or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft caught lying about tablet size in comparison to Apple's iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft caught lying about tablet size in comparison to Apple's iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvisser View Post

> the ASUS VivoTab Smart "has a bigger touchscreen,"
The keyword here is 'touchscreen', which includes the bezel.
In inches Microsoft is wrong:
iPad 7.31 * 9.5 = 69.46 vs VivoTab 6.7 * 10.3 = 69.01 (Staples.com)

But in millimeters Microsoft is correct:
iPad 185.7 * 241.2 = 44,790.8 vs VivoTab 171 * 262.5 = 44,887.5

Measurements are from manufacturer's website.

First, why in the world would you include the bezel in touch screen size?

Second, if one is larger than the other, it must be larger whether you use inches, millimeters, or parsecs.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

"One detail Microsoft doesn't mention: the current iPad has sported a Retina Display with a resolution of 2048 by 1536 for years now, while the new Asus Windows tablet has an "HD" resolution of just 1366 x768, more comparable to the original iPad from three years ago"

that is also misleading... you do not get 2048X1536 real estate on an ipad... you do get the full work environment of 1366X768 using windows 8

you cant do a direct resolution comparison - the OS is using the resolution in different ways.

Utter nonsense. I suppose you would say we should never have moved past VGA. Or, do you think all those extra pixels on the iPad are just part of a border? I'm struggling to imagine what logic could possibly lead you to this conclusion.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply
post #43 of 83
Originally Posted by Phrosty23
This isn't as bad as Apple photoshopping the heck out of Samsung phones to make them appear almost identical to iPhones for their lawsuits.

 

Shut up and go away.

 

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
I'm staggered at the amount of fake user accounts this site has, and nobody does anything. Accounts with more than six years with the first post this week, this troll right here... The f*ck tallest?

 

In total agreement. Fortunately, that shouldn't be the case much longer.


Originally Posted by Badbullet View Post
I think the blog source is making a mountain out of a ant hill.

 

It's false advertising. This is fine to you? So I can sell a cure for cancer that doesn't actually cure cancer and not be punished? 


The disclaimer at the bottom says the images are not to scale.

 

That isn't acceptable.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

3. MS says that iPad will only do one thing at a time. Clearly false.

 

The ad was clearly talking about viewing multiple apps on the same screen.  (They showed Outlook being used at the same time as viewing a video.)

 

 

Quote:
It won't be long before Apple's lawyers go after them.

 

You really think that'll happen?

post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrosty23 View Post

This isn't as bad as Apple photoshopping the heck out of Samsung phones to make them appear almost identical to iPhones for their lawsuits.

@ireland, the ad is comparing 64gb models to each other. If you want to go with the Mini, it's $529.

What total BS. Apple obviously didn't need to photoshop Samsung phones to make them look like iPhones - Samsung did that all by themselves! I suppose you think that Apple also secretly created and planted the internal Samsung documents produced at trial that clearly showed that they carefully, methodically and purposefully copied almost every single design and software feature they could to produce their first iPhone clone? And did so in just a matter of weeks, IP be damned?

post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I took the time to draw it up in Illustrator by the numbers and this it what it looks like. Not so far off but enough to make you wonder.

 

 

And BTW I did go to Microsoft's web page first to make sure what they were presenting.

 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare#t1=asus-vivotab-smart

 

Interesting, Microsoft states that iPads can only print to AirPrint printers, wrong I use Netgear genie to print to any printer on my network.

 

There are Apps for that.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #47 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbullet View Post

I think the blog source is making a mountain out of a ant hill.

No where on that site does it say that the Asus is 10.6", that is the size of the Surface RT, (which would be 48.05 square inches vs 45.16 square inches for the iPad). And I don't see anywhere where it says they claim it has a "bigger" screen. It's possible they updated it after finding the error, but no one made a screen shot of it, so...I don't know what to think here other than Daniel copied a bloggers info without actually checking on it himself.

The disclaimer at the bottom says the images are not to scale. If there was text saying "actual size for comparison", then you guys would have something to gripe about. The Asus, Dell, and Surface were all cropped to the same size according to their bezel's outer perimeter. So a little bit of intelligence and common sense tells you it isn't to scale when one of them has a 10.6" screen and the other two have a 10.1" screen. The HP ENVY x2 is 11.6" (57.53 square inches), and displayed the smallest out of all of them. Shouldn't HP be the one who's pissed here by this logic?

