or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Cook explains 'one-a-year' iPhone strategy, hints at future models at variable price points
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Cook explains 'one-a-year' iPhone strategy, hints at future models at variable price points - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Wrong because only Apple release numbers.

 

Really? Would that not be the same type of number that Samsung and the rest release?

 

If Apple has inventory sitting on shelves just like everyone else how does that make their reporting numbers any different? They are all reporting units shipped including apple. All of them have sold them to someone be it an end user or a reseller including apple.

 

The myth has been busted.

post #42 of 78
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
I lot of people dont want to carry 2 devices.

 

A lot of people don't have a clue that a 5" phone wouldn't allow them to "not carry two devices".


Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post
No, they are in the store because people want larger screens…

 

Totally wrong.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory2013 View Post

Really? Would that not be the same type of number that Samsung and the rest release?

If Apple has inventory sitting on shelves just like everyone else how does that make their reporting numbers any different? They are all reporting units shipped including apple. All of them have sold them to someone be it an end user or a reseller including apple.

The myth has been busted.

Hogwash. No ther company release numbers (shipment or otherwise). Sammy gives us percentage change range from last year's percentage change range. Amazon provides "millions and millions". Apple provides total shipments plus a snapshot of inventory (weeks or estimated numbers).
post #44 of 78
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Hogwash. No ther company release numbers (shipment or otherwise). Sammy gives us percentage change range from last year's percentage change range. Amazon provides "millions and millions". Apple provides total shipments plus a snapshot of inventory (weeks or estimated numbers).

 

Does inventory turnover extend through to point of sale, even at third parties, or does it just go as far as the stores (whichever they happen to be) that sell the product?

Tim Cook has said Apple has a one week turnover for its entire inventory, at any rate.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

A lot of people don't have a clue that a 5" phone wouldn't allow them to "not carry two devices".

 

 

imo a good phablet size is something more around 5.5" or 6".  5" may be to small for a tablet and too big for a phone. imo 16x9 ratio 7" is too big.  On the other hand my collegue have no problem carrying is 4:3 ratio 8" ipad mini in his pockets. But then again he his build like a football player. Point is choice is what we need. One size fits all is just plain stupid.

 

On the phone side, a true 16:9 ratio 5" phone would still be narrow enough to fit in any man pockets. But at that side it stops being "the best" phone out there. Problem is nobody wants a phone anymore, they want something to play with apps and browse the net.

 

If Apple could make an ipad mini that makes calls I would buy that. It  would be a bit too big for my taste, but it would be much better than an iphone 5 for me.


Edited by herbapou - 5/29/13 at 6:55am
post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does inventory turnover extend through to point of sale, even at third parties, or does it just go as far as the stores (whichever they happen to be) that sell the product?


Tim Cook has said Apple has a one week turnover for its entire inventory, at any rate.

I think gatorguy or someone emailed Apple and it said the company gets regular reports from resellers. I'm assuming the inventory is what resellers haven't sold yet.
post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory2013 View Post

 

The myth has been busted.

Yeah. It's busted because of one link on the web. There's thousand links that claimed Elvis still alive. :roll eyes:

post #48 of 78

I was just in HK and all I can say things have changed, a few years ago you saw iPhone's all over the place, they were big enablers for the users there... then the large screen smartphones started to hit the market and they were a huge hit...  apple has yet to pull it's finger out and respond... and people/users here from the US say thats ok... who needs a larger screen... what do samsung know... stick to apple...

 

Well all I can say the phone market does not revolve around the US or US telco firms anymore... you guys have to get a grip... Asia will take over the demands for phone design and the western phone makers like apple will have to respond weather they like it or not...

 

You can see Asians like bigger screens because the one smartphone device becomes their TV, Computer, SMS, Chat, Phone everything they can use it for, in their tiny flats, cramped public transport situations, getting to and from work, crowded shopping areas etc. Also Chinese characters seem to be better on big screens, many Chinese like bigger screens to text on and find the iphones to cramped.

