or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Cook explains 'one-a-year' iPhone strategy, hints at future models at variable price points

Apple's Cook explains 'one-a-year' iPhone strategy, hints at future models at variable price points

post #1 of 78
At the D11 conference on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook explained why Apple doesn't release a host of iPhones with varying features like other major handset makers, saying that the tradeoffs in making multiple devices would outweigh the positives of making one solid device.

Tim Cook
Apple CEO Tim Cook brandishes his white iPhone 5 during an interview at the D11 conference. | Source: AllThingsD

During the wide ranging discussion, AllThingsD's Walt Mossberg asked why Apple has yet to offer iPhone variants like the company did with its successful iPod lineup.

"When you guys did the iPod, Steve joked it was good to have products that was above five percent share," Mossberg said. "One of the things you did was to create a range of iPods, not just last year's model. You wound up with this whole range of things. You haven't done that with the iPhone."

In an in-depth response, Cook noted that creating a smartphone is an involved process, with many details that require attention to get right. Unlike a music player, the resources needed to develop and redevelop a lineup of iPhones would be a daunting task.

Continuing with Mossberg's example, Cook said that each iPod filled a niche, from the small lightweight iPod nano and iPod mini to the capacious iPod classic.

"My only point is these products all served a different person, a different type, they served different needs," Cook said. "For the phone that is the question. Are we now at a point to serve enough people that we need to do that?""Are we now at a point to serve enough people that we need to do that?" - Apple CEO Tim Cook on multiple iPhone models.

Mossberg countered by citing the rise of the "phablet," or devices with screen sizes in between smartphones and tablets. With the iPhone 5, Apple changed the handset's screen size for the first time since the original iPhone launched in 2007.

To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

Preceding the lengthy answer, Cook was quick to point out that Apple may one day release a second model alongside a future flagship iPhone, perhaps with a different feature set and price point.

"Well we haven't so far," he said. "That doesn't shut off the future."

Apple has been rumored to be preparing a low-cost iPhone possibly made of a plastic hybrid material to shave manufacturing costs. Most recently, partner supplier Pegatron was said to be readying a massive hire of 40,000 additional workers for the second half of 2013, suggesting a major product ramp-up will take at that time.
post #2 of 78
Please, Dear God, no bigger phones. Those "phablets" are a TERRIBLE size. Too big to hold, too big to use one-handed, too big to fit into a pocket. They are the very definition of disgusting.
post #3 of 78
I don't need a phablet or a cheap plastic phone and I don't think Apple needs them either. What might be good however is a limited feature phone, which because it is limited would be cheaper. Makes calls, sends texts, music player, camera, contacts, calendar etc. but no apps, no email or safari. An iPhone for those that do all their big stuff on an iPad and don't need a fancy phone.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I don't need a phablet or a cheap plastic phone and I don't think Apple needs them either. What might be good however is a limited feature phone, which because it is limited would be cheaper. Makes calls, sends texts, music player, camera, contacts, calendar etc. but no apps, no email or safari. An iPhone for those that do all their big stuff on an iPad and don't need a fancy phone.

I see where you're going with that, but I think non-smartphones are dead as a business. That *would* be like the iPod nano, but there's just no business there when it comes to phones. Has to have apps.
post #5 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Please, Dear God, no bigger phones. Those "phablets" are a TERRIBLE size. Too big to hold, too big to use one-handed, too big to fit into a pocket. They are the very definition of disgusting.

Phablets? Sure... I agree that 5.5" to 6.3" is a little ridiculous.

