or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple CEO mum on 'iWatch,' but praises Nike FuelBand & pans Google Glass

Apple CEO mum on 'iWatch,' but praises Nike FuelBand & pans Google Glass

post #1 of 27
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook unsurprisingly declined to reveal any details about his company's future products at D11 on Tuesday, but he did offer some general comments on the emerging wearable device market.

Cook
Apple CEO Tim Cook at the D11 conference. | Source: AllThingsD

Pressed by journalists Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher on wearable computing, Cook admitted that he finds the market to be an interesting space. He said he believes a large number of companies will sell competing wearable devices, but declined to say whether Apple will be one of those companies.

Cook did, however, reveal that he's a fan of the Nike FuelBand fitness tracker. He said the fitness company did a "great job" on the product, which connects to the iPhone, and revealed that he regularly uses the device.

As for Google Glass, Cook said he doesn't believe the search company's headset will become a mass-market item. He sees Google Glass being a niche product for certain markets.

While glasses may not be the direction the wearable computing market will head in Cook's eyes, he did say he felt the space is "ripe for exploration." He suggested that the wrist might be a more natural location to place a device.

But any such device must be much more than simply a computer worn on the wrist, the Apple CEO said.

?The whole sensor field is going to explode,? he said. ?It?s a little all over the place right now. With the arc of time it will become clearer.?

Last week, well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI securities suggested Apple is likely to release a so-called "iWatch" device in late 2014 with a focus on biometrics. He said the device will have a screen size between 1.5 and 2 inches, and will offer deep integration with existing iOS devices, like the iPhone and iPad.

As for those current devices, Cook was asked by Mossberg and Swisher about the dominant presence of Android in the market. Cook countered by noting that Apple makes the most music players and tablets, but not phones or PCs.

The CEO said he doesn't have his "head stuck in the sand" regarding the successes of Android in the smartphone space, but he also noted that winning at Apple isn't about making and selling the most products.
post #2 of 27
1) Interesting that he wears a FuelBand.

2) I'm glad to hear Cook look positively on the wearable computer market. I think this is going to be huge.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 27
Oh Tim, you may be correct but I get worried when any CEO says such things about an emerging technology. Apple of all companies knows how that can be way of base.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #4 of 27
Is there a reason AI couldn't have one article for this rather than splitting it into multiple ones. It's not like Cook really said much. In fact I'm not sure why he even does these things because he has so little to say. And no he didn't pan google glass. 1rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh Tim, you may be correct but I get worried when any CEO says such things about an emerging technology. Apple of all companies knows how that can be way of base.

I worry about any CEO that doesn't. Technology has to start somewhere.

Besides your comment makes no sense:

• Apple I
  • Apple II
  • Mac
  • Newton
  • iPod
  • iPhone
  • iPad

If Apple didn't invent it they looked at the technology and saw how they could make it work.

Apple has often been at the forefront of emergent technology so for you to be worried about Apple's CEO looking this way then you haven't been paying attention over the past 30 years.

post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Don't forget that it's often standard procedure for Apple to downplay a market or area of interest before jumping into it themselves (video on iPods, etc.).

post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lun_Esex View Post

Don't forget that it's often standard procedure for Apple to downplay a market or area of interest before jumping into it themselves (video on iPods, etc.).

I don't think Apple are stupid enough to jump into the "market" of head mounted computers.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is there a reason AI couldn't have one article for this rather than splitting it into multiple ones. It's not like Cook really said much. In fact I'm not sure why he even does these things because he has so little to say. And no he didn't pan google glass. 1rolleyes.gif

Milking is best done one squeeze at a time.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Interesting that he wears a FuelBand.

2) I'm glad to hear Cook look positively on the wearable computer market. I think this is going to be huge.

Google Glass is a bluetooth device.  It is too expensive for an accessory to cost $1500.  

post #10 of 27
I believe that Google Glasses has the potential to be huge, and be as big a game-changer as the iPad was to the PC market in 2010, but only IF Google gets it right.

I sincerely hope Apple introduces something similar at some point in the future.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I believe that Google Glasses has the potential to be huge, and be as big a game-changer as the iPad was to the PC market in 2010, but only IF Google gets it right.

I sincerely hope Apple introduces something similar at some point in the future.

It is a waste of resources if you ask me. I can't see glass ever becoming socially acceptable.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Huge among perverts hanging around toilet blocks.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #13 of 27
I think it's interesting that earlier this year Nike announced that they won't be making an Android App. With Tim singing their praises, I wouldn't be surprised if the "iWatch" had Nike+ features deeply integrated.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

There are already enough things out for perverts - go onto Amazon and search for spy pen and you get lots of cameras you can hid on your person and film people without their knowledge. At least if you wear google glass people can see you have a camera pointing at them. The other day I saw some guy on the subway pretending to do be typing on his iPhone when he was actually videoing the girl across from him.
post #15 of 27
the iwatch or any smart watch is the new tracking ankle bracelet for the masses.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

I worry about any CEO that doesn't. Technology has to start somewhere.