 

So all I can say is having seen first hand the huge Samsung Phones all over the place in HK, huge marketing campain's for the new S4, samsung is totally in first place on the ground with the users,  with HTC in there with iPhone behind it seems, apple has a little catching up, and US apple users have to take a more worldly view at what smartphone users want, because like it or not you guys are on the way out demanding what the world needs or wants anymore design wise if you know what I am getting at...

 

Western Phone design and Character Layouts I reckon will soon be dictated by Asian needs and the space their language character require which maybe bigger phones, more "life" solution convergences etc...

So all I can say to US apple fanboys are your going to have to move over, because the asian realm is about to dictate what you get weather you like it or not... and apple will soon change because they will not be able to deny the massive Chinese market for long, otherwise they will be hugely far behind the rest of the asian competition... they do not have long...  and I reckon tim cook knows it...

post #49 of 78
Originally Posted by apple888 View Post
I was just in HK and all I can say things have changed, a few years ago you saw iPhone's all over the place, they were big enablers for the users there... then the large screen smartphones started to hit the market and they were a huge hit...  apple has yet to pull it's finger out and respond... and people/users here from the US say thats ok... who needs a larger screen... what do samsung know... stick to apple...

 

Again, we believe you as much as the other guy who claims his anecdotal evidence is proof of anything.

 

Meaning not at all.


Western Phone design and Character Layouts I reckon will soon be dictated by Asian needs and the space their language character require which maybe bigger phones, more "life" solution convergences etc...

 

HA! Not in the slightest.


So all I can say to US apple fanboys are your going to have to move over, because the asian realm is about to dictate what you get weather you like it or not...

 

Okay, first, its whether. Second, this is just stupid. You can't believe this.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #50 of 78
An iPhone with less functionality, no iTunes and no apps? There would be no profit in that and no way to monetise the user down the line. I can't see why Apple would do that.
post #51 of 78
Just have someone in the states purchase a Sligbox, hook it to cable or dish receiver. Purchase Slingbox app.

Works great on iPhone and iPad all over the world. Recorded shows and live shows. Just need food wifi.
post #52 of 78
Just have someone in the states purchase a Slingbox, hook it to cable or dish receiver. Purchase Slingbox app.

Works great on iPhone and iPad all over the world. Recorded shows and live shows. Just need food wifi.
post #53 of 78
To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

Tim Cook is so full of shit he doesn't even know it!
post #54 of 78
i'm all for a simplified iPhone for my kids:
2 - 3" screen - easy access to favorites: call mom, call dad, call 911, broadcast location. maybe a few simple/educational apps, shared data plan w/ mom & dad's iPhones.
free on contract.
post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

Tim Cook is so full of shit he doesn't even know it!

More out of touch than full of shit I reckon. But what he said here was rather ridiculous. Steve Jobs was quoted in his biography as saying that Tim Cook isn't a product guy...might explain some things then.


Edited by 1983 - 5/29/13 at 9:43am
post #56 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

Tim Cook is so full of shit he doesn't even know it!

No, it's you and 1983 who don't know what he's talking about. Apple designs and builds their products for the kind of people who DO pay attention to such things as white balance and color accuracy. They won't make a phone with an OLED screen because it would disgust those users, and them, Apple, to make such a phone. Samsung has no problem with doing it. Apple could never. That's a big difference.

Apple could do a larger-screened phone, but it would have to be LCD at some retina-like density. Not cost-effective, that is competitive, at this time, at this level of the technology. Those are the facts. People who want a larger screen will have to look elsewhere.

Until something like IGZO or a battery breakthrough is ready for mass-market, that is. Then you'll see some movement from Apple on screen size. So who is really full of shit here?

Go ahead and tell us how great HTC is doing with their One now.

By the way, this shows just how much of a product guy Tim Cook really is. He won't bend on display quality.
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Again, we believe you as much as the other guy who claims his anecdotal evidence is proof of anything.

 

 

Regarding seeing a lot more big screen Android phones out there:  its more than anecdotal evidence.  I see a lot of those phones now, more than iphones actually.

post #58 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Regarding seeing a lot more big screen Android phones out there:  its more than anecdotal evidence.  I see a lot of those phones now, more than iphones actually.

