or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone owners spend 55% more time on their phone than Android users

iPhone owners spend 55% more time on their phone than Android users - Page 2

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

The percentages of difference are so small they seem insignificant.

Since when has insignificant numbers based on inaccurate data ever stopped an Apple blog from postings a non-story?

post #42 of 70
Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
Since when has insignificant numbers based on inaccurate data ever stopped an Apple blog from postings a non-story?

You're trolling.

In before, "Did I do that?"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaprofessor View Post

Apple servers aren't working too well today.

and a galaxy S3 exploded last night :

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1f5hoq/my_samsung_galaxy_s3_exploded_last_night_while_i/

post #44 of 70
1 hour and 15 minutes? uh uh.. save me. I'm sure I'm easily quadrupling that number...
post #45 of 70
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Android users, meanwhile, devote a greater share of their smartphone usage time to browsing the Web.

Android users spend more time browsing the web, yet Android's actual web usage share trails iOS by nearly 40 percentage points (iOS 69.0%, Android 26.5%.)  And the gap is widening.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/07/apples-ios-widens-lead-over-android-in-us-mobile-web-traffic

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #46 of 70

Wasn't there a study recently that showed iPhone users spent far more money shopping (per user) than Android users?  If this study is to be believed, they spend about the same amount of time surfing the web, so that implies the iPhone users are far more efficient at finding things to buy.  And at buying them.  This may reflect different demographics of the two classes of user, or it may reflect ease of use differences (or ease of purchase differences).

post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Wasn't there a study recently that showed iPhone users spent far more money shopping (per user) than Android users?  If this study is to be believed, they spend about the same amount of time surfing the web, so that implies the iPhone users are far more efficient at finding things to buy.  And at buying them.  This may reflect different demographics of the two classes of user, or it may reflect ease of use differences (or ease of purchase differences).

It was tablets, as far as smartphones go they spend almost the same.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

That brings up an interesting question. How hard would it be to take assess the iOS v. Android user populations by counting the number of community sites and their membership?

You'd first have to count up all the trolls on the opposing platform forums? But that will tell you which platform is more popular anyway. I seriously doubt many Apple users seek out Android forums just to ridicule their users like the Android trolls do here. Apple users are generally content with their decision. Android users are on a mission to try to stop the happiness.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #49 of 70
Not surprising when it takes less steps to accomplish the same task on android. It always frustrates me when i want to enable/disable the wifi or Bluetooth on my iPhone. Or when i want to look at Facebook. The widgets in android allow me to configure it to give me a more productive view of my data. I can get there with the iPhone, but i often have to navigate in and out of apps to get each piece of data i want. I hope apple takes a hint and makes the flow in IOS7 easier.
post #50 of 70
Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post
Not surprising when it takes less steps to accomplish the same task on android. It always frustrates me when i want to enable/disable the wifi or Bluetooth on my iPhone. 

I'm sure that's the reason iPhone users spend more time on their devices¡ 1oyvey.gif

post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Do they count the times when the Android phone's battery is dead? Any time after 8pm, judging by my Android-using friends 1tongue.gif

My S4 battery lasts just as long as my IP5 did...about 24 hours of normal (for me) use....

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #52 of 70
Quote:

Do they count the times when the Android phone's battery is dead? Any time after 8pm, judging by my Android-using friends 1tongue.gif

Heh, that pretty much describes the month I had my Galaxy S3 before I returned it for the iPhone 5.  I turned everything off, installed a battery saver app, disabled multitasking, and barely used it and it was still nearly dead by the late afternoon.  I really wanted to try Android to get into developing for it, but I couldn't deal with it being my main phone.  My iPhone usually has at least 60% at the end of the day and I rarely worry about it, even on nights out.  Maybe the newer S4 and HTC One are better, but I'm under contract for another year.

post #53 of 70
Odd if Android users spend more minutes per day surfing the web because unless they set their user-agents to "safari/iOS" it isn't registering anywhere that measures mobile browser stats.

There are several possibilities:
1. Very few Android users surf the web, but the few who do spend many minutes.
2. User-agent shenanigans
3. Android users surf the web but visit a limited number of special interest sites not tracked by ad networks that report mobile browser stats

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

Not surprising when it takes less steps to accomplish the same task on android. It always frustrates me when i want to enable/disable the wifi or Bluetooth on my iPhone. Or when i want to look at Facebook. The widgets in android allow me to configure it to give me a more productive view of my data. I can get there with the iPhone, but i often have to navigate in and out of apps to get each piece of data i want. I hope apple takes a hint and makes the flow in IOS7 easier.

yep...I can just touch my wake button and get to widgets to get all the data i want at a glance without having to open individual apps...

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #55 of 70
Quote:

I guess your friends do not want to hear you after 8PM.

post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You'd first have to count up all the trolls on the opposing platform forums? But that will tell you which platform is more popular anyway. I seriously doubt many Apple users seek out Android forums just to ridicule their users like the Android trolls do here. Apple users are generally content with their decision. Android users are on a mission to try to stop the happiness.

