or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Teardown of Apple's new 16GB iPod touch finds few changes from other 5th-gen models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Teardown of Apple's new 16GB iPod touch finds few changes from other 5th-gen models - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsisgod View Post


Still holding your ground that Apple didn't make the low end model to make profits first and foremost, huh?  Oh well, believe what you want.  It's become obvious that this basic concept is well outside your realm of mental comprehension.

I think you've pushed this point well past its sell-by date.

Yes, Apple -- or any other company -- does something like this expecting to profit, but that does not mean that profits will necessarily happen. Moreover, there could be other objectives, such as learning from this for some other product such the low-cost iPhone (as I had speculated earlier), in which case, on a standalone basis, the introduction of this new iPod could even be akin to a 'loss-leader' strategy.
post #42 of 79
Its exactly what it says on the box, pared down iPod touch without the back camera, less storage, and cheaper.

I have the 4th gen, and it has a sh*t camera, pictures are always grainy and colors are crap. If they were to downgrade the camera to 3mp for a cheaper model, seriously, might as well 86 it altogether.

But for $70 more, you get double the storage, a 5mp camera with 2.4f aperture lens and LED flash, software wise, you can take panoramic photos, video ... Apple really isn't pushing this low end model in any serious way.
post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you've pushed this point well past its sell-by date.

Is point is fallacious. He's doesn't seem to realize that a for-profit company works to increase profits so it needs not be stated that all business decisions are geared to maximize this base concept.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #44 of 79
Odd to not have a rear facing camera but so is an iPod touch costing about the same price as a mini iPad
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Odd to not have a rear facing camera but so is an iPod touch costing about the same price as a mini iPad

Smaller is more costly, as has been noted many times here.

On the other point, no rear camera, I and many others are also wondering, but since when does Apple do something without thinking hard about why?

Many reasons for no rear camera are possible. It's meant as a Facetime spare for the coffee table, meant for education (e.g., Facetime language lessons), meant for baby's first camera for self-mirror neuron development, meant to test the waters for a world phone, and so on.

Basic point is I think they should be assumed to know what they're doing until proven otherwise, i.e. Cube, Ping, etc. Not that anyone here was questioning their competence.
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsisgod View Post

I could retort but I'm done feeding the troll.  Good day sir.

Could be for real, not knowing to whom he is addressing his Parthian shot.

Then again could be a new troll scheme, pretending not to know the regulars.

How pre-verted things have become. I say bring back the Cold War, when we knew who was the enemy.
post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Odd to not have a rear facing camera but so is a brand new iPod touch costing about the same price as a refurbished or second hand mini iPad

 

fixed. 

post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 

 

 

Oh, don't get your panties in a bunch.

 

I really just meant that it was quite unlike -- and a surprisingly lazy thing for -- Apple to do: to take an existing product, remove some (arguably) key functionality, leave the 'box' the same, lower the price and see if it sticks. I certainly don't recall their doing this with the iPod or iPad or iPhone lines before. Or with Macs (but I am less sure). They have always put a little more thought even into the process of 'downscaling' products.

 

And to others who are making the (trite) point that Apple is doing this hoping for a profit, well, duh. That's the primary reason profit-maximizing companies make such moves. However, that does not mean that the hope or expectation will always pan out. (I am speculating that this will be a bust. I could, of course, be wrong.)

 

Personally, I think this is a trial balloon on Apple's part to preview market reaction to a 'third world phone' by taking out some functionality in the iPhone 5. I am guessing Apple is particularly interested in seeing how markets such as India and China react to this.


Thanks I was going to state the same with concern to Indian market, but afraid, someone in forum will attack me, since it will never happen apparently.

post #49 of 79

The new 16GB model is simply a replacement for the previous generation iPod. It didn't make sense to keep selling a device with A4 - 3 years old now. Anyways the old gen models camera was quite crappy. They also need to do something about selling two year old devices for free with contract. If someone buys an iPhone 4 now, even a year later, it would feel so obsolete.

post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

fixed. 

True but from a value perspective, even at full price the iPods fare poorly vs the iPad Mini. A 5" iPad Nano with LTE data would be killer filling the need for super sized iPhones and retain pocket ability.

I don't need to call my kid if I can as reliably iMessage them. Or even FaceTime.
post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you've pushed this point well past its sell-by date.

Is point is fallacious. He's doesn't seem to realize that a for-profit company works to increase profits so it needs not be stated that all business decisions are geared to maximize this base concept.

Agreed. Also doesn't help that he doesn't get sarcasm/irony.
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


Thanks I was going to state the same with concern to Indian market, but afraid, someone in forum will attack me, since it will never happen apparently.

You need to have a thick skin if you wish to post here. Take as good as you give.

As the saying goes, if you can't stand the heat, don't go into the kitchen. ;-)
post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsisgod View Post

Indeed.  It amazes me to see the ignorance of some (or just one?) who can't see this.

I don't know what your problem is, N8TERSWORLD (banned 3 times), but I don't see where you have a grasp of the realities of business and manufacturing, and a passive-aggressive stance isn't going to help you. Clue, you need some.
post #54 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Smaller is more costly, as has been noted many times here.

While that CAN be true, ti can also be false.

Reducing the size reduces the amount of materials used. It may also reduce the amount of time spent machining and packaging cost.

OTOH, miniaturized components are sometimes more expensive than larger components. But not always.

It's impossible to make a blanket statement like that - it may or may not be true, depending on circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

On the other point, no rear camera, I and many others are also wondering, but since when does Apple do something without thinking hard about why?

Many reasons for no rear camera are possible. It's meant as a Facetime spare for the coffee table, meant for education (e.g., Facetime language lessons), meant for baby's first camera for self-mirror neuron development, meant to test the waters for a world phone, and so on.

Basic point is I think they should be assumed to know what they're doing until proven otherwise, i.e. Cube, Ping, etc. Not that anyone here was questioning their competence.

Exactly. Apple has become the most successful company on the planet by some measures. Some anonymous person with absolutely no manufacturing or management experience criticizes them here. Who is more likely to be correct?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

While that CAN be true, ti can also be false.

Reducing the size reduces the amount of materials used. It may also reduce the amount of time spent machining and packaging cost.

OTOH, miniaturized components are sometimes more expensive than larger components. But not always.

I agree. Most parts and materials are very cheap. The big thing that often makes smaller electronics cheaper is higher integration (fewer parts, easier assembly) and using less silicon circuit area. It's really very complicated as you suggest, and this only goes into the cost to make it.

To add to that, the price of the finished product doesn't have to reflect the cost to make it, you charge what you can. Smaller electronics might have a higher price just because it's more useful to the target market, even if it costs less to make.
post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post


I don't need to call my kid if I can as reliably iMessage them. Or even FaceTime.

So this would be part of a play to build out the Apple Network, giving us here the minimum entry device.

Tim Cook was referring to iMessage and Facetime as Apple's "social network" at All Things D. They're up to something.
post #57 of 79
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
So this would be part of a play to build out the Apple Network, giving us here the minimum entry device.

Tim Cook was referring to iMessage and Facetime as Apple's "social network" at All Things D. They're up to something.

 

I say let that dream die. No way is Apple going to be allowed to own any bandwidth without being forced to allow any phone from any manufacturer on it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I say let that dream die. No way is Apple going to be allowed to own any bandwidth without being forced to allow any phone from any manufacturer on it.

I think the "promise" to make Facetime an open standard indicated that they were thinking about stuff like this from the beginning. But Google's moves and Microsoft's Skype acquisition must be surprise factors.

This is way too strategic for me. I just keep on dreaming, sort of by profession. Not that I get paid for it . . .
post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I say let that dream die. No way is Apple going to be allowed to own any bandwidth without being forced to allow any phone from any manufacturer on it.

Of course, they could do what AT&T and Verizon do and go out of their way to steer users away from any 'undesirable' phone.

But, I agree, it's not likely to happen. Not just for the reason you cited, but because it's not really a value added proposition for Apple. What could Apple do that's better than AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Straighttalk, Net10, et al? How could Apple make the user experience noticeably better? I just don't see anything obvious.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #60 of 79
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
What could Apple do that's better than AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Straighttalk, Net10, et al? How could Apple make the user experience noticeably better? I just don't see anything obvious.

 

Unlimited everything, uncapped, unthrottled, and with absolutely no restrictions for cheaper than anyone else's capped, throttled, restricted plans. All features usable on all forms of the network.

 

But the problem, of course, is in getting said bandwidth worldwide, besides the fact that they wouldn't "legally" be allowed to limit it to iDevices.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post


True but from a value perspective, even at full price the iPods fare poorly vs the iPad Mini. A 5" iPad Nano with LTE data would be killer filling the need for super sized iPhones and retain pocket ability.

I don't need to call my kid if I can as reliably iMessage them. Or even FaceTime.

 

I agree in the sense that I'm basically just waiting for the day when I can ditch my iPhone and use one device, and I envision that device as an iPad mini size, or slightly smaller. 

 

I disagree over the 5" designation though.  It's too small for a proper tablet, and I see the value in "phablets" as being the value of a small tablet, not a large phone.  I think there are a lot of folks, (especially the large Americans), that want a bigger phone simply because their fingers are too fat or they refuse to learn how to work the keyboard and the autocorrect properly.  I don't think these folks should be listened to.  

