or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Greenpeace praises Apple's hiring of former EPA chief
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Greenpeace praises Apple's hiring of former EPA chief

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
Environmental advocacy group Greenpeace, a longtime critic of Apple's corporate policies, has come out in favor of the hiring of former U.S. Environmental Protection Agency administrator Lisa Jackson.

Green


In a statement issued on Wednesday, Greenpeace senior IT analyst Gary Cook called Apple's hiring of Jackson a "bold move," and praised her as a "proven advocate." In particular, the organization highlighted her track record in combating toxic waste and dirty energy.

"Jackson can make Apple the top environmental leader in the tech sector by helping the company use its influence to push electric utilities and governments to provide the clean energy that both Apple and America need right now," Cook said.

The comments are rare praise from Greenpeace, which took Apple to task last year for the energy consumed by its iCloud service. The organization accused Apple of lagging behind other technology companies, such as Facebook and Google, in utilizing environmentally friendly power.

Apple has countered by noting that its North Carolina data center is powered by the largest solar farm and largest fuel cell installation of any non-energy company in the nation. Greenpeace still staged protests at Apple's California headquarters and Ireland operations before the group said that Apple's environmental policies have been "significantly improved."

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook announced the hiring of Jackson this week in an interview at the D11 conference. She served as administrator of the EPA under President Barack Obama from 2009 until February of this year.

In her new position, she will oversee Apple's green initiatives, including projects like the massive solar farm accompanying its Maiden, N.C., iCloud data center.
post #2 of 52

Who really cares what Greenpeace thinks....

post #3 of 52
I'm all for the environment, but I kind of dislike Greenpeace. Greenpeace says they approve! **** them.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #4 of 52

Screw 'em. Makes me wish Apple hadn't done it. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #5 of 52
Greenpeace needs to move off of Apple and look at Google, Samsung, etc. they can go publicity whore themselves somewhere else.
post #6 of 52

Does it really matter what a bunch of criminals and hooligans who have illegally trespassed and protested on Apple's property on multiple occasions and on multiple continents thinks about Apple? If Greenpeace praises something, then chances are that I am against it.

 

And why would Apple need to hire some woman from the current scandalous administration to oversee anything at Apple? Apple is doing just fine in regards to the environment.

 

Maybe Apple just hired her because she's a Washington insider and connected, and that might help Apple deal with any criticisms or problems in the future. It seems like mostly a PR move. How much will Apple be paying her? Way too much, without a doubt.

 

And in honor of Greenpeace, I will make an effort to use more electricity than normal today. Maybe I'll turn all of my Macs on at the same time, even the old ones that I don't use much anymore. 

post #7 of 52

Woah! Stop the world.  Greeenpeace said something nice about Apple.  The end times must be near. 

post #8 of 52

It's a steamy greenpiece of s&#t

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


And in honor of Greenpeace, I will make an effort to use more electricity than normal today. Maybe I'll turn all of my Macs on at the same time, even the old ones that I don't use much anymore. 

Go ahead and waste money and electricity. I can't stand people who do things against the environment to try and prove a point against greenpeace.
I in no way agree with Greenpeace or condone what they do, but we should take care of our environment. Recycling, not littering, making conscious decisions when purchasing products, such as Apple products; all these contribute to a better environment.
Apple is making a smart decision here, continuing to be a leader in green technology and green products.
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Does it really matter what a bunch of criminals and hooligans who have illegally trespassed and protested on Apple's property on multiple occasions and on multiple continents thinks about Apple? If Greenpeace praises something, then chances are that I am against it.

 

And why would Apple need to hire some woman from the current scandalous administration to oversee anything at Apple? Apple is doing just fine in regards to the environment.

 

Maybe Apple just hired her because she's a Washington insider and connected, and that might help Apple deal with any criticisms or problems in the future. It seems like mostly a PR move. How much will Apple be paying her? Way too much, without a doubt.

 

And in honor of Greenpeace, I will make an effort to use more electricity than normal today. Maybe I'll turn all of my Macs on at the same time, even the old ones that I don't use much anymore. 

 

You forgot to add ... "And you kids get off of my lawn!!!" 1smile.gif

 

Seriously, the world must look like a big pile of shit from your (eternally negative) point of view.  You say this stuff about Greenpeace "criminals" every time the topic comes up even though it's been pointed out to you many times that the "criminals" you are thinking of is EarthFirst and the Sea Shepard Society, not Greenpeace.  

 

Aside from trespassing, Greenpeace has never engaged in criminal activity.  It was founded by a group of Quakers for cripes sake.  

 

Only recently (with the campaign against Apple) has Greenpeace regularly started using underhanded tactics, and even then they are more along the lines of character assassination than criminal activity.  The original Greenpeace was a peaceful, law-abiding group of conscientious protesters who used non-violent demonstrations to elevate issues in the public sphere.  Now they are a many times smaller group of hipster douchebags with no sense of right and wrong, but even so ... still not criminals. 

post #11 of 52
I'm surprised GreenPeace didn't take credit.
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post


Go ahead and waste money and electricity. I can't stand people who do things against the environment to try and prove a point against greenpeace.
I in no way agree with Greenpeace or condone what they do, but we should take care of our environment. Recycling, not littering, making conscious decisions when purchasing products, such as Apple products; all these contribute to a better environment.
Apple is making a smart decision here, continuing to be a leader in green technology and green products.

 

Even if somebody runs 10+ Macs for 24 hours, that's probably only around a buck or two (depending on where somebody lives of course), and the small satisfaction that it brings me is easily worth some pocket change that means nothing to me. It's not like I am one of those "green" hypocrites flying around all over the world preaching doom and gloom, based on unproven science.

 

As for purchasing the right products, I agree. I always try to avoid "green" drives and most other devices that have "green" stickers on them and products that are advertised as such. They might as well put a sticker on it, stating "don't buy me".

 

As for if Apple made the right decision here, that remains to be seen. Apple hasn't been lacking when it comes to any environmental issues.

post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

You forgot to add ... "And you kids get off of my lawn!!!" 1smile.gif

 

Seriously, the world must look like a big pile of shit from your (eternally negative) point of view.  You say this stuff about Greenpeace "criminals" every time the topic comes up even though it's been pointed out to you many times that the "criminals" you are thinking of is EarthFirst and the Sea Shepard Society, not Greenpeace.  

 

Aside from trespassing, Greenpeace has never engaged in criminal activity.  It was founded by a group of Quakers for cripes sake.  

 

Only recently (with the campaign against Apple) has Greenpeace regularly started using underhanded tactics, and even then they are more along the lines of character assassination than criminal activity.  The original Greenpeace was a peaceful, law-abiding group of conscientious protesters who used non-violent demonstrations to elevate issues in the public sphere.  Now they are a many times smaller group of hipster douchebags with no sense of right and wrong, but even so ... still not criminals. 

 

You keep mentioning the Greenpeace of the past, and that's very nice and all, but we are of course talking about the Greenpeace of today.

 

And trespassing can definitely be criminal in nature, there is something called criminal trespassing. They also posted some signs on Apple's property, that is vandalism. Greenpeace is also guilty of lying about Apple, and they should consider themselves lucky that Apple has not sued them for slander and libel.

post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 Apple is doing just fine in regards to the environment.

 

 

It isn't about Apple not doing enough to save electricity since they are already one of the most environmentally conscientious corporations around. The praise was because they see Lisa Jackson as an environmental activist who will perhaps try to make Apple an example for other corporations to follow. 

 

Quote:


And in honor of Greenpeace, I will make an effort to use more electricity than normal today. 

 

It makes perfect sense. I'll alert the media.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

 

It isn't about Apple not doing enough to save electricity since they are already one of the most environmentally conscientious corporations around. The praise was because they see Lisa Jackson as an environmental activist who will perhaps try to make Apple an example for other corporations to follow. 

 

And that's precisely why I am skeptical about the hiring, because activists can be quite extreme in their ideology, where insane beliefs and nonsense trumps everything else, including costs. There are many good reasons as to why the whole world is not yet running exclusively on windmill power, solar power or other forms of sustainable energy.

 

And just for the record, I am not against the environment and I don't walk around polluting and leaving a trail of garbage everywhere that I go just to make a point. I happen to like things like Tesla (I like their stock too), and I think of those cars as being SSDs, compared to gas guzzling cars, which I consider to be mechanical hard drives.

post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Does it really matter what a bunch of criminals and hooligans who have illegally trespassed and protested on Apple's property on multiple occasions and on multiple continents thinks about Apple? If Greenpeace praises something, then chances are that I am against it.

 

And why would Apple need to hire some woman from the current scandalous administration to oversee anything at Apple? Apple is doing just fine in regards to the environment.

 

Maybe Apple just hired her because she's a Washington insider and connected, and that might help Apple deal with any criticisms or problems in the future. It seems like mostly a PR move. How much will Apple be paying her? Way too much, without a doubt.

 

And in honor of Greenpeace, I will make an effort to use more electricity than normal today. Maybe I'll turn all of my Macs on at the same time, even the old ones that I don't use much anymore. 

 

You forgot to add ... "And you kids get off of my lawn!!!" 1smile.gif

 

Seriously, the world must look like a big pile of shit from your (eternally negative) point of view.  You say this stuff about Greenpeace "criminals" every time the topic comes up even though it's been pointed out to you many times that the "criminals" you are thinking of is EarthFirst and the Sea Shepard Society, not Greenpeace.  

 

Aside from trespassing, Greenpeace has never engaged in criminal activity.  It was founded by a group of Quakers for cripes sake.  