No need. They argue amongst themselves.
post #57 of 70
Not surpised, I'm very comfortable on my iPhone 5, the LTE is blazing fast and the response time for everything is splendid.

And a great user experience means extra time "using" I'm confident....

ETA: A model breakdown would be informative: are people realy talking "more" holding a huge slab of a "phablet" up to the side of their head? I'd think as the screen grows so would the tilt toward internet usage. At which at some point it's dump the phablet and grab an LTE iPad mini.
Edited by jfc1138 - 5/29/13 at 1:38pm
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Were you not trying to refute what I've said?

You were calling people idiots. That alone has discredited everything else you have said.
post #59 of 70

Originally Posted by ged View Post

great reason to not buy one, if you ask me.

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You realise how dumb this comment is (one) when referring to an article that's a comparison between two things?  

If on the other hand by "one" you mean "cellphones," then ... WTF?  

sigh! allow me to elucidate: i was simply trying to say that spending that much time (60 minutes?) per day staring at a phone (and yes, by "one" i mean "a cellphone") is time that we're not using to talk with other people (to clarify: i'm including texting in my definition of not talking). i do realise that most people on this forum probably spend a bunch of time on their computer as well (as do i - no mobile phone, though), but this actually makes the problem worse (admittedly, it is perhaps only those who study societies, human interactions, etc. who do consider this a problem). and if these passive effects are not negative enough for you, i am faced, increasingly frequently, with the phenomenon of people who constantly check their phones while in a discussion with other people. this is not only mind-bogglingly rude (at least to people born prior to 1980), but also renders life far less efficient, as we are often forced to cover the same ground more often.

sorry if i was too cryptic earlier.

post #60 of 70
Quote:

Someone who comes onto a website about a company for the sole purpose of saying bad things about the company is an idiot.

Nothing else needs said.

What company about what website? Please explain..... There seems to be a very balanced and diversified amount of articles here on this website.

Does name calling violate forums rules?

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

But.. but.. this doesn't include tinkering and staring at the homescreen right? lol.gif

Staring adoringly at the "non-boring" home screen that isn't "stale", don't you mean.

That explains it, a group of people stare dumbfounded at home screens, almost mesmerised by the "freshness", in their feeble tiny minds they feel compelled to share this obsession, which they do so, regularly at every opportunity.

Although "large screens" seems to be the favourite flavour this week.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Android users, meanwhile, devote a greater share of their smartphone usage time to browsing the Web.

Perhaps that's because web browsing on a larger screen is a better experience.

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Heh, that pretty much describes the month I had my Galaxy S3 before I returned it for the iPhone 5.  I turned everything off, installed a battery saver app, disabled multitasking, and barely used it and it was still nearly dead by the late afternoon.  I really wanted to try Android to get into developing for it, but I couldn't deal with it being my main phone.  My iPhone usually has at least 60% at the end of the day and I rarely worry about it, even on nights out.  Maybe the newer S4 and HTC One are better, but I'm under contract for another year.

You most likely had a defective unit. I use a Nexus 4 and I get the same amount of battery life as I did when I had a iphone 5. When I use my nexus 4 on stock I get the about +/- 30 minutes as when I had an iphone 5. When I use CyanogenMod 10.1 I get 3 to 5 hours longer then the iPhone 5.(But that should not count) 

post #64 of 70
Quote:

...90% of the devices in use are iOS devices (across the board)...

Wait, what? That seems...dubious. Did I miss something?

post #65 of 70
Quote:

Were you not trying to refute what I've said?

It was most likely a joke, if he wanted to be negative he could have said that this statistic proves you get more done quicker on a Android phone. May I recommend a vacation as you've become really grumpy.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #66 of 70
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post
Wait, what? That seems...dubious. Did I miss something?

Every usage chart since the first has shown this, to my memory. If you only ever read the lying shipment reports, you'd probably miss it. 1tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Relic View Post
It was most likely a joke, if he wanted to be negative he could have said that this statistic proves you get more done quicker on a Android phone.

Someone else said that (or maybe it was him); jokes based on lies don't often work well.

post #67 of 70
I can understand why more people use iphones over all android phones because the retina display is far more superior. The only android devices that compare is the htc one and samsung galaxy 4 which both fall short of the quality of the retina display.
post #68 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest01 View Post

I can understand why more people use iphones over all android phones because the retina display is far more superior. The only android devices that compare is the htc one and samsung galaxy 4 which both fall short of the quality of the retina display.

Fall short in what regard?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest01 View Post

I think you'd need to be more specific.

The display testing site seemed to give good measurements for high end Androids in the past year or so, and their methodology seemed reasonably rigorous.

SIII was good at somethings, not so much on others:
http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

SIV is better:
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm
Edited by JeffDM - 5/31/13 at 9:52am
post #70 of 70
This shows that people enjoy using iOS more than android
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone owners spend 55% more time on their phone than Android users