or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals - Page 4

post #121 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

 I have the 15in rMBP. The Optical disk drive is a waste in a laptop, even in PC world Ultrabooks don't have them anymore either. Argument is dead in the water. The only optical disk people should need is maybe a Blu-Ray player for their TV.
You are wrong on multiple counts here. First Blu-Ray is a dead technology. Walk into any store selling media and you can see this right off the bat. Racks and racks of DVDs and Blu-Ray stuck in a corner with maybe a rack or two. Blu-Ray killed itself off at inception and frankly was one thing Steve was right about.

As to AIRs and UltraBooks that is not an argument for mainstream laptops. These machines serve an entirely different market than the mainstream.
Quote:
An external drive for the occasional time you need one is fine and does the job. However, the lack of Ethernet is still a minor frustration point. Wifi may be good enough for most at home or a Starbucks; but Ethernet is still faster, more reliable, and the only way most businesses let you connect to secure data. Unlike HDs and ODDs, it's not going anywhere. Sure I use an adapter, but it's clumsy, and have to be conscientious of bringing it with me all the time. Otherwise this is the best darn computer I've ever used. 

It is interesting that you acknowledge some of the issues with Ethernet and justify it existence but dismiss the same arguments when it comes to optical drives. To put it plainly if a dongle is clumsy a external optical is ten times worst.
post #122 of 239

I hope this analyst is spot on.  Those all sound like tempting upgrades.  

 

I heard rumor that the Mac Pro will be a total redesign.  Let's hope so as that form factor is long in the tooth.  With SSDs, the new Intel Chips, and retina display these offerings will kick-butt.

post #123 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I hear a lot of arguments against them, but like a few others, I do want an optical drive in my next Mac.  I do still use CDs and DVDs.  And that doesn't look like it will be changing any time soon.  Thank you for not hating on me.

I don't think anyone is "hating on" those that want an optical drive. The market is shifting away from it though.
post #124 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I use Ethernet [at home on my network] and at every consulting job I've ever worked for within the Fortune 1000.

If somebodies WiFi usage is limited to his Mamas basement he won't have any concept of why Ethernet is needed in the real world. All the justifications I've seen so far revolve around use WiFi or a dongle, but these people just don't realize that WiFi just isn't possible in many many cases. Further most Ethernet dongles just plain suck. At least the USB ones do.

The problem is you have posted this point but nobody here will accept it as fact. Instead they just champion Apples decisions without critical thought.
post #125 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is interesting that you acknowledge some of the issues with Ethernet and justify it existence but dismiss the same arguments when it comes to optical drives. To put it plainly if a dongle is clumsy a external optical is ten times worst.

If you aren't using an ODD to boot your machine for general use the way one might only use Ethernet to connect to a network for general use then your point has merit and a machine without an ODD would be quite cumbersome, but I don't see a nearly continuous and absolute need for an ODD for Mac users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Instead they just champion Apples decisions without critical thought.

Now you're not even being reasonable. 1oyvey.gif Do you really think that everyone said they needed and wanted Ethernet, ODD and 120 PPI display in their MBP until Apple removed it? I've been using an OptiBay drive in my MBP since it first came arrived.

Apple made something that didn't quite fit my needs so I adapted. Something this means modifying your kit, sometimes this means changing vendors, and sometimes this means modifying your expectations. If you can't do the first two you need to do the last one and stop implying everyone that is happy with a change you don't like are mindless iSheep.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #126 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Are you sticking with an older MBP or gong with the USB or TB-to-Ethernet dongle?

If WiFi isn't completely out of the question and the Ethernet you're plugging is designed to also with a IP phone then plugging in a small PoE wireless router could be a solution.

 

I have wifi at home. A lot of corporations have policies where DMZ structured net access is best controlled in a subnet via ethernet and not wifi. It's akin to how come some many corporations still have T1/ISDN infrastructure and for good reason, with the exception that 1GbE or 10GbE is always going to be better than a over-the-air mesh network of wifi.

post #127 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The Old MBP is an excellent machine. If you replace the DV drive with an SSD (and keep the DVD drive as an external drive) - it is an even better machine imo. Or if you need the optical drive in the machine, just upgrade the HD to an SSD. It is an awesome upgrade.

