or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft unveils 'Xbox One,' a voice-controlled all-in-one entertainment hub
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft unveils 'Xbox One,' a voice-controlled all-in-one entertainment hub

post #1 of 149
Thread Starter 
Microsoft on Tuesday unveiled its next-generation home game console dubbed the "Xbox One," a device that aims to go beyond gaming and become the center of a consumer's living room entertainment experience.

Xbox One


Scheduled to arrive later this year, the Xbox One will ship with Microsoft's next-generation Kinect motion controller, which includes integrated voice recognition. The new Xbox One is pitched as a single device that will unify all of the devices in their living room, allowing them to be controlled through voice and hand gestures.

In a live demo, the Xbox One was shown quickly switching between live TV, movies, and an Internet Explorer Web browser. Like with Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system, users can even "snap" one program to the side of the screen and run two tasks at once.

With Kinect, users will also be able to use their voice or even their hands to quickly expand and move content around the screen. And Microsoft will also include support for the company's Skype video chat.

Xbox One


The new Xbox One console will include 5 billion transistors and 8 gigabytes of RAM. It also sports USB 3.0, Wi-Fi, a Blu-ray disc drive, and even HDMI input.

The new Kinect sensor will come included with every Xbox One console. It sports a high-resolution 1080p camera, and is said to support more casual voice commands than its predecessor. The company even claims that Kinect will be able to measure a user's heart beat.

An updated Xbox One controller has improved ergonomics and an integrated battery compartment. The controller also features an improved D-pad, addressing a common complaint among Xbox 360 owners.

Xbox One


Another portion of Xbox One is the SmartGlass platform, which offers integration between the console and Apple's iPad and iPhone. First unveiled last year, it allows users to connect their own devices to the Xbox for control and additional content.

Microsoft is also revamping its subscription Xbox Live service with greater cloud support powered by more than 300,000 servers.

EA Sports took part in Tuesday's presentation to show off its new "Ignite" game engine, while Microsoft Studios announced a new Forza racing title for the next-generation console. A new title from Remedy called "Quantum Break," with a clip in which a tanker ship runs into and destroys a bridge.

Microsoft Studios plans to release more than 15 exclusive games in the first year of Xbox One, eight of them being brand new franchises. The company currently has more games in development than at any point in the Xbox's history.

With Xbox One, Microsoft will also get into the content production business, as the company announced it is working on a live-action television series based on its best-selling "Halo" series and produced by legendary director Steven Spielberg. And with an exclusive content deal with the National Football League, Microsoft will also offer social interaction while watching games from the most popular sports league in America.

Tuesday's event focused on entertainment and streaming television functions, positioning the device as an even more direct competitor to the Apple TV set-top box rather than a gaming-centric device. Apple has also been rumored to be considering building a set-top box that would act as a cable box much like the Xbox One, or even a full-fledged television set that could integrate all of those services into one device.

Microsoft plans to showcase games for Xbox One at the industry's premier trade show, the Electronic Entertainment Expo. That event will overlap with Apple's own Worldwide Developers Conference, where the iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 are expected to be unveiled.
post #2 of 149

Ugly

post #3 of 149
Must be a Microsoft announcement if one the touted specs mentions "5 billion transistors."
post #4 of 149
From XBox 360 to XBox 1.. sounds like a step backwards in the marketing department.

I am amused however that Microsoft will be paying Sony royalites by using Blu-Ray.
post #5 of 149

I cannot wait. Look's amazing!

post #6 of 149

looks like microsoft just cracked the TV secret code

 

looks amazing

post #7 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Must be a Microsoft announcement if one the touted specs mentions "5 billion transistors."

Exactly. Made me think back to the whole OS2 issue Microsoft had with IBM wanting to pay for KLOCs (thousand lines of code) and Microsoft saying fewer lines is better. Here they are now touting a number that meaningless as the extra transistors may just mean bad design. It certainly doesn't make me think about power efficiency.
post #8 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Must be a Microsoft announcement if one the touted specs mentions "5 billion transistors."

Thought the same thing lol
post #9 of 149
This could be one of MS stronger plays, though that's not saying much. It's still yet another box hanging off my AV receiver, for which I'll still need my over-complicated Harmony remote control. I really hope Apple figures out how to do it all right, but it seems a daunting task.
post #10 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Ugly

Huh?!  

post #11 of 149
this all begs the question: who wants to do all that fancy shit on their big screen TV?

the future is about simple and easy.
post #12 of 149
It sounds impressive%u2026 but then, so did Metro%u2026 *cough*

Actually, Xbox is one of the few areas Microsoft seems to be getting right. I wonder, if/when Apple more aggressively enters the "living room" space, what they'll offer as an alternative?
post #13 of 149
Looks good :-)
post #14 of 149
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
I cannot wait. Look's amazing!