You guys really need to get out if you get your panties all bunched up over an ad that passes all legal guidelines.
 

Wow! Ignorance must be bliss! Since when, when you say mine is 10.1 and yours is only 9.7, with no footnote indicated, not a size comparison? The heading clearly says "display size" and clearly gives a number that is bigger. It does not take a genius to figure out how purposefully misleading this is when in fact the "display size" is significantly SMALLER. This has nothing to do with the footnote at the bottom that says images are not to scale. And by the way, why would you not give them to scale when your heading is "compare tablets" and you've indicated that size is one of the criteria?

post #48 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Interesting, Microsoft states that iPads can only print to AirPrint printers, wrong I use Netgear genie to print to any printer on my network.

 

There are Apps for that.

You might be interested in reading how Airprint was first enabled by default on all shared printers connected to a Mac and then mysteriously removed by Apple in an apparent deal with HP.

 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/11/developers-discover-hack-to-enable-shared-printers-for-airprint/

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post

M$ is being honest and is RIGHT.

The Asus tablet at 10.1 and a true resolution of 1366 x 768 is 33% greater than the 1024 x 768 that content is rendered then upscaled to retina resolution.

Load a webpage on each device side by side Machead and notice the Windows Asus tablet is displaying 33% more of the page.

God you people have got to be the stupidest userbase in all of computing including the original article author and this moron parroting it.

The whole purpose of Retina iPad is to show everything more clearly especially the type. Showing more of the web page is useless if the fonts are only a micron in height. Apple is scaling the page to make the fonts crisp but still large enough to read. BTW there is this little technique called pinch to zoom.

 

Oh and welcome to AI with an excellent first post /s

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #50 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

Except for the text of the ad that says the ASUS "has a bigger touchscreen" when it clearly doesn't? And why reference You Tube? Microsoft has all the egregious nonsense right on their own website:

 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare#t1=asus-vivotab-smart

 

 


Can you please share where on the webpage M$ says "has a bigger touchscreen"?

 

Do you not realize that the iPad renders everything at 1024x768 then simply upscales to "retina" resolution?

 

If you load the same webpage on both devices you will clearly see the Windows 8 device has 33% more of the webpage displayed and thus doesn't require nearly the same pinch to zoom BS to read the page.

post #51 of 83

> The iPad: 185.67x241.3, the other thing: 170.18x261.62.

Where did you get these measurements?

 

iPad 185.7 * 241.2 = 44,790.8 from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

VivoTab 171 * 262.5 = 44,887.5 from http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_VivoTab_Smart/#specifications
 

But then this method does not take into account rounded corners or the thickness of the frame.

post #52 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post

Do you not realize that the iPad renders everything at 1024x768 then simply upscales to "retina" resolution?

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There is no general set of principles as you keep harping on of the 1024 x 768. There are several issues to consider. 

 

1) Apps use a GUI separate from the web and are rendered at full resolution.

2) Text is resolution independent and is rendered at full resolution at every zoom level

3) Some web developers are programming with conditional logic to deliver higher resolution photos to Retina devices.

 

Now you should leave or find a new talking point.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #53 of 83
post #54 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Where the **** do those people come from? If not for internet forums I wouldn't believe such people exist outside of gated facilities with padded rooms.

Yeah, I was wondering the exact same thing, as I pondered if I should have wasted my time replying. 

post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post

Do you not realize that the iPad renders everything at 1024x768 then simply upscales to "retina" resolution?

This is simply not true and your webpage rendering example is irrelevant to this fact.

 

It's weird how multiple posters are spreading this false notion recently. Is this a new "talking point" as MS used to call them?

post #56 of 83
Did any of you notice Microsofts' statement at the bottom? "Images may not be to scale"

Yup, MS did that. Just to cover their butt. Most people won't see that and assume the Asus is better. That's bad marketing, but technically legal.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare#t1=asus-vivotab-smart

Edit: noticed it's already been mentioned
Edited by Timbit - 5/23/13 at 8:21pm
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The ad was clearly talking about viewing multiple apps on the same screen.  (They showed Outlook being used at the same time as viewing a video.)

