or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Macs, modernized iOS expected to appear at Apple's WWDC

New Macs, modernized iOS expected to appear at Apple's WWDC

post #1 of 103
Though there won't be a new iPhone or iPad unveiling at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, the company is expected to unveil new Mac hardware, along with a more modern looking version of iOS, according to one well-connected insider.

WWDC

Jim Dalrymple of The Loop offered his own expectations for WWDC on Wednesday, many of which are in line with recent rumors about the conference. Dalrymple has a proven track record in predicting Apple's future moves.

"Don't expect an iPhone or iPad at WWDC," he wrote plainly.

However, he does expect that Apple will introduce new Mac hardware at its keynote presentation, scheduled for June 10. In particular, AppleInsider has been tracking the drying up of MacBook Air inventory at authorized Apple resellers in the weeks leading up to WWDC.

Intel is set to officially launch its next-generation Haswell processors in early June, which are expected to appear in Apple's next-generation Macs. Also candidates for upgrades are the MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and a long-awaited Mac Pro redesign.

Dalrymple didn't offer any indication as to what new Macs Apple is likely to introduce at WWDC, but he did make an effort to tone down expectations regarding the anticipated iOS 7.

"Personally, I don't think Apple will take it as far as what some might think," he wrote. "The way I envision iOS 7 is more of a modernization of the look and feel of the operating system. Kind of like what Apple did with OS X over the years."

As for OS X 10.9, the next major update expected for Apple's Mac operating system, Dalrymple said he's particularly interested in what direction Apple takes. He noted that users have come to expect "deep integration" with all of Apple's products and services, and he predicts that a new OS X will offer tighter integration with services such as iCloud.

WWDC runs June 10 through 14 at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will have full coverage.
post #2 of 103

Update the Retina Macbook Pros, please.

My nearly four year old 17-inch MBP is still going strong (especially after installing an SSD), but I've got the new Mac itch. Also my wife's six year old iMac is wearing thin on her and she's coveting my MBP.

post #3 of 103
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
…he did make an effort to tone down expectations regarding the anticipated iOS 7.

Too late. The very fact that Apple is releasing an update of any sort means that if it doesn't cure cancer, AIDS, herpes, Alzheimer's, and induce orgasm in the entire crowd, it is an utter failure.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #4 of 103
I just have one question:

What will 10.9 be called?

(Oh, and I'm really looking forward to what Jony will do)
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
post #5 of 103
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sabertooth Tiger On A Snowboard.

To signify how they're going to start combining OS X (cats) and iOS (winter resorts).

post #6 of 103
Quote:

A direwolf. Or maybe a Lannister. :D

post #7 of 103
How about some service improvements:
- Improved Maps: navigation is on par with Google Maps in my city now. But POI are still lacking, and major roads are still shown in white, making them hard to pick out.
- Better iCloud: iCloud sync'ing is hit and miss. Many third party developers hate it
- Faster Siri: no need to say more
- Siri coming to Mac OS X

As hardware become increasingly commoditized, services, services will be the selling point. Unfortunately for Apple, Google still has a leg up in terms of online service. They have been an online service since the start.
post #8 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

They just did that this past March.  I'd be surprised to see another update so soon....   But you never know  :)

post #9 of 103

Retina MacBook Air pleaseeeeeeeee

post #10 of 103
Quote:

(Oh, and I'm really looking forward to what Jony will do)

dog

post #11 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

They just did that this past March.  I'd be surprised to see another update so soon....   But you never know  :)

Haswell is enough to assure buyers that the integrated graphics handle the pressure.

Oh... And SLI 750m, standard 750M on the 13" :)

Oh... and SLI 750m on the retina 17"

lol

post #12 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

- Better iCloud: iCloud sync'ing is hit and miss. Many third party developers hate it.

The one thing I hate is that if you're app isn't in the App Store you can't use iCloud syncing but if it is the developer has to abide by extra strict guidelines with what the app can access. I'd like for one of these to give way. The last item in the FAQ explains this issue with some Bare Bones apps and their workarounds.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #13 of 103
Regarding iOS, is Jim saying this based on things he knows or has been told or just what he thinks? Because Mark Gurman's reporting at 9to5Mac sounds like a significant overhaul. And Rene Ritchie and John Gruber have reported similar things.
post #14 of 103
I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the cat-names to symbolize a break from the past. They'll have to do it at some point anyway. Since it's .9 though, they might try and stick with it one more revision.
post #15 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

A 15" Retina MacBook Air would make my pants tight. I love my 15" rMBP, but it is a bit hefty.

post #16 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Regarding iOS, is Jim saying this based on things he knows or has been told or just what he thinks? Because Mark Gurman's reporting at 9to5Mac sounds like a significant overhaul. And Rene Ritchie and John Gruber have reported similar things.

