or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Macs, modernized iOS expected to appear at Apple's WWDC

New Macs, modernized iOS expected to appear at Apple's WWDC - Page 2

post #41 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

True. And from everything reported so far it doesn't seem like the grid of icons or home button are going anywhere.

Nor should they. 

post #42 of 103
"I grow tired of asking so this will be the last time: where...are...the...Mac...Pros?"
post #43 of 103
Doing pretty good with this list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

How about some service improvements:
- Improved Maps: navigation is on par with Google Maps in my city now. But POI are still lacking, and major roads are still shown in white, making them hard to pick out.
Maps is fine by me.
Quote:
- Better iCloud: iCloud sync'ing is hit and miss. Many third party developers hate it
This is by far the biggest issue, in my estimation iCloud is a complete failure both in concept and implementation. Apples own products, like iWorks, are a terrible example of implementation with their iOS specific ile versions. As for the concept, why does the software assume that I want everything on the cloud??? The inability to designate where files are stored in iOS devices makes the whole platform a bit useless. Related here is iOS significant shortcoming of no way to browse file systems from apps, at least not a clean Apple supported API.
Quote:
- Faster Siri: no need to say more
Siri needs to move some of that AI to the device locally.
Quote:
- Siri coming to Mac OS X
On Mac I'd like to see Siri or more specifically voice parsing, become a gateway to a system AI.
Quote:
As hardware become increasingly commoditized, services, services will be the selling point.
We have been hearing that one for years. The problem is few want to pay for such services.
Quote:
Unfortunately for Apple, Google still has a leg up in terms of online service. They have been an online service since the start.
Frankly all the bluster about Google services is just hot Air.
post #44 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why? Why? You have all three of the apps? I have never used TextWrangler but I like TextMate just fine although I did have to use BBEdit once recently to open a really big file that TM choked on. It was over a gig. It was a diagnostic output from a machine. Even BBEdit took its time opening it, but it eventually did it.

Well, it's just my preference/opinion.  I got pissed off at BBEdit a few years ago for something I can't remember and tried TextWrangler and I liked it much better although it's very similar.  I don't do any programming or even much scripting anymore and basically just use these apps for cleaning up data.  TextMate is too programming focussed for me and more tool than I need. 

post #45 of 103

Let me just post this again incase Apple is reading /s

Maps: 

• Route Caching: The ability to cache initial route in the event you enter into a cellular dead zone. The ability to continually cache alternate routes so when you miss a turn, Maps will quickly give new directions. This is of particular interest in a city where recalculating takes longer than it does to drive a block. 
  • Pit Stops: The ability to map a direction and then add pit stops along the way. Example: Map directions between my house and the Zoo. Oh, now we want to stop for coffee, where is the nearest coffee on the way to my currently mapped destination? The ability to spontaneously add a pit stop along the way. Example: On the way to the Zoo, the wife notices in the tour book a museum near by. Maps should be able to route us to that pit stop and then onto the zoo. 
  • Pivot Points: I am now at Disney at my hotel and I want to set my location as my new pivot point, or temporary home. 
  • Maps on Mac so that we can plan a trip on our Mac and send to our other devices. 

Siri: 

• The ability for Siri to be localized so that basic commands don't have to loop through Apple HQ. 
  • Siri voice recognition to be much stronger. To sit Siri down in front of a TV with Closed Captioning and have her hear the words and compare that to the closed captioning to strengthen her ability to understand a multitude of voices. This can be applied across multiple languages and accents. 
  • Siri able to function on any Apple platform, and to understand which platform she is on. I.E. Home iPhone vs. Work iPhone vs. Home Mac vs. Work iPad
  • Siri to have the ability to function across these platforms to perform tasks. Siri, move this document to my Work iPad and place onto iCloud. Siri, rent this movie and start streaming it on my Apple TV. Siri, place on my Work iPhone a meeting with the design team from 9am - 12pm Saturday and include (...), and also mark that time on my home Calendars as at the office. 
  • The ability for Siri to process tasks and reminders such as a to-do list. 
  • The ability to understand shopping lists. Siri, remind me to pick up Creme Fraiche next time I'm at (...). Siri, remind me to pick up a card before X date. These should not be calendar appointments, but tasks. 

iCloud:

• iCloud Auto Sync, having the ability to sync any documents, folders, apps, or settings from any device. Instead of choosing where to save something, have the ability to save to multiple places and sync the data so that one may retain a local copy and an iCloud copy. Much like Calendar and Contacts works today. 
  • A check box (much like the one when saving an iDoc that asks if you want to save a preview) that when saving a document, or save as, you can select to have this document synced on iCloud also. 

I will concede that if iCloud was much stronger, then much of the syncing I mentioned above could happen on its own. However, I still have contacts on my iPhone that don't appear on my Mac's contact list. I am also no where near comfortable enough to trust documents only to iCloud and not have them local. 