 

I do think there is a growing "pro" use case wherein people (like me, but there are many others I believe), want a small, pocketable tablet that covers off all their mobile needs and doesn't require them to also buy and manage some sort of phone.  I think "phones" are soon going out of style, if they haven't already.  

 

I think that the current iPad mini could easily lose half of it's side bezels again and be a better device for it.  It could easily be slightly smaller in all dimensions.  If it also had phone capability and a "proper" (separate digitiser), stylus it would be miraculous.  I think a product in that form factor would dominate the market for a decade at least.  It will probably arrive sometime around 2015 or 2016 but I'm having a hard time waiting.    

post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I agree in the sense that I'm basically just waiting for the day when I can ditch my iPhone and use one device, and I envision that device as an iPad mini size, or slightly smaller. 

 

I disagree over the 5" designation though.  It's too small for a proper tablet, and I see the value in "phablets" as being the value of a small tablet, not a large phone.  I think there are a lot of folks, (especially the large Americans), that want a bigger phone simply because their fingers are too fat or they refuse to learn how to work the keyboard and the autocorrect properly.  I don't think these folks should be listened to.  

 

I do think there is a growing "pro" use case wherein people (like me, but there are many others I believe), want a small, pocketable tablet that covers off all their mobile needs and doesn't require them to also buy and manage some sort of phone.  I think "phones" are soon going out of style, if they haven't already.  

 

I think that the current iPad mini could easily lose half of it's side bezels again and be a better device for it.  It could easily be slightly smaller in all dimensions.  If it also had phone capability and a "proper" (separate digitiser), stylus it would be miraculous.  I think a product in that form factor would dominate the market for a decade at least.  It will probably arrive sometime around 2015 or 2016 but I'm having a hard time waiting.    

 

The iPad Mini is pocketable but only barely.  Lab coats, jackets, sweat shirts.  Even trimming the bezels a little wont help much.  That said it's not much worse than most of the past portable consoles that were too thick to fit in anything but a jacket pocket as well.

 

An iPod that could text and surf would meet 90% of the needs for my kids but that's not currently an option.  So a featurephone + iPad Mini is just as viable as a featurephone + iPod.

 

I wonder if an iPod Nano featurephone + iPad Mini isn't a viable strategy.

post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unlimited everything, uncapped, unthrottled, and with absolutely no restrictions for cheaper than anyone else's capped, throttled, restricted plans. All features usable on all forms of the network.

How is that different than what Net10 or Straighttalk offer?

Yes, I realize that a tiny fraction of super-heavy users claim that they're throttled on those networks after they hit a few gazillion GB per month, but for 99% of users, they already have that. So why would they buy it from Apple when they can already get it for $45 per month? And with those two networks, they have access to a full-blown network that's already in place rather than having to wait for Apple to build one.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #64 of 79
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
How is that different than what Net10 or Straighttalk offer?

 

Both capped, both restricted, and both throttled. It's wholly different.

 

Unless I'm to understand that you're personally vouching for Straight Talk in that they neither throttle nor cut off your service entirely for committing the crime of using YouTube or streaming video from any other service?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Both capped, both restricted, and both throttled. It's wholly different.

I do not believe that after the huge CapEx that Apple could afford to be that generous. Verizon capex in q1 2013 was 3.6B. Network buildouts take years. Even Apple's treasure horde would feel the hit.
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Both capped, both restricted, and both throttled. It's wholly different.

Unless I'm to understand that you're personally vouching for Straight Talk in that they neither throttle nor cut off your service entirely for committing the crime of using YouTube or streaming video from any other service?

Maybe you should use it before commenting.

I use Straight Talk on my phone and my daughter's phone. For $45, you get unlimited phone calls, unlimited texts, unlimited MMS, and unlimited data. No caps, no limits, no restrictions. I most certainly access YouTube and other streaming video on the device without problems..

As I said, some people claim that they get throttled for extremely high usage, but there's no mention of that on Straight Talk's web site - and no one that I know has run into it. If it does happen, it's only for a tiny fraction of users. But even then, there's still no cap or limits.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #67 of 79
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
I use Straight Talk on my phone and my daughter's phone. For $45, you get unlimited phone calls, unlimited texts, unlimited MMS, and unlimited data. No caps, no limits, no restrictions. I most certainly access YouTube and other streaming video on the device without problems..

As I said, some people claim that they get throttled for extremely high usage, but there's no mention of that on Straight Talk's web site - and no one that I know has run into it. If it does happen, it's only for a tiny fraction of users. But even then, there's still no cap or limits.

 

EFF YES. THANK YOU. And SUCK IT to whoever that was claiming otherwise in that thread months ago. Abject nonsense, that was. Like I'm going to be treated like that and forget it. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #68 of 79

I've vouched for Straight Talk but I can tell you they do have throttling and I was hit by it once for no reasonable rhyme or reason.

