or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung, Google to scale back giant screen sizes on new Android phones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung, Google to scale back giant screen sizes on new Android phones

post #1 of 134
Thread Starter 
While Apple has been the subject of incessant queries wondering when it will follow Samsung and Google's Motorola subsidiary in making a big screen iPhone, both Android licensees are now planning new phones with screens closer in size to iPhone 5.

Android scales back the big



Samsung is releasing two "mini" 4.3 inch variants of its flagship Galaxy S4, reports BGR, one called the G4 Zoom with a 16MP camera, and another which launched today as the G4 mini.

While both new devices will have a screen much closer in size to Apple's 4 inch iPhone 5 released last year, they will be equipped with a "qHD" resolution of 960-by-540 pixels, considerably less than the 5's Retina Display at 1136-by-640 pixels, and even slightly less than the 960-by-640 pixel iPhone 4 released in 2010.

Last October, Samsung similarly launched a mini version of its S3 (depicted below), equipped with a 4 inch screen but an even lower resolution of 800x480 and a camera limited to 5MP captures. The product was unveiled under the headline "how big small can be."


Galaxy


Galaxy S3 Mini mockup next to full-sized model via Mobile Geeks.


Google's influence at Motorola is also resulting in a shift from "bigger is better" to simply "better is better," according to a report by Sascha Segan of PC Mag.

"We've been spending the past eight months on this next generation of phones, and we've all seen positive feedback and collaboration around things," the report cited Motorola's design chief Jim Wicks as saying.

He added, "Certain people like a large screen. But there's a sweet spot for consumers that we're currently exceeding in the market. There are some people that like a big display, but there's also a lot of people that want something that's just about right. I think 'just right' is important, and we're designing so we don't disappoint those people."

Segan described the news of smaller phones from Motorola as "music to my ears" and stated that Motorola is "the only Android phone maker I've spoken to recently that's willing to push back against the current trend of larger and larger phones."

When bigger isn't better, but smaller is even worse



Writing for Gigaom, Kevin C. Tofel similarly asked "one has to wonder how big 'too big' is. At this rate, could Android smartphones outgrow their user base as one-handed phone use disappears?"

Rather than just discussing screen size trends, Taylor Martin of the PhoneDog blog noted that among Android licensees, smaller screen size offerings are tied to lower end phones.

"What's so hard about making smaller high-end phones?" he asked, noting that Apple's iPhone 5 is "the only high-end smartphone smaller than 4.3-inches."iPhone 5 is "the only high-end smartphone smaller than 4.3-inches."

Addressing Samsung's Galaxy S3 mini offering released after iPhone 5, Martin stated that "the only resemblance the Galaxy S III mini has to its larger sibling is the name and outward design. Specifications are far from the original, making many scratch their heads as to why this device is even considered a miniature version of the S III, or why it has the 'S' branding to begin with."

He added, "if you want an Android device smaller than 4.3-inches, although whatever device you choose will undoubtedly be easier on your wallet, you're looking to take a serious hit in performance, capabilities and quality."

Apple says it's paid to know best



Prodded to reveal his company's product plans for larger screens in the Android mold, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook answered that "a large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs.


Tim Cook


Apple CEO Tim Cook interviewed at D11. | Source: AllThingsD


"Customers are clearly looking at the size," he said, "but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color?' The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life, the longevity of the display."

Cook then stated that Apple's customers want the company to study those factors and make well considered decisions as to what is "best." So far, this has resulted in just one change to the iPhone's screen size across six years.

Rather than just steadily increasing the screen sizes of its mobile devices (as Apple has done for more than three decades of desktop computers and notebooks, and across a range of flagship iPods sold over the past decade) the company has held onto offering just a very limited number of form factors for its iOS devices.

This is not because the company does not know how to make larger devices.

Apple's first handheld device, the Newton MessagePad, originally sported a 5.2 inch screen when it debuted nearly twenty years ago in late 1993. Subsequent models got smaller screens measuring 4.5 inches, with a final batch sporting 6.1 inch displays before the PDA line was canceled by Steve Jobs in 1998.

If Apple wanted to make 6 inch devices, it wouldn't need to look to Samsung for ideas on how to do this. It could look back into its own rather ancient history of mini-tablets that ultimately didn't sell well.