Then why didn't they say that? Instead, they said "I can only do one thing at a time" which is clearly false.

The fact that you, in your Apple-hating style, want to pretend that it meant something different is not a defense. Telling lies in advertising is wrong - no matter how many Apple-haters deny it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #58 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The ad was clearly talking about viewing multiple apps on the same screen.  (They showed Outlook being used at the same time as viewing a video.)






You really think that'll happen?
Because people can read emails and watch videos on the same screen at the same time. What, your left eye is reading the email an your right eye is watching the video? MS could have come up with a better/more realistic mutitask there.
post #59 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then why didn't they say that? Instead, they said "I can only do one thing at a time" which is clearly false.

The fact that you, in your Apple-hating style, want to pretend that it meant something different is not a defense. Telling lies in advertising is wrong - no matter how many Apple-haters deny it.
Amazing how many people show up here with some sort of duty to correct what they feel are misstatements about other companies. As if AI was Wikipedia or an encyclopedia. Of course they're rarely seen on Apple threads that don't mention the competition.
post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then why didn't they say that? Instead, they said "I can only do one thing at a time" which is clearly false.

The fact that you, in your Apple-hating style, want to pretend that it meant something different is not a defense. Telling lies in advertising is wrong - no matter how many Apple-haters deny it.

 

Seriously, what is wrong with you, that you cannot hold a conversation without resorting to personal attacks?   It's as if you're so unsure of your own opinion, that you have to preemptively diss everyone else's.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Because people can read emails and watch videos on the same screen at the same time. What, your left eye is reading the email an your right eye is watching the video? MS could have come up with a better/more realistic mutitask there.

 

You're probably right (although I do often have TV news on and work at the same time).  What do you suggest as a better demo?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Amazing how many people show up here with some sort of duty to correct what they feel are misstatements about other companies. As if AI was Wikipedia or an encyclopedia. Of course they're rarely seen on Apple threads that don't mention the competition.

 

What's even more amazing (and sad), are the internet bullies here who seem totally clueless how childish they sound calling people "trolls" whenever they don't like what they say.  On any other forum, they would've been banned long ago.

post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then why didn't they say that? Instead, they said "I can only do one thing at a time" which is clearly false.

Especially as Siri is doing one thing, as the iPad is doing another.

Hey Microsoft, that's two things at once, thanks for the demonstration.

1wink.gif
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #62 of 83
Microsoft also draws attention to the fact that "the only consumer Office app the iPad can run is OneNote. Another lie in there advertising, iWork is available that does the same as Office does as well. So basically there whole commercial comparison is lie after lie. But when you have no real products that can compete, this is the only thing left for Microsoft to do is lie!
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Microsoft also draws attention to the fact that "the only consumer Office app the iPad can run is OneNote. Another lie in there advertising, iWork is available that does the same as Office does as well. So basically there whole commercial comparison is lie after lie. But when you have no real products that can compete, this is the only thing left for Microsoft to do is lie!

They specify "Microsoft Office", I was thinking along the same lines then double checked their site.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #64 of 83

The page has changed now but if MS did say the ASUS has a "bigger screen" then they were wrong. But I'm generally willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe that the person who wrote it though because the diagonal is larger the screen was bigger.

 

The AI article though is far far far more misleading though.

 

Mentioning the Retina display resolution is makes it sound like more fit's on the screen. But as quite a few people have mentioned, it doesn't! It simply means the pixels are clearer assuming the images used are at an increased size, which for most webpages they aren't. Text is always clearer though. The ASUS however is going to show more on the screen.

 

Saying Skydrive is available for the iPad making the total online storage 12GB is first of all just being argumentative. There's also Dropbox, Google Drive etc for both making it even higher. But more importantly it's just wrong. The iPad has a Skydrive app but nothing else on the iPad can use the storage unless the app individually adds the functionality. On Win8 Skydrive is integrated with the file system so every app automatically can use it. That's a huge fundamental difference.

 

Lastly stating the efforts have failed to gain traction is also a bit weird considering Win8 is selling as fast as Win7. And Win8 tablets achieved 7% market share in Q1 up from 0%.