 

According to my iPhone I use about half a gig a month. I've ended up throttled twice and each time it involved crossing a state line. They are profoundly rude about it. They won't discuss or disclose your actual usage or in what form or fashion they think you may have violated their terms and conditions. They transfer you to a recording and that's it. There is plenty of discussion about it over at Howard Forums.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #69 of 79
This is a test market for the low end iPhone.
post #70 of 79
Right now, with the launch of this iPod Touch without the back camera I don't know what are they smoking at Apple.

It will not sell. The camera is probably one of the 3 biggest points of sales for an iPod Touch. Photo sharing social networks are in bloom. And major social networks are offering easier options to share photos. What are they thinking about? And, all of the previous generation have cameras. Bad cameras, but at least they had one. In fact, they added a better camera and a flash to the 5th generation because of people were asking out loud for it.

I really hope Apple to have something under their sleeve, because if the don't this is will be a big flop.
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I've vouched for Straight Talk but I can tell you they do have throttling and I was hit by it once for no reasonable rhyme or reason.

As I said, there are a number of people who claim that Straight Talk throttles heavy users and I didn't deny that possibility. I was objecting to TS' insistence that Straight Talk usage is capped and restricted and suggested that you couldn't access YouTube or streaming video without being cut off. Straight Talk is not capped and there are no restrictions on its use. Whether it is capped or not doesn't change the fact that TS was wrong - babbling as usual about things he doesn't know anything about.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #72 of 79
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
As I said, there are a number of people who claim that Straight Talk throttles heavy users and I didn't deny that possibility. I was objecting to TS' insistence that Straight Talk usage is capped and restricted and suggested that you couldn't access YouTube or streaming video without being cut off. Straight Talk is not capped and there are no restrictions on its use. Whether it is capped or not doesn't change the fact that TS was wrong - babbling as usual about things he doesn't know anything about.

 

Hey. Shut it. I'm on YOUR SIDE. Always have been. Doesn't change the fact that we're lied to so much that we have to parrot those lies to get anything done.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey. Shut it. I'm on YOUR SIDE. Always have been. Doesn't change the fact that we're lied to so much that we have to parrot those lies to get anything done.

What's that got to do with the fact that you're making things up and spreading false information?

And I'm not on anyone's side. It's not a junior high school dodgeball game. I'm interested in facts and information about Apple products - not fabricated claims from people who don't know what they're talking about.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #74 of 79
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
What's that got to do with the fact that you're making things up and spreading false information?

And I'm not on anyone's side. It's not a junior high school dodgeball game. I'm interested in facts and information about Apple products - not fabricated claims from people who don't know what they're talking about.

 

Spreading false… 

 

I'm done here. Try to do something for a guy…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Spreading false… 

I'm done here. Try to do something for a guy…

You're done here? Good. Can we bet an unbiased moderator or, at least one who doesn't make things up all the time?

And you made false accusations against Straight Talk for me? Please, don't bother. Really.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #76 of 79
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
And you made false accusations against Straight Talk for me?


Nope, truthful ones.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Nope, truthful ones.

As usual, you can't even admit that you're wrong.

I've shown that there are no caps and no restrictions. Straight Talk's TOS says nothing about caps or restrictions. One person says that his service was throttled, but not capped or restricted.

Yet you still insist that there are caps and restrictions? What's your evidence (other than the hallucinations you seem to be suffering from)?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #78 of 79
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
As usual, you can't even admit that you're wrong.

 

LOOK. FORGET IT. I SAID EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID MONTHS AGO. I WAS HARASSED AND BULLIED FOR IT. NOW, COME TO SAY THE SAME THING AND YOU FINALLY BACK ME UP, MEANING I WAS RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

 

Just forget it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #79 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I've vouched for Straight Talk but I can tell you they do have throttling and I was hit by it once for no reasonable rhyme or reason.



As I said, there are a number of people who claim that Straight Talk throttles heavy users and I didn't deny that possibility. I was objecting to TS' insistence that Straight Talk usage is capped and restricted and suggested that you couldn't access YouTube or streaming video without being cut off. Straight Talk is not capped and there are no restrictions on its use. Whether it is capped or not doesn't change the fact that TS was wrong - babbling as usual about things he doesn't know anything about.

Their terms of service expressly ban the streaming of media. They will tell you point blank that is why you were throttled. They have at times admitted to a soft cap of 1.5 gigabytes. After that you are throttled. I have even had some customer service reps declare that the throttle isn't removed even after a new service date.

I personally used to find crazy deals and add three months of service all the time. Now I won't even auto-renew with them because their terms and conditions seem to change at will.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Teardown of Apple's new 16GB iPod touch finds few changes from other 5th-gen models