 

Seven years and this is what you post? 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #15 of 149

The secret to TV is finding what you (the user) wants to watch.

 

If I want to watch hockey or basketball playoffs, I shouldn't have to hunt around to find what "station" it's on. I shouldn't have to know that on Time Warner, TNT is 1302 and on Uverse it's 1412. I should just be able to tell it to turn on "Red Wings hockey"

 

This is the biggest obstacle that the user must overcome - finding what's on (or what I want to watch) quickly and easily. If XBox 1 doesn't do that, it's just another gimmick.

 

Hopefully Apple knows this.

post #16 of 149

has anyone on the web noticed that, with its typical marketing flim flam, MS has named it XBox One when it's really XBox 3?

post #17 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post


Exactly. Made me think back to the whole OS2 issue Microsoft had with IBM wanting to pay for KLOCs (thousand lines of code) and Microsoft saying fewer lines is better. Here they are now touting a number that meaningless as the extra transistors may just mean bad design. It certainly doesn't make me think about power efficiency.

How exactly is being able to put more transistors into a smaller or similar size die "bad design"?  Your statement about how it doesn't make you think about power efficiency is equally baffling.  The shrinking of the transistors means that you can lower the voltage and decrease power consumption while still gaining in performance.  So it's far more efficient in performance/watt especially since it's pretty much guaranteed that the CPU die will be either equal in size or smaller than the 360 as well.

post #18 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

The secret to TV is finding what you (the user) wants to watch.

 

If I want to watch hockey or basketball playoffs, I shouldn't have to hunt around to find what "station" it's on. I shouldn't have to know that on Time Warner, TNT is 1302 and on Uverse it's 1412. I should just be able to tell it to turn on "Red Wings hockey"

 

This is the biggest obstacle that the user must overcome - finding what's on (or what I want to watch) quickly and easily. If XBox 1 doesn't do that, it's just another gimmick.

 

Hopefully Apple knows this.

exactly. simple and easy.

post #19 of 149
Oh whoop. Another shiny black box! 0 for design guys.

Just another excuse to raise the cost of games methinks.
post #20 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

From XBox 360 to XBox 1.. sounds like a step backwards in the marketing department.

I am amused however that Microsoft will be paying Sony royalites by using Blu-Ray.

 

Sony might be the most prominent proponent of the Blu-ray format, but a whole slate of companies had a hand in its development.  The royalties for the optical format alone go to several different companies, and I don't think that Sony even receives the largest share.

 

http://www.one-blue.com/licensors/

 

Quote:
  • Cyberlink Corporation
  • Dell Global B.V.
  • Fujitsu Limited
  • Hewlett-Packard Company
  • Hitachi Consumer Electronics Co. Ltd.
  • JVC KENWOOD Corporation
  • Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
  • LG Electronics Inc.
  • Panasonic Corporation
  • Pioneer Corporation
  • Samsung Electronics Company Ltd.
  • Sharp Corporation
  • Sony Corporation
  • Taiyo Yuden Company Ltd.
  • Yamaha Corporation

 

And that list doesn't include the patent pools for the MPEG4/H.264 video encoding and AACS data encryption technologies.  Here too, MS will wind up paying royalties to Apple, which holds several of the H.264 patents.

post #21 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1at35 View Post

Oh whoop. Another shiny black box! 0 for design guys.

Just another excuse to raise the cost of games methinks.
But the design is ugly. 1oyvey.gif
post #22 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1at35 View Post

Oh whoop. Another shiny black box! 0 for design guys.

Just another excuse to raise the cost of games methinks.

yup. it won't play the XBox 360 games at all. so get ready to shell out big for a whole new generation of major franchise hits - starting with Halo naturally (the sole reason for the XBox's success). of course, you can keep your old XBox 360 hooked up too, if you have room under the TV someplace and enough TV inputs.

post #23 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Ugly

So what? Who spends all day looking at their game console? It's probably tucked out of the way some where.

In some ways, this is what Apple TV should have been. Apple was positioned to do the "one box to control them all" game a long time ago, but fell short. With only minor modifications, Apple TV could have been the center of your entertainment system and done all the things that XBox 1 does (gaming, music, movies, TV, Internet, etc).

It's not a bad product in concept. It will be interesting to see how well they've actually met their goals.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #24 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

From XBox 360 to XBox 1.. sounds like a step backwards in the marketing department.

I am amused however that Microsoft will be paying Sony royalites by using Blu-Ray.