 

I'm all for articles that point out companies making mistakes, but don't ruin all credibility by including a load of crap that's so misleading and borderline on not being true.

post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Microsoft also draws attention to the fact that "the only consumer Office app the iPad can run is OneNote. Another lie in there advertising, iWork is available that does the same as Office does as well. So basically there whole commercial comparison is lie after lie. But when you have no real products that can compete, this is the only thing left for Microsoft to do is lie!

"Does the same as Office does as well" - Seriously? Does pages now have smart art? Does numbers have flashfill and macros? Can you build an entire application on numbers?

 

I think you mean does the same as Office does as well, assuming you are a 14 year old child doing some homework and just want to change the font and spell check.

post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The ad was clearly talking about viewing multiple apps on the same screen.  (They showed Outlook being used at the same time as viewing a video.)






You really think that'll happen?

I'm genuinely curious. What blogs to you post on where you actually like the products discussed there?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Amazing how many people show up here with some sort of duty to correct what they feel are misstatements about other companies. As if AI was Wikipedia or an encyclopedia. Of course they're rarely seen on Apple threads that don't mention the competition.

What's even more amazing is the number of people who spend so many hours here bashing a product that they don't use and often have no experience with.

I've explained this before:
It's not uncommon for people to gather on fan sites to discuss a product that they like and use. It's normal human behavior to want to associate with people who are like you and who have similar interests.

It's not even that unusual or abnormal for people who have used a product and been disappointed to go to the sites dedicated to that product to complain about it. Again, normal human behavior.

What is strange about this whole thing is that people like you who don't use a product and often don't know anything about it go to a site to simply troll and bad-mouth the product. There are a number of Apple-haters here who proudly state that they'd never buy an Apple product and have no use for them. Yet they spend countless hours here spreading FUD and making fun of the people who like Apple products. It was common in the 90s (Macs vs Windows) and is common today (Macs vs Android). You do occasionally see it in car forums, but not as often (you will, occasionally, for example, see a Ferrari fan posting that Corvettes are junk, but it's not that common).

THAT is completely abnormal. I believe it's a variety of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. You have a group of people who have made one choice and can't tolerate the fact that someone else made a different choice, so they belittle them and spread FUD and simply muddy the waters. It's as if they can't psychologically deal with the fact that other people might make a different choice, so therefore anyone who makes a different choice than them must be wrong. Not just wrong, but evil.

I think this phenomenon would actually make an interesting psychological research project, but am pretty confident that the research would support what I've just said.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

THAT is completely abnormal. I believe it's a variety of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. You have a group of people who have made one choice and can't tolerate the fact that someone else made a different choice, so they belittle them and spread FUD and simply muddy the waters. It's as if they can't psychologically deal with the fact that other people might make a different choice, so therefore anyone who makes a different choice than them must be wrong. Not just wrong, but evil.

I think this phenomenon would actually make an interesting psychological research project, but am pretty confident that the research would support what I've just said.

I would defer to you as an expert on NPD. I would imagine some doctor took whatever time was needed to explain it to you and the treatments that are available. 1rolleyes.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #69 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would defer to you as an expert on NPD. I would imagine some doctor took whatever time was needed to explain it to you and the treatments that are available. 1rolleyes.gif

Yes, we already know that there's NO topic that you know anything about, so I'm sure it amazes you when someone is knowledgable about something.

And, no, I don't have NPD, but know several people who do - and there's a striking resemblance to some of the more strident trolls here.
Edited by jragosta - 5/24/13 at 6:50am
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post

 



1) what the hell are you talking about here? Are you saying Safari is using a different "GUI" or compositing engine?

2) what the hell are you talking about again... fonts have a fixed pixel matrix pal and devs use webfonts with @font-face HTML5 feature enabled 90% of the time and CSS @media selectors for pages rendered to iOS devices

3) pathetic attempt to sound like you know WTF you're talking about but clearly you show as an average luser machead with no technical knowledge what so ever.

 

1) Reading is fundamental. The user interface for the Safari app is rendered at the device-native resolution - so no loss of screen "real-estate" there. The web rendering engine is a separate issue altogether, and is only relevant to the content being rendered - you don't say that you lose "screen real-estate" when your HD tv is displaying a standard-definition video source scaled up to the the display's full size, do you?