You do realize that this is an argument for MBPs with optical drives. That drive give people this very option, something they can't do with the retina MBP. It is just another way that the original MBP is an all around better platform than the Retina machine. Too many people here want to turn the retina MBP into an AIR. A 15" AIR would be nice but like the current retina machine it won't meet every bodies needs.
post #128 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


If somebodies WiFi usage is limited to his Mamas basement he won't have any concept of why Ethernet is needed in the real world. All the justifications I've seen so far revolve around use WiFi or a dongle, but these people just don't realize that WiFi just isn't possible in many many cases. Further most Ethernet dongles just plain suck. At least the USB ones do.

The problem is you have posted this point but nobody here will accept it as fact. Instead they just champion Apples decisions without critical thought.

 

It's also a reason how come Apple still have GigE on every iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, and even 100BaseT on the AppleTV. It's also the reason I will never buy either a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air and purchase a separate effin' dongle ($29 adaptor just to get back a $1 GigE port that unfortunately takes bandwidth away from the PCI bus it uses).

post #129 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You are wrong on multiple counts here. First Blu-Ray is a dead technology. Walk into any store selling media and you can see this right off the bat. Racks and racks of DVDs and Blu-Ray stuck in a corner with maybe a rack or two. Blu-Ray killed itself off at inception and frankly was one thing Steve was right about.

As to AIRs and UltraBooks that is not an argument for mainstream laptops. These machines serve an entirely different market than the mainstream.
It is interesting that you acknowledge some of the issues with Ethernet and justify it existence but dismiss the same arguments when it comes to optical drives. To put it plainly if a dongle is clumsy a external optical is ten times worst.

I agree that blu ray us a dead tech. But in most of the world we are stuck with it. No Hulu or Netflix, no specific apps. Either iTunes Store, with a smaller selection (as in crappily smaller, even in original English language) or cable provided on demand video which cost an arm and a leg... As long as worldwide licensing isn't rethought, many countries are unfortunately still stuck with either physical media or very expensive movies..

Blu ray, though, was doa..

Yet, more content (some content) would be appreciated... Thank Hollywood. I'd pay for it!
post #130 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I have wifi at home. A lot of corporations have policies where DMZ structured net access is best controlled in a subnet via ethernet and not wifi. It's akin to how come some many corporations still have T1/ISDN infrastructure and for good reason, with the exception that 1GbE or 10GbE is always going to be better than a over-the-air mesh network of wifi.

Sometimes that can be over the top. I see little reason for many companies to have a blanket no-wireless rule specifically for security sake. It's a lot more likely that an attack will come from the internet and espionage will come from a connected device that was either infected from the outside (either from IT or user error) or internally by an employee. Encrypted and password protected WiFi, especially if it connects with a RADIUS server will not only offer select users authentication and access but also accounting. Controlling the range of the network by power and antennas (if applicable) can be a chore by yourself since you need to walk around and basically do a Verizonesque "Can you connect me now?" with a machine that has a good antenna (best not to test with a smartphone or you might make the fence larger than you expect).

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #131 of 239
Wow an incredible display of arrogance here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've been saying this for years now, but it's time for Apple to completely abandon the ODD from all of it's products. It is useless, it is offensive, it is noisy, it is power hungry, it's not 100% reliable and it takes up valuable space. A forward thinking company like Apple can not continue to include such an obsolete atrocity in it's products.
If you believe all of that nonsense you have posted above, fine live in denial, just realize that Apple already makes computers for you. They should also service customers with vastly different needs which computers with Ethernet and ODD do.
Quote:
I feel sorry for anybody who lives in the middle of nowhere without a decent internet connection and people who still travel to work using a horse and buggy, but human civilization must continue on, and technological progress can not be hindered just because of a few dinosaurs that still remain.
Actually many of us live in very high tech areas and have access to all of those goodies but still need the hardware discussed to get the job done.
Quote:
High speed internet is simply a requirement for all modern computing needs. The majority should not be inconvenienced by an insignificant minority.
First off you are in the minority when it comes to professional users. Second nobody is inconvenienced in the least because Apple has different models available to service different needs. The rational thing for Apple here is to continue to service those needs.
Quote:
You still use actual audio CD's and you still watch horrible quality DVD movies and you still back up to Disk like it's 1999? Well, just go out and buy an external drive. It is you that should be inconvenienced, because you have special needs.
I bet your mother is very proud of you and your ability to understand the needs of others.
post #132 of 239
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
I don't think that tests anything. If the original MBP stays around this yer it will likely be because the retina isn't selling that well.