Besides your comment makes no sense:

• Apple I
  • Apple II
  • Mac
  • Newton
  • iPod
  • iPhone
  • iPad

If Apple didn't invent it they looked at the technology and saw how they could make it work.

Apple has often been at the forefront of emergent technology so for you to be worried about Apple's CEO looking this way then you haven't been paying attention over the past 30 years.

Do not forget Jobs stating that 10 inch was the minimum necessary size for a tablet. And of course, Jobs was famous for saying that no-one was going to buy a big phone. At the time, 4.3 inch was about as big as you could get. Not event Jobs got it right all the time. What hope has Cook got.
post #17 of 27

Apple should buy Nike! /s

censored

censored

post #18 of 27
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
Do not forget Jobs stating that 10 inch was the minimum necessary size for a tablet.

Said no such thing.

And of course, Jobs was famous for saying that no-one was going to buy a big phone.

And Apple isn't making a big phone.

Come on, man.

What hope has Cook got.

The hope that idiots will finally stop misquoting every single person on the planet.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nope, we don't want Google Glasses either. Battery life is too short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb 
There are already enough things out for perverts - go onto Amazon and search for spy pen and you get lots of cameras you can hid on your person and film people without their knowledge.

Watches are the least conspicuous:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293906/GP-filmed-groping-300-women-using-secret-James-Bond-style-camera-hidden-watch.html

You'd think they'd have complained while being groped but it seems only after they found out it was recorded. Life lesson: grope away, just turn off the cameras first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan 
And no he didn't pan google glass.

He did put down this incarnation. He said people don't want to wear glasses unless they have to, they want them to be as light as possible (Google Glasses are heavier than standard glasses and unevenly weighted) and they want them to be fashionable.

Even if they got lighter, had a longer battery life, could be integrated easily into any fashionable design, that still leaves the problem of people not wanting to wear glasses. People wear sunglasses without them being a requirement but people will want a wearable computing device with them at all times and there's the issue of changing glasses - you can't wear sunglasses and Google Glasses at the same time. Their Explorer Edition may fix this problem.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Watches are the least conspicuous:

A bit of a segue but I seem to recall Cook last night saying that the wrist is interesting.

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Welcome to the new generation, the markets, the news cycle, the hits, the hip, everything now-a-days has such a short attention span, very few really understand Apple as they don't know it's history or the history of personal computing. You and I are the old dogs, who have been paying attention over the past 30 years. Many of the new dogs were just puppies and didn't get to paying attention until just a few years ago. By the way, the new dogs don't want to hear our barks - no matter how correct they may be. Each generation must make its own mistakes, I guess. It is just really stupid to repeat past mistakes, when history is so prevalent and readily available.

post #22 of 27
Tim Cook says: "I wear glasses because I have to. I don't know a lot of people who wear them because they don't have to. The wrist is more interesting."
Actually Tim, Google Glasses are more interesting and offer the richer experience. The wrist watch does not. In fact it's boring -- and leaves one hand useless.
Why would we want to do that?
No, Tim, that dog won't hunt.
So you'd better get started with Apple Glasses or you'll be on the outside looking in.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafantaris View Post

Actually Tim, Google Glasses are more interesting and offer the richer experience. The wrist watch does not. In fact it's boring -- and leaves one hand useless.

1) How exactly does the hand become useless when wearing someone on the wrist like a watch of Nike FuelBand? The whole point is that you can have out of the way tool on your wrist so you can still have use of the hand.

2) I don't know about you but Google Glass with glasses seems pretty inconvenient and potentially very uncomfortable with two man-made objects on my head vying to be placed comfortably over my ears. I certainly wouldn't where two a FuelBand and watch on the same wrist for similar reasons and yet there is a lot more room on my arm than the crux of my scalp and ear.

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I think it's interesting that earlier this year Nike announced that they won't be making an Android App. With Tim singing their praises, I wouldn't be surprised if the "iWatch" had Nike+ features deeply integrated.

Nike not making an Android App.... Tim singing Nike's praises....  iWatch and Nike+ may very well have deeply integrated features...

All of these probably have a lot less to do with Nike not wanting to build an Android app or Tim actually thinking Nike products are great than with the simple fact that.....

Tim Cook is on the board of directors for Nike....

Of course he is going to say great things about Nike and muscle them into excluding Android.

The big questions is whether Tim will pull an Eric Schmidt and choose to have his company compete with a product from another company that he is on the board of directors of...