But people have been buying phones larger than 4" for quite some time... there might be something to them...
post #6 of 78
A SMALLER feature-reduced iPhone would be awesome.
Would bridge between iPod and iPhone.
Could even be strapped to wrist.
Why not?
post #7 of 78

"Are we now at a point to serve enough people that we need to do that?" - Apple CEO Tim Cook

I think he gave the answer. If LCD yields problem is broken and I believe it is, then we can expect between 4.6and 5" iPhone in this year. Tim knows very well there is an incredible demand for such size as it was and is for 7" tablets. However, until they managed to make 7" tablet with not just right experience for user, but also without fragmenting the ecosystem, they just haven't released it. iPad mini immediately took over in sales over classic iPad, although it has weaker screen as big Retina. It is simple: customers want that format and Apple made the best device. I bet even one year after its initial release competitor will not have even remotely as good device as iPad mini. Buying 7" tablet that is not iPad mini is case for psychiatry. It will be same when iPhone Maxi comes out.

post #8 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

Why not?

Because Apple only allows development of the new AR, with 1136*640 pixels; the old AR with 960*640 has been retired. Eventhough I want the old 3.5" screen back, Apple is not allowing that anymore. Can't find the article, but it was posted here.
post #9 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

But people have been buying phones larger than 4" for quite some time... there might be something to them...

Agree. Just to add: Phablet could be done easily already, if Apple would wanted to.

post #10 of 78
Quote:

Why not?

There is no market for that. Apple doesn't build products to ping the market as Samsung does.

post #11 of 78
Quote:

Why not?

Because.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #12 of 78

If Apple introduced multiple phones, would it risk losing the #1 single model claim?

post #13 of 78
Quote:

Don't most feature phones (whatever that means these days) still handle email? That seems like an odd feature to cut out.

post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

If Apple introduced multiple phones, would it risk losing the #1 single model claim?

No. Apple would just occupy 2d and 3rd place as well.

post #15 of 78
Quote:

I'm sorry, but that's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Just.. No. Apples platform (iOS) has gotten more important than the hardware. Your proposal goes against absolutely everything Apple is about and would be nothing but a cheap, desperate madketshare grab that would pollute the very reason Apple got into the phone business in the first place. A wireless mobile product with no access to iOS or Apples services? No.
post #16 of 78

I like it. He seems confident.

post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Don't most feature phones (whatever that means these days) still handle email? That seems like an odd feature to cut out.

Feature phones can do apps, email and web, they have for a decade now. Maybe not that well, but the distinction between a smart phone and feature phone just by what it can do is pretty fuzzy.
post #18 of 78
I would love too see if apple can do something about Hulu I am us military stationed overseas and can not view it. It's hard to watch you favorite shows here overseas in South Korea
post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm sorry, but that's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Just.. No. Apples platform (iOS) has gotten more important than the hardware. Your proposal goes against absolutely everything Apple is about and would be nothing but a cheap, desperate madketshare grab that would pollute the very reason Apple got into the phone business in the first place. A wireless mobile product with no access to iOS or Apples services? No.

That isn't probably what he meant. However a device with a limited iOS feature set would be a good idea, we already have that with SIRI etc.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #20 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1971 View Post

I would love too see if apple can do something about Hulu I am us military stationed overseas and can not view it. It's hard to watch you favorite shows here overseas in South Korea

Dude get a VPN
post #21 of 78
Quote:

A typical response from someone who never owned anything over 4.5"  Well, times changed nowadays. Small is not cool anymore. Size matters. No wonder Apple is losing its ground in China and Asia in general. And Cook, as always, is clueless about products when he claims:  "Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life."

Right... when a person interacts with their phone, which nowadays usually means browsing, email, texting, and games, it is "proper color" and "white balance" that's on their minds. Laughable! Imagine Steve Jobs utter such nonsense. Never! What a customer actually feels is this: "This screen is too shitty tiny for most stuff I'm actually doing on my phone" 

How many hundreds of  billions of AAPL value (so far $200 billion) gonna be lost before shareholders realize the damage Cook has inflicted on this used-to-be shiniest star of American technology. 

post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

It's because of supply, not demand. There are no top-of-the-line android handsets under 4".

post #23 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That isn't probably what he meant. However a device with a limited iOS feature set would be a good idea, we already have that with SIRI etc.
If anything, charlituna is describing or alluding to a completely different device to do "telephony" kinds of things IMO.