It's also noteworthy that, when Samsung tried to make a Tablet PC ten years later in partnership with Microsoft, the results were so poor that when CNET pitted the 2006 Samsung Q1 against a 1997 Apple Newton MessagePad 2000, it awarded the decade old Newton as the overall winner.

Newton timeline


Nine years after canceling the MessagePad, Apple returned to full screen handheld devices with the 3.5 inch iPhone and iPod touch. It then released a 9.7 inch iPad in 2010. Over the last year, Apple introduced its 4 inch iPhone 5 (and matching iPod touch) and a new 7.9 inch iPad mini.

iOS devices


Apple thinks about apps



The new iOS devices were designed to work seamlessly with existing iOS apps, with little or no developer modifications needed to avoid stretching or scaling images or content on the screen.

Apple's tight integration between its hardware releases and its apps ecosystem is markedly different than the offerings of Android hardware licensees like Samsung, which now offers a bewildering range of smartphone, phablet and tablet sizes and resolutions, none of which are really optimized to run either mobile or tablet apps.



This results in poor utilization of the extra screen size when running apps on Android tablets and very large smartphones, as Apple's head of product marketing Phil Schiller drew attention to at the release of iPad mini last fall.

Schiller noted a "night and day" difference between tablet-optimized iPad apps and the stretched smartphone apps that work on Android tablets (above, TripAdvisor on both).
post #2 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple has been the subject of incessant queries wondering when it will follow Samsung and Google's Motorola subsidiary in making a big screen iPhone, both Android licensees are now planning new phones with screens closer in size to iPhone 5.p=24360">G4 mini. .

Why does AI's side-by-side "S3/S3 Mini size comparison" look so different from the image they copied from MobileGeeks? Someone at AI did a bit of purposeful alteration perhaps? Some strange re-sizing accidentally took place on just half the image when it was imported?

http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

EDIT: After a bit of research on old AI articles I remember this came up last year and the same point was made then: Daniel didn't use the available MG image at the time but instead clipped an incorrect version what might have been up for a day or two. He didn't bother to correct it last year when he was made aware and didn't care to do so this year either. . . yet. No doubt he'll do so now, right?

EDIT 2: 24 hours later and the same misleading incorrect image still in place. Daniels' probably just been busy tho. He'll fix it. . . soon.

EDIT 3: Aha! The right image is finally posted.
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/6/13 at 9:21am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #3 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Why does AI's side-by-side "S3/S3 Mini size comparison" look so different from the image they copied from MobileGeeks? Someone at AI did a bit of purposeful alteration perhaps? Some strange re-sizing accidentally took place on just half the image when it was imported?

http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

Nice catch! :)

 

Pls read the edited comment of Gatorguy.


Edited by Chandra69 - 5/30/13 at 5:52am
post #4 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Nice catch! 1smile.gif

Since honesty and integrity are demonstratively important to Daniel Eran Dilger he'll no doubt get rid of that incorrect comparison and insert the more accurate and current one from Mobile Geeks. I can't imagine he'd leave a flawed one up after being made aware of it. 1hmm.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 5/30/13 at 4:13am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #5 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Why does AI's side-by-side "S3/S3 Mini size comparison" look so different from the image they copied from MobileGeeks? Someone at AI did a bit of purposeful alteration perhaps? Some strange re-sizing accidentally took place on just half the image when it was imported?

http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

The alteration appears to have occurred on the MobileGeeks site as the watermarks don't match.  Pay attention if you're going to make accusations.

post #6 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Since honesty and integrity are demonstratively important to Daniel Eran Dilger he'll no doubt get rid of that "accidently altered" comparison and insert the real one from Mobile Geeks. I can't imagine he'd leave a fake one up after being made aware of it. 1hmm.gif

Again, pay attention.  The Mobile Geeks version is altered.  And it's a Mobile Geeks watermark -- they altered their own photo?


Edited by cpr1 - 5/30/13 at 4:14am
post #7 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

Again, pay attention.  The Mobile Geeks version is altered.

You mean they altered their own mockup to fix their mistake last October when they were made aware of it? It's not a picture of the actual phone, but just what they thought it would look side-by-side with the S3 once it was released? Who'd a thunk that! The current image at Mobile Geeks is the correct one. The AI version that DED would prefer to stick with is not, and certainly not the one you get when you click the link under the AI image.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153273/lightbox/post/2209027/id/14262
Edited by Gatorguy - 5/30/13 at 4:29am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 134
Before we declare this a victory for the 4" screen, can we agree that it is wise to cover both segments of the market? I am hoping my switch to this POS Android OS is only temporary!

