or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg joins Apple marketing

Former Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg joins Apple marketing

post #1 of 13
Michael Gartenberg, a longtime industry analyst who most recently covered technology for Gartner, has taken a job on Apple's marketing team working under executive Phil Schiller.

Gartenberg

Gartenberg's new position at Apple was first reported on Wednesday by Connie Guglielmo of Forbes. Aside from his position in marketing under Schiller, it's unknown exactly what role he will take at the Cupertino, Calif., company.

The analyst previously had a brief stint as an evangelist with Microsoft in 2007, but that role only lasted a month. He is one of the most well-known analysts in the tech industry.

In other roles, Gartenberg was an analyst and partner at Altimeter Group, vice president of strategy at Interpret LLC, and research director at Jupiter Research. He's also served on the board of directors for the Consumer Electronics Association, which runs the annual Consumer Electronics Show.

Other high-profile hires made by Apple this year include Kevin Lynch, former chief technology officer at Adobe, and Josh Rosenstock, ex director of external corporate communications at Rolls-Royce.
post #2 of 13

Title misspells his name.

post #3 of 13
In Feb. 2007, he joined Microsoft as an %u201Centhusiastic evangelist,%u201D

Says so much about Microsoft's often bizarre marketing, and, it has me wondering if I was wrong about Cook.
post #4 of 13

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/24/13 at 10:51am
post #5 of 13
Strange.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Should we expect all those who've been claiming Gartner is filled with idiots to now proclaim that Apple is doomed?
Oh I've no doubt just like with Kevin Lynch people will be complaining that this is a bad hire and Cook needs to be fired. 😄
post #7 of 13
Choosing my words with care: I hope this particular career move is an unqualified success for Mr. Gartenberg.
post #8 of 13

No it doesn't. Gartenberg joined Gartner Group after his company, Jupiter Research, was acquired by Gartner.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

Title misspells his name.

No it doesn't. Gartenberg joined Gartner Group after his company, Jupiter Research, was acquired by Gartner.

post #10 of 13

Reading this guy's bio makes me wonder if he ain't a job hopper...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #11 of 13
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
Reading this guy's bio makes me wonder if he ain't a job hopper...

If so, when he leaves Apple he'll be the first analyst to ever be able to say anything accurate about the company.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #12 of 13
Can't think why Apple needs an analyst on the payroll.
post #13 of 13
@satorical: thanks for that explanation. My contempt for Gartner is quite high... but who can blame people whose companies are bought to suddenly be working for one they never chose ^^

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg joins Apple marketing