 

2) Fonts only have a fixed pixel matrix if they're bitmapped fonts - which on the web in the year 2013 is very, very, very few. @font-face usage (or lack thereof) is irrelevant, not to mention that a user agent (i.o.w. the browser) is at liberty to adjust any aspect of the actual font rendering to [ostensibly] suit the display it's rendered to, regardless of what the CSS hints/suggests, which for Safari on iOS means fonts always get rendered at device-native resolutions. Also, if a page specifies alternate layouts for a different device, then a comparison of that content is meaningless and your argument is meritless (as they're effectively different sets of rendering instructions). Compare a page that only has a single layout for the two devices and tell us what you see (hint: the device with more pixels will render more of the page - i.o.w. more "real-estate").

 

3) Yeah, that whole "luser machead" comment really validates your statements and demonstrates how technically savvy you are. Well played. 1rolleyes.gif Let me try:

 

I sense a disturbance in the force ... the fail is strong with this one. lol.gif

post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

"Does the same as Office does as well" - Seriously? Does pages now have smart art? Does numbers have flashfill and macros? Can you build an entire application on numbers?

I think you mean does the same as Office does as well, assuming you are a 14 year old child doing some homework and just want to change the font and spell check.

Because everyone uses macros and build excel apps. If you ask 100 people on the street, I bet you the vast majority don't use Excel macros or know what they are.
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...
One detail Microsoft doesn't mention: the current iPad has sported a Retina Display with a resolution of 2048 by 1536 for years now, while the new Asus Windows tablet has an "HD" resolution of just 1366 x768, more comparable to the original iPad from three years ago.
...
 

 

"..for years now" ... Don't you mean for a year now??


Edited by icoco3 - 5/24/13 at 7:50am
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwolf View Post

Um the only one lying is the one who wrote this article.

They cropped the picture to make the Asus look bigger

and then complain about it.

 

The actual video is real to size :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JMcy5OqZA

 

You're right the actual usable space is smaller with Windows full 8 on it and a backup partition - which ipad doesn't have.

So what they did was just compare hardware used - regardless of space used features.

 

I went to www.windows.com/compare and captured the image of the 2 tablets. I captured the image of the 2 tablets in this article. I adjusted the scale of the smaller to fit the larger. They are identical. Got anything else to jabber about?

post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbullet View Post

The disclaimer at the bottom says the images are not to scale. If there was text saying "actual size for comparison", then you guys would have something to gripe about. 

 

Yes, at the bottom, THREE pages down (on my screen anyway). There is something to gripe about; hardly anyone would see that.

 

And why NOT have them represented to scale? Answer: Because it would tend to not support Microsoft's claims.

post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Because people can read emails and watch videos on the same screen at the same time. What, your left eye is reading the email an your right eye is watching the video? MS could have come up with a better/more realistic mutitask there.

 

This illustrates that Microsoft is still stuck in the corporate use-case realm...

 

* At work, I use multiple open windows at work to view emails or notes so that I can refer to them when, say, monkeying around in vSphere or an SSH session in another window.

 

* At home, I really don't give a crap - unless I'm working on some sort of coding or CG project, I usually full-screen whatever it is that's occupying my eyeballs at the moment. Hell, if I'm watching a movie, I definitely have that full-screened.

 

That sort-of explains why the Microsofties are all foamy about multi-screen bits. 

 

Mind you, I'm talking laptop usage in my above example. Tablets? No frickin' way I'd bother with multiple windows.

post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

Wow. Rationalize much?

 

Speaking of truth in advertising, I think you should have named your account "badtroll" instead… I mean c'mon.

How about an actual rebuttal with a little maturity? Have you worked in advertising? Any experience in how fast these things are put together and rushed in front of the consumer? Look at the first Siri commercial. Would you call that lying, or just advertising?

