or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC 2013

WWDC 2013 - Page 2

post #41 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

Yeah but PCI Display Driver evidence from AMD says you can install a PCI e 3.0 GPU on an unreleased version of a Mac... that being the Mac Pro most likely.

Haswell's have bad graphics but it's normal for mainstream users so you won't even be sold an extremely high end GPU like the N780 or R7970 unless Apple has drivers being built/ already built by AMD or Nvidia.

Just build a PC instead. :)

DDR 4 RAM is coming this fall so I would wait though till Christmas.

Other than that... why do you need Xeon Processors...?

You have higher performance and higher bandwidth options available there. I'm not sure I personally need them anymore, but those are the things offered by such a solution. I'm not convinced Apple is really going to expand upon that $1000-2000 range beyond what they have, and an "xmac" type solution with a $2500 starting point is kind of ridiculous. Wizard wants to see one in addition to the current lineup. I don't personally think they would morph the mac pro into one. I'm not debating whether it would sell.

I just can't see them really building out what has become their slower growth area. The presence of rmbp + cmbp seems more transitional to me. They may just be seeing how many people buy the old ones due to the specific limitations of the newer ones. The issue of maintaining price points is more likely. They have certain goals in terms of margins and sales volume, and whatever nonsense people on here say at times, demand is not entirely elastic. It's not just whether people buy macs or PCs. It's also how often they choose to buy new ones.

Edited by hmm - 5/30/13 at 11:48pm
post #42 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event the Intel reveal is literally days away.

Is that the Romley platform, E5-2600? Intel link; warning; it uses Flash!
Quote:

I don't think ML changed maximum RAM the system can use.

True, if you install 128GB OSX still maxes out @ 96GB, but if you boot into Windows it sees all 128GB.
post #43 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

The PowerPC era towers never supported ECC.

The Late 2005 model started to support ECC.
Quote:
There are currently no 16GB sodimms.

Well, there is of course SDRAM DIMM 16GB sticks from OWC
post #44 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

This doesn't contradict my words. I said sodimms. The imac, which I referred to with the 32GB limit, uses sodimms.

post #45 of 132
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

This doesn't contradict my words. I said sodimms. The imac, which I referred to with the 32GB limit, uses sodimms.

Ah, iMac. Gotcha. Since I've never had one it's not on my radar. My bad. Carry on.
post #46 of 132
Anybody out there feeling the frustration from the LACK OF LEAKS?

Nope. In fact, I'm really happy that the idiots got a slap in the face now that Tim Cook really has doubled down.

Granted, I do expect we'll see something in the last few days before. They can't stop everything; particularly when the prototypes and test models actually have to move around out of storage or Apple's care.

That slide to unlock is horrible, but I could really, really do with removing the last vestiges of glossiness from the UI, given that all devices have had their own physical glossiness for years. I imagine that even though it'll go matte that the lock screen would still have translucent elements. It'd be like looking through smoked glass to your wallpaper, which would be pretty.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #47 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Time did say a MacPro was coming later in 2013.  If it is a big revamp, what a better place to intro it than in front of all the developers (who actually would know what it was he was presenting) as opposed to media types who have no clue and just want to see popular things?

I think he'll intro it, with the new chips, and say it will be available in August/September and that the chips will also be making their way into other machines.

If it is going to be built in Texas, it will definitely not be shipping in June.  Unless they've done a damn good job setting up a factory and hiring a significant workforce in secret.

post #48 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. In fact, I'm really happy that the idiots got a slap in the face now that Tim Cook really has doubled down.

Granted, I do expect we'll see something in the last few days before. They can't stop everything; particularly when the prototypes and test models actually have to move around out of storage or Apple's care.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/31/possible-front-panel-for-ipad-5-shows-up-bearing-mini-inspired-aesthetic

I still would like to see an elevator pic or two.  They were so convincing...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #49 of 132

post #50 of 132
Quote:

I mean really two weeks to go - we should be getting something juicy.

