Waze version 3.7 comes amidst a whirlwind of speculation surrounding a possible acquisition, with big tech players Apple, Facebook and most recently Google rumored to be in talks with the firm. Apple CEO Tim Cook on Tuesday confirmed the company never put in a bid for Waze, while dealings with Facebook are said to have recently fallen apart.
More substantial to consumers is today's update, which brings a deep tie-in with Facebook's events feature. With the new functionality, users can sign into the social network and have their navigation list display events just before they are scheduled to take place. Tapping on the event will generate a route without the need to enter a physical address.
The new feature is accompanied by a "friends bar," which shows friends who are headed to the same location, as well as when they will get there. Tapping on a friend's icon will bring up more detail about their estimated time of arrival.
In addition to the Facebook integration, Waze 3.7 offers exlusive moods for those "Wazers" who edit maps, realtime beeps and menu optimization.
From the release notes:
- Facebook events - your events appear on the navigation list for easy, one tap navigation
- Friends bar on the map - see friends headed to the same place and the order they'll arrive
- Real time and offline beeping at friends
- Exclusive moods for map editors only - 8 bit, robot and T-Rex
- Redesigned pop up alerts
- Inbox in main menu
- 3 state mute button in main menu
- Foursquare check in from the report menu
- Lock up north added to settings
- Support for JVC App Link Mode for compatible in-dash car audio receivers
- Multiple fixes, optimization and more!
Waze version 3.7 comes in at 29.2MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.