or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New Microsoft Windows 8 ad turns Apple's Siri against her maker

New Microsoft Windows 8 ad turns Apple's Siri against her maker - Page 4

post #121 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I can't believe I am going to say this here. I must be insane....

I met a guy the other day that had a Surface Pro and loved it. He'd gotten rid of his iPad for it.  He preferred it because he was convinced served his purposes better than the iPad.  He used it to take pictures and then notate those pictures, which is surely something he could do as well or better on the iPad.  Still, he claimed the Surface offered more precision and worked better for the task than the iPad.  Is that true or was he simply unable to find the right app on the iPad?  I think he probably just didn't find the right app, but he is now convinced the Surface meets his needs better than the iPad.  

I have no doubt, that for a small percentage of people, most of which would be in professional settings with specific needs, the Surface may very well suit their needs better than an iPad. Especially with the pressure sensitive screen, as the guy needed to annotate as you state. For him the Surface may be a better suited tool. 

The point is that for MOST people, the iPad will suit their needs in a more intuitive way, and is a better overall device. From size, weight, battery life, stability, responsiveness, intuitiveness, ecosystem, etc etc. 

post #122 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Wow, that's deep, man. So basically everyone who purchases iPad and drop piano playing app on it is suddenly music connoisseur.

Funny thing is, many non-Apple users believe that number of Apple users are there because they believe having an Apple product suddenly makes one better in every possible way - smarter, with better taste, Aryan almost.

I believe that to be one ugly stereotype, but every now and then my belief is being challenged.

1rolleyes.gif

First, what does being Aryan have to do with this?

Second, if you actually read what I said, I didn't make any comments or generalizations about the users of iPads or Surfaces, I made a comment about Microsoft (the company) being culturally ignorant.  Remember Songsmith?  Enough said.

post #123 of 148
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post
Funny thing is, many non-Apple users believe that number of Apple users are there because they believe having an Apple product suddenly makes one better in every possible way - smarter, with better taste, Aryan almost.

Godwin's Law by proxy. Your point is moot.

post #124 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A bit of a stretch
post #125 of 148
Apple just needs a 10 second commercial showing a Windows 8 rt tablet with the printed words saying.....

"I can't talk

and

I don't do REAL Windows"
post #126 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

A bit of a stretch

I'd say the Aryan comment is only a goosestep away from evoking Godwin's Law.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #127 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It's pretty clear that's in reference to only being able to have one app full screen at a time, which is true enough (with some slight exceptions for Siri and the widgets in Notification Centre).

You may imagine that it means a lot of things, but it says that iPads can only do one thing at a time. That's totally, absolutely false.
Quote:

Some of Apple's Get A Mac ads ran pretty close to the line in terms of exaggerating the truth too.  The zany ones about biohazard suits and time travel especially.

Exaggerating is not the same as outright lies. Even the example someone else brought up (the Mac communicating with the Japanese girl (printer) is not false. The statement was that it was easier on a Mac and drivers were built in. Not a lie - like the one Microsoft told when they said that iPads can only do one thing at a time.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #128 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd say the Aryan comment is only a goosestep away from evoking Godwin's Law.

If it did evoke Godwin's law, this discussion should be over?
post #129 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You may imagine that it means a lot of things, but it says that iPads can only do one thing at a time. That's totally, absolutely false.
Exaggerating is not the same as outright lies. Even the example someone else brought up (the Mac communicating with the Japanese girl (printer) is not false. The statement was that it was easier on a Mac and drivers were built in. Not a lie - like the one Microsoft told when they said that iPads can only do one thing at a time.

You didn't even understand what the commercial was about, what makes u think you've any credibility left to argue anything?
post #130 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester View Post

lol. Easy there. He's not insulting your mother. Just sharing an opinion. It is possible to like competitor's ad.

Heh. He's new here.

post #131 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I still don't understand why people are so desperate to use MS Office on such a small screen. What is so wonderful about editing PP presentations or complex spreadsheets on such small screen real estate? Sure you can do it I guess, but would you really want to?
If your job involves leaving the office which a huge percentage of peoples does, even if its just for the odd hour meeting. Having a device that is really light and lets you edit spreadsheets or work of word docs e.g. A spec with a client is a big deal.

Laptops ae generally to heavy and there size tends to create a barrier in a meeting. Plus even if you have a super light laptop. To then carry a tablet to use for things its better at like reading news, books ruins the while weight factor as you have 2 devices.

Think if people that get the train to work and typically take there laptop home with them. Having a work laptop and there own iPad is a lot of weight. Win8 actually works really well in this situation as you can use the metro side for personal stuff and classic desktop for work.
post #132 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

The usual ignorant and misleading or blatantly false garbage, there to be debunked...

- Windows will only pause inactive apps, not "apps in the background" but apps doing nothing, neither background activities nor playing a song, etc.
- You can spit windows apps and use two at the same time side by side, the function is called "Windows Snap".
- Another ludicrous invention that I have never ever experienced while working with it daily... My only guess is that your HDD was off (following some power options settings) and that it took a good second to get back on and accessible. But I am digressing because we all know that you never ever tried Windows 8...

Meh.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #133 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

I'm sure he's tried it but you are right Windows 8 Metro has full multitasking even with the RT version. Windows 8 really is a nice tablet OS for those seeking to run full blown applications. I have an absolute blast using Ableton and Photoshop.
post #134 of 148
1)IPad can run PowerPoint (called keynote)
2)IOS multitasking is better than windows
3)They looked for the worst IPad comparison
4)IPad updates differently than the live tiles
5)IOS=IPad/IPhone;windows 8=Tablets,phones,desktops,laptops, etc...
post #135 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Actually no it's not, iOS doesn't run apps in the background so it's not full multitasking. If you're talking about the way you can flip threw opened apps well Windows 8 has the same gesture.

post #136 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Apple just needs a 10 second commercial showing a Windows 8 rt tablet with the printed words saying.....

"I can't talk

and

I don't do REAL Windows"

Actually Windows 8 does voice commands pretty well, dictation in Word is also a treat to use. Windows 8 RT is the same in every detail as Windows 8 x86, it's just been compiled to run on ARM.

post #137 of 148
Quote:

That's the rule here? Where were you when there was talk of Government Gestapo stealing Apple's profits?

censored

censored

post #138 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's wow, crazy! But it's better than my suggestion to Microsoft: put a Google search bar in the Ribbon so I can ask Google where to find the feature that's hidden in the Ribbon. It's how I use Office now.

That's crazy, too, to use a 3rd party tool to find a setting in software. But uhm, I search the internet for Office settings as well. "Duh", in Homer Simpsons' voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That pic is too funny!
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #139 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Actually no it's not, iOS doesn't run apps in the background so it's not full multitasking.

Actually, iOS DOES run apps in the background - just not all of them.

For example, you can search the web while playing music in the background. You can search the web while using the Phone app. And so on.

The fact that not all apps are allowed access to those APIs does not mean that the OS doesn't multitask.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #140 of 148
Quote:

For example, you can search the web while playing music in the background. You can search the web while using the Phone app. And so on.

The fact that not all apps are allowed access to those APIs does not mean that the OS doesn't multitask.

You'd think this wouldn't have to be explained to people at this point. Funny that it's always to those that aren't tech savvy enough to understand the terms they use or trolls.

post #141 of 148
That's the rule here? Where were you when there was talk of Government Gestapo stealing Apple's profits?

Was "gestapo" used?

post #142 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Sirii can multitask. I often have her set an alarm for me, which means she is opening the clock App while she's running. She opens the calendar app when she sets an appointment and the Notepad app to make me a quick memo. I suspect with iOS 7 she will be doing even more multitasking with other apps, maybe even third-party apps. Siri can also take dictation* which is even better than trying to type on the $100 pretend keyboard Microsoft will sell you.

*dictated on my 16 Gb Apple iPad with Siri.

Nice.  I turned Siri off as it was impossible for it to even compose a simple sentance from my voice.  Repeating the same command multiple times reduces its appeal.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #143 of 148
Quote:

Well actually it kind of does, yes iOS is capable of multitasking as it's based off of BSD. However, allowing only a handful of apps to those API's and I mean a handful is a far cry from having true multitasking.
post #144 of 148
Quote:

Was "gestapo" used?

Yes

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/157614/inside-apples-push-for-comprehensive-corporate-tax-reform#post_2330126

censored

censored

post #145 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

So true. When I want to Skype someone and look at a document, what I look for is the ability to not be able to look at the document and the conversation / video chat at the same time. Being able to have both on the screen at the same time is an awful experience, what I really want is to repeatedly swipe from one to the other. Which is why iOS multitasking is better </Sarcasm>

post #146 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Well actually it kind of does, yes iOS is capable of multitasking as it's based off of BSD. However, allowing only a handful of apps to those API's and I mean a handful is a far cry from having true multitasking.

You're not very tech savvy are you? You throw out jargon like no tomorrow but don't actually understand what they mean. iOS has allowed multitasking from the start. What it hasn't offered is 3rd-party-apps to run unfettered in the background.

post #147 of 148
Well done M$ - that ad actually made me chuckle.

Looking forward to see what iOS 7 has to offer...
post #148 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're not very tech savvy are you? You throw out jargon like no tomorrow but don't actually understand what they mean. iOS has allowed multitasking from the start. What it hasn't offered is 3rd-party-apps to run unfettered in the background.

Actually that's exactly what I said, what part of my jargon isn't correct. IOS's underlining system is Darwin, a BSD Unix which is of course a multitasking OS, you see it when you jailbreak a iOS device. The API's in the desktop enviromemt that allow for background tasks are highly restricted to just a few apps however, VOIP, location services(maps), music, etc. So yay, iOS can multitask but since it's not available to 99% of the apps available, it really can't can it. I've been a programmer for over 20 years, I know a thing or two. Sometimes my English get's in the way of expressing myself properly as it's not my first, second or even third language but I think my original post said exactly what yours did. You like so many on this forum attack anyone who doesn't fall in line with this shalt not talk ill or about limitations of any Apple product philosophy.

I don't mean to be rude in anyway but sometimes you can be very mean, sorry if you take offense to my post.

While we are on this subject, there are ways to make an app run longer in the background but not for more then 10 minutes. If anyone knows of way to get around this, any info would be priceless to me. I maintain a CRM app for our sales force that could use this. Here is how I get 10 min.

counterTask = [[UIApplication sharedApplication]
beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler:^{

}];
count=0;

theTimer=[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:0.1
target:self
selector:@selector(countUp)
userInfo:nil
repeats:YES];
}
Edited by Relic - 5/24/13 at 11:04am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New Microsoft Windows 8 ad turns Apple's Siri against her maker