No actually. I would be annoyed if there was little information about Haswell though all the information that is available is pretty much out there. The only question in my mind is whether the Intel HD 5200 will be available to the rMBP 13" and Mac mini either standard or BTO. I am hoping the answer is yes.
post #51 of 132
Quote:

They've had at least two major leaks in the last month:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/08/heavy-rains-in-manhattan-breach-apples-flagship-fifth-ave-store
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/24/rains-once-more-cause-damage-at-apples-fifth-avenue-ny-store

Seriously though, it seems that Haswell is sort of out already although availability is from June 4th:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/processors/382204/intel-haswell
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/01/intel-haswell-launch/

The GPU performance test at the first site is interesting because the i7-4770k only has a GT2 GPU in it but still way faster than Ivy Bridge. Anandtech has a review of Iris Pro in the mobile quad-core CPUs here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/6

It's not quite 650M performance in a lot of the game tests but it scored much higher in OpenCL tests and more than double Ivy Bridge. Some games use proprietary anti-aliasing like FXAA and if other anti-aliasing is used, it will be slower.

This is of course comparing to last year's 640M/650M. This year's NVidia/AMD GPUs will be 30%+ faster again. It's still good that it can handle a lot of those games on high quality though. Metro Last Light is quite an intensive game - 650M gets 41fps, Iris Pro gets 39fps. That's impressive for a 55W chip.
post #52 of 132
Quote:

I mean really two weeks to go - we should be getting something juicy.

I'm satisfied with the new lack of leaks. It means Samsung has less to copy from.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #53 of 132
Quote:

You have higher performance and higher bandwidth options available there. I'm not sure I personally need them anymore, but those are the things offered by such a solution. I'm not convinced Apple is really going to expand upon that $1000-2000 range beyond what they have, and an "xmac" type solution with a $2500 starting point is kind of ridiculous.
It is ridiculous because I said I wanted a starting price for the base model below $1500.
Quote:
Wizard wants to see one in addition to the current lineup. I don't personally think they would morph the mac pro into one. I'm not debating whether it would sell.
Well it better morph at least a little bit.
Quote:
I just can't see them really building out what has become their slower growth area. The presence of rmbp + cmbp seems more transitional to me. They may just be seeing how many people buy the old ones due to the specific limitations of the newer ones.
Actually what Apple does in the coming weeks will be very interesting. I suspect that the retina machines aren't sell as well as Apple hoped for.
Quote:
The issue of maintaining price points is more likely. They have certain goals in terms of margins and sales volume, and whatever nonsense people on here say at times, demand is not entirely elastic. It's not just whether people buy macs or PCs. It's also how often they choose to buy new ones.

There is no growth in frequent buyers. Any company relying on frequent buyers is open to a sudden loss of buyers either from new products or users simply extending buying schedules. Apple needs machines that expand growth in sales.
post #54 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

No actually. I would be annoyed if there was little information about Haswell though all the information that is available is pretty much out there. The only question in my mind is whether the Intel HD 5200 will be available to the rMBP 13" and Mac mini either standard or BTO. I am hoping the answer is yes.

Many of the Haswell processors will not be released until later in the year. Frankly I'm not certain that Intel will have the broad line up of chips to give us the updates we are hoping for. This will be a more interesting discussion next week after Intels Haswell launch.
post #55 of 132
Quote:

Many of the Haswell processors will not be released until later in the year. Frankly I'm not certain that Intel will have the broad line up of chips to give us the updates we are hoping for. This will be a more interesting discussion next week after Intels Haswell launch.

Should be right in time for the 13" MBP, rMBP, and Mac mini.
post #56 of 132
Quote:

It is ridiculous because I said I wanted a starting price for the base model below $1500.

I know. I said I was skeptical there in that I'm not sure Apple will expand on the $1000-2000 range. I didn't say they would make a $2500 xmac. That would be ridiculous. I've also stated a couple times that buyers who are looking for the elusive xmac are more likely used mac pro buyers than new ones, meaning they do not currently contribute to sales.

Quote:
Well it better morph at least a little bit.

I didn't say a design change was implausible. Considering how long it has languished, they would probably want to look like they spent some time on whatever is released. Last year was more of a rehashing than a genuine release. Almost every one of those options already existed prior to that point. The matrix of price points and specs was reshuffled slightly and they dropped the 8 core in favor of a low end 12 core. The 8 core was in a bad spot, as the 6 core could outperform it in too many scenarios. With that below it in price, they had to do something with the entry dual model.

The current case was kind of designed for a different era. GPUs didn't reach the wattage of some they use today. The G5 only had to accommodate 2 3.5" drives. If they were refactoring around 2.5" drives and GPGPU requirements that could produce a more forward thinking machine. I'm not sure how small they can go with the use of 130W cpus and 200W gpus. I suspect the optical drives will go. Some people might use them, and I'm not getting into that argument. I would say that the changes to the other machines suggest they are no longer a priority for Apple.