I don't.

But I just mostly see people in suburban and hipster neighborhoods in L.A. Certified anecdotal evidence.
post #59 of 78
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
…its more than anecdotal evidence.  I see…

 

LIKE. EFFING. CLOCKWORK. 1oyvey.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

Tim Cook is so full of shit he doesn't even know it!

There are design choices, some more important than others. It depends on the customer. But if sales/shipments are any indication, Apple is doing fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Regarding seeing a lot more big screen Android phones out there:  its more than anecdotal evidence.  I see a lot of those phones now, more than iphones actually.

I also see lots of dog sh1t at the park. That doesn't mean people like dog sh1t.
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

A lot of people don't have a clue that a 5" phone wouldn't allow them to "not carry two devices".

 

 

Totally wrong.

 

Why are they buying then phones with larger displays? Between 4" and 5"? I'm excluding tablets, of course. I think I know why they are buying them, but this is a case of medical professionals which I am not.

post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory2013 View Post

Really? Would that not be the same type of number that Samsung and the rest release?

If Apple has inventory sitting on shelves just like everyone else how does that make their reporting numbers any different? They are all reporting units shipped including apple. All of them have sold them to someone be it an end user or a reseller including apple.

The myth has been busted.

Samsung et. al. do not post numbers, they post revenue that includes many product categories.

Analysts GUESS what the numbers are, and don't guess what the channel inventory is.

Apple actually posts its REAL numbers, and breaks out its channel inventory.

See the difference?

There's also the fact that when Apple releases a product, it's a scarce commodity for quite sometime.

Maybe it's your argument (which is not relevant at all to this thread; strikes me more as a shill post) that's "busted".

Go away.
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Why are they buying then phones with larger displays? Between 4" and 5"? I'm excluding tablets, of course. I think I know why they are buying them, but this is a case of medical professionals which I am not.

Maybe they feel inadequate.
post #64 of 78
What Apple could do with both its laptops and iDevices is offer an EL (for Extended Life) model that's a bit thicker but doubles the battery life. The design requirements for that would be trivial.
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

What Apple could do with both its laptops and iDevices is offer an EL (for Extended Life) model that's a bit thicker but doubles the battery life. The design requirements for that would be trivial.

We forget that Apple is a small, tight company that designs and sells a lot of a limited number of things. They can't spread their focus over more devices, like Tim said, without really compelling reasons, like their normally really great other products. What you describe wouldn't make the cut.

Maybe after they get the new HQ going and staffed with new brilliant people (not that easy to find), things will change, They're still working out of temporary quarters.
post #66 of 78
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
What Apple could do with both its laptops and iDevices is offer an EL (for Extended Life) model that's a bit thicker but doubles the battery life. The design requirements for that would be trivial.

 

Could, but shouldn't.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #67 of 78
1983 View Post
MJ Web View Post
To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

Tim Cook is so full of shit he doesn't even know it!

More out of touch than full of shit I reckon. But what he said here was rather ridiculous. Steve Jobs was quoted in his biography as saying that Tim Cook isn't a product guy...might explain some things then.

So a bigger screen, regardless of quality, is the only metric for a smartphone's desirability. Got it.

Even if it's a washed out contrast with yellow cast that only lasts two hours. Still bigger.

 

Inkling View Post
What Apple could do with both its laptops and iDevices is offer an EL (for Extended Life) model that's a bit thicker but doubles the battery life. The design requirements for that would be trivial.

Yes, getting a Mophie case is trivial.

As for laptops, Haswell should do the trick.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

What Apple could do with both its laptops and iDevices is offer an EL (for Extended Life) model that's a bit thicker but doubles the battery life. The design requirements for that would be trivial.

More SKUs is not a good thing.

From a consumer standpoint, a company offering a myriad of choices is a good thing. But that doesn't translate to business success.

