or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Judge says evidence will likely show Apple culpable in e-book price fixing case

Judge says evidence will likely show Apple culpable in e-book price fixing case - Page 4

post #121 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

"Judge Denise Cote said the U.S Department of Justice will likely be able to prove that Apple colluded with major book publishers to falsely inflate the prices of e-books sold through the iBookstore."

If that's not pre-judging, I don't know what is.

"Falsely inflate"?

Removing a discount is falsely inflating, now, is it?

That means any seller of anything who offers a discount is now guilty of "price fixing" if they remove it.

America is so f*cked up.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #122 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Based on what? The fact that you are a Tim Cook pants dweller and that Apple can do no wrong? Apple is not your friend or the friend of anyone. They are as evil and greedy as Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Nokia, etc... The moment you wake up to understand this, the better for you and your ill-informed comments.
That is to F**kin much. Lol. Pants dweller. Ahhahaha. Ah sh*t that was funny.
post #123 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

That is to F**kin much. Lol. Pants dweller. Ahhahaha. Ah sh*t that was funny.

Almost as funny as having a girl's name when you're a boy, eh?

And I think the '69' in your handle gave away your exact level of maturity and what would amuse you.

1wink.gif

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
post #124 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"Falsely inflate"?

Removing a discount is falsely inflating, now, is it?

That means any seller of anything who offers a discount is now guilty of "price fixing" if they remove it.

America is so f*cked up.

That's not what it says.

Inflating prices is perfectly legal. Discounting is perfectly legal. Neither one is price fixing.

The key part of her statement was the collusion part. It may well be just as illegal to conspire to reduced prices as it is to increase prices. It's the collusion that's illegal - not the price you choose.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #125 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

No kidding Apple will be found guilty. The government needs money and Apple has it. They always get what they want one way or another. If they can't get to Apple via the IRS then they will get it through other channels. Apple should have given more to the lobbyists and this would not have happened.

This truly is silly. The DOJ did not seek money damages in the previous consent decrees against the other publishers. What the government sought was a consent that ended all the price fixing. An example of the consents that was signed can be found here. http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f291000/291018.pdf
post #126 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The price of the equivalent paperback books, $12.99 which were selling in those dead things once known as book stores.
Bookstores are FAR from dead Hill60. They may not be as popular as they once were but there are MANY people, myself included, who prefer print media over ebooks and there are plenty of places to get them.

Yes we're probably dinosaurs but even the LP isn't dead despite the doom-sayers.
Edited by Lord Amhran - 5/24/13 at 10:23pm
post #127 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

This truly is silly. The DOJ did not seek money damages in the previous consent decrees against the other publishers. What the government sought was a consent that ended all the price fixing. An example of the consents that was signed can be found here. http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f291000/291018.pdf

Did you not read this?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/22/penguin-agrees-to-75m-settlement-in-apple-ibooks-price-fixing-lawsuit
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #128 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Almost as funny as having a girl's name when you're a boy, eh?

And I think the '69' in your handle gave away your exact level of maturity and what would amuse you.

1wink.gif
post #129 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Oooh that hurts. Hahahahaha
And that's the year I was born. I guess the people that know me understand. Buts that post is still funny as sh*t.
post #130 of 133

Sure i read that no money is going to the federal government for the lawsuit that it brought. Now if you're suggesting that the DOJ is bringing lawsuits so that state attorneys and private plaintiffscan bring their own lawsuit that is a bit far fetched. So no my statement remains unchainged.
post #131 of 133
A reminder for anyone interested: The trial starts tomorrow so watch for a plethora of articles over the next few days.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #132 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A reminder for anyone interested: The trial starts tomorrow so watch for a plethora of [arguments] over the next few days.

Fixed that for you. 1biggrin.gif

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #133 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Fixed that for you. 1biggrin.gif

Thanks! Much better.1cool.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Judge says evidence will likely show Apple culpable in e-book price fixing case