EXIF/IPTC data from resized images?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #36 of 43

And no, I am not pro photographer or even a serious photo hobbiest <

So why so opinionated on what others should do? (I once did make good money selling nature photographs for post-cards, etc.).  

The iPhone is the first, second and third most popular 'camera' on Flickr for a reason (apart from being the camera you have in your pocket). Take a look in Flickr: the iPhone takes really good images. Photography is about getting the image, not a camera-tech pissing contest. 

post #37 of 43
Quote:

Tech companies or ad companies?
post #38 of 43

I don't understand the new price structure for Flickr at all.  It's now more expensive for those who are willing to pay for the site, but there's also less reason to pay.  I've been a pro user there for years, but I'll probably switch to a free account since everything I was paying for is now free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yahoo! should launch a new service called Misspellr..

Yahoo didn't create either Flickr or Tumblr, so they didn't create either of the trendy misspellings.

post #39 of 43

Was Flickr the first of the invisible-e sites?  Genuine question, I've no idea.

censored

censored

post #40 of 43
Doesn't iPhoto have share to Flickr?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Yahoo announces 1TB Flickr accounts, new UI with high-resolution photos