 

That doesn't make any sense. I still say price over anything.

 

And yeah, it does. Apple dropped a FireWire from the first-gen MacBook Pro, hell was raised, and it was brought back. If Ethernet is brought back (I don't believe it will be), well…

 

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
I suspect Apple is dealing with a Mini rebellion here with people completely rejecting the feature set of the retina MBPs.

 

I suspect that's nonsense.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #133 of 239

I don't think the new Mac Pro will have an optical drive but it will have Ethernet. With 8GB USB thumbdrives only costing $5 (and sold in packs of 3 or 4!) you can afford to give them away to your clients.

post #134 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yeah, it does. Apple dropped a FireWire from the first-gen MacBook Pro, hell was raised, and it was brought back.

I guess it's because it was an aluminum unibody chassis that people believe that FW was removed from the 13" MBP, but that is not the case. They removed FW400 from the aluminum MB in 2008 and from all the ploy carbonate MBs a year later. When they made a 13" MB Pro they included FW800 which in all MBPs up until last year with the RMBPs.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/2/13 at 3:24pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #135 of 239
Look out you are offering up rational explanations of why certain features appeal to you. This will not go over well with the fanboys champion the recent decisions made by Apple or the rumors speculated on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

On the reasons why older mac book pros have to stay around:
- I am very passionate about photography, and have a very large collection of pictures shot in RAW with a DSLR.
Yep disk space is always an issue as is the ability to back up a days shoot in the field just in case.
Quote:
Now. Of course I would die to have a retina mac. But I currently use the 17" mbp which has a huge difference in real estate to the 15".
Well I'm not a fan of huge machines myself but I don't really understand what the sales situation with the 17" MBP was. We can only hope that it comes back as a retina machine one day for those that need it.
Quote:
Moreover I have a 750 GB HDD. Picture the price tag of that size on a SSD on a retina...
Even that is a small drive for field work. But again the people here supporting Apple apparently don't actually work with their machines. By that I mean use the machine as a tool to earn a living. If they did they wouldn't be in such a hurry to see a homogenized line from Apple.
Quote:
I could give up the real estate for a retina display. But I don't want a portable computer with an external drive constantly connected to it. It defies the purpose!
Yes it does. Being that I have to carry around an external for my old MBP I know the feeling well. The problem is, for me anyway, a good solution that goes beyond 1TB.
Quote:
I think apple went all SSD too soon on the MacBook.
Well the Mac Book is gone, on the AIR it is fine for the market targeted. If you mean Mac Book Pro then I'd have to say you are right, affordable capacity is a huge problem on the retina MBP.
Quote:
Why not fusion drive?
Good question. On the MBPs the fusion solution could have used a 512 GB SSD paired with a 1TB or larger magnetic drive. This would have bridged over a lot of users until SSDs hit a valid capacity range.
Quote:
With the spare space from the ODD? The prices of SSD are still too high (if we talk above 500 gb). I am all for the cloud, but having to be constantly connected to work on my pictures is a pain. Let me store them on my mac! (For a decent price).
For many reasons the cloud still sucks. It is great when everything hums along nicely but suffers from all sorts of issues that crop up from time to time.
Quote:
If anything apple has to increase storage on the mbp. Cloud is, at the moment, for more portable devices (iPad, iPhone and MBAir). The pro is a different league. Storage and performance are paramount not optionals or gimmicks...

People simply don't grasp this.
post #136 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think the new Mac Pro will have an optical drive but it will have Ethernet. With 8GB USB thumbdrives only costing $5 (and sold in packs of 3 or 4!) you can afford to give them away to your clients.

I'd imagine the counter-arguemnt to that is, "But if you mail someone a USB flash drive you're out $5 but if you give you someone a DL-DVD you're out $3*" but that fails to consider Dropbox and other file sharing services.