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply
post #9 of 134
Look at those beautiful Android icons on the home screens.

They just ooze style, class, and refinement.
The problem with posting nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence on the internet is that it takes away all the mystique...
Reply
The problem with posting nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence on the internet is that it takes away all the mystique...
Reply
post #10 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


You mean they altered their own mockup to fix their mistake last October when they were made aware of it? It's not a picture of the actual phone, but just what they thought it would look side-by-side with the S3 once it was released? Who'd a thunk that! The current image at Mobile Geeks is the correct one. The AI version that DED would prefer to stick with is not, and certainly not the one you get when you click the link under the AI image.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153273/lightbox/post/2209027/id/14262

You are correct -- it is a mockup and not the actual phone.  But your accusation was that they physically altered the MG photo when, in fact, they did not.  What they have chosen to do is use the original, incorrect, comparison by MG and, yes, that's disingenuous at best.

post #11 of 134
edit
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #12 of 134

Dilger's twisted logic amazes again.

 

Samsung introduces a new model, which has a smaller screen than the S3 and Motorola mentions a new model that will have a smaller screen than the S3, and this is twisted to imply that both manufacturers have decided larger screened phones are a mistake and that they have abandoned them.  Then by mentioning Cook's defense of not having a larger screened model, we arrive at the right-thinking conclusion that the iP5 is perfect for everyone.

 

Thing is, Samsung, which is the only Android phone manufacturer that matters, hasn't abandoned larger screens, nor do they think they were a mistake, nor do the considerable sales of the S3 and Notes indicate that consumers think any such thing.

 

I suspect that the real reason Motorola and Apple aren't currently making larger screened models is the difficulty in sourcing adequate supplies of large displays with very fine dot pitch.

 

The only real logic that will determine if larger screened phones are a mistake or not is 'ka-ching' logic, not Dilger logic. 

post #13 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


You mean they altered their own mockup to fix their mistake last October when they were made aware of it? It's not a picture of the actual phone, but just what they thought it would look side-by-side with the S3 once it was released? Who'd a thunk that! The current image at Mobile Geeks is the correct one. The AI version that DED would prefer to stick with is not, and certainly not the one you get when you click the link under the AI image.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153273/lightbox/post/2209027/id/14262

 

This is getting a little ridiculous when GG is calling people out on whether they are being honest or not. Of course, he's had to retract his first accusations and is now hunkered down in speculation regarding the inner workings of DED's mind, his hopes, wants and desires. I don't know, it seems pretty close to those personal attacks he deprecates in the signature he uses as a sort of permanent personal attack on jragosta. Well, there's always been one kind of thinking that GG was eager to embrace, and that's hypocrisy.

 

I suggest that​​ TS change GG's little label to "Fornicador de Verdade".

post #14 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

You are correct -- it is a mockup and not the actual phone.  But your accusation was that they physically altered the MG photo when, in fact, they did not.  What they have chosen to do is use the original, incorrect, comparison by MG and, yes, that's disingenuous at best.

Yes I went back and edited my first response after figuring out what DED was doing. He obviously wasn't showing the image that his link under the pic said he was. Clicking it proves that. Perhaps he didn't realize he was using his own favored image, one that hasn't been available at MG since last fall (and that can't be linked since it doesn't exist), and promptly corrected by Mobile Geeks as soon as they were made aware of their error.

If DED wasn't aware back then he was using a flawed size comparison image he was certainly made aware since. Maybe "Corrections" can bring it to his attention again as I'm sure he wouldn't want to leave an obvious mistake in place.
Edited by Gatorguy - 5/30/13 at 5:21am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #15 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Dilger's twisted logic amazes again.

 

Samsung introduces a new model, which has a smaller screen than the S3 and Motorola mentions a new model that will have a smaller screen than the S3, and this is twisted to imply that both manufacturers have decided larger screened phones are a mistake and that they have abandoned them.  Then by mentioning Cook's defense of not having a larger screened model, we arrive at the right-thinking conclusion that the iP5 is perfect for everyone.