Quote:
Actually what Apple does in the coming weeks will be very interesting. I suspect that the retina machines aren't sell as well as Apple hoped for.

I actually didn't totally expect a redesign last year. I figured with intel's talked up power management features haswell and on, the redesign would come then. It seemed like they really pushed to get it out last year, and I suspect part of that was the inclusion of Ivy bridge hardware and kepler didn't provide enough to push upgrades or new sales.

Quote:

There is no growth in frequent buyers. Any company relying on frequent buyers is open to a sudden loss of buyers either from new products or users simply extending buying schedules. Apple needs machines that expand growth in sales.

I have highlighted on that in the past. If everything else is growing and one line is flat, that puts it in a bad spot. The workstation market is smaller overall, but much of it is a matter of what portion of that market goes to Apple. It will probably never be their most important product line, but I do not think they would produce something without a strategy in mind.

post #57 of 132

Here's a KGI Securities Research Firm leaked Apple Product Road map released on January 15, 2013

Only the Modified iPod Touch has been released so far...

iPad and iPad mini: Kuo forecasts that Apple will update both lines during the third quarter of the year, with the iPad mini gaining a Retina display as the most notable change. He also predicts that the full-size iPad will become considerably slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.

No evidence supports a retina iPad Mini however there could be a bump in specs for the Processor insider the iPad Mini and the iPad 5 will likely have a 16:9 Ratio Display.

MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models. Kuo also believes that Apple will tweak the design of these thinner Retina MacBook Pros, despite having just introduced the current form factor last year. 

Evidence suggests Wifi AC and New Facetime Eyesight camera on rMBP, supposedly Haswell Mobile Processors will be inside them.
Macbook Pro Non-retina display version will be phased out soon. But supposedly this years version will not have a DVD drive making it slimmer and better Microphones for Facetime and Voice Search Features.
MacBook Air: Retina displays remain a challenge for the MacBook Air given their relative thickness, and Kuo predicts that they will not be appearing in the 2013 MacBook Air lineup. Kuo believes that a move to Intel's forthcoming Haswell platform will be the main upgrade for the machines, with the update coming perhaps as soon as late in the second quarter. 

Desktops: Kuo notes that the iMac redesign has been well-received, but it appears that he does not see Retina displays coming to the lineup in 2013. He simply predicts a shift to the Haswell platform for the iMac and Mac mini in the fourth quarter of the year. Kuo's report does not address a new Mac Pro, even though Apple CEO Tim Cook had personally shared that a significant update for the line was due in 2013. 

New Wifi AC Gigabit Chip has been leaked for iMacs/Macbooks.

iPod touch: Apple will reportedly discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch, which is currently being sold alongside the new fifth-generation models. In order to fill the gap, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce a scaled-back fifth-generation model with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera at $199. 

This has already happened. Except it was 16GB and it's priced at 229.

Apple TV: Kuo predicts a minor update to the existing Apple TV product as soon as late this quarter, but he offers no details on what the update would entail. He also notes that Apple's more substantial television effort is unlikely to appear in 2013, with content issues and a lack of experience in the television set industry pushing things back until 2014.

Tim Cook at AllThingsD11 said he was still very interested in this product lineup so there's likely a future to the device and or services. Phil reported back when the rumor mill was reporting this that they needed content providers and cable communication companies for this to happen.

New XBOX ONE supports TV Features.

Aside Kuo's Forecast

There has been reports saying that there are people working at Apple designing a Wearable Device for the wrist and Tim Cook thinks that area is interesting, ripe for exploration, a new playground for companies.

iOS and Mac OS X

iOS will be getting a new look, Mac OS X will be getting Power User Features like putting two apps next to each other.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #58 of 132
Here's a KGI Securities Research Firm leaked Apple Product Road map released on January 15, 2013

1. No, this is not a "leaked" anything. They did this.

2. They made it all up. It is theirs.

3. No Mac Pro on it proves to you that there is ZERO information in the image that is in any way truthful in any capacity.

No need for a treatise on it.

post #59 of 132
KGI seems to be somewhat more accurate than say Digitimes. Either way, as long as we have news about Intel, nVidia, and AMD we pretty much know the blocks Apple will put into place so we are never completely in the dark.
post #60 of 132
Quote:

Only the Modified iPod Touch has been released so far...

iPad and iPad mini: Kuo forecasts that Apple will update both lines during the third quarter of the year, with the iPad mini gaining a Retina display as the most notable change. He also predicts that the full-size iPad will become considerably slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.

