or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon Cloud iPhone backup software launches on Apple's App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon Cloud iPhone backup software launches on Apple's App Store

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Verizon this week launched a new iPhone application for its subscribers that gives access to the carrier's cloud-based syncing and backup service.

Verizon


The official Verizon Cloud application is now available as a free download on the App Store. It requires iOS 5.0 or later, and is optimized for the 4-inch display on the iPhone 5.

Customers can sign up for the Verizon Cloud service, which debuted last month, by visiting the carrier's website. The entry-level 500-megabyte plan is free, while 25 gigabytes are available for $2.99 per month, 75 gigabytes for $5.99 per month, or 125 gigabytes for $9.99 per month.

Features of the newly released iOS application, according to Verizon, include:
  • Keep your phone's content safe and secure in your own private cloud storage
  • Access your content when you need it, even on the go, on any compatible device, your computer or the web
  • Sync photos and videos from Verizon Cloud to your device, and then share that synched content with your friends and family
  • Stream music and access documents stored in Verizon Cloud on your phone
  • Backup content from your computer's hard drive to your Verizon Cloud using the downloadable computer app. You can then access that content on your mobile devices.
post #2 of 17
You really going to trust Verizon?
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

You really going to trust Verizon?

This seems pretty straightforward.
Quote:
Keep your phone's content safe and secure in your own private cloud storage
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #4 of 17
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
This seems pretty straightforward.

 

How in the world do you think that's an answer?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #5 of 17
No thanks. Lol
post #6 of 17
No thank you.
post #7 of 17
No thanks. I'll stick with the new dropbox killer http://goo.gl/KRJdT

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

Reply

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

Reply
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How in the world do you think that's an answer?

I'd question it if it were free, and they've had Backup Assistant for a few years now so I think that they have some good experience with cloud backups.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #9 of 17
How is this different from these: iCloud, Drop Box, and various other Online Backups?

Privacy and Competence are Major Concerns too!

I don't see how Verizon's, or any Cell Carrier's Support for Apple's Products is better than AppleCare!

Walking into US Cell Carrier's Stores is the best Advertising for AppleCare! In most cases in those stores they try harder to sell Android Phones. Why? Cause Apple's Products Just Work, and thus puts the Carrier's Employees Out Of Work, cause their "Support" is not needed. That is what I have observed, so I assume that it's like that in most places!

All Carriers should focus on is Reliable Fast Connection at Lowest Price!

Apple lets these Apps in its stores, and Consumers vote with their Money!

I understand that iCloud Backup is not as Complete as Local USB Backup! So is Verizon saying that they have solved that problem, so that Local USB and iCloud iOS Backups are Identical? If yes, I'd love Apple to offer the same capability!

We'll see what News WWDC 2013 has to offer with the New iOS 7 and Mac OS 9 etc.

I'd love to see Apple offer Renewals of AppleCare after the Initial 3 Years! That way one goes to the Source! Obviously, with the Toll Free Phone Support!

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #10 of 17
Sure thing, Verizon, I'll back up my files on your network.

And then discover that I can't retrieve them when needed because it will exceed your bandwidth caps…
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I'd question it if it were free, and they've had Backup Assistant for a few years now so I think that they have some good experience with cloud backups.

This is a good point - VZ already has experience in the area.  I don't see any reason why they'd be less trustworthy than Apple.  While iCloud has been very good overall, it's not like it hasn't had hiccups.  That said, the 15GB iCloud subscription I already pay for is enough for me.

post #12 of 17
It's more drop box than iCloud. As for the audience. It's for people who are loyal to carriers not phones. Probably nobody here.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Features of the newly released iOS application, according to Verizon, include:
  • Keep your phone's content safe and secure in your own private cloud storage

I don't know what this is supposed mean! iOS apps are sandboxed and can't access each other's data. So the most this app could do is backup your camera roll and other common media files, but iCloud already does this for free! So what are you paying for here? Maybe access to your PC backups from your mobile device?
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

No thanks. I'll stick with the new dropbox killer http://goo.gl/KRJdT


Promising, but only another entry.  Google's now giving 15GB (combined across all Google services, including GMail). Kind of interesting, though, that for those willing to allocate different kinds of files to different services and remember what goes where that between all the free plans out there it's getting relatively easy to cobble together up to 50-60GB or more of free cloud storage...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

...Walking into US Cell Carrier's Stores is the best Advertising for AppleCare! In most cases in those stores they try harder to sell Android Phones. Why? Cause Apple's Products Just Work, and thus puts the Carrier's Employees Out Of Work, cause their "Support" is not needed. That is what I have observed, so I assume that it's like that in most places!...

 

Just correcting you on one point of your post.  Think it's fairly well-established that the main reason store reps push Androids is not service income, it's upfront income on the sale.  Apple demands and gets a higher margin on iPhones sold by the carriers at the same price point as Androids.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I don't know what this is supposed mean! iOS apps are sandboxed and can't access each other's data. So the most this app could do is backup your camera roll and other common media files, but iCloud already does this for free! So what are you paying for here? Maybe access to your PC backups from your mobile device?

It's primarily for people who change devices not carriers. Move your photos from iOS to Android etc.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #16 of 17
Feeble attempt at yet more Verizon lock-in.
My Verizon-using friends say that Verizon has always been the King of Lock-In.
First by storing all your contact info on their servers back in the dumb-phone days.
Making it much harder to transfer your contacts to a competing network's phone.
And now they're asking money for a service that's free from Apple with all iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Feeble attempt at yet more Verizon lock-in.
My Verizon-using friends say that Verizon has always been the King of Lock-In.
First by storing all your contact info on their servers back in the dumb-phone days.
Making it much harder to transfer your contacts to a competing network's phone.
And now they're asking money for a service that's free from Apple with all iPhones.

Down with free stuff on the Internet!
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon Cloud iPhone backup software launches on Apple's App Store