Xbox 720 would sound like a step backwards since it's the poor-man's HD. I quite like the chosen name, the look of the device, and it's stated functionality. What it will be able to offer may be a different issue altogether.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #25 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

 

And that list doesn't include the patent pools for the MPEG4/H.264 video encoding and AACS data encryption technologies. Here too, MS will wind up paying royalties to Apple, which holds several of the H.264 patents.

As does Apple to Microsoft since each of them are both licensors and licensees of the patent pool.  What a silly statement.  Also HD DVD, of which Microsoft made a drive for the 360, supported H.264 and used AACS so neither of those are something new. The 360 also natively supports playing H.264 video. Lastly, Microsoft has also shipped an H.264 decoder in Windows since Vista.  So to try to act like them licensing the H.264 as being something new is silly and even more so when you try to use it as some sort of pro-Apple victory.


Edited by Applelunatic - 5/21/13 at 11:46am
post #26 of 149

Just watched the entire presentation. I'm sorry, but is there a massive amount of people desperate to play games and watch live TV simultaneously with a split screen, or watch TV and skype? It just seems a very small percentage of people would be even mildly interested in this. The voice control looks cool. Games wise, all we saw are graphical updates to existing franchises. The console also looks like an ugly HTPC that one can build from newegg, also looks massive. It also doesn't seem to me like the market for people who will buy an xbox are the ones that will be watching live tv. 

post #27 of 149
For all those that hate the black box design what do you think looks and works better for the HEC? I think the Nexus Q, Asus Qube, and Boxee Box, and Playstation 3 are horrible designs for an HEC.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #28 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Xbox 720 would sound like a step backwards since it's the poor-man's HD. I quite like the chosen name, the look of the device, and it's stated functionality. What it will be able to offer may be a different issue altogether.

If it can handle it, maybe XBox 4k. But that might lead to people thinking it's not for them if they don't have 4kTV.

Or maybe XBox Unity.
post #29 of 149

Hopefully Microsoft has learned and will build better hardware. Xbox's to date have been POS's. Previous versions were loud and croaked because they ran so hot. 

post #30 of 149

Looks like NT to me.  As in "Nice Try."

Typical Microsoft mash-up-features-into-a-product approach.

 

Microsoft: "The early bird gets the worm."

 

Apple: "The second mouse gets the cheese."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #31 of 149

A large part of the package is the integrated TV functionality, which in turn relies on an integrated program guide.  I wonder how or if  they plan to offer that outside the US.  Is that what the 300 K servers worldwide are for?  Outside the US, a lot of TV comes via satellite, how is this device going to integrate and work that - if at all - given I suspect it's TV integration is reliant on cable fed TV as seems common in the US.

 

I don't suppose your TV content will actually be coming via Xbox live from those servers in a sort of on-demand basis?
 

post #32 of 149
Originally Posted by rgmenke View Post

Hopefully Microsoft has learned and will build better hardware. Xbox's to date have been POS's. Previous versions were loud and croaked because they ran so hot. 

 

Ah yes.  The infamous Red Ring of Death.  The main reason why Xbox lost $$$ billions for years.

The division is finally above a break-even run rate, but they're still deep in the hole.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #33 of 149

Looking forward to it. I've had my Xbox 360 so long that all of my controllers are onto their second or third rechargeable battery pack. Gaming is one of the few areas where Microsoft is doing well.

post #34 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

has anyone on the web noticed that, with its typical marketing flim flam, MS has named it XBox One when it's really XBox 3?

There's a reason why they named it ONE just like they named Xbox 2 the Xbox 360.

Think of it this way. If an Xbox 2 and PS3 were sitting on displays in a store next to each other ....to the unknowing consumer the Xbox 2 would seem inferior by name
Alone.

I realized there would be a naming problem before the announced the 360.

This is why the named it Xbox 360 vs PS3. Sure they have there little Moto and their metaphorical explanations but the real drive is to avoid a disadvantage name wise.

Now we have the PS4, and obviously you can't name the new Xbox ...Xbox 3 ...so naturally they intelligently named it Xbox ONE....

Errrrrr......wait what?

Huh?

Well at least it's not a numerical branding of 1.

Maybe they should name it Xbox alONE?

After all 90% of the time that's what we are when playing games.
post #35 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

The secret to TV is finding what you (the user) wants to watch.

 

If I want to watch hockey or basketball playoffs, I shouldn't have to hunt around to find what "station" it's on. I shouldn't have to know that on Time Warner, TNT is 1302 and on Uverse it's 1412. I should just be able to tell it to turn on "Red Wings hockey"

 

This is the biggest obstacle that the user must overcome - finding what's on (or what I want to watch) quickly and easily. If XBox 1 doesn't do that, it's just another gimmick.