* First hit on Amazon. 3-pack for about $9. I didn't account for shipping or tax costs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #137 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) Consider why the battery is larger in the MBP. The MBA isn't going to have the CPU or GPU that the MBP will have. Performance is why the MBP will still be more ideal for many over the MBA.

2) Reports show Haswell dramatically improving battery life. I'm hoping for much longer life but Apple could potentially reduce size and weight whilst keeping the battery life about the same.

 

I was comparing the batteries in the standard MBP v. the rMBP. 7 hrs for both but different battery sizes. Look also at the bump in size when iPad went RP. Clearly, the retina display requires more power.

 

Yes, Haswell should make a difference. But will it outweigh the increase in power needs of the display?

post #138 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Yes, Haswell should make a difference. But will it outweigh the increase in power needs of the display?

Over the current RMBP? It would certainly help. IGZO and other changes could further that even more.

I won't be satisfied until I can get a solid 12 hours out of my notebook with full brightness and a decent amount of processing, but as soon as that milestone is met I'll be wanting for a week long battery and then a month long battery.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #139 of 239
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I guess it's because it was an aluminum unibody chassis that people believe that FW was removed from the 13" MBP, but that is not the case. They removed FW400 from the aluminum MB in 2008 and from all the ploy carbonate MBs a year later. When they made a 13" MB Pro they included FW800 which in all MBPs up until last year with the RMBPs.

 

I mean the one in 2006.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #140 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


WiFi is certainly not a replacement for all types of networked communication, especially in regards to security, but they are both interchangeable for all intents and purposes as they are networking technologies.

Lol. You contradicted yourself in the space of two sentences.

It is specifically with respect to security that they are not interchangeable. That and bandwidth.
Quote:
I'd say the success of the MBA, the rise of the netbook, the iPad, and now Ultrabook-class notebooks is proof that people are selling less of a need to have an ODD not only on them at all times but built into their notebook at all times.

No it's not proof. For one thing, if you accept Steve's cars vs trucks analogy the iPad isn't in the same category. Neither are netbooks which were just crappy cars.

Ultra books are a specialized category of trucks and no one is suggesting the MBA needs an ODD. What some folks believe is that some "trucks" so indeed need optical drives and lots of hdd space so keeping the non-retina MBP in the line up AND up to date is very valuable to a significant segment of pro users.

I hope he's wrong but he might not be. A 15" haswell cMBP is probably the machine I want to get next for work.
post #141 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Well currently my school put of purchasing Airs, instead going for pros because of the harddrive factor.... Our Macs are loaded with heaps of software. I don't know how they fill them but our old White Macbooks are almost full (160 GB) 

I know heaps of people who still use Optical disk drives. Back in 1998 the Floppy Disk drive was way too small for its time. DVDs are up to 8 GB, and in very common usage. 

No one has yet given me a reason why Apple need to pull the plug on this Macbook. 

I don't think Apple should discontinue the cMBP... yet. Once Apple gets the rMBP price down to the price of the cMBP for the same amount of memory and storage, I think it should be discontinued. I don't think the lack of FireWire and Ethernet ports and an optical drive are a big deal when there are external options. Sure, it will inconvenience a small number of users, but probably not a lot. I really think memory, storage, and price are what is keeping the cMBP around for now.
post #142 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I mean the one in 2006.

Oh yeah, the first two 15" MBPs only had FW400. The 17" MBP had it when on sale 2 months after the original 15" MBP, and PBs had them since 2003, so I don't it was a result of people complaining. I'd think it another issue that didn't allow them to include FW800 in only the 15" MBP from Feb 2008 to October 2008.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #143 of 239
You are assuming things from most likely your personal perspective. For one thing the camera or back may require a computer to connect too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would think the real question is why you want to store all those photos on your laptop.  If you are shooting so much at such a high res that storage is a problem then you should really be using a desktop class machine.
Actually in some cases photographers do use a desktop class machine rolled around on a cart. This can be less than ideal. If you can come up with a laptop, with the right hardware, it can make for a far better system.