Overall Maps and Siri needs to be more intuitive to how people interact with their devices day by day, and iCloud needs to instill greater confidence and allow localized copies without heavy user interaction. 

Thanks for letting me rant :) 

Edited by Richard Getz - 5/29/13 at 10:24am
post #46 of 103
Quote:

Why? Why? You have all three of the apps? I have never used TextWrangler but I like TextMate just fine although I did have to use BBEdit once recently to open a really big file that TM choked on. It was over a gig. It was a diagnostic output from a machine. Even BBEdit took its time opening it, but it eventually did it.

Since I don't code well I just use Xcode for that. I have never used TextMate but have tried BBEdit. It was nice but just too much app that I really didn't need, especially at $50. TextWrangler is more than sufficient for my needs and it's free. Creating Cisco IOS* startup configs is pretty much all I use it for. Even the Cisco IOS Language Module for BBEdit is loadable for TextWrangler.

* It's a capital 'i' for Internetwork Operating System and predates Apple's use of iOS by at least 15 years.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #47 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Siri: 

•  Siri, rent this movie and start streaming it on my Apple TV. 

Currently I wouldn't trust Siri with my credit card or that she would rent the correct movie. She needs to be a lot smarter. For me she is batting around 500 which is pretty good for baseball but almost useless for a personal assistant.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #48 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Retina MacBook Air pleaseeeeeeeee

No one would buy a similarly sized 13" MacBook Pro w/Retina display, if the Air went Retina. Perhaps that is what you really want: the Pro Retina.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #49 of 103
Quote:

Currently I wouldn't trust Siri with my credit card or that she would rent the correct movie. She needs to be a lot smarter. For me she is batting around 500 which is pretty good for baseball but almost useless for a personal assistant.

Siri asks for confirmation...even to just send text messages or schedule reminders. If you used Siri, you would know that.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #50 of 103
I'm definitely buying a MBA this summer. I've switched from driving to biking as my primary mode of transport, and my rMBP is too heavy for carrying around. Especially in this humidity; it makes my back all sweaty.
post #51 of 103
Quote:

CC is already stored on the iTunes account so she would not have direct access to that. 

post #52 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Siri asks for confirmation...even to just send text messages or schedule reminders. If you used Siri, you would know that.

Just a poor attempt at humor on my part.

Would you like me to search the web for...? Why does she need to ask that question? Shouldn't she just do it automatically? Her constant need for confirmations can become a bit tedious. Honestly, I have pretty much given up on Siri.

I'm in California, and earlier today I asked her what the weather was like in Minneapolis because [ ] is flying there today. Siri displayed the info correctly. Then I asked Siri where the nearest Honda dealer was as I'm supposed to get her car worked on while she is gone. That came back fine as well providing dealers in California...but then she adds that "all of them are pretty far from Minneapolis". Huh? Whenever I want her to continue a series of interactions she usually forgets what we are talking about. The one time she remembers, it is completely irrelevant. Like I said, she needs to be a lot smarter.

post #53 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

CC is already stored on the iTunes account so she would not have direct access to that. 

I think his point is that using Siri buy things with such a simple command as "Siri, rent this movie and start streaming it on my Apple TV." could result in a lot of incorrect purchases which would result in a lot of issues for Apple and a drop in customer satisfaction, even if every incorrect rental was reimbursed.

post #54 of 103

Seems like everyone is in general agreement on the fixes we'd like to see. I'll add two.

1. A top to bottom review of Apps in the OS, with the aim of reducing mouse travel. Example, iTunes. All the categories are on the left. If you select Apps, there are further options across the top of the window. The critical UPDATE button is in the lower right. In iPhoto it's even worse. It'd be nice if mouse travel could be reduced. There'd be less carpal tunnel and happier mice.

2. I have adapted to everything Apple has thrown at me over the years, including reversal of the scrolling direction. But I always stumble when trying to change a document and attempting to save it with a new name. Duplicate...what's that again? Hmmm..... does it change the original? Hmm...... wait.... is autosave on?

Maybe it's age, but I'd like to have Save As... back, by default. I know I can get to it with the Option key, but the paradigm seems confusing.

I'm really excited about the upcoming previews of OS X and iOS. Apple has done the heavy lifting getting all the main goodies in there. The iPads are fun and useful and productivity boosters. Now comes the fun stuff. The tweaks. There are some big things to fix (sync) but in general, I feel like some energy can be spent on refinement and usability enhancements.

post #55 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Expect GPS and cellular capabilities on upcoming Mac lines, and higher speed wifi. Expect increasingly common features in OS X and iOS and the applications. Expect improved touch control input for Mac laptops and keyboards.