 

Thing is, Samsung, which is the only Android phone manufacturer that matters, hasn't abandoned larger screens, nor do they think they were a mistake, nor do the considerable sales of the S3 and Notes indicate that consumers think any such thing.

 

I suspect that the real reason Motorola and Apple aren't currently making larger screened models is the difficulty in sourcing adequate supplies of large displays with very fine dot pitch.

 

The only real logic that will determine if larger screened phones are a mistake or not is 'ka-ching' logic, not Dilger logic. 

The real reason Samsung doesn't have an high end device with smaller screen is related with their lack of talent and capability to produce that sort of offering, otherwise, they would do it. Samsung has no values, no principles and produce or copy everything and then see what sticks.

 

On the other hand, Apple already explained their reasons. There's not a true high quality device out there with a big screen, besides the HTC one (maybe), and HTC can't produce them to save themselves. All others have huge tradeoffs. The less tradeoffs, the less they sell... Funny.

post #16 of 134
One's high end phone is another persons piece of tat. Am sure the public will just buy the size that suits them.
post #17 of 134

But specs dont matter! lol.

I'm confused by this article. Android had always had a variety of screen sizes to choose from, they still do. My coworker has a Razr M which is smaller android phone. I agree though that some companies (Samsung, LG) are taking sizes to whole new ridiculous levels.

post #18 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

The real reason Samsung doesn't have an high end device with smaller screen is related with their lack of talent and capability to produce that sort of offering, otherwise, they would do it. Samsung has no values, no principles and produce or copy everything and then see what sticks.

 

On the other hand, Apple already explained their reasons. There's not a true high quality device out there with a big screen, besides the HTC one (maybe), and HTC can't produce them to save themselves. All others have huge tradeoffs. The less tradeoffs, the less they sell... Funny.

 

Android phones went to big screens to camouflage big batteries. It also, as you point out, allows them to avoid the engineering effort to reduce the space required for other components. Lazy engineering all around, including poor power management. Let's not pretend it had anything to do with "offering what consumers wanted".

post #19 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

But specs dont matter! lol.
I'm confused by this article. Android had always had a variety of screen sizes to choose from, they still do. My coworker has a Razr M which is smaller android phone. I agree though that some companies (Samsung, LG) are taking sizes to whole new ridiculous levels.

In the case of Samsung even their S4 Mini still has a larger screen than the iPhone 5. Perhaps Mini is in the eye of the beholder.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #20 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

But specs dont matter! lol.
I'm confused by this article. Android had always had a variety of screen sizes to choose from, they still do. My coworker has a Razr M which is smaller android phone. I agree though that some companies (Samsung, LG) are taking sizes to whole new ridiculous levels.

In the case of Samsung even their S4 Mini still has a larger screen than the iPhone 5. Perhaps Mini is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, a screen that is bitch slapped on every way by the iPhone 4. That says everything that needs to be said.

post #21 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

You are correct -- it is a mockup and not the actual phone.  But your accusation was that they physically altered the MG photo when, in fact, they did not.  What they have chosen to do is use the original, incorrect, comparison by MG and, yes, that's disingenuous at best.

Yes I went back and edited my first response after figuring out what DED was doing. He obviously wasn't showing the image that his link under the pic said he was. Clicking it proves that. Perhaps he didn't realize he was using his own favored image, one that hasn't been available at MG since last fall (and that can't be linked since it doesn't exist), and promptly corrected by Mobile Geeks as soon as they were made aware of their error.

If DED wasn't aware back then he was using a flawed size comparison image he was certainly made aware since. Maybe "Corrections" can bring it to his attention again as I'm sure he wouldn't want to leave an obvious mistake in place.

Move along.....
post #22 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Perhaps he didn't realize he was using his own favored image, one that hasn't been available at MG since last fall (and that can't be linked since it doesn't exist), and promptly corrected by Mobile Geeks as soon as they were made aware of their error.
 

 

You have been caught out. Get off your fucking high horse of truth.

 

It exists.

post #23 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

You have been caught out. Get off your fucking high horse of truth.

It exists.

Hey thanks for that. So Mobile Geeks still offers the image that DED uses? I can't find it there. The only one I found was the one the DED supposedly linked which doesn't match the one he posted. No matter of course. The one in this article is wrong and will be replaced as soon as Daniel gets a chance to do so.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #24 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Why does AI's side-by-side "S3/S3 Mini size comparison" look so different from the image they copied from MobileGeeks? Someone at AI did a bit of purposeful alteration perhaps? Some strange re-sizing accidentally took place on just half the image when it was imported?

http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

EDIT: After a bit of research on old AI articles I remember this came up last year and the same point was made then: Daniel didn't use the available MG image at the time but instead clipped an incorrect version what might have been up for a day or two. He didn't bother to correct it last year when he was made aware and didn't care to do so this year either. . . yet. No doubt he'll do so now, right?

Seriously, who gives a sh*t?

 

Samsung only makes cheap junk like this to artificially inflate sales shipment figures of Galaxy 'S' branded handsets to further blur the distinction of how many high end phones they actually sell.

 

The Galaxy 2 Mini didn't carry over the 'S'.

 

Here's another Galaxy lower specced but still counted as a smartphone sale shipment.

 

Samsung has now released over 174 Galaxy branded devices.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #25 of 134
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post
Before we declare this a victory for the 4" screen, can we agree that it is wise to cover both segments of the market? 

 

No. We can agree that making a phone for el cheapos alongside a proper high-end phone is an OPTION, but "wise" depends on a lot more than the existence of said option in the hands of a bunch of idiots.


I am hoping my switch to this POS Android OS is only temporary!

 

Why move at all, then? My stars.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #26 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Dilger's twisted logic amazes again.

Samsung introduces a new model, which has a smaller screen than the S3 and Motorola mentions a new model that will have a smaller screen than the S3, and this is twisted to imply that both manufacturers have decided larger screened phones are a mistake and that they have abandoned them.  Then by mentioning Cook's defense of not having a larger screened model, we arrive at the right-thinking conclusion that the iP5 is perfect for everyone.

Thing is, Samsung, which is the only Android phone manufacturer that matters, hasn't abandoned larger screens, nor do they think they were a mistake, nor do the considerable sales of the S3 and Notes indicate that consumers think any such thing.

I suspect that the real reason Motorola and Apple aren't currently making larger screened models is the difficulty in sourcing adequate supplies of large displays with very fine dot pitch.

The only real logic that will determine if larger screened phones are a mistake or not is 'ka-ching' logic, not Dilger logic. 

You could also infer that Samsung cannot make a smaller phone with the same screen quality, performance and battery life as the iPhone 5 at that size. Perhaps a larger screen is installed because a bigger battery is needed?
post #27 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


The one in this article is wrong and will be replaced as soon as Daniel gets a chance to do so.

 

Well for your sake I hope not. Then you can continue derailing this thread by making a mountain out of a mini. 

post #28 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Dilger's twisted logic amazes again.

Samsung introduces a new model, which has a smaller screen than the S3 and Motorola mentions a new model that will have a smaller screen than the S3, and this is twisted to imply that both manufacturers have decided larger screened phones are a mistake and that they have abandoned them.  Then by mentioning Cook's defense of not having a larger screened model, we arrive at the right-thinking conclusion that the iP5 is perfect for everyone.

"Perfect" size is perhaps not the right word.... Perhaps "market sweet spot"?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 134

So did Samsung discontinue their Note line, or do they continue to offer a diverse range of products and this article is just grasping for something to fill space?

post #30 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post


You could also infer that Samsung cannot make a smaller phone with the same screen quality, performance and battery life as the iPhone 5 at that size. Perhaps a larger screen is installed because a bigger battery is needed?


Well I didn't make that inference, probably because my current phone is a Samsung Wave S8500, so I know that none of those things is true.

post #31 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Why does AI's side-by-side "S3/S3 Mini size comparison" look so different from the image they copied from MobileGeeks? Someone at AI did a bit of purposeful alteration perhaps? Some strange re-sizing accidentally took place on just half the image when it was imported?

http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

EDIT: After a bit of research on old AI articles I remember this came up last year and the same point was made then: Daniel didn't use the available MG image at the time but instead clipped an incorrect version what might have been up for a day or two. He didn't bother to correct it last year when he was made aware and didn't care to do so this year either. . . yet. No doubt he'll do so now, right?

 

DED likes to fit reality around his argument rather than the other way around. I've pointed out basic factual errors in the past and he never bothers to correct anything that doesn't enhance his argument.

 

Ironically, he posts under the pseudonym 'Corrections' on the AI forums.

post #32 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post


You could also infer that Samsung cannot make a smaller phone with the same screen quality, performance and battery life as the iPhone 5 at that size. Perhaps a larger screen is installed because a bigger battery is needed?

Your suggestion that Samsung uses a larger screen _because_ they need a larger battery would make sense if as the display size increases, battery life increases faster than the energy requirements of the screen. But if that were the case, why did Tim Cook mention battery life as a possible tradeoff of having a larger screen?

post #33 of 134
I loved this article. I have spent some time trying to see which of the Ssmsung Phablet fits better and use with one hand. This helps me narrow down my conclusion that the iPhone size is perfect for me. I believe this is in line with what Steve Jobs has said. "The Customer always is not aware of what he wants" as far as technology is concerned.

Good Work.

Regards
post #34 of 134
The snapdragon in this has near enough the exact same licensed dual ARM CPU as in the iPhone(Krait = Swift), just a lot faster in Mhz. So whilst this is called low end, it is simply new low end.
post #35 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung, Google to scale back giant screen sizes on new Android phones

 

As the headline is written, it is clearly incorrect. They are not reducing the size of their large screen phones. They are simply continuing to offer smaller sizes. And notice I use the word "continuing" because this is nothing new. And of course, these are consider low end Samsung phones.

 

Of course, a headline that reads "Samsung continues to offer low end phones with bigger screens than the iPhone" probably would not get pass the editors at an Apple fan boy site.

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #36 of 134

People, I think this refers to, so called, "phablets". I think Asus and Samsung have been throwing things against the wall to see what sticks. At some point, it will be obvious what sticks and what doesn't, and that's, now, what they're going to aim their product portfolio towards. The current Samsung Galaxy S3/4 size is very popular. There is a market for larger phones, but not a large enough market for ridiculously large phones. After all, it still needs to fit conveniently in your pocket.

post #37 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

You are correct -- it is a mockup and not the actual phone.  But your accusation was that they physically altered the MG photo when, in fact, they did not.  What they have chosen to do is use the original, incorrect, comparison by MG and, yes, that's disingenuous at best.

 

I don't understand why it really matters or why anyone is making a big deal out of it though.  So what?  

 

Even if the real phone is slightly bigger than the image of it, they are all just mockups or placeholders anyway.  The real phone will presumably not look like either, no? 

post #38 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung has now released over 174 Galaxy branded devices.

Unf******believable!

 

Trash for every price/size segment. lol.gif

post #39 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Dilger's twisted logic amazes again.

 

Samsung introduces a new model, which has a smaller screen than the S3 and Motorola mentions a new model that will have a smaller screen than the S3, and this is twisted to imply that both manufacturers have decided larger screened phones are a mistake and that they have abandoned them.  Then by mentioning Cook's defense of not having a larger screened model, we arrive at the right-thinking conclusion that the iP5 is perfect for everyone. ...

 

The only real logic that will determine if larger screened phones are a mistake or not is 'ka-ching' logic, not Dilger logic. 

 

Well you should look up "irony" then because while you are spending your time criticising Dilger for twisting the facts around, you carefully leave out some things yourself in your criticism of him. You conveniently forget to mention the Wicks quotes (all duly referenced and backed up) that support Dilgers main contention, in an article from another source that argues the exact same thing.  

 

Further, by the use of the (rather crass) term "ka-ching logic," I deduce that you are one of those guys that believes all that BS about how nothing matters but money or it all comes down to the money etc. It's that kind of shallow, low-brow reasoning that makes me want to discount everything you say.  

post #40 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post


You could also infer that Samsung cannot make a smaller phone with the same screen quality, performance and battery life as the iPhone 5 at that size. Perhaps a larger screen is installed because a bigger battery is needed?

Your suggestion that Samsung uses a larger screen _because_ they need a larger battery would make sense if as the display size increases, battery life increases faster than the energy requirements of the screen. But if that were the case, why did Tim Cook mention battery life as a possible tradeoff of having a larger screen?

Because he wants a phone that's thin and light.

 

The battery size of the s4 is 3x bigger than that on the iPhone. There's a lot of engineering invested on the iPhone, unlike the garbage that samsung sells.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung, Google to scale back giant screen sizes on new Android phones