As for storing all of those photos, he probably doesn't. I can't read minds here but you would certainly want the data of current clients with you if at all possible. That might mean a couple of months or a couple of years worth of data.
Quote:
 That was the case before Retina and before SSDs also.
It is interesting that people are demanding here that users move forward and drop their need for Ethernet and ODD but this guy wants Apple to move forward on another front and gets his post picked apart. Do you see the problem here?
Quote:
 A laptop is a horrible choice for keeping all your photos safe.  
Agreed, but he didn't say anything about keeping them safe on the machine, his issue is capacity to do his job and run a business.
Quote:
At the very least you want a backup which means you have to regularly connect your laptop to something else like another computer or a giant hard drive to back it up.  And all the time your laptop is away from this thing, you aren't backed up at all.  
Which is a good justification for an optical disk drive. That is if the disk can hold a days work. I wouldn't be surprised to see photographers backing up to optical disk a few times a day, in the field, for critical projects. Am alternative is to back up to something over USB such as a dongle or hard drive.

Note that these are only working backups for the days business. Archiving and storage woulda veto tak place on a separate system probably a disk array.
Quote:

It would make more sense to me to dump the laptop and switch to an iPad that's connected and backed up to the cloud on a minute by minute basis.
How many cameras can you do real time control from an iPad? Frankly iPads are of limited use for many common field photography needs.
Quote:
 Then you won't have any storage or backup problems, your mobile gear will be much lighter and cheaper, and you can concentrate on just taking the pictures.  
You storage and back up problems only get worst.
Quote:
All a good photographer in the field needs is a device for taking the shots (camera), a review device (iPad), and the ability to send some of the pics off or make some colour corrections before doing so (again, the iPad is excellent for this).
Again you are looking at this from one perspective assuming your specific use case.
Quote:
 Alternatively, an iMac for your home, and a EyeFi card for the camera would be a better combination than your current setup also.  If you have any "computing" needs in the field, an iPhone or again a cheap iPad would serve you better. 

As much as I love my iPad I simply can't agree with you here. IPad isn't the solution for this issue.
post #144 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

It is specifically with respect to security that they are not interchangeable. That and bandwidth.

1oyvey.gif If you don't understand how someone can connect to a WAN or LAN via both WiFi an Ethernet you really shouldn't be here.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #145 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't know a single person who has needed an optical drive in the past three years. And you can always plug one into your AirPort to share between computers.

 

Does that work?  I've never seen that advertised as a feature.  Good to know if true.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #146 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem is, for me anyway, a good solution that goes beyond 1TB.

Not sure if it helps your situation, but 1.5TB 2.5" drives have hit the streets (5400 RPM, though)

post #147 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1oyvey.gif You don't understand how someone can connect to a WAN or LAN via both WiFi an Ethernet you really shouldn't be here.

No. You don't accept that wireless is not an option in some cases and therefore the two are not interchangeable. In fact there are companies that rip out the wireless from MBPs and other laptops as a business.

Stop being a dick.
post #148 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Not sure if it helps your situation, but 1.5TB 2.5" drives have hit the streets (5400 RPM, though)

While everyone would prefer both speed and size it seems fusion is a good enough compromise. A 256gb or even 512 gb SSD paired with a 1.5 TB drive would be very useful for many pros.
post #149 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I thought the big advantage Haswell brought to the table in addition to just being faster was tremendous power savings over Ivy. Something like 30 to 50% better battery life if memory serves. Since Apple stresses battery life in marketing I am surprised they wouldn't move everything to Haswell as soon as is practicable. 

The funny thing here is that battery savings comes from when Haswell isn't being used. If some of the reviews are correct under load Haswell is just as power hungry and hot as the current offerings. In a way that only makes sense because there is no process shrink and some subsections are higher performing. Under light load Haswell should do much better.

The thing with Intel is that you have to read the fine print very carefully. People don't like to hear this but often AMDs APUs perform better power wise and performance wise under load. A far better GPU goes a long way to making this possible. In any event realize that the power ratings on the Haswell chips have changed significantly over previous models.
post #150 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Not sure if it helps your situation, but 1.5TB 2.5" drives have hit the streets (5400 RPM, though)

If you remove the ODD you can double the up the storage. 2TB at 7200RPM or 3TB at 5400RPM. I'd personally go with 2x1.5TB drives if I thought I'd be using more than 1TB because as you fill up the drive it performs slower as the inside of the platers are slower than the outside.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #151 of 239
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Does that work?  I've never seen that advertised as a feature.  Good to know if true.

