or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google's Chrome team developing app launcher for Mac

Google's Chrome team developing app launcher for Mac - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Because, unless you are paid to love them, your feelings about Google and using Google products and services are an informal IQ test. Intelligent people avoid Google whenever possible. 

I agree yet I can't get out of the habit of using their search engine.
post #42 of 59
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
Here comes the moderator, briging moderation to the discussion... Yep people certainly must be "stupid enough" for using that, now if you can tell us why?

I'll just assume you're ignoring everything Google has been doing in the last five years rather than that you're too stupid to recognize it.

post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Google is trying to hijack iOS.  They are working hard to spread all over the places.

Hoping to see Apple dominate 2013 and 2014 in a big way with new innovations and software updates with huge data center entering the game in few years and dominating number of companies like netflix, amazon, google and others!

Yes, they are "hijacking" since they are innovating and getting something done.

I think the Apple innovation and buzz department was spun off to Google. Apple is now about silence and no buzz.

Many of my primary apps on my iPhone are Google apps. I use Chrome almost exclusively (sometimes use Firefox).

I use Apple's apps less and less.

This new tool is a great idea and I am looking forward to it.

post #44 of 59
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Innovating, eh? Innovating? What are they innovating, exactly? What about this launcher is in any way innovative?

Apple is now about silence and no buzz.

Apple being secretive. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED¡ 1tongue.gif

post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Innovating, eh? Innovating? What are they innovating, exactly?

Innovation might not be defined in the way you're looking at it TS. Perhaps you were thinking inventive instead. Dunno.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/09/08/is-google-innovative-tech-company-planet/

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #46 of 59
Quote:

I think the Apple innovation and buzz department was spun off to Google. Apple is now about silence and no buzz.

You're ruining my buzz, man.  I thought it was all about, like, quality and ease of use and the little details.  But now you're sayin' that it's only the buzz that matters?

post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

You're ruining my buzz, man.  I thought it was all about, like, quality and ease of use and the little details.  But now you're sayin' that it's only the buzz that matters?

It's true. You have to be drunk to love android. (It's a joke)
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's true. You have to be drunk to love android. (It's a joke)

I was more thinking that I need to be smoking some of what he is to get it.

post #49 of 59

A lot of the apps in the Chrome store are available as regular apps. If its not, there are similar regular apps that do the same things in the same catagories. 

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Google just wants to see if they can unseat Microsoft Office on OS X, Windows, etc. desktops.

I just have a hard time with that 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' thing. I hate them both ... 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll just assume you're ignoring everything Google has been doing in the last five years rather than that you're too stupid to recognize it.
What a nonsensical garbage, so yeah I must be "too stupid" to understand the unwarranted insults and hyperbolic drama you are making about Google releasing an apps launcher for the Mac...
post #52 of 59
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
…I must be "too stupid" to understand…

Okay, then.

post #53 of 59
Quote:

Many of my primary apps on my iPhone are Google apps. I use Chrome almost exclusively (sometimes use Firefox).

I use Apple's apps less and less.

This new tool is a great idea and I am looking forward to it.

I'm surprised you brought "Buzz" up, I thought Google gave it a "Wave" goodbye.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by iang1234 View Post

Err.. because it's not yet open? "LAUNCHING FALL 2013 - WATCH A PREVIEW"

Meanwhile, you can play Quake 3 here http://media.tojicode.com/q3bsp/

"Play" seems a strange description, "wander round an empty map" seems more apt.
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

A lot of the apps in the Chrome store are available as regular apps. If its not, there are similar regular apps that do the same things in the same catagories. 

Like "Linkify",for example?
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Google is trying to hijack iOS.  They are working hard to spread all over the places.

Yes all the better for Google to see all you are doing.

It seems with FaceBook becoming more aggressive at Spyware, Google is awakened and more aggressive as well !

May they both get flooded out with mostly  fake info.  1wink.gif

post #57 of 59
if i want to use software from google i buy a chrome book or an android phone ...
post #58 of 59

Whats Chrome?  With all the money Google has, you think they would at least have titanium by now.

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Yes all the better for Google to see all you are doing.

It seems with FaceBook becoming more aggressive at Spyware, Google is awakened and more aggressive as well !

May they both get flooded out with mostly  fake info.  1wink.gif

I'm in no way defending Google or Facebook here but the internet isn't a very private affair. With governments and internet providers tracking our every movement keeping your surfing habits to a PG affair seems to be the prudent thing to do anyway. Yes it sucks, big reason why my browser history only consists of programming, gadget, news, cooking and music creation sites. I have my own domain with a dedicated IP connected to a private in house MacMini Server for emails and data. I do have a Gmail/Drive and Hotmail/SkyDrive accounts but they only contain content that I don't mind going public. For our uuuhhmm horny AppleInsiders, I would recommend investing a little time in how public proxies work, this of course doesn't guarantee anonymity but it should mask those who aren't being deliberately tracked.

Back on subject, Chrome 27 is a pretty neat browser, I now prefer it over Safari. I use some of the apps that are found in the Chrome Store and the quick launcher is very convenient. You're not limited to just apps either, you can create custom launchers for any website, just think of it as a glorified favorites.

Here is how you make your own custom app launcher;

Make a new folder and create a new text file called "manifest.json" inside it. Fill in the name, description, urls, and launch page:, I use VI in the terminal to do this but the text editor works just fine.

{
"name": "Name_of_web_app",
"description": "Description of web app",
"version": "1.0",
"icons": {
"128": "128.png"
},
"app": {
"urls": [
"http://yourwebsitehere.com"
],
"launch": {
"web_url": "http://yourwebsitehere.com"
}
},
"permissions": [
"unlimitedStorage",
"notifications"
]
}

Then, in the same folder, save a 128x128 png image as "128.png." This will be used as the webapp's icon. After this is done, go to chrome://extensions/. Open up the developer mode (top right) and "Load unpacked extension." Navigate to the folder you created and hit OK.

Edited by Relic - 5/25/13 at 3:41am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google's Chrome team developing app launcher for Mac