or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dubai hotel provides guests with iMacs, 24-karat gold iPad

Dubai hotel provides guests with iMacs, 24-karat gold iPad

post #1 of 38
Apple's iPads are premium products with a premium price, but apparently not enough for one Dubai hotel, which provides its guests with 24-karat gold versions of Apple's popular tablet.

i love gold

The Burj Al Arab bills itself as "the world's most luxurious hotel," and according to the Los Angeles Times, is handing out the amenities to back up that claim. Guests checking into a room at the Burj ? starting at $1,525 per night ? receive a 24-karat gold iPad for use during their stay. Users of the device are currently limited to a preinstalled interactive customer experience, but the hotel is said to be working on expanding access to other applications.

Gold & Co. London designs and manufactures the iPads exclusively for Burj Al Arab. The devices come engraved with the hotel's logo, Apple's logo, and the Burj's parent company's motto, "Stay Different."

The hotel currently provides customers with a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi third-generation iPad. Guests looking to take the luxury home with them, though, can stop into the Burj's Bespoke Boutique, which has 64GB versions of the device on sale for $10,200.

The Bespoke Boutique also carries a gold iPad mini, gold iPhone 5, and a gold BlackBerry Q10.
post #2 of 38
Whether you're rich or poor, it's always good to have money!
post #3 of 38

Can't decide on "More money than brains" or "A fool and their money.."

post #4 of 38
That's not luxurious, it's just very very tacky.
post #5 of 38

I wonder whether Tim Cook or Steve Jobs got to ever use this lol

post #6 of 38
Who would want a gold blackberry?

Eph

Eph

post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

I wonder whether Tim Cook or Steve Jobs got to ever use this lol

I doubt Steve Jobs would touch that with a 10 foot pole. I think he'd be pretty revolted actually. 

The hilarious thing is that these aren't even 4th gen iPads. They're 3rd gen. If you're gonna plate something with $10K of gold, you should make sure its the newest model first. 

post #8 of 38
All that wealth. There must be crazy, unbelievable innovation coming out of that area.

Wait, no. It's just rotting dino.
post #9 of 38

A number of people, who can afford the hotel costs have a lot of brains and have used that to generate their wealth, so stating more money then brains is silly comment.

post #10 of 38
That thing looks so gangsta.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 38
GOLDMEMBER.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

Las Vegas is tacky. The Burj al Arab is luxurious. and fun. and cool. But only if you've got the cash.

Edited by Cpsro - 5/23/13 at 12:32pm
post #13 of 38

Thurston Howell III approves!

post #14 of 38
The taglines match pretty well though:

"Think Different" and "Stay Different".
post #15 of 38

It is just gold plated, not solid gold. If it was solid it would be way too heavy.

I wonder how many languages that woman speaks. She looks Chinese.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #16 of 38
iBling
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Can't decide on "More money than brains" or "A fool and their money.."

Whether being a fool, or not having brains is irrelevant.  Whatever they're doing to burn through that much money must be working for them so if they're that dumb, let's see you do better than their bank balance.

post #18 of 38
Did they have to pay a license fee to use that Apple trademark apple?
post #19 of 38
Well, now no one can say Apple doesn't set the gold standard for tablets.
post #20 of 38
And since users have their iPad already, what's the point?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #21 of 38

I'd rather buy a 5 oz gold bar for about seven grand, and keeping my current iPad, instead of paying 10 grand for that gold covered iPad. I don't think that it looks all that great.

post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Did they have to pay a license fee to use that Apple trademark apple?

Pay to use an Apple logo on an Apple product?

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I doubt Steve Jobs would touch that with a 10 foot pole. I think he'd be pretty revolted actually. 

The hilarious thing is that these aren't even 4th gen iPads. They're 3rd gen. If you're gonna plate something with $10K of gold, you should make sure its the newest model first. 
Probably to save just a little money, or takes that long to make...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

And since users have their iPad already, what's the point?
I think the point is if you want to replace your old one, you can with a few extra additions. /s

I don't want to really pay for a golden apple devices really $10000 could be used to buy a upgraded macpro
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Pay to use an Apple logo on an Apple product?

It's custom made and states it comes engraved with, among others, Apple's logo. Figured they may have had to work something out with Apple Inc.
Edited by ChristophB - 5/23/13 at 2:39pm
post #25 of 38

Wow, that's vulgar. 

I'd rather them pay the woman holding it a higher salary.

post #26 of 38
If you can afford to stay at the hotel, the $10,000 is pocket change.
post #27 of 38
post #28 of 38
Totally off topic, but posted because it's previous gen as well.
post #29 of 38
Damn the rich these days are tacky!
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

A number of people, who can afford the hotel costs have a lot of brains and have used that to generate their wealth, so stating more money then brains is silly comment.

Yes, a number of people. 2 is a number.
post #31 of 38

I thought this hotel was "luxurious", why are they offending potential guests by giving them such "cheap" stuff?

£5,000,000.00

£10,000,000.00

Edited by hill60 - 5/23/13 at 6:22pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
The hotel currently provides customers with a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi third-generation iPad. Guests looking to take the luxury home with them, though, can stop into the Burj's Bespoke Boutique, which has 64GB versions of the device on sale for $10,200.

I looked up the cost of 24K gold plating supplies.  Typical decorative gold plate is about .4 microns thick, and plating something to this thickness uses about 60 cents worth of an immersion gold plating solution per square inch.  So I suspect they're making a profit here!

post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I looked up the cost of 24K gold plating supplies.  Typical decorative gold plate is about .4 microns thick, and plating something to this thickness uses about 60 cents worth of an immersion gold plating solution per square inch.  So I suspect they're making a profit here!

The Stuart Hughes iPads contain enough solid gold for iPads to weigh between 2 - 2.5kg (4.4 - 5.5 lbs).

post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The Stuart Hughes iPads contain enough solid gold for iPads to weigh between 2 - 2.5kg (4.4 - 5.5 lbs).

3x as much exercise as a regular iPad!

post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This isn't the Stuart Hughes iPad, this is from Gold and Company. Here's the description of their iPad from their website:

The 24-carat Gold Plated iPad is the ultimate in luxury accessories so it’s only natural that we wanted it to be paired with Burj Al Arab, the world’s finest hotel. The symmetry is obvious: Both the Gold Plated iPad and the hotel are unique in terms of quality, mystique and dare we say: Decadence. Quite simply, there is no hotel in the world like the Burj Al Arab and there is no accessory quite like the gold plated iPad. The multi layer 24 carat gold plating breezes past all known quality control checks, just like the Burj Al Arab and soon, we envisage wealthy individuals all over the world clamouring to get their hands on our world class product.

This is a "Gold Plated iPad", with "multiple layers of 24 carat gold". A typical layer is probably .25 microns. Presumably they engrave it before they plate it.
post #36 of 38

Peeps,

Forget the gold plated iPad...the iPhone with USD14.5M black diamond is really more money then sense..lol

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/04/worlds-most-expensive-smartphone-15m-iphone-has-a-black-diamond/

Edit: Did not see that Hill60 posted the link before..apologies

post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

It is but I don't think these things are always made for style. Buying items made with a certain amount of gold will retain their value, they might even increase in value. Even if the iPad becomes worthless, the gold can be removed from it. It's probably not a good deal today but if you bought one of these in 2001, depending on how much gold it had, it might have been worth 5x the amount in 2011:

http://www.macrotrends.net/1333/gold-and-silver-prices-100-year-historical-chart
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It is but I don't think these things are always made for style. Buying items made with a certain amount of gold will retain their value, they might even increase in value. Even if the iPad becomes worthless, the gold can be removed from it. It's probably not a good deal today but if you bought one of these in 2001, depending on how much gold it had, it might have been worth 5x the amount in 2011:

http://www.macrotrends.net/1333/gold-and-silver-prices-100-year-historical-chart

If you're buying it as a gold investment, I'm confident that you'd be better off buying the same amount of gold and skipping the tablet that will depreciate more rapidly.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dubai hotel provides guests with iMacs, 24-karat gold iPad