 

Oh dear, seems it doesn't. I was thinking of Remote Disc, sure, but apparently it doesn't work without a computer… 

 

This happens a lot with me; I misremember a feature as something else that turns out to be a lot better than what is actually implemented. If only I could implement them. lol.gif Or remember them long enough to do so… 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #152 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you remove the ODD you can double the up the storage. 2TB at 7200RPM or 3TB at 5400RPM. I'd personally go with 2x1.5TB drives if I thought I'd be using more than 1TB because as you fill up the drive it performs slower as the inside of the platers are slower than the outside.

Which you don't have the option of doing in a rMBP...
post #153 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

No. You don't accept that wireless is not an option in some cases and therefore the two are not interchangeable. In fact there are companies that rip out the wireless from MBPs and other laptops as a business.

Stop being a dick.

1) Yeah, I never said that wireless was't ever an option. In fact I said I use an Ethernet connection to get a faster connection with my iMac, but you'd have to have actually read what I wrote before commenting.

2) The technologies are used interchangeably. This is undeniable by you have attempted to do so. I also stated they clearly had pros and cons. You claimed otherwise. You might to revisit that cars and truck analogy that you seem so fond of. Cars are trucks can be used for the same purpose (i.e.: interchangeably) but no where does that mean that each, even with classifications of just cars or just trucks, all have the exact same advantages and disadvantages.

Now, do you want to add to the conversation or act pissy again that I called out your stupidity. Either way, I'd appreciate if think a little more before you respond.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #154 of 239
Unfortunately this means the AIRs won't get the GPU updates we have been hoping for. Apparently the more advanced chips don't come out to September. Hopefully this is all cleared up in the next few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

It's already pretty obvious actually. Start with this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/23/half-of-apples-macbook-air-lineup-now-sold-out-at-amazon-ahead-of-wwdc

The MBA is the product going into constraint which is SOP for Apple ahead of a major refresh. MBP's still have plenty of availability which is again SOP ahead of minor spec updates. Further, WWDC is typically more focused on iOS so Apple isn't going to announce anything to take the spotlight away from what will likely be a major overhaul of iOS for version 7. Lastly, time on sale and Apple's product refresh schedule for laptops put the MBA as due for an overhaul and the MBP due for a spec bump. It's been this way and totally predictable for YEARS.
Well not exactly. Focus tends to wander a bit. Further the media often concentrates on iOS even when Mac OS is going through its own revisions.
Quote:
What is most likely is that the rMBP's get spec bumps, the MBA's get overhauled and the non retina MBPs get dropped with a single non retina MBA as the new low end entry model.
Actually I think retina AIRs are still a year off. Mainly because of the GPU issues and allowable power in the platform. I suspect a process shrink is in order.
post #155 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Which you don't have the option of doing in a rMBP...

****, Dude, learn to follow the conversion because I won't relent just because you're thick. He responded to wizard69's comment which also mentioned "Being that I have to carry around an external for my old MBP I know the feeling well." 1oyvey.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #156 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You are assuming things from most likely your personal perspective. For one thing the camera or back may require a computer to connect too.
Actually in some cases photographers do use a desktop class machine rolled around on a cart. This can be less than ideal. If you can come up with a laptop, with the right hardware, it can make for a far better system.

As for storing all of those photos, he probably doesn't. I can't read minds here but you would certainly want the data of current clients with you if at all possible. That might mean a couple of months or a couple of years worth of data.
It is interesting that people are demanding here that users move forward and drop their need for Ethernet and ODD but this guy wants Apple to move forward on another front and gets his post picked apart. Do you see the problem here?
Agreed, but he didn't say anything about keeping them safe on the machine, his issue is capacity to do his job and run a business.
Which is a good justification for an optical disk drive. That is if the disk can hold a days work. I wouldn't be surprised to see photographers backing up to optical disk a few times a day, in the field, for critical projects. Am alternative is to back up to something over USB such as a dongle or hard drive.

