or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google's Chrome team developing app launcher for Mac

Google's Chrome team developing app launcher for Mac

post #1 of 59
Google is looking to bring a version of its Chrome OS app launcher to the Mac, possibly as an add-on to the Chrome browser, allowing users to access a slew of Web apps normally available only from within the

App Launcher
Google's Chrome app launcher for Mac in beta form. | Source: Fran?ois Beaufort

Chrome developer Fran?ois Beaufort revealed on his Google+ page (via iMore) that the Internet search giant is working to bring the app launcher to Mac.

Because the Chrome OS platform runs Web apps instead of traditional programs, the app launcher is a vital part of the experience. Instead of having to enter Chrome to execute app functions, the launcher breaks out the Web-based titles into a separate window.

Those interested in trying out the beta version of Chrome's app launcher for Mac can download the latest build of Chromium and run a switch command in terminal.

Available apps will show up as a pop-up above the Chromium icon in the OS X dock, while selecting a title will launch the app in a new browser window. Switching apps takes place in-browser, though the launcher does save a couple steps in navigating to a particular app.

It is unclear if or when Google intends to launch the functionality in Chrome for OS X, and Beaufort didn't offer any further information regarding the project beside its existence.

While the implementation is somewhat limited at this time, it shows Google is actively looking for ways to garner a larger presence on Apple's OS X platform.
post #2 of 59

Who would be stupid enough to use that?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 59

Really. What a joke.

post #4 of 59
i love chrome, this will be very useful instead of opening a new tab to get to web apps or chrome package apps.
post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would you be stupid for using it?
post #6 of 59

So, you have to have that ugly crap of a chrome launcher on your screen the whole time?  No thanks man. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #7 of 59

Google is trying to hijack iOS.  They are working hard to spread all over the places.

Hoping to see Apple dominate 2013 and 2014 in a big way with new innovations and software updates with huge data center entering the game in few years and dominating number of companies like netflix, amazon, google and others!

post #8 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

So, you have to have that ugly crap of a chrome launcher on your screen the whole time?  No thanks man. 

It pops up. Don't you see the Chromium icon on the bottom?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #9 of 59

Does anybody still care for "web apps" on the desktop or on any OS supporting native apps for that matter?

Thought that bubble burst quite some time ago...

post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

Does anybody still care for "web apps" on the desktop or on any OS supporting native apps for that matter?

It wasn't a 'web app' bubble that burst.
post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

web gl

http://www.thehobbit.com/middle-earth/

post #12 of 59

Why aren't chrome and/or chromium on the Mac app store? And Skype?VLC? all free apps... I don't get it.

I would also love a torrent software like transmission there, and dropbox.

I refuse to install apps that are not there anymore. it's so convenient... especially when they are 10.8 ready.

Outside of the MAS, only transmission and dropbox.

post #13 of 59

Sigh. Google is still trying to pass web apps as apps? Google, we all know that web apps are websites.

post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It wasn't a 'web app' bubble that burst.

Actually it was.  Apple has had web apps for years and even used them as the only apps on the first iPhone. The loud Apple haters called it weak.  Now those same people are praising Google for going back in time by 5 years and doing the same thing.  

post #15 of 59

Looks ugly as all fck. Like the rest of the Google/Android ecosystem. 

Google recognizes the value of the Apple pie, and they'd like a poorly-designed finger in every part of it. 

Keep trying, though, Google. Apple users *stay* Apple users. 

post #16 of 59
Don't worry, it's just another way for google to track you. They probably have a key logger in that thing.
post #17 of 59

That launcher is very... hummmm, what’s the word for it... flat! :¬)

post #18 of 59
Originally Posted by AppleWins View Post
Looks useful.

Going to install it once they release for mac.

I'M CONVINCED¡ 1oyvey.gif

post #19 of 59
Quote:

Looks useful.

Do you get a salary or a few cents per post?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Sigh. Google is still trying to pass web apps as apps? Google, we all know that web apps are websites.

Guess you haven't used any apps that make use of Google's NaCl API...  Try getting and running 'From Dust' in your Chrome browser.  

Chrome can run native binary code....

post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Nothing. He got fired after that first post.
post #22 of 59

Instead of this crap why don't they make chrome 64bit compatible and catch up to firefox and safari on the mac so I dont have to open firefox for java based apps.

post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Why aren't chrome and/or chromium on the Mac app store? And Skype?VLC? all free apps... I don't get it.
I would also love a torrent software like transmission there, and dropbox.