If so I'd expect to see his resignation from Nike sooner rather than later.

That said.....  who cares if he pans Google glass a little.  That's his job.  I'm sure Apple considered glasses, and decided, "Nope, we want to do a watch instead"  He's more or less confirming that that's Apples stance and that's why they are focusing on what they are focusing on.  They may be proven right, they may be proven wrong.  The certain thing is they will follow the market.

Steve Ballmer laughed at Apple trying to sell the 'most expensive phone ever' HAHAHAHA   He was proven wrong.

Steve Jobs openly panned small tablets stating they wouldn't be a good experience.... once the market proved people really like 7" tablets Apple was quick to change tack and rushed the iPad mini out the door.  It was a huge success and really staunched considerable damage Apple would have taken otherwise.

Glass is the same way.  They don't think it will be a huge success and might have chosen not to pursue something similar because of that belief.  They may very well be right.  If they are wrong they will shift gears and produce their own amazing version.

post #25 of 27
Quote:

1) How exactly does the hand become useless when wearing someone on the wrist like a watch of Nike FuelBand? The whole point is that you can have out of the way tool on your wrist so you can still have use of the hand.

2) I don't know about you but Google Glass with glasses seems pretty inconvenient and potentially very uncomfortable with two man-made objects on my head vying to be placed comfortably over my ears. I certainly wouldn't where two a FuelBand and watch on the same wrist for similar reasons and yet there is a lot more room on my arm than the crux of my scalp and ear.

Google Glasses seem weird. I initially thought their goal would be to integrate such a thing into existing eyewear. Even then it seems pretty invasive.
 I'm not that big on wearable items unless they partially displace the use of something else. More people would wear watches if they displaced some phone functions. The reason this has been coming up lately is due to shrinking hardware. They can hit the level of good enough on basic hardware performance in increasingly smaller form factors, aside from certain specific features like LTE. I suspect battery life is still a problem on small devices though.

post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Google Glasses seem weird. I initially thought their goal would be to integrate such a thing into existing eyewear. Even then it seems pretty invasive.

I'm not that big on wearable items unless they partially displace the use of something else. More people would wear watches if they displaced some phone functions. The reason this has been coming up lately is due to shrinking hardware. They can hit the level of good enough on basic hardware performance in increasingly smaller form factors, aside from certain specific features like LTE. I suspect battery life is still a problem on small devices though.

There is a lot of innovative tech in Google Glass but this in itself is not a game change. Instead it's just a milestone marker. Like the Apple Newton or Lisa. What Apple has done very well at since Jobs returned was to not releasing a new product until it's something that can be understood, utilized and desired by the masses. This is what kills about the people that sign up here just to say that such and such company had this one aspect in some fashion in a device before Apple. It's a completely pointless to say something is first without any measure of if it's good.

I think Google Glass falls into that milestone category. It may be the device that truly is the demarcation of wearable computers despite wrist worn computers around for years but I don't see it as being anything as groundbreaking as the Blackberry, iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod, Walkman or Gameboy (to name a few). What I don't think is good for Google Glass is the apparent lack of focus on the design. It's WiFi and BT, and can be paired with an Android-based device or used independently. I think making an accessory to smartphone would be a better focused design, and where I think Apple is looked at with wearable computers.

post #27 of 27
Quote:

There is a lot of innovative tech in Google Glass but this in itself is not a game change. Instead it's just a milestone marker. Like the Apple Newton or Lisa. What Apple has done very well at since Jobs returned was to not releasing a new product until it's something that can be understood, utilized and desired by the masses. This is what kills about the people that sign up here just to say that such and such company had this one aspect in some fashion in a device before Apple. It's a completely pointless to say something is first without any measure of if it's good.

I know some designers came up with jewelry concepts around bluetooth accessories. I don't know if any ever made it to market, but they beat google to the concept.

Quote:

I think Google Glass falls into that milestone category. It may be the device that truly is the demarcation of wearable computers despite wrist worn computers around for years but I don't see it as being anything as groundbreaking as the Blackberry, iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod, Walkman or Gameboy (to name a few). What I don't think is good for Google Glass is the apparent lack of focus on the design. It's WiFi and BT, and can be paired with an Android-based device or used independently. I think making an accessory to smartphone would be a better focused design, and where I think Apple is looked at with wearable computers.

Those other devices were distinctively mass market products in their respective eras. Google Glass doesn't really attempt to be that. In terms of being a phone accessory, it comes down to whether it allows you to pull out your phone fewer times in a day. I never liked watches personally, as I'm clumsy. I would just end up glancing it on walls too often.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple CEO mum on 'iWatch,' but praises Nike FuelBand & pans Google Glass