 

Hopefully Apple knows this.

 

Notably missing from the article is any mention of content partnerships, and this is where the cable/satellite companies keep things under lock and key.  Without content, the Xbox One will merely add to the balkanized clutter that typifies most living rooms. 

 

Sports in particular is where cable/satellite providers have setup their beachhead.  The pro leagues and college conferences have gotten in bed with the content providers, who demand exclusivity in return for the huge checks they write; and the outcome of these ten-figure carriage deals is that any streaming platforms need to go through the cable/satellite providers.  This is why all of the streaming sports services still blackout local teams. 

 

If the Xbox One limits the content to streaming video, then its role as a home entertainment hub won't go much further than the other set top boxes.  Content is king, and unless MS announces a major breakthrough or partnership of some kind, the Xbox One will remain a gaming console that replicates some functionality found in other set top boxes. 

 

In much the same way that Apple had to make their veritable deal with the devil (AT&T) in order for the iPhone to gain a market foothold, I think any breakthrough Apple TV product will also need to carry along some sort of deal with the cable/satellite providers.  If Apple gains access to the full slate of content from those providers, combines this with their existing content ecosystem, and wraps it into a sleek UHDTV with an intuitive interface (which isn't a high hurdle compared to the crap interfaces used by most set top boxes and TVs), then that could well be a game-changing product. 

post #36 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

 

Notably missing from the article is any mention of content partnerships, and this is where the cable/satellite companies keep things under lock and key.  Without content, the Xbox One will merely add to the balkanized clutter that typifies most living rooms. 

 

Sports in particular is where cable/satellite providers have setup their beachhead.  The pro leagues and college conferences have gotten in bed with the content providers, who demand exclusivity in return for the huge checks they write; and the outcome of these ten-figure carriage deals is that any streaming platforms need to go through the cable/satellite providers.  This is why all of the streaming sports services still blackout local teams. 

 

If the Xbox One limits the content to streaming video, then its role as a home entertainment hub won't go much further than the other set top boxes.  Content is king, and unless MS announces a major breakthrough or partnership of some kind, the Xbox One will remain a gaming console that replicates some functionality found in other set top boxes. 

 

In much the same way that Apple had to make their veritable deal with the devil (AT&T) in order for the iPhone to gain a market foothold, I think any breakthrough Apple TV product will also need to carry along some sort of deal with the cable/satellite providers.  If Apple gains access to the full slate of content from those providers, combines this with their existing content ecosystem, and wraps it into a sleek UHDTV with an intuitive interface (which isn't a high hurdle compared to the crap interfaces used by most set top boxes and TVs), then that could well be a game-changing product. 

MS has had a deal with AT&T for years now where the xbox 360 can act as the cable box. live TV is streamed. I think the same for FIOS as well.

 

i've read stuff over the last year that cable companies don't want to buy a new generation of cable boxes and are going the route of the customer buying the device and streaming live TV

 

except for sports, news and other live events all TV is streamed so its not that big a deal

post #37 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Notably missing from the article is any mention of content partnerships, and this is where the cable/satellite companies keep things under lock and key.  Without content, the Xbox One will merely add to the balkanized clutter that typifies most living rooms.

I don't follow. If the device has an HDMI passthrough then it can be always connected and ready to overlay on your cable/sat feed or take over completely with a touch of a button. This is what I've been saying Apple should have done with the Apple TV from day one to specifically avoid being an ignored device that requires an input change on the monitor before it can be utilized.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #38 of 149

OMG, lol..  Sony's stock shot up 8% after the XBox One announcement.

post #39 of 149
Mom "Go and do your homework"
Kid "I have a 30 kill streak let me finish this map"
Mom "Xbox Off!"
post #40 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

As does Apple to Microsoft since each of them are both licensors and licensees of the patent pool.  What a silly statement.  Also HD DVD, of which Microsoft made a drive for the 360, supported H.264 and used AACS so neither of those are something new. The 360 also natively supports playing H.264 video. Lastly, Microsoft has also shipped an H.264 decoder in Windows since Vista.  So to try to act like them licensing the H.264 as being something new is silly and even more so when you try to use it as some sort of pro-Apple victory.

 

HD-DVD, nice.  lol.gif

 

How does pointing out that including Blu-ray with the Xbox One will generate royalty payments to a whole consortium of companies other than Sony equate to "some sort of pro-Apple victory"?  Help me out because I'm obviously not as good at trolling as you purport to be.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft unveils 'Xbox One,' a voice-controlled all-in-one entertainment hub