 

Only recently (with the campaign against Apple) has Greenpeace regularly started using underhanded tactics, and even then they are more along the lines of character assassination than criminal activity.  The original Greenpeace was a peaceful, law-abiding group of conscientious protesters who used non-violent demonstrations to elevate issues in the public sphere.  Now they are a many times smaller group of hipster douchebags with no sense of right and wrong, but even so ... still not criminals. 

Seriously.... You guys are trying to talk rationality to some whack job?

Give it up.

post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

And that's precisely why I am skeptical about the hiring, because activists can be quite extreme in their ideology, [...]

Sounds to me like you are back pedaling. First you're outraged and protesting by wasting electricity. Now you are merely skeptical.

 

Sometimes it helps to read the article before going on a rant.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds to me like you are back pedaling. First you're outraged and protesting by wasting electricity. Now you are merely skeptical.

 

Sometimes it helps to read the article before going on a rant.

Two separate subjects. The article is about Greenpeace praising Apple, and then there is the actual hiring of that woman.

post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Green

I don't buy it. A Mini or MBA use considerably less power than a 13 W CFL bulb? Heck, the CPU alone in either of those draws more than 13 W.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3468?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
According to Apple, it draws 11 W at idle. So 13 W is close to being at idle - which is not 'using' the computer. You might as well consider how much power the CFL draws when it's turned off.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #20 of 52

Apple needed to have someone left to fill the position while they move the rest of their enironmental group to iOS development.

post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Two separate subjects. The article is about Greenpeace praising Apple, and then there is the actual hiring of that woman.

Two separate subjects? Yeah right. Why on Earth did AI put two such differing subjects into a single article?

 

...hiring of that woman? Sounds like her gender is another huge concern for you.

 

Let's summarize:

 

Greenpeace sucks

 

Current administration sucks

 

Environmentalist suck

 

Energy efficient product sucks

 

Women suck

 

Did I forget anything?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't buy it. A Mini or MBA use considerably less power than a 13 W CFL bulb? Heck, the CPU alone in either of those draws more than 13 W.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3468?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
According to Apple, it draws 11 W at idle. So 13 W is close to being at idle - which is not 'using' the computer. You might as well consider how much power the CFL draws when it's turned off.

You might be looking at this wrong. Consider that a lightbulb in use for an hour is using the same amount of power for each minute and each second, but a computing device has a varying power requirements for its operation under normal use in the average hour. The best way to consider this is how much power it draws in an hour under normal use, not what the CPU is rated it at idle or in use. I'd say that being slightly below a 13W bulb for the average hour use isn't unbelievable. Perhaps AnandTech has some hard numbers.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Did I forget anything?

 

I'll make it simple for you.

 

I am outraged by Greenpeace's praise of Apple and I am extremely skeptical of Apple's hiring of that woman. If the hiring turns out to be a disaster, like when Apple hired that British guy to take over Apple retail, then I will be outraged at Apple, when that time comes.

post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Two separate subjects? Yeah right. Why on Earth did AI put two such differing subjects into a single article?

 

...hiring of that woman? Sounds like her gender is another huge concern for you.

 

Let's summarize:

 

Greenpeace sucks

 

Current administration sucks

 

Environmentalist suck

 

Energy efficient product sucks

 

Women suck

 

Did I forget anything?

 

Yeah, anyone who buys an Android OS-based device is a nincompoop.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

 

Yeah, anyone who buys an Android OS-based device is a nincompoop.

Well, I certainly can't disagree with that.

post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I happen to like things like Tesla (I like their stock too)......

Really? Despite the fact that Tesla uses Android interface for its dashboard, and took $565M in stimulus money from the US Dept of Energy?
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post


Let's summarize:

Greenpeace sucks

Current administration sucks

Environmentalist suck

Energy efficient product sucks

Women suck

Did I forget anything?

In all fairness, he only said the first two.

The rest appears to be a function of your interpretation/imagination.
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

You wouldn't happen to have worked on the Mitt Romney campaign would you?

Oh please.... 47%* of the country voted for him.


*A somewhat ironic number, however.....
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I don't buy it. A Mini or MBA use considerably less power than a 13 W CFL bulb? Heck, the CPU alone in either of those draws more than 13 W.

I think it's impossible that Apple would fudge such an easily verifiable number.

If they did something like that, I'd have trouble believing their far more serious numbers!
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Really? Despite the fact that Tesla uses Android interface for its dashboard, and took $565M in stimulus money from the US Dept of Energy?

I didn't know about the Android dashboard, that's certainly troubling.

 

Last week Tesla repaid the entire loan back, 9 years ahead of schedule.

 

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/autos/tesla-loan-repayment/

 

Tesla doesn't seem to be a "Solyndra" type failure, like many of the other "green" companies that the government has been wasting taxpayer dollars on.

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Last week Tesla repaid the entire loan back, 9 years ahead of schedule.

 

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/autos/tesla-loan-repayment/

 

Tesla doesn't seem to be a "Solyndra" type failure, like many of the other "green" companies that the government has been wasting taxpayer dollars on.

OK, so that I understand better, you've just admitted your issue is not with the government bailout, but whether the business succeeded or not? 

 

So, do you only buy stocks that go up? (That's a trick question: I know the answer. 1wink.gif)

post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK, so that I understand better, you've just admitted your issue is not with the government bailout, but whether the business succeeded or not? 

 

So, do you only buy stocks that go up? (That's a trick question: I know the answer. 1wink.gif)

 

I am against bailout money, but as I understand it, the Tesla money was not bailout money, but merely a low interest loan, under a program that was actually started under Bush. I support initiatives that will get us off of oil, not primarily because of environmental issues, but because of security issues and to lessen the reliance on crappy countries for our oil and energy needs.

 

From wiki:

 

The low-interest loans are not related to the "bailout" funds that GM and Chrysler have received, nor are they related to the 2009 economic stimulus package. The Department of Energy loan program was created in 2007 during the George Bush administration in order to get more fuel-efficient vehicle options to U.S. consumers and to decrease the country's dependence on foreign oil.[52] Tesla repaid the loan to theU.S. government, in full, in May 2013. Tesla is the first car company to have fully repaid the government, while FordNissan and Fisker have not.[53]

post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

So I guess apple is going off the idle power.

I don't follow what you mean, sorry.

 

Are you saying Apple is reporting it correctly or it is not? What is the implication of "going off the idle power"? Is there some other way that they should/could have reported it?

post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

So I guess apple is going off the idle power.

I don't follow what you mean, sorry.

 

Are you saying Apple is reporting it correctly or it is not? What is the implication of "going off the idle power"? Is there some other way that they should/could have reported it?

 

The explanation is missing for the graphic in question. From the actual webpage:

 

Quote:
*Calculated while system is idle and has completed loading its operating system; for products with displays, the display is set to its full brightness. Assumes CO2e emissions generated from an average mix of power grids in the U.S. See our Product Environmental Reports for detailed power consumption information by product.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


You're just grasping at straws at this point. And the wiki entry you quote is plain nonsense. You and your wiki quote can call it what you will, but they were **all** bailouts -- or they were **all** not.

There is little qualitative difference between what Tesla got and what Solyndra got. Indeed, Solyndra's 'bailout' may be even milder, since what they really got was a loan guarantee (that enabled them to borrow cheaper), not even a loan. If Tesla had gone bankrupt -- as unfortunately, Solyndra did -- the taxpayers would have been on the hook in an exactly similar fashion. Btw, Tesla got its loan in 2010, about the same time as Solyndra. And the fact that the program started under Bush means nothing at all, since most of the bailouts started under Bush.

GM has also paid back its loan, in full, many years ahead of its maturity. So what? (I am not sure about Chrysler, but I think they have paid it back too ahead of schedule. Btw, the irony was that Chrysler was owned by private equity fund headed by Republican Dan Quayle and Bush's ex-secretary of treasury, John Snow).

You're just dissembling.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The explanation is missing for the graphic in question. From the actual webpage:

 

Quote:
*Calculated while system is idle and has completed loading its operating system; for products with displays, the display is set to its full brightness.

Thanks.

 

So, that does seem like a bit of a bogus calculation on Apple's part?

post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The explanation is missing for the graphic in question. From the actual webpage:

 

Quote:
*Calculated while system is idle and has completed loading its operating system; for products with displays, the display is set to its full brightness.

Thanks.

 

So, that does seem like a bit of a bogus calculation on Apple's part?

 

Since it represents the absolute minimum power usage it does seem a bit unrealistic. It would be interesting to measure the average usage over a day or so for comparison. 

post #38 of 52

Poor Al Gore.   No one takes him cereal anymore.

 

Even having him on the board wasn't enough "green cred" to get the big bad corporate Apple a pass with the enviro-terrorist crowd.

 

If hiring the former EPA head does not work, next they will have to hire Man-Bear-Pig.

post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Since it represents the absolute minimum power usage it does seem a bit unrealistic. It would be interesting to measure the average usage over a day or so for comparison. 

I agree with you that it's unrealistic but they do state the display is at full brightness. Mentioning that makes me assume they aren't talking about a display that is asleep. Aren't power levels for smartphones and tablets done at about half-way for battery length tests?

How do you measure the CPU if your apps are already loaded into RAM and the CPU load varies? As I'm writing this I'm lucky to see 10% from iStat Menus for my CPU load. What would that be in an hour or a day.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #40 of 52
Wow... Detecting a lot of exploding liquid dinosaur shareholders in here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Greenpeace praises Apple's hiring of former EPA chief