Note that these are only working backups for the days business. Archiving and storage woulda veto tak place on a separate system probably a disk array.
How many cameras can you do real time control from an iPad? Frankly iPads are of limited use for many common field photography needs.
You storage and back up problems only get worst.
Again you are looking at this from one perspective assuming your specific use case.
As much as I love my iPad I simply can't agree with you here. IPad isn't the solution for this issue.

 

Well yeah, but you're the crusty old naysayer who is against anything new, so I'm not going to pay much attention to your point of view.  1wink.gif

You're constantly telling everyone that the iPad is crap and that you can't do anything with it as far as I recall.  

 

The guy I was responding to is obviously one of those picky types that thinks his little system that he's worked out is the best and clearly (like you) isn't really open to a new way of working, which is why I didn't respond to his last post.  He basically wan't a desktop class machine, that's portable, that also works for work and personal, and nothing short of that will do for him.  There isn't much to say once you realise that.  His description of his needs is a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.  

 

I was trying to point out that he would do better with a desktop class machine at home and a different, lighter, mobile setup, but he isn't open to new ways of working so I respected that.  I know a few photographers myself, and I know that even some of the high end fashion photogs nowadays use pretty much the exact setup I was putting forward as a suggestion, so I thought it was worth explaining it, in case the fellow hadn't heard about it.  You, on the other hand, are just being crotchety and contrary as usual.  

 

I could point out how wrong you are about optical discs being "good storage" and a bunch of other stuff but I know from your posts here over the years that you aren't really interested either in debate or even "the facts" for that matter.   In fact, you seem so thoroughly uninterested in anything new or different that I fail to understand why you like Macs at all, or why you haunt this forum.  You come across as a deeply conservative, and extremely negative individual which is the opposite of the type that usually gravitates towards Macs.  

post #157 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Unfortunately this means the AIRs won't get the GPU updates we have been hoping for. Apparently the more advanced chips don't come out to September. Hopefully this is all cleared up in the next few days.

[…]

Actually I think retina AIRs are still a year off. Mainly because of the GPU issues and allowable power in the platform. I suspect a process shrink is in order.

That's an interesting take i hadn't yet heard. I assumed these iGPUs will be more powerful than in the current 13" RMBP.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #158 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Over the current RMBP? It would certainly help. IGZO and other changes could further that even more.

I won't be satisfied until I can get a solid 12 hours out of my notebook with full brightness and a decent amount of processing, but as soon as that milestone is met I'll be wanting for a week long battery and then a month long battery.

I was talking about the MBA - comparing the current MBA to a hypothetical MBA with RP.

 

Specifically, RP requires a larger battery, we saw with the iPad and MBP. How can Apple add RP to MBA without a concomitant increase in size and weight? Perhaps putting Haswell chip in MBA offsets some of that. But is that enough to keep the current size and weight, without a decrease in battery life?

post #159 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

As a professor, I can say the only way to teach with computers is to either teach from the back of the classroom -where you can see all screens- or to disable Internet (the later quite difficult because nobody at our school ever thought the Internet could be an annoyance when teaching)

Sometimes I have to wonder why laptops are even in the classroom or lecture hall. I have a hard time grasping how a student could even take proper notes in a lecture hall where math or the sciences are being discussed. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know of any note taking software that allows you to transcribe equations and drawings at a rational pace to keep up. Plus the machine is a big distraction even if you aren't on the Internet. Then again it is probably 25 years since I've sat in a lecture hall and frankly I wasn't a good student.

I can see how something like iPad is a great convenience in replacing a backpack full of books but it isn't exactly the best at reading and researching as a student would. At least not yet.
post #160 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Speaking of "mini" recall that Apple completely dropped the ODD from their entry-level desktop PC before moving that to their 15" MBP, then their 13" MBP, and then their iMacs. If this was a major issue and not having an ODD in the MBAs or the iPad wasn't enough to create the rebellion then removing it from a desktop PC should have set off all the alarms if there were going to be any. I am not convinced the next Mac Pro will even have an ODD, and if it does I'd guess it will be only slot for the drive, not two.

I'm looking at the products as a whole. The ODD is just one thing that causes people to turn up their noses at the rMBP. Storage price and capacity is a second issue. Take into account other issues and the old MBPs look very attractive to many users. Sure the retina screen is nice but a user gives up a lot to get that screen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals