or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC 2013

WWDC 2013 - Page 3

post #81 of 132
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post
It CLEARLY says RENEWING, not rewiring… 

Dyslexia for cure found! Thanks. 1embarassed.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #82 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

I thought IGP's were getting heterogeneous and independent so they wouldn't bother RAM or CPU's for Bandwidth...
Not at all. Heterogenous mean in effect executing two different instructions streams from memory and doing so in a way that both processors (in this case GPU & CPU) have equal access to that memory. A homogenous system is one that has multiple processors but which run a common instruction set.

In some cases a heterogeneous system can be more efficient at using memory because there is less need to copy data and instruction streams around. Instead of copying a bit of data to the correct area for a GPU to process, the CPU can simply pass a handle to the data for the GPU to handle directly. Note that you need an operating system that can support this.
Quote:
It's better because GPU's use Parallel Processing and CPU's just follow instructions one by one per core. It's all in GCN Tech in AMD's latest APU's and Nvidia is coming up with some stuff that's similar on their systems...
Support for heterogeneous systems is growing in chip sets and GPUs. However instant hardware support does not imply that it can in any way be sued by current drivers and OS code. In the ideal situation the GPY would have the same access to memory as the CPU has, this is what AMD is striving for. However the OS has to be extended to understand how to deal with pages of memory that another processor may be accessing.
Quote:
I don't understand why XEON's are better than Ivy Bridge or Haswell's. Could you please explain it to me?
In some case they are the same chips just marketed differently or slightly extended. for example XEON chips might support ECC RAM where desktop chip won't. At one time Intel removed or disabled the GPU but now they intend to leave the GPU enable on some chips as a server computational resource or to support minimal video.

In other cases the chips actually differ significantly from desktop chips If you want to know how get on Intels web site and down load some technical info. improvements can range anywhere from reliability enhancements to communications channels
Quote:
Other than having 12 cores.
That is significant in and of itself.
Quote:
And I don't think many people need more than 32GB of RAM.
Actually many Mac Pro users do need the extra RAM. in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they extend mac OS this year to address a lot more RAM. You can think all you want but that doesn't make your thought processes right. Think about it, many think our current president is a good one, even when the overwhelming evidence says otherwise. So just because you think something, consider why the other guy may see things in a vastly different way. Another way to look at this is that minimal memory systems will likely hit 8GB soon on Apple hardware, that is a bit shocking if you have been in this industry a long time. I know from experience that 2GB is no longer enough to run Mac OS smoothly and even that is a surprise when many of the machines I owned int he pass barely had 256MB or RAM. In the end a "PRO" computer needs a lot of RAM, ideally configurable by the user.

Note that I said "ideally configurable" above, that is something that is an issue today. Sometime in the future it will be a requirement to solder the RAM into the motherboard to achieve the transfer rates that are possible with coming technologies. At that point it is even more important that computers come with a suitable amount of RAM pre installed. Remember too this is the WWDC thread, as such people with bleeding edge interests will gravitate to it. These people by nature are forward looking, the computers they run today will likely be mainstream in two to four years
Quote:
The minimum right now is 4GB but most people go with 8GB and they're dual channeled. I would like to see more Single Channel RAM in Macs, because they cycle information faster. Another thing is the latency of RAM, Apple does not the have best speeds in the field.
What do you mean by this: "cycle information faster"? You do realize why the industry went to dual, triple and then quad channel memory interfaces right?
Quote:

Their monitors are way behind the 1 ms respond time threshold and the contrast ratio is not so great on them. They're bright and useful for normal tasks but for watching content and gaming I really noticed a lot of ghosting and artifacts not moving as they should.
I'm sure you did!

in any event, being able to choose a monitor I prefer is one of the reason I've advocated for the XMAc concept. While I don't dismiss Apple monitors the way you do they are far less than perfect for the many possible uses for a Mac out there.
Quote:

Wouldn't it be better if Apple just released a mid tower Mac Pro or a G6 Cube like we've talked about before?
No! I;ve never seen the XMac as a mid tower design. AS for G6 cube what in the hell are you talking about? There has never been a G6 cube.
Quote:
Considering nobody water-cools Macs and DDR4 Ram won't be here until the Fall. Plus Mac OS X is in not many computers in the world right now due to the fact that Apple Computers are expensive as hell... Plus Windows 7 is still going strong even after Windows 8 was released. Not many people say "Today I'm going to install an operating system on my computer." OS's should update themselves and then ask you if you want to keep the update or revert to the previous way. No reason to pay 80 dollars for Windows 8 and loose everything trying to upgrade either.
You are rambling here about something but I have no idea what. As far as Mac OS devices go Apple has some pretty good deals. The AIRs for example are very competitive.
Quote:
No wonder their biggest markets are the iPhone and iPad.
They hit the market with a hardware / software suite that blew everything out of the water. That is how you win in business.
Quote:
Truth Apple did buy a memory making company last year so who knows what they're doing with them.
Your whole post is filled with garbage. The only memory related company they bought last year was ANOBIT which by the way has never made memory. Anobit specialized in technologies for controlling flash. As to what they are doing with them I have some good guesses, one of them is that it has something to do with flash.
Quote:
Terabyte SSD's for Mac Pro's or soldered memory are coming.
The problem of course is keeping such affordable.
post #83 of 132

@Wizard You're right. You win. I loose because that was a mouthful.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #84 of 132
Nice graphic! I should have off that day so maybe I can watch without interruption. I got my WWDC app so we will see how that works out.

I honestly think WWDC will be huge this year. Lots of new products and I'm expecting big things for both iOS and Mac OS. Frankly I'm not that much of a developer but I'd love to go to WWDC one year just to take it all in and expand my mind a bit. There are a lot of unannounced sessions this year which is likely for new technologies but frankly I'd be just as interested in the LLVM and XCode sessions.
Quote:

@Wizard You're right. You win. I loose because that was a mouthful.
post #85 of 132

2:00am for me on Tuesday morning.  To watch or not to watch, that is the question.

As the years go by it is getting increasingly difficult...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #86 of 132

So, shall we say Technological Preview of the All-New Extra-Shiny Mac Pro at WWDC MMXIII, shipping of same sometime in September…?

Dual Xeon E7 Haswell octo-core CPUs

256GB DDR4 ECC RAM

SuperBluRayDrive

Onboard hardware RAID controller

(4) 5TB HDDs

Bootable Fusion-io ioFX 1.6TB SSD PCIe card

nVidia Quadro K6000 GPU PCIe card

nVidia Tesla K20 GPU co-processor PCIe card

Intel Xeon Phi CPU co-processor PCIe card

USB 3

ThunderBolt 2

BlueTooth

Gigabit WiFi

1000BaseT Ethernet

31" 4K/UltraHD ThunderBolt 2 Cinema Display

Should be, what…? No more than around 35 grand…!?! ;^p

Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #87 of 132
Quote:

So, shall we say Technological Preview of the All-New Extra-Shiny Mac Pro at WWDC MMXIII, shipping of same sometime in September…?

I understand the implied sarcasm, but I don't think E7 came up anywhere. Those are basically exclusive to big iron servers. Sandy Bridge EP 26xx cpus went as high as 8 cores. I suspect that will be a more common core count with the ivy versions. The haswell models being released cap at 4. On board raid controllers aren't unheard of in other workstations. Most aren't appropriate for anything that uses parity distribution, but in lighter data cases it's easier and often cheaper to just have some kind of DAS solution with hourly backups compared to low end raid 5 (or 3 if anyone still uses that somewhere in the world).

post #88 of 132

BIG DEAL!

post #89 of 132

some of the announcements we are expecting at wwdc2013 include the iOS7 release, updates on new iPhone and iPad, iRadio etc.

post #90 of 132

Hey… where's the keynote bingo? I haven't seen one for a few years…

post #91 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey… where's the keynote bingo? I haven't seen one for a few years…

I thought the same thing when I saw that image.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #92 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I thought the same thing when I saw that image.

iRadio Service on iOS coming, possible on update to iTunes or OS X as well

AirDrop for iOS, New Flat Colorful icon UI, Weather icon displays correct temperature

Apple TV - 13 Million Users, New App Store API for Apple TV, Apple TV App for iPad with guide, watch later feed

Revolutionary , new keyboard or magic mouse with lithium rechargeable battery

Haswell,  1 TB SSD, New Facetime Eyesight on Macbook

New Mac, iPad Mini (spec bump), iPhone with gold plated aluminum, Multitouch keyboard Macbook

Over 500 million Apple accounts, in x amount of countries, another strong quarter, great upcoming products this fall

We're really excited, And here’s… to show a demo

Wifi AC on new Macs or devices (Mini, Macbook Pro, iMac, Air, iPhone, iPad, iPods)

Over 50 Billion App Downloads, # of New Apple Store locations, new carriers

Power User Features, New App Switcher, Icons on Mac OS X change

We owe the world to these amazing developers, tickets sold out in minutes

Free Space

New Power Features on OS X, New  App Switcher, Better Multitasking

Highest Customer Rating, iOS 6 on 93% of devices, Android Jellybean on X % of devices

Environmentally Friendly, Lisa comes out and talks about it

Orientation tilting icons, Dynamic Color changing icons, New Camera filters possibly on native camera app

We have something that we think you'll love, and one more thing…

Beta is available for developers tomorrow, X Code 5, Developer Session Videos available on Apple website

New AD or video promoting a device, Jony Ive talks about iOS 7

New iCloud Features, Snappier Safari compact ui, New notepad, calendar, phone, contacts UI

Vimeo Video sharing integration, New Siri Features with Ford showcased,

New Apple Product Category, Made in the U.S.A. Mac Pro Revamp,  Retina Cinema Displays

iOS 7 / Mac OS X announced for Fall or Holiday Season Release, stock changes as it’s announced

Leap Motion on Macbooks or Mac Keyboards, Wireless Charging, LTE on Macbooks, free space

Feel free to edit it... seriously.

post #93 of 132

We owe the world to these amazing developers, tickets sold out in minutes

We're really excited, And here’s… to show a demo

Cheater. 1tongue.gif

But most of these are impossible. They're either multiples in one or way too specific. Great ideas, though. How about this?

iRadio

AirDrop for iOS

Apple TV API

Touchscreen anything

New MacBook (family)

Major iOS redesign

Gushing over ecosystem/store/

WWDC success

More than 4 demos

802.11ac rollout (either in Macs or via an AirPort family update)

New iMacs

More than six instances of the word 'phenomenal'

A frownsmile

Free Space

New Mac Pro

Wholly new product

New Mac Mini

Redesigned Cinema Display

Musician outro

iOS 7/10.9 beta available during WWDC

TV ad for new product

Tabbed Finder

Craig Federighi on stage

Mac(s) made in USA

Something ships "Today!"

Siri on OS X

post #94 of 132
I'm still surprised at the lack of leaks. Either this will be one boring WWDC or Cook has made good on doubling down.
post #95 of 132
Quote:

Cheater. 1tongue.gif

But most of these are impossible. They're either multiples in one or way too specific. Great ideas, though. How about this?

iRadio

AirDrop for iOS

Apple TV API

Touchscreen anything

New MacBook (family)

Major iOS redesign

Gushing over ecosystem/store/

WWDC success

More than 4 demos

802.11ac rollout (either in Macs or via an AirPort family update)

New iMacs

More than six instances of the word 'phenomenal'

A frownsmile

Free Space

New Mac Pro

Wholly new product

New Mac Mini

Redesigned Cinema Display

Musician outro

iOS 7/10.9 beta available during WWDC

TV ad for new product

Tabbed Finder

Craig Federighi on stage

Mac(s) made in USA

Something ships "Today!"

Siri on OS X

Well it's a lot better than mine, so I would say this is what I'll use but I don't know what is a frownsmile is... and I don't think there will be new iMacs unless it's a revision to the Wifi AC... otherwise great man! I love this board.

post #96 of 132
Quote:

Well it's a lot better than mine, so I would say this is what I'll use but I don't know what is a frownsmile is... and I don't think there will be new iMacs unless it's a revision to the Wifi AC... otherwise great man! I love this board.

The "Frownsmile" square had me doubled over in laughter. Best game of Bingo ever!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #97 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The "Frownsmile" square had me doubled over in laughter. Best game of Bingo ever!

Maybe that square should have a pic of the Mona Lisa in it!
post #98 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Nice graphic! I should have off that day so maybe I can watch without interruption. I got my WWDC app so we will see how that works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

2:00am for me on Tuesday morning.  To watch or not to watch, that is the question.

As the years go by it is getting increasingly difficult...

I'm confused...I saw the App update, but where have they indicated intention of streaming the keynote live? That seems to be what's implied here.

post #99 of 132
Originally Posted by dark defender View Post
...I don't think there will be new iMacs unless it's a revision to the Wifi AC...

Haswell! Haswell! My goodness; it's update time. I don't see the update not having AC, but it would primarily be for Haswell.

post #100 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm confused...I saw the App update, but where have they indicated intention of streaming the keynote live? That seems to be what's implied here.

Various places (including AI) live blog the event.  I was suggesting watching one or more of those.

post #101 of 132
Quote:

Haswell! Haswell! My goodness; it's update time. I don't see the update not having AC, but it would primarily be for Haswell.
Ahhh. I see what you mean now. I forgot about it when I replied yesterday.

post #102 of 132
Quote:

Various places (including AI) live blog the event.  I was suggesting watching one or more of those.

Ah. Thanks. Such would be the norm. What was I reading indicated something more.

post #103 of 132
Quote:

The Verge does really good coverage, I went to them for D11, CNet has live video coverage but with snarky commentary, and I'm just hoping the WWDC is live streamed at Apple's website or the app. But yeah, there are lots of sources, like BGR, Techcrunch, Gigaom, and even Marketwatch. Appleinsider should get live coverage of it, but it doesn't, maybe cultofmac, 9to5mac, or macrumors do, but I don't visit their communities.

post #104 of 132

I usually set it to Engadget and let it do its magic.  With a 27" screen, I have something else off to the side that I am working on.  

post #105 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I usually watch the blow by blows connected to a couple of different web sites at the same time. Yes that is pathetic.

As to live streaming I don't believe they will do that this WWDC. However they have said that they intend to get many of the videos up very quick even the same day. Alive stream would be nice though. To save on bandwidth I will probably be at the library downloading the important videos.
post #106 of 132

I don't have a 27" iMac... but I ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!

post #107 of 132

36 hours to go.  Minus a little.

Had a dream:

OS X.9 intro

You're gonna want a new MacPro to run it on

or a new MacBook

oh and everything else updated to be optimal, too

And as you're so happy, you might be moved to sing

Logic Pro X

Then I woke up.

post #108 of 132

Who really gives a dam about  Haswell !

post #109 of 132
Quote:

256GB DDR4 ECC RAM

SuperBluRayDrive

Onboard hardware RAID controller

(4) 5TB HDDs

Bootable Fusion-io ioFX 1.6TB SSD PCIe card

nVidia Quadro K6000 GPU PCIe card

nVidia Tesla K20 GPU co-processor PCIe card

Intel Xeon Phi CPU co-processor PCIe card

USB 3

ThunderBolt 2

BlueTooth

Gigabit WiFi

1000BaseT Ethernet

31" 4K/UltraHD ThunderBolt 2 Cinema Display

Should be, what…? No more than around 35 grand…!?! ;^p

That would be AWESOME. Do not forget:

Thunderbolt display with USB 3 hub.

Extended numerical keyboard with USB 3 hub.

post #110 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

That would be AWESOME. Do not forget:

Thunderbolt display with USB 3 hub.

Extended numerical keyboard with USB 3 hub.

I think his was sarcasm of some sort, given that some of those parts are basically impossible in such a solution. E7s are used in quad socket servers and basically 0 workstations. They also come out later. The thunderbolt display should come with usb3. I suspect it will mimic the current imac chassis and screen treatment. If the glare reduction is as great as others have stated, that would be a much needed improvement. I guess it could always be put off until the next thunderbolt chipset, but all that allows for is 4k by combining channels. It doesn't go to PCIe 3 bandwidth until later.

post #111 of 132

A day to go.

And still no elevator pictures.

post #112 of 132

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/144783/confirmed-mac-pro-is-history-succeeded-by-jobs-final-project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

I've just returned from a west coast visit to an old college buddy, who is a worker bee at a colossal fx studio that buys hundreds of Mac Pro's each year. Occasionally this studio is graced with an Apple test mule, which normally is nothing exciting, just the same old tower with a new logic board and Xeons. Added to that, my buddy doesn't work in "the cage" where only a select few use the test mules. But he does occasionally collaborate with those lucky few who do!

So last month he's in the cage, and there's a big freakin' cube in there. At first glance, he didn't think it was a Mac, but upon further study it sure seemed like an Ives design. Another guy noticed him studying it and said, "that's Steve's baby, right there! It's not a Mac, either. It's an Apple Pro!"

Yes, Jobs wanted one last go at the Cube before he finally logged out. We all know how much Jobs hates tower computers, and the Mac Pro was no exception. My buddy says he really nailed it with this one, it's flat-out the most perfect desktop design he's ever used.

As far design, the Apple Pro is a direct descendant of the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_cube"> NeXTcube.</a> 12", cubed. Aluminum, anodized black (or maybe gunmetal grey, hard to say with the lighting). Vents ring the top of the cube's sides, so it's stackable. The cube was stacked on another half cube, only six inches high. How to easily stack it? Handles slide out from the bottom. Slick.

Components are accessed by removing either the left or right side panels. Left side for RAM, CPU, and HDs. Right side for PCIe sockets. One 3.5 GHz Ivy Bridge processor. Only two tiny HD bays, this sucker runs SSDs off the PCIe bus, and in this test mule, there was built-in hardware RAID support, no extra PCIe card needed. Three PCIe slots, two of which were used by video cards, with one remaining. No extra-long PCIe card support, unfortunately. It wouldn't be a true Apple product if it wasn't gimped in some way. Optical drives? What, and ruin the perfection of the cube's faces? Looks like it's external optical drives for any professional who, God forbid, want to burn a project onto Blu-ray.

The half cube was styled exactly like the cube. It's a six drive Thunderbolt RAID enclosure. A proprietary connector links the RAID half cube to the cube, so it powers on and off with the cube. There's also means to manually power it on and off so it can be used with any computer. Slick.

Now for the coolest part: the guys says to my buddy, what we're really testing is the new Apple Galaxy system. Huh? He points across the room. On a desk are two four foot stacks of cubes. The anodized aluminum and cube designs conspire to make the towering stacks into works of art. The guy says, one stack of four cubes will costs us about the same as a high-end Mac Pro, and we can add cubes and half cubes one at a time as we need more power. Galaxy is incredible, he says. They've been working on beta versions of Galaxy for years, but now with the cubes it finally makes sense. My buddy says, "The Apple Pro with Galaxy will enable Apple to finally conquer the creative studio market" They're more powerful than Mac Pros, more expandable, cheaper, and damn sexy.

The chatter is that Steve had a hell of a time getting this project authorized. Mac Pro sales are "in the thousands" and Steve was the only one at Apple who wanted to have another go at the desktop market. It's widely believed that this cube was only given the final go upon Steve's death, as it was his last wish.
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #113 of 132
Quote:

A day to go.

Uh oh, elevator's empty:

Innovation must have got out a couple of floors earlier on the way down.

Tim said no new hardware until the fall. Updated hardware is kind of new but not really elevator-worthy. Most likely hardware update is a drop-in upgrade for the laptops to Haswell. If Apple goes with a ULV version of Haswell like the following for the Air, it will be disappointing in terms of performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7047/the-haswell-ultrabook-review-core-i74500u-tested/5

but the battery life will be improved. I reckon battery life will be advertised as 10 hours instead of 7.
post #114 of 132
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I reckon battery life will be advertised as 10 hours instead of 7.

Ten hours on and a month of standby across the entire laptop line… can you imagine?!

post #115 of 132
Quote:

A day to go.

The lack of leaks may be the most impressive thing about WWDC this year.
post #116 of 132
The lack of leaks may be the most impressive thing about WWDC this year.

"M-m-m-maybe there's nothing TO leak!" 😱

/s, of course.

post #117 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Tim said no new hardware until the fall. Updated hardware is kind of new but not really elevator-worthy. Most likely hardware update is a drop-in upgrade for the laptops to Haswell. If Apple goes with a ULV version of Haswell like the following for the Air, it will be disappointing in terms of performance:
Yeah but who believed that? After all fall is a long ways off even if it feels like it temperature wise.

As to performance I've seen some testing that actually shows a performance regression on some benchmarks. That was on Linux however and could be the result of driver issues. So yeah if expectations are high people might end up disappointed.
😃
Quote:

but the battery life will be improved. I reckon battery life will be advertised as 10 hours instead of 7.

Graphics performance and battery life are of course the flip side. Since the GPU is more important than some want to admit, these two improvements will make many users very happy. Once people realize just how much of an advancement is seen here I suspect the new AIRs will sell like hotcakes.
post #118 of 132
Quote:

"M-m-m-maybe there's nothing TO leak!" 😱

/s, of course.

That would be very sad indeed.
post #119 of 132
Quote:

That would be very sad indeed.

16 hours 50 minutes.... why must time go so slow.

Watching bates motel and movies to pass the time. got greasy popcorn fingers right now.

watching "Warm Bodies."

Edit: iOS 7 settings "leaked screenshot

Edited by darkdefender - 6/9/13 at 6:54pm

post #120 of 132
16 hours 50 minutes.... why must time go so slow.

Watching bates motel and movies to pass the time. got greasy popcorn fingers right now.

watching "Warm Bodies."

You're gonna stay up? Unless you're Cook/Schiller/Federighi and all psyched up, I can't see why. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC 2013