I think it's technically feasible... and what Apple is working on... rather than enlarging the iPhone, miniaturizing the components, as in a wearable device (watch?) and a BT earbud/microphone combination, that would also pair with a larger device such as an iPad of any size.

Simple "semi-smart" phones can be had for as little as $20 these days. Why would Apple ever go "there"?

Actually... no one has said it yet... but I think the "super smart phone" market has peaked. There's just not a whole lot more that it can do elegantly and efficiently as a singular device with built in capabilities, and the Galaxy S4 proves that point to an extent.

It comes down to software and the App ecosystem... and iOS is leading the way, and will become even stronger after the WWDC. For Apple to build a crippled "iPhone-kind-of-device" would be just plain dumb. Creating a mobile telephony enabling device... that could "have legs"....1cool.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #24 of 78

I posted this link already but felt that it needs to posted here as well. The truth about how Apple reports its sales numbers. Apple is no different than Samsung, HTC, Nokia Motorola or any other company when it is reporting its sales numbers for the quarter.

Time after time I read in these forums Apple fans stating that Apples sales numbers are the number of phones that has reached the end customers hands, i.e. in their purse, pocket or brief case. That is simply FALSE!

Apple just like all the other companies has channel inventory and yes even Apple reports their channel inventory as sold and includes those numbers in their quarterly reports for number of units sold even though many units have not been sold to the end user yet. They have only been shipped to someone like  BestBuy, Walmart, AT&T, Verizon ect.

This is no different than Samsung or any other company. So I think we can now lay the myth to rest that Apples quarterly reported numbers are sales to people on the street. An example is Apple reports 37 million phones sold, but there are still 11 million phones sitting in inventory at said stores listed above still unsold to an end user yet Apple has reported them sold on their quarterly report.

This is being posted simply for the sole purpose to set the record straight about how Apple reports its sold number and it is no different than any other company.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rG3F6eFX_AsJ:money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/articles/2013_05_09_what_apple_really_means_when_it_says_it_has_sold_a_product.html+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Edited by Victory2013 - 5/29/13 at 4:16am
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

A typical response from someone who never owned anything over 4.5"  Well, times changed nowadays. Small is not cool anymore. Size matters. No wonder Apple is losing its ground in China and Asia in general. And Cook, as always, is clueless about products when he claims: 
 "Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life."

Right... when a person interacts with their phone, which nowadays usually means browsing, email, texting, and games, it is "proper color" and "white balance" that's on their minds. 
Laughable! Imagine Steve Jobs utter such nonsense. Never! What a customer actually feels is this: "This screen is too shitty tiny for most stuff I'm actually doing on my phone" 

How many hundreds of  billions of AAPL value (so far $200 billion) gonna be lost before shareholders realize the damage Cook has inflicted on this used-to-be shiniest star of American technology. 

Both of your posts are disgusting! Although I must agree with @enature that TC's comments about "white balance" were seriously cringe-worthy.

He needed only to say that Apple wants to continue to only offer products where the viewing experience is top-notch, while making the entire user experience considering speed, software and battery life.... also, the bar for which all other devices are (should be) judged.

Size alone is just stupid, and not worth the investment.... and yes... Apple could have different sizes if they wanted to long time ago. Instead they have the iPad series, the leader in it's class for anything larger than an iPhone.

Regardless... IF Apple decides to create a larger iPhone, I actually think it will be marketed as a "smaller" iPad, with tethering to a far smaller mobile chip enclosure of some kind. (See above post).
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory2013 View Post

I posted this link already but fell that it needs to posted here as well. The truth about how Apple reports its sales numbers. Apple is no different than Samsung, HTC, Nokia Motorola or any other company when it is reporting its sales numbers for the quarter.

Time after time I read in these forums Apple fans stating that apples sales numbers are the number of phones that has reached the end customers hands, i.e. in their purse, pocket or brief case. That is simply FALSE!