No evidence supports a retina iPad Mini however there could be a bump in specs for the Processor insider the iPad Mini and the iPad 5 will likely have a 16:9 Ratio Display.

MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models. Kuo also believes that Apple will tweak the design of these thinner Retina MacBook Pros, despite having just introduced the current form factor last year. 

Evidence suggests Wifi AC and New Facetime Eyesight camera on rMBP, supposedly Haswell Mobile Processors will be inside them.
Macbook Pro Non-retina display version will be phased out soon. But supposedly this years version will not have a DVD drive making it slimmer and better Microphones for Facetime and Voice Search Features.
MacBook Air: Retina displays remain a challenge for the MacBook Air given their relative thickness, and Kuo predicts that they will not be appearing in the 2013 MacBook Air lineup. Kuo believes that a move to Intel's forthcoming Haswell platform will be the main upgrade for the machines, with the update coming perhaps as soon as late in the second quarter. 

Desktops: Kuo notes that the iMac redesign has been well-received, but it appears that he does not see Retina displays coming to the lineup in 2013. He simply predicts a shift to the Haswell platform for the iMac and Mac mini in the fourth quarter of the year. Kuo's report does not address a new Mac Pro, even though Apple CEO Tim Cook had personally shared that a significant update for the line was due in 2013. 

New Wifi AC Gigabit Chip has been leaked for iMacs/Macbooks.

iPod touch: Apple will reportedly discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch, which is currently being sold alongside the new fifth-generation models. In order to fill the gap, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce a scaled-back fifth-generation model with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera at $199. 

This has already happened. Except it was 16GB and it's priced at 229.

Apple TV: Kuo predicts a minor update to the existing Apple TV product as soon as late this quarter, but he offers no details on what the update would entail. He also notes that Apple's more substantial television effort is unlikely to appear in 2013, with content issues and a lack of experience in the television set industry pushing things back until 2014.

Tim Cook at AllThingsD11 said he was still very interested in this product lineup so there's likely a future to the device and or services. Phil reported back when the rumor mill was reporting this that they needed content providers and cable communication companies for this to happen.

New XBOX ONE supports TV Features.

Aside Kuo's Forecast

There has been reports saying that there are people working at Apple designing a Wearable Device for the wrist and Tim Cook thinks that area is interesting, ripe for exploration, a new playground for companies.

iOS and Mac OS X

iOS will be getting a new look, Mac OS X will be getting Power User Features like putting two apps next to each other.

Thanks for this post, Dark Defender.

This has been the most barren 1st half for Apple that I can remember.  2nd half 2013 has to have a tide of launches coming?  

Hopefully before then?  Maybe some Macbooks and a 'Pro' at WWDC.  ...along with refreshes to X and iOS.

That would be a good WWDC.  Better than many, historically speaking.

Even as a top of the line iMac owner, I'm still very(!) interested in a refactored Mac Pro.  Slimmer.  Cheaper.  More Powerful.  More 'prosumer' than out of touch workstation.  Though some may say that's what the top end iMac is... ;)

I'm looking forward to the WWDC.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #61 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

That would be a good WWDC.  Better than many, historically speaking.

Have the "everything will be refreshed at WWDC" rumors ever held up?

post #62 of 132
Quote:

I always figured that the leaks were, for the most part, carefully orchestrated in order to build interest and a sense of "insider" info among the faithful.  Sure, some were legitimately problems, like the lost iPhone prototype, but isn't it interesting that whatever Apple announces is always front page news at CNN.com the day before the announcement?   The "leaks" followed a predictable cycle, and I never thought thety happened by accident.

Of course, it's Tim Cook's company now and he can do what he wants.   Or I could be way off base.

post #63 of 132
Quote:

Every other year or so I have a small hope that the keynote gets scheduled for four hours and is a non-stop Christmas party.  Then I have a cup of coffee.

Not that many people would be upset by several "and there is one more thing"'s.

Edited by Bergermeister - 6/2/13 at 7:51pm

post #64 of 132
Quote:

Well not really recently. That is because Apple has a lot more products. The trick right now is to read the tea leaves so to speak and guess at what could be updated. It is a tough guess but I'm leaning towards more than average. Intels Haswell release should tell us more.
post #65 of 132
I lean towards a more mixed explanation. In the past I think it was pretty clear that there where some major leaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

I always figured that the leaks were, for the most part, carefully orchestrated in order to build interest and a sense of "insider" info among the faithful.  Sure, some were legitimately problems, like the lost iPhone prototype, but isn't it interesting that whatever Apple announces is always front page news at CNN.com the day before the announcement?   The "leaks" followed a predictable cycle, and I never thought thety happened by accident.

Of course, it's Tim Cook's company now and he can do what he wants.   Or I could be way off base.

Well the Mac Pro line is certainly sewed up tight. There has been almost nothing leaked about the hardware.
post #66 of 132
Well the Mac Pro line is certainly sewed up tight. There has been almost nothing leaked about the hardware.

Hopefully that doesn't mean no retooling.

post #67 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post
I'm looking forward to the WWDC.

I am too. I also think this will be one of the best WWDC Keynotes but I always wish Steve was back to announce the products. At the end I would always wait to see if he said " and one more thing."

I guess Steve Jobs really did live the remaining of his life to the highest potential anyone could.

Tim Cook is a really good CEO as well, last year there were so many products released I couldn't count them all. So I'm making a list.

A Mac Mini,

an iMac,

3 iPads, the 2nd gen rev a, 3rd gen and the 4th gen retina models,

an iPad Mini,

an iPhone,

a new iPod Touch,

new iPod Nano,

A Macbook Air,

A Macbook Pro,

A retina Macbook Pro,

iTunes,

Mountain Lion,

iOS 6 (probably not the best because it upset users losing Google Maps and Youtube for like a month... but overall last year was the highest Apple Product launch year.) 

And if I missed any let me know. It's insane all of these products/updates were made in only one year. I have no idea why the stock went down.

And in 2013

iPad Retina 128gb

iPod 5th gen rev a 16gb

Updated Macbook pro retina display processors/ cut prices a bit

Hopes and Dreams for remaining of 2013

3D iPod Touch

New iPhone 6 with Wifi AC, battery that can charge in 20 seconds.

Mac Pro Cube or XMac slimmer mid tower rig

Mac Mini's with Haswell

Macbook Air Haswell and Wifi AC

Macbook Pro with Haswell and Wifi AC with better facetime Eyesight

iRadio

Airdrop on iOS devices

Better multitasking on iPad

Siri on Macs

Retina iMac

iCloud Drag and Drop folder in X

Wifi AC on iPad

Apple TV

iWatch

Macbook with LCD Keyboard

Siri and Apple Maps on Mac OS X 10.9

Curved Display iMac

Batteries that last a week, recharge in seconds,

snapshot editable camera like BBZ10

Haswell Successor Skylake Processors on Macbooks and iMacs

AMD Graphics on iPad, HD "Retina Content" Streaming over Wifi AC in iPads.

Curved Screen iPhone

Electro Tactile iPad

Being Able to pay at physical stores using your Apple ID using "iWallet" or Passbook.

I'm optomistic about the future of Apple.

4 more days til the banners start being put up at Moscone West for the big event!

EDIT June 03, 2013 : WWDC APP BY APPLE ON iTUNES NOW AVAILABLE. 

Download that baby here from Apple's website using iTunes since I couldn't find it on the iPhone App Store for some weird reason.

Keynote starts at 10 AM and ends at 12 PM on June 10 in the Pacific Time Zone

Edited by darkdefender - 6/5/13 at 1:32pm

post #68 of 132

You are a good dreamer I see.

post #69 of 132

Erecto Tactile Ipad.... oops sorry, my bad, i misread. I guess I just have a dirty mind.

post #70 of 132

iOS 7

Mac OSX 10.9

Macbook Pro- classic Spec Bump, Retina Possibly slight redesign and new fetaures

Macbook Air- spec bump with new features

iRadio

iMac Spec Bump, Mac MiNI Spec bump. 

Mac Pro 

Apps on Apple TV

Sounds like a lot to me though :P

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

post #71 of 132
It is interesting how "quiet" Apple has been. It must burn Samsung up, not knowing where to take their products next.

Heck, Apple could probably sit on their product releases for another year and continue to out earn Samsung, but I'd rather they came back with a series of highly innovative upgrades to deliver a deathblow to Samsung (and continue to push hard on the legal front to enforce their patent rights).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #72 of 132
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Heck, Apple could probably sit on their product releases for another year and continue to out earn Samsung, but I'd rather they came back with a series of highly innovative upgrades to deliver a deathblow to Samsung (and continue to push hard on the legal front to enforce their patent rights).

The only death blow that can come now is Apple investing in hit men and military aircraft to destroy Samsung's infrastructure and kill off its "engineers".

The courts have failed. Justice has failed. Apple can only beat them by using technology stolen from the future or by killing them off. Personally, I'm hoping for technology stolen from the future.

post #73 of 132
Quote:

The only death blow that can come now is Apple investing in hit men and military aircraft to destroy Samsung's infrastructure and kill off its "engineers".

The courts have failed. Justice has failed. Apple can only beat them by using technology stolen from the future or by killing them off. Personally, I'm hoping for technology stolen from the future.

I hear transwarp beaming technology is fairly useful.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #74 of 132

TB2 is real.  Could Apple have early access and be including it in the MacPro that I hope will be released next week?

post #75 of 132
Quote:

TB2 is real.  Could Apple have early access and be including it in the MacPro that I hope will be released next week?

I saw that. Well, Intel did make a CPU exclusive to Apple for a short time previously, so yeah, anything is possible. Though a WWDC might just be all about software. I just wish it was Monday already!
post #76 of 132
Quote:

I'm reluctant to believe that the Mac Pro replacement will come next week. In my gut I know it should as Apple will look extremely poor in the eyes of many customers. It wouldn't be impossible for Apple to have exclusivity on TB 2 though. The bigger Mac Pro problem is what CPU would go in the machine.
post #77 of 132
Quote:

I'm reluctant to believe that the Mac Pro replacement will come next week. In my gut I know it should as Apple will look extremely poor in the eyes of many customers. It wouldn't be impossible for Apple to have exclusivity on TB 2 though. The bigger Mac Pro problem is what CPU would go in the machine.

I think the replacement for the current Mac Pro will be a new chassis & much needed internals renewing; it should be shown/highlighted/discussed at the keynote, but will not ship for a few months (or so).

Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #78 of 132
Quote:
Actually RAM is the reason to go with XEON. 32 GB is simply to little RAM for some uses of the Mac Pro. However I could see Apple producing a Mac Pro replacement that gives up large RAM arrays for a simpler architecture that would allow them to either drive costs down or include a Phi coprocessor.

I thought IGP's were getting heterogeneous and independent so they wouldn't bother RAM or CPU's for Bandwidth... It's better because GPU's use Parallel Processing and CPU's just follow instructions one by one per core. It's all in GCN Tech in AMD's latest APU's and Nvidia is coming up with some stuff that's similar on their systems... I don't understand why XEON's are better than Ivy Bridge or Haswell's. Could you please explain it to me? Other than having 12 cores. And I don't think many people need more than 32GB of RAM. The minimum right now is 4GB but most people go with 8GB and they're dual channeled. I would like to see more Single Channel RAM in Macs, because they cycle information faster. Another thing is the latency of RAM, Apple does not the have best speeds in the field.

Their monitors are way behind the 1 ms respond time threshold and the contrast ratio is not so great on them. They're bright and useful for normal tasks but for watching content and gaming I really noticed a lot of ghosting and artifacts not moving as they should.

Wouldn't it be better if Apple just released a mid tower Mac Pro or a G6 Cube like we've talked about before?

Considering nobody water-cools Macs and DDR4 Ram won't be here until the Fall. Plus Mac OS X is in not many computers in the world right now due to the fact that Apple Computers are expensive as hell... Plus Windows 7 is still going strong even after Windows 8 was released. Not many people say "Today I'm going to install an operating system on my computer." OS's should update themselves and then ask you if you want to keep the update or revert to the previous way. No reason to pay 80 dollars for Windows 8 and loose everything trying to upgrade either.

No wonder their biggest markets are the iPhone and iPad.

Truth Apple did buy a memory making company last year so who knows what they're doing with them. Terabyte SSD's for Mac Pro's or soldered memory are coming.

Edited by darkdefender - 6/5/13 at 11:02am

post #79 of 132
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post
I think the replacement for the current Mac Pro will be a new chassis & much needed internals renewing…

What internal rewiring is needed on the Mac Pro?

post #80 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I think the replacement for the current Mac Pro will be a new chassis & much needed internals renewing; it should be shown/highlighted/discussed at the keynote, but will not ship for a few months (or so).

Quote:

What internal rewiring is needed on the Mac Pro?

It CLEARLY says RENEWING, not rewiring… As in, renew these Mac Pro internal components with shiny new parts, please…

SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC 2013