I hope so. Those would all be solid enhancements.

post #56 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Don't count it. The existence of a retina pro suggests that the Air will be their 'MacBook' and will likely never get retina displays or even huge SSDs etc

That is silly. Everything will get retina eventually. It is the future (and I hope sooner than later).
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Don't count it. The existence of a retina pro suggests that the Air will be their 'MacBook' and will likely never get retina displays or even huge SSDs etc

That is silly. Everything will get retina eventually. It is the future (and I hope sooner than later).

Exactly.

Apple always pushed for the best screens and while the pro-line kicks ass on that department, the air has been surpassed by other similar machines (screen). Apple is lucky they lose on every other metric... But a TN panel on such Machine is inexcusable. It already was when I bought mine and officially became an Appletard, October 2011.

In my opinion, they should use those resolutions of the retina models on the 11 and 13 and go IGZO on Pros, or even 4k.

post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

A direwolf. Or maybe a Lannister. :D

lol, can't wait for episode 9 this weekend.  Brace yourself for the R.W.

post #59 of 103

What I would like to see beside new iOS et OS-X:

- New retina MBA with IGZO screens, new intel CPU's. 4g or LTE build in (option)

- New MacPro

- Apple TV app store. Apple TV UI revamp.

- New Apple TV box.

Some other material than aluminum for the MBA? Carbon fibers?

post #60 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Some other material than aluminum for the MBA? Carbon fibers?
Why? Just curious.
post #61 of 103
Quote:

It's too bad she doesn't have a visual presence as well as an auditory one.  

I'm thinking that if she looked as cute as she sounds, people would forgive her lack of brains.  Kind of like the dumb, but hot waitress that spills a drink on you but you tip her anyway. 

post #62 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

True. And from everything reported so far it doesn't seem like the grid of icons or home button are going anywhere.

Well grids of icons have pretty much been the standard of all graphical OS's since the very beginning so ...  

It's kind of funny really the way people are always commenting on the "gird of icons" and hoping for "something new" but what that actually is, no one can say.  

post #63 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think his point is that using Siri buy things with such a simple command as "Siri, rent this movie and start streaming it on my Apple TV." could result in a lot of incorrect purchases which would result in a lot of issues for Apple and a drop in customer satisfaction, even if every incorrect rental was reimbursed.

LOL, true, thinking about homes with kids I can see this a lot. LIke when parents first got their kids texting bill ; )

post #64 of 103
While several people are mentioning maps- my bigger problem is when I am googling something on safari- the maps on there always take me to google maps. Ok- I understand I'm on google search, but what alternative do I have if I try to search for something and a map pops up. Do any of the search engines allow for maps the be default?

Because right now I have to copy and paste the address to get directions. Annoying to say the least.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #65 of 103
Duh
post #66 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sabertooth Tiger On A Snowboard.

To signify how they're going to start combining OS X (cats) and iOS (winter resorts).
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

They just did that this past March.  I'd be surprised to see another update so soon....   But you never know  1smile.gif
The march update was quite minor, but I would of course still like to know I have latest model.
post #67 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Careful, Marvin.

You don't want to be banned by Mods for posting pussy galore on an internet forum.

It wouldn't be the first time this could happen...

1wink.gif
post #68 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Careful, Marvin.

You don't want to be banned by Mods for posting pussy galore on an internet forum.

It wouldn't be the first time this could happen...

1wink.gif

I see Marvin's pussy and I raise him Iggy Azalea's pu$$y.

post #69 of 103
I think the surprise announcement will be an SDK for Apple TV, and associated appstore.
post #70 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's too bad she doesn't have a visual presence as well as an auditory one.  

I'm thinking that if she looked as cute as she sounds, people would forgive her lack of brains.  Kind of like the dumb, but hot waitress that spills a drink on you but you tip her anyway. 

And if Siri looked as suave and sexy as he sounds here in the UK I might be more lenient too. A bit like a cloakroom attendant that gives you the wrong belongings but is so hot that you don't complain.

post #71 of 103
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #72 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No one would buy a similarly sized 13" MacBook Pro w/Retina display, if the Air went Retina. Perhaps that is what you really want: the Pro Retina.

The new rMBA could be noticeably smaller.. The price might be a lot higher for a rMBA.
(Since they could offer two screen options).
post #73 of 103
I don't even care about retina on the MBA. Just make an 11" Air with an IPS display that can accurately deal with all of sRGB (essentially, something on par with the rMBP and iPad). The display in the current Air is horrible for colour accuracy, especially in the blues (as measured by my i1 Display Pro using Argyll CMS).

I need something light for travel photography, but I need accurate colours. I'r replace my 11" Asus with a MBA in an instant if they made one with a display as good.
post #74 of 103
Quote:

Everything will get retina eventually. It is the future (and I hope sooner than later).