Apple just like all the other companies has channel inventory and yes even Apple reports their channel inventory as sold and includes those number in their quarterly reports for number of units sold even though many units have not been sold to the end user yet. They have only been shipped to someone like  BestBuy, Walmart, AT&T, Verizon ect.

This is no different than Samsung or any other company. So I think we can not lay the myth to rest that Apples quarterly reported numbers are sales to people on the street. An example is Apple reports 37 million phones sold, but there are still 11 million phones sitting in inventory at said stores listed above still unsold to an end user yet Apple has reported them sold on their quarterly report.

This is being posted simply for the sole purpose to set the record straight about how Apple reports its sold number and it is no different than any other company.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rG3F6eFX_AsJ:money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/articles/2013_05_09_what_apple_really_means_when_it_says_it_has_sold_a_product.html+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

AFAIK, they are sold though, with now refunds, buy backs, or even discounting allowed by the providers or stores that are allowed to sell the iPhone.

Apple is facing an EU inquiry into this very tough and unwieldy contract for this very reason.

So... reporting as sold is correct. Reporting of activations and current active Apple ID accounts would give a better picture though.... agreed.
post #27 of 78

Removed from re-reading that the talk, in this seeming context, was about phablet phones only.

Edited by joshuarayer - 5/29/13 at 4:46am
post #28 of 78
Quote:

I posted this link already but felt that it needs to posted here as well. The truth about how Apple reports its sales numbers. Apple is no different than Samsung, HTC, Nokia Motorola or any other company when it is reporting its sales numbers for the quarter.

Time after time I read in these forums Apple fans stating that Apples sales numbers are the number of phones that has reached the end customers hands, i.e. in their purse, pocket or brief case. That is simply FALSE!

Apple just like all the other companies has channel inventory and yes even Apple reports their channel inventory as sold and includes those numbers in their quarterly reports for number of units sold even though many units have not been sold to the end user yet. They have only been shipped to someone like  BestBuy, Walmart, AT&T, Verizon ect.

This is no different than Samsung or any other company. So I think we can now lay the myth to rest that Apples quarterly reported numbers are sales to people on the street. An example is Apple reports 37 million phones sold, but there are still 11 million phones sitting in inventory at said stores listed above still unsold to an end user yet Apple has reported them sold on their quarterly report.

I've made that point in all threads where it comes up. Although 11M seems like a lot in channel, they try and estimate it to a number of "weeks inventory". Which means that sales to channel can drop off significantly when there is a slowdown from Q-Q, as we'll see next Q.

post #29 of 78

Obviously Cook couldn't answer that question with any real information, as that would be giving strategy away. Since he did say "they might" we can take it that they will. 

post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

It's because of supply, not demand. There are no top-of-the-line android handsets under 4".

People are buying larger phones because they are in the store? No, they are in the store because people want larger screens and that is exactly the reason you do not see top-of-the-line android handsets under 4" in the stores. People will pay top $ for larger screen. And that is demand and supply. People demand, companies supply. Not the other way around.

post #31 of 78
Quote:

If it had a data connection that an iPad could to tether to, I could go for that.  I use my iPad for internet and apps much more than I do my iPhone, to the point where the iPhone offers little value to me beyond a large (yes, I'm complaining it's too big!) feature phone and a Mi-Fi (in a much nicer package, obv).

Niche appeal though.  If another manufacturer could give me a slick feature phone that could tether I'd probably jump.  iPad will be prised from my cold dead hands, however :)

censored

censored

post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

People are buying larger phones because they are in the store? No, they are in the store because people want larger screens and that is exactly the reason you do not see top-of-the-line android handsets under 4" in the stores. People will pay top $ for larger screen. And that is demand and supply. People demand, companies supply. Not the other way around.

Oh, the naiveté of those who think the world works like Econ 101.

post #33 of 78
Quote:

For you, sure.

Me too, but then in addition to an iPhone 5 I also have a MBP and an iPad, and so can choose the tool for the job. There's clearly a significant market for 4" and bigger format phones that Apple has so far decided not to serve. That may or may not change. I can certainly imagine that, for people whose only internet connected device is a phone, a larger device would be attractive.

Neil

post #34 of 78
Michael Scrip View Post

People buy comically oversized pickup trucks for quite some time. There's nothing to explain that except the macho American-style bigger-is-better mentality.

enature View Post
scotty321 View Post

A typical response from someone who never owned anything over 4.5"  Well, times changed nowadays. Small is not cool anymore. Size matters. No wonder Apple is losing its ground in China and Asia in general. And Cook, as always, is clueless about products when he claims:  "Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life."

Right... when a person interacts with their phone, which nowadays usually means browsing, email, texting, and games, it is "proper color" and "white balance" that's on their minds. Laughable! Imagine Steve Jobs utter such nonsense. Never! What a customer actually feels is this: "This screen is too shitty tiny for most stuff I'm actually doing on my phone" 

This might sound amazing, but there is more than one kind of customer. That's why demographic studies are so important.

Take JCPenney: Ron Johnson wanted to target a higher quality customer, but the brand was so far gone by then, the company brought back their old CEO to win back their core demographic of bottom-feeding bulk clearance hunters. Demographics are why we laugh when Walmart adds upscale merchandise to their stores, because they are the chain of lowest common denominators.

Apple is targeting the kind of customer that does care about quality over quantity. It's that simple.

andrzejls View Post
OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

You give customers too much credit. The majority are driven by my aforementioned 'keeping up with the Joneses' mentality, and being steered more by marketing than their individual needs. It's also a conundrum: most companies ask customers what they want, and then make it for them, without researching if it's the best idea. Going back to the old Henry Ford quote: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

In short, they dont want to use OLED.   imo IGZO would solved his concerns. I have the feeling they will make a big thing out of it when they release the retina ipad mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Preceding the lengthy answer, Cook was quick to point out that Apple may one day release a second model alongside a future flagship iPhone, perhaps with a different feature set and price point.

"Well we haven't so far," he said. "That doesn't shut off the future."

They need something they can sell unlock, something very cheap sold only in emeging market and something around $300 for internationnal markets.

post #36 of 78
Quote:

I lot of people dont want to carry 2 devices. The fact that you dont like them doesnt mean that nobody does.

post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

In this case you are completely wrong. Early LTE phones required such a huge battery that the screen size had to increase. There was no pent up demand for larger phones. People did want LTE speeds though
post #38 of 78
A smaller less featured phone? Nah... I think that's the opposite of the market direction. The market wants more. It wants as much crammed into a phone as possible. If anything, Apple should release a bigger iPhone for those of us that need reading glasses and the current model is hard to read, at times. Keep the aspect ratio the same, and just use bigger pixels. I'd be all over that. And, I'm sorry, but I love my iPhone's glass and aluminum. Plastic phones feel cheap and that's not what I expect from Apple. Carbon fiber, maybe, but plastic, never...
post #39 of 78
Quote:

Then it wouldn't be an iPhone. People don't buy Apple products because of the logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

No. Apple would just occupy 2d and 3rd place as well.

Apple already occupies #2. It'll push Sammy out of #3/4.

Quote:

Wrong because only Apple release numbers.
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

Indeed. I do think a FEW people will bother about color accuracy on a PHONE, but size and maybe reflectivity are way more important specs for the average customer. I really dont like that comment too, it shows a total lack of vision. I take this as a attempt to noted OLED sucks. I think they will do it when then can do a thin, retina one without using OLED.

IF you put a iphone 5 side by side with a OLED screen phone (Galaxy S3, Nexus 4, ...) you will immediatly notice how great the colors are on the iphone. This is what he means. imo they will use LCD/IGZO/IPS screens in future product. We will see.

Edited by herbapou - 5/29/13 at 6:28am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Cook explains 'one-a-year' iPhone strategy, hints at future models at variable price points