Rarely in business can you succeed by trying to be all things to all people. Apple has proved that focusing on a few truly good ideas and ignoring others works well. No doubt Apple either is or will be the primary case study for those studying business, just like Toyota's JIT model is for operations studies.
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

So a bigger screen, regardless of quality, is the only metric for a smartphone's desirability. Got it.
Even if it's a washed out contrast with yellow cast that only lasts two hours. Still bigger.

Yes, getting a Mophie case is trivial.
As for laptops, Haswell should do the trick.

Maybe we need a "MPG" equivalent for smartphones, since battery life can be artificially kept high due to larger batteries.

Then maybe these inefficient phablets can do the way of the Hummer H2.
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Feature phones can do apps, email and web, they have for a decade now. Maybe not that well, but the distinction between a smart phone and feature phone just by what it can do is pretty fuzzy.

A smart phone can do everything easily, while a feature phone has a really dumb UI and if you press enough keys in the right order you can do some of the things a smart phone can do too.

post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsisgod View Post

Why do people keep trying to get Apple to improve on perfection?

 

They're the most profitable business in the world for a reason.  Trust them that they know what they're doing.

To many people Apple is just like God; they don't trust either one to do what they want without leaning over their shoulder, trying to help.

post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Yeah. It's busted because of one link on the web. There's thousand links that claimed Elvis still alive. :roll eyes:

 

But...but...but...Elvis IS alive... isn't he??? I mean, who else could the fat guy in Denny's at 2 a.m. be, but The King!!!

post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by enature View Post

Right... when a person interacts with their phone, which nowadays usually means browsing, email, texting, and games, it is "proper color" and "white balance" that's on their minds. Laughable! Imagine Steve Jobs utter such nonsense. Never! What a customer actually feels is this: "This screen is too shitty tiny for most stuff I'm actually doing on my phone" 

 

I wouldn't say that it's complete nonsense, and I think Jobs would notice that it isn't. The iPhone's maximum brightness is far higher than most phones with larger screens, and that does make a difference when you're trying to use your phone outdoors. 

 

(That said, I have a Galaxy Nexus, because I prefer the larger screen to the occasional problems using it in bright light.)

 

As for white balance and color depth and all that, though, I'm inclined to agree. When I do browse my phone photos, I do it on my desktop monitor, not on the phone itself.

post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

... From a consumer standpoint, a company offering a myriad of choices is a good thing. ....

Not really. Too much choice can be a bad thing for consumers. Part of the reason Apple has such high customer satisfaction is almost certainly the limited choices the consumer has to make when buying Apple products.
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Maybe they feel inadequate.

 

Maybe. But I would rather say they feel 4" is inadequate. I see far to many people with S3 and S4 to say there are just few of them feeling inadequate, although most of them with broken glass, showing poor quality of the product. Seems to me Apple will slaughter this segment when it comes out with larger iPhone.

post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not really. Too much choice can be a bad thing for consumers. Part of the reason Apple has such high customer satisfaction is almost certainly the limited choices the consumer has to make when buying Apple products.

Fair enough.
post #77 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

LIKE. EFFING. CLOCKWORK. 1oyvey.gif

 

Well, if we bring the "non adecnotal" sales numbers or market shares, you will reject them too.  I think some people here are just in pure denial of evidence coming from all fronts. BTW I travel pretty often and work in a environment that is favorable in gaging those kind of "trends".

post #78 of 78

And yet, if each individual just picked whichever phone best fits their personal needs, there wouldn't be any problem here. Who really makes their purchase decision based on market share? Well, plenty of people, unfortunately. Or they pick whatever seems popular within their social circle, building a false consensus about global market share. Either way, it's being uninformed and insecure, needing the implied reassurance of others to help decide.

 

We really can go on all day about which platform gives a richer experience, but everyone is different. Some care about screen size over all other concerns. But looking at the big picture, we're all using devices that are nearly magic.

 

"This feature is more important!"

"No, this one is!"

 

When did people start sucking so bad at separating fact from opinion? Add "to me" at the end of those sentences, and suddenly everything is much more reasonable.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Cook explains 'one-a-year' iPhone strategy, hints at future models at variable price points