Given enough time, the technology will probably become cheap enough but the Retina MBP displays are also IPS panels. It would be a bit of a waste to make such a high res display with poor viewing angles and if they used higher quality panels, the costs would be higher.

It makes sense for Apple to maintain better quality at the higher price points for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
I see Marvin's pussy and I raise him Iggy Azalea's pu$$y.

*crosses legs*

post #75 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Retina MacBook Air pleaseeeeeeeee

I don't think so.   In fact, I wonder what the future is for the Airs going forward.    While the MBPros are still very slightly thicker and a bit heavier than the Airs, they're getting so close, form factor is much less of an issue since they removed the optical drives from most of the MBP line, except perhaps for the 11" Air, since there's no equivalent Pro.    If the Airs are going to continue to exist, the main reason would be the price differential.   But the 13" Air lowest configuration is $1199, the same price as the 13" MBP.  The higher configuration is only $100 higher in the Pro.    If the Airs went Retina, they'd have to be priced very similarly to the MBP Retinas, so what's the point?    The only difference is that they still have a slight weight advantage, but it's getting pretty close.   The 13" Air is 2.96 pounds and the 13" MBP Retina is 3.57 pounds (lighter than the 4.5 pound MBP).

As for the 11" Air, I have to wonder whether the customers for that machine are primarily those who would now more likely buy an iPad.   If not, it will stick around because at $999 and $1099, it's the cheapest Mac laptop.    But if there are no longer many sales, it will be gone. 

I don't think Apple will discontinue the Airs this year because it will look bad when they haven't released any new hardware recently, but my bet is that the 13" (if not both machines) is gone within the next year.   

post #76 of 103
Quote:

Screen shot or movie poster or DVD cover and metadata of movie appear on screen.   Siri says, "Is 'The Godfather Part II' the movie you'd like to see?".     You say "yes" or "no".    See, it's really not all that hard.   

post #77 of 103

OS 10.9 Clouded Leopard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clouded_leopard

'nuff said

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #78 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I don't think so.   In fact, I wonder what the future is for the Airs going forward.    While the MBPros are still very slightly thicker and a bit heavier than the Airs, they're getting so close, form factor is much less of an issue since they removed the optical drives from most of the MBP line, except perhaps for the 11" Air, since there's no equivalent Pro.    If the Airs are going to continue to exist, the main reason would be the price differential.   But the 13" Air lowest configuration is $1199, the same price as the 13" MBP.  The higher configuration is only $100 higher in the Pro.    If the Airs went Retina, they'd have to be priced very similarly to the MBP Retinas, so what's the point?    The only difference is that they still have a slight weight advantage, but it's getting pretty close.   The 13" Air is 2.96 pounds and the 13" MBP Retina is 3.57 pounds (lighter than the 4.5 pound MBP).

As for the 11" Air, I have to wonder whether the customers for that machine are primarily those who would now more likely buy an iPad.   If not, it will stick around because at $999 and $1099, it's the cheapest Mac laptop.    But if there are no longer many sales, it will be gone. 

I don't think Apple will discontinue the Airs this year because it will look bad when they haven't released any new hardware recently, but my bet is that the 13" (if not both machines) is gone within the next year.   

When the 11" model debut in 2010, I remember visiting the Apple Store the weekend it launched and the 11" models were going FAST, while the more expensive 13" model was still in stock. Another customer who was with me at the time was cross-shopping the 11" Air with a high-end iPad.

The Air is quite capable, and makes sense if you want to run Mac applications. The iPad is a better choice for those who don't need to run specific Mac apps or do mostly typing.

I agree that Apple seems to be crowding the low-$1300 13" laptop market with three competing models (the 13" non-Retina Pro, Retina Pro, and Air), people still buy the 13" Air, and as long as demand remains, I think Apple will continue selling them. Gone by next year? I doubt it, because I think sales are even stronger than you think. The 13" Air defined the Ultrabook category, and I see them everywhere. The 13" Retina Pro doesn't quite overlap it entirely in size and weight.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #79 of 103
Quote:

The new rMBA could be noticeably smaller.. The price might be a lot higher for a rMBA.
(Since they could offer two screen options).

Yeah, I'll never say that future models couldn't remix size and weight.

It's possible that Apple might someday consolidate their laptop lines. But right now, it seems all the different Macs fill different niches. And as long as they do, even if they aren't high volume sellers, they'll stay on the market. For example: the Mac Pro is still available in North America. I can see video production houses sticking to that due to the internal storage and PCIe peripheral market.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #80 of 103
You had me at "New Macs." That is all I need to hear to be excited about an Apple keynote. When Intel moves with the new processors, it's time for Apple to put them in the new computers. Ditto for when nVidia or AMD release the graphics that are to go into the new Macs, it is time for Apple to roll them out as well.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Macs, modernized iOS expected to appear at Apple's WWDC