The definition of a "significant overhaul" is different for each person. For some people, if iOS still contains grids of icons, then that would not meet the definition (which, by the way, is a ridiculous opinion). 

post #17 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

Really? A price drop and slightly updated components do not an update make. The real update that the MacBook Pro needs is Haswell + an upgraded GPU. Anand Tech's initial review hinted at this as a potential issue and further testing seems to confirm that it is the case. As someone who got burned by a GPU failure in the past (Nvidia 8600M GT), I'm very interested in seeing how Apple decides to solve this problem. Granted, most of the blame for this issue was with Nvidia's manufacturing process, Apple had to deal with the fallout; a situation they probably would not like to have happen again. If Apple had its way, we wouldn't be seeing the Retina MacBook Pro until at least this year, when they are able to source a GPU that is a better match for the product. If it's not clear already, I'm dismissing the 13" Pro, the Fall update was just to bring it up to date and didn't really add anything we hadn't seen before. I still expect the Mac's technology flagship to continue to be the 15" model. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Haswell is enough to assure buyers that the integrated graphics handle the pressure.

I hope you're right.

Edited by CMF - 5/29/13 at 8:49am
post #18 of 103
I like the logo.

Making the reflection of WWDC partially into the Roman numerals for 2013 was decidedly clever, and typically Apple.
post #19 of 103
10.9 will be called Cougar, perhaps?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #20 of 103
I like Dalrymple. He's got something most lack: common sense.
post #21 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

I like Dalrymple. He's got something most lack: common sense.

More important than that; inside contacts.
post #22 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The definition of a "significant overhaul" is different for each person. For some people, if iOS still contains grids of icons, then that would not meet the definition (which, by the way, is a ridiculous opinion). 
True. And from everything reported so far it doesn't seem like the grid of icons or home button are going anywhere.
post #23 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the cat-names to symbolize a break from the past. They'll have to do it at some point anyway. Since it's .9 though, they might try and stick with it one more revision.

Who told you that?

post #24 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I used to use BBEdit religiously until I switched to TextMate several years ago. Which is better now days? I am surprised that TextMate is not on the Mac App Store.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 103
The hardware I am really looking forward to is new 80211 AC Time Capsule and Air Port routers. I am interested in the Airs as well but will only buy one immediately if they have a touch screen so I can use it to test app UI on a Mac finally.
post #26 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I used to use BBEdit religiously until I switched to TextMate several years ago. Which is better now days? I am surprised that TextMate is not on the Mac App Store.

If you're a programmer, then BBEdit is still best.  If you are not, then TextWrangler is a better choice than both BBEdit and TextMate IMO.  

post #27 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pussycat. 

post #28 of 103
Quote:

I like the logo.

Making the reflection of WWDC partially into the Roman numerals for 2013 was decidedly clever, and typically Apple.

It's cool for a WWDC logo, but am I the only one who thinks that, that it is terrible replacement for the current app buttons in iOS?

I'm all for change but I hope there's more to it than that. I'd like to think there is more ..

Yet...

Historically the banners of WWDC hint at what's to come and that font and simplicity, doesn't seem to work for me when applying to a digital touch screen interface.

I've always like that apples icons and app buttons popped, and looked and felt more full and colorful over other smart phone OS.
post #29 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you're a programmer, then BBEdit is still best.  If you are not, then TextWrangler is a better choice than both BBEdit and TextMate IMO.  

Why? Why? You have all three of the apps? I have never used TextWrangler but I like TextMate just fine although I did have to use BBEdit once recently to open a really big file that TM choked on. It was over a gig. It was a diagnostic output from a machine. Even BBEdit took its time opening it, but it eventually did it.

post #30 of 103
Quote:

Don't count it. The existence of a retina pro suggests that the Air will be their 'MacBook' and will likely never get retina displays or even huge SSDs etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You are probably correct but eventually there will have to be a layer in front of that grid. Essentially the grid of icons is equivalent to the application folder on OS X being open and you scroll horizontally instead of vertically. That worked well when people had less than 100 apps but now people have many hundreds if not thousands. Adding folders was only a band aid fix. With OS X there are all sorts of ways to find things if you don't know the name, you can sort alphabetically, by size, by date modified, by date added, date last opened, or even a label. Trying to find an app in iOS when you can't remember the name is very frustrating. Or what about when you delete some apps from time to time which opens a blank space on the grid and install a new app which fills in that blank spot and then it is hard to find because you expect it to be on the last page. Some sorting options at least for the grid would be very welcome. 

I think Apple can figure out a far more elegant way to put a layer in front of the grid that will allow us to access apps or settings and navigate through the UI far more efficiently. This is something none of the competitors have yet to do very well either so it is a great way for Apple to really have a stand out feature. 

P.S. I think 9 will be the last cat name since they are running out unless they choose to go with extinct or small cat breeds. I think with 10.10 they might go with a new species. I think sharks would be a great choice. OS X Mako, Hammerhead, bull, blue, reef, great white and so many more. They might want to skip lemon and nurse sharks though. 

I want to see an app drawer in iOS 7. It makes finding everything on Android so easy. Your homescreens are free to be filled with all your favorite apps in whatever layout suits you, and all the rest of your hundreds of lesser used apps sit hidden in an alphabetized grid.
post #32 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

If it is 10.9 they will stick with the cats, although something like Sabertooth might transition them into a theme of say dinosaurs for OS 11

But who knows. Doesn't really matter in the end, the power of the OS is the real issue.

post #33 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

I am interested in the Airs as well but will only buy one immediately if they have a touch screen so I can use it to test app UI on a Mac finally.

Another unlikely to happen. Apple could have done this ages ago but hasn't because by their admission they view a laptop as a different beast than a tablet.

post #34 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If it is 10.9 they will stick with the cats, although something like Sabertooth might transition them into a theme of say dinosaurs for OS 11

But who knows. Doesn't really matter in the end, the power of the OS is the real issue.

Dinosaurs? No way. Perhaps they should use made up names like car companies do. There is no end to those. Throw in a couple famous landmarks while your at it. There is no reason to name your OS after something fierce. 

post #35 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You are probably correct but eventually there will have to be a layer in front of that grid. Essentially the grid of icons is equivalent to the application folder on OS X being open and you scroll horizontally instead of vertically. That worked well when people had less than 100 apps but now people have many hundreds if not thousands. Adding folders was only a band aid fix. With OS X there are all sorts of ways to find things if you don't know the name, you can sort alphabetically, by size, by date modified, by date added, date last opened, or even a label. Trying to find an app in iOS when you can't remember the name is very frustrating. Or what about when you delete some apps from time to time which opens a blank space on the grid and install a new app which fills in that blank spot and then it is hard to find because you expect it to be on the last page. Some sorting options at least for the grid would be very welcome. 

I think Apple can figure out a far more elegant way to put a layer in front of the grid that will allow us to access apps or settings and navigate through the UI far more efficiently. This is something none of the competitors have yet to do very well either so it is a great way for Apple to really have a stand out feature. 

P.S. I think 9 will be the last cat name since they are running out unless they choose to go with extinct or small cat breeds. I think with 10.10 they might go with a new species. I think sharks would be a great choice. OS X Mako, Hammerhead, bull, blue, reef, great white and so many more. They might want to skip lemon and nurse sharks though. 
I would love to see Apple get away from being so app centric. Or that you have to open an app every time you want to do something. I suppose that's why people like widgets. Might not change for iOS 7 but we might see it in iOS 8. From all the rumors out there and different blogger comments I get the impression Ive has wanted to get his hands on the software for a long time. I'd be curious to know if he and Steve ever had conversations on software design or if that was a no-go because Steve felt hardware and software design should be kept separate. One theme I'm getting from Cook is a lot more collaboration and fewer silos which might have existed under Steve.
post #36 of 103
Expect GPS and cellular capabilities on upcoming Mac lines, and higher speed wifi. Expect increasingly common features in OS X and iOS and the applications. Expect improved touch control input for Mac laptops and keyboards.

Since Apple has already built iOS device simulators into their develop software, they could make standalone simulators available on the Macs.
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pussycat. 

I'll vote for "Calico".

To represent it's multicolor nature (meaning, with elements of iOS).

And that it will just purr along on your Mac.   :^)

post #38 of 103
Quote:

I like the logo.

They even reflected some of the letters in the font about the center for symmetry - it's some Helvetica variation, not the standard ones (possibly their own variation as they've done in the past).

The reflection theme is likely insignificant, just a style thing probably, as symmetry is more visually appealing. The numerals seem more significant. It could just be part of the style they chose but it stands out to me.

In terms of the 10.9 name, while Pussy Galore would be awesome along with associated desktop images bundled:

it'll probably just be another type of lion. Anything non-lion would be a downgrade. They've still got the White Lion left. I think Lion Cub would be cool to be symbolic of both a small footprint and the fact that the future belongs to the young (who don't wear watches).

I think we'll see updated laptops either at or just before WWDC and everything else will come later on. OS X and iOS has been under new management so I'd expect some changes but I wonder where OS X really goes after 10.9. They won't drop it in favour of something new like with OS 9 as there's no longer a reason to do that.
post #39 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

Don't count it. The existence of a retina pro suggests that the Air will be their 'MacBook' and will likely never get retina displays or even huge SSDs etc

512 is not enough?

post #40 of 103

or extinct.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Macs, modernized iOS expected to appear at Apple's WWDC