 

And by the way, in the US, there is very little to truth in advertising... We can call products "Industrial Strength", when they are not used by any industry but in consumers households. Tools can be labeled "Professional", or "Heavy Duty", when they are far from. The product can have "Carbon" in its name and a carbon fiber pattern printed on it,, when it is not made out of carbon fiber. Unless it specifically states that it has something that it doesn't, there's no lie. Since there are no standards for what really makes something industrial strength, but yet can be sold to the public in local stores, to anyone, it can be called that. No standard for what actually makes a tool professional or heavy duty, it can be called that. And having a name including carbon, does not mean it is made out of a carbon composite, so it can be named that.

 

And in this instance, no where does it state the images are to scale So assuming so is just consumer stupidity or blind patriotism to another product, rushing in to defend it over the stupidest thing and making a scandal out of nothing. If you go to the link, you'd see by clicking through every one of the comparison products, that 3 of the 4 were scaled up to the same size, while each one being a different length x width total dimensions. If you think that they are misleading you by making 3 products the same size, and the forth, being actually the largest (the HP), into the smallest, then you really need to set your pad down, walk outside, and take a deep breath and chill out.

post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Wow! Ignorance must be bliss! Since when, when you say mine is 10.1 and yours is only 9.7, with no footnote indicated, not a size comparison? The heading clearly says "display size" and clearly gives a number that is bigger. It does not take a genius to figure out how purposefully misleading this is when in fact the "display size" is significantly SMALLER. This has nothing to do with the footnote at the bottom that says images are not to scale. And by the way, why would you not give them to scale when your heading is "compare tablets" and you've indicated that size is one of the criteria?

The images are just a visualization. If it was to be to scale, then the other manufacturers should be mad as well, since the HP is displayed as the smallest of the bunch, and the Surface is displayed to not have the larger screen compared  to the Asus or the Dell. Giving the diagonal dimension is not lying. That is how both 4:3 and 16:9 displays are measured. You think there's a giant conspiracy when that's how you measure both screens? And I don't know how much you brain can comprehend, but how is 3.5% "significantly SMALLER"? Exaggerate much? Each ratio has its advantages for certain tasks. Viewing web pages is more convenient on a 4:3, as you get more comfortable paragraph spacing and sizing. And so is gaming, since many touch based games are now designed to that ratio.. But something like an instrument simulator (like the piano keys, or guitar tabs) or HD movie will be larger on the 16:9. Or viewing two programs split screen work better on 16:9. Maybe because the numbers and screen ratios confused you, that you assume it is false advertising and they must somehow pay when there would be no legal grounds to claim such. Seriously, when I see a real case of false advertising, I will agree with it. But in this case, you are crying for no comprehendible reason other than to defend what you use.

post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbullet View Post

The images are just a visualization. If it was to be to scale, then the other manufacturers should be mad as well, since the HP is displayed as the smallest of the bunch, and the Surface is displayed to not have the larger screen compared  to the Asus or the Dell. Giving the diagonal dimension is not lying. That is how both 4:3 and 16:9 displays are measured. You think there's a giant conspiracy when that's how you measure both screens? And I don't know how much you brain can comprehend, but how is 3.5% "significantly SMALLER"? Exaggerate much? Each ratio has its advantages for certain tasks. Viewing web pages is more convenient on a 4:3, as you get more comfortable paragraph spacing and sizing. And so is gaming, since many touch based games are now designed to that ratio.. But something like an instrument simulator (like the piano keys, or guitar tabs) or HD movie will be larger on the 16:9. Or viewing two programs split screen work better on 16:9. Maybe because the numbers and screen ratios confused you, that you assume it is false advertising and they must somehow pay when there would be no legal grounds to claim such. Seriously, when I see a real case of false advertising, I will agree with it. But in this case, you are crying for no comprehendible reason other than to defend what you use.

Images are one thing, but they actually said that the iPad screen was smaller - which is false.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #79 of 83

Looks like the spell checking paid off, because now CNN is linking to AppleInsider:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/24/apple-ipad-microsoft-advertising/

 

Either that, or CNN is sinking to a new low. Or newer low.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #80 of 83
Quote:

Interesting, Microsoft states that iPads can only print to AirPrint printers, wrong I use Netgear genie to print to any printer on my network.

 

There are Apps for that

 

 

It doesn't matter. iPad just can't do it by itself.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft caught lying about tablet size in comparison to Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft caught lying about tablet size in comparison to Apple's iPad