I refuse to install apps that are not there anymore. it's so convenient... especially when they are 10.8 ready.

Outside of the MAS, only transmission and dropbox.

VLC isn't on the MAS probably because Apple's restrictions aren't compatible with the VLC open source license. VLC asked Apple to remove VLC for iOS from the App Store.

Transmission's open source license probably has the same issues.

Skype is probably not on the MAS because MS doesn't want to give Apple a cut of fees for users who use Skype's pay services. There may be other tech resons here too.

I think chrome and chromium aren't in the App Store bc Google doesn't care, and maybe bc they have Flash players built in which can pose a security risk. After JAVA, Flash is probably the biggest security risk to computers, if you exclude uneducated users.

Also Google's goals/strategy for chrome and chromium is to engage users in all of Google's other services, enabling Google to track users and collect information in order to sell more effective (more expensive) advertisements. This does not align with Apple's motives.
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Why would you be stupid for using [Chrome app launcher]?

The story goes like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar-Baby

The moral of the story is to see the tar baby for what it is (a trap) and ignore it.

Edited by Cpsro - 5/21/13 at 10:18pm
post #25 of 59

Who embedded Win 3.11 in OS X?

post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

i love chrome, this will be very useful instead of opening a new tab to get to web apps or chrome package apps.

Dude, it's google! Ugh!
post #27 of 59
Quote:

Here comes the moderator, briging moderation to the discussion... Yep people certainly must be "stupid enough" for using that, now if you can tell us why?
post #28 of 59

Thanks Google, but you can keep your crap...

post #29 of 59
Quote:

Looks useful.

Why in the hell would they do that? There's zero incentive for Mac users to run software in a browser, no matter who created it. This doesn't make sense to me at all; please, enlighten me.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #30 of 59
Quote:

Google employees.  

post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why in the hell would they do that? There's zero incentive for Mac users to run software in a browser, no matter who created it. This doesn't make sense to me at all; please, enlighten me.

Google just wants to see if they can unseat Microsoft Office on OS X, Windows, etc. desktops.

post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:

Google employees.  

But what about Don't be evil? Oh, that's right, that wasn't the companies' statement:
Quote:
"Don't be evil" is the informal corporate motto (or slogan) of Google. It was first suggested either by Google employee Paul Buchheit at a meeting about corporate values in early 2000, or according to another account by Google engineer Amit Patel in 1999.

Wiki
post #33 of 59

Google's App suite, even though they are all web-based, can be intimidating when you see them start to put them all together and add dedicated launchers to OSes. Apple should update iWork if for nothing else than to keep these guys at bay.

post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

web gl

http://www.thehobbit.com/middle-earth/

How come it doesn't open in Safari or Firefox?

If this is an example of Google's "open" web standards it's pretty useless?

Does it need ActiveX or something?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Guess you haven't used any apps that make use of Google's NaCl API...  Try getting and running 'From Dust' in your Chrome browser.  

Chrome can run native binary code....

If Google thinks they can dictate which browser I have to use, they can go f*ck themselves, this "our way or the highway" reminds me of when Microsoft was killing Netscape.

I do not like green eggs and chrome, I do not want it in a dock, I do not want it on a clock, I do not want it to play my rock, no, no, no, no, no, chrome can come and suck my...

post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If Google thinks they can dictate which browser I have to use, they can go f*ck themselves, this "our way or the highway" reminds me of when Microsoft was killing Netscape.

I do not like green eggs and chrome, I do not want it in a dock, I do not want it on a clock, I do not want it to play my rock, no, no, no, no, no, chrome can come and suck my...

There's other browsers moving towards Chromium as the rendering engine. Opera is one that I know of. 

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's other browsers moving towards Chromium as the rendering engine. Opera is one that I know of. 

lol.gif

post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Why would you be stupid for using it?

Because, unless you are paid to love them, your feelings about Google and using Google products and services are an informal IQ test. Intelligent people avoid Google whenever possible. 

post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How come it doesn't open in Safari or Firefox?

If this is an example of Google's "open" web standards it's pretty useless?

Does it need ActiveX or something?

Err.. because it's not yet open? "LAUNCHING FALL 2013 - WATCH A PREVIEW"

Meanwhile, you can play Quake 3 here http://media.tojicode.com/q3bsp/

post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

LOL. I've wondered that about several folks lately.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google's Chrome team developing app launcher for Mac