or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals

Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals - Page 6

post #201 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

So we might end with a rMBA but rMBP will be thinner than before. Wouldn't that blur the lines even more between the Pro and Air lines? 

If they make the MBA thinner and lighter then the current model, Apple will be blurring the lines between the MBA and the iPad. 1smile.gif

It's becoming a small world after all... 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #202 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

If they make the MBA thinner and lighter then the current model, Apple will be blurring the lines between the MBA and the iPad. 1smile.gif

It's becoming a small world after all... 

Not at all. Different OS. Different apps. Touch v. keyboard.

MBA and MBP, however, differ only in hardware.

post #203 of 239
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
Not at all. Different OS. Different apps. Touch v. keyboard.

You're so close and yet…

You don't really expect laptops to stick around forever, do you? I imagine that by the start of the '20s, only swiftly-bankrupting PC manufacturers will sell laptops.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #204 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're so close and yet…

You don't really expect laptops to stick around forever, do you? I imagine that by the start of the '20s, only swiftly-bankrupting PC manufacturers will sell laptops.

Perhaps. But laptops as we know them today will not be displaced entirely by tablets as we know today. 

post #205 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You do realize that this is an argument for MBPs with optical drives. That drive give people this very option, something they can't do with the retina MBP. It is just another way that the original MBP is an all around better platform than the Retina machine. Too many people here want to turn the retina MBP into an AIR. A 15" AIR would be nice but like the current retina machine it won't meet every bodies needs.

What always happens here is that any discussion turns into an either or proposition. And a lot of chest thumping. At the moment there are two possible ways to go and to each his own for as long as it is possible. I have upgraded my old MBP and what I got for my money was a MUCH better performance for a small amount of money. But the next machine I buy, given that the old MBP is still available, will be a rMBP, no question. I love the 13" MBA so in a year or two I will re-evaluate. I'd love to function on a full size iPad and 27" iMac, but too often I need graphic packages on the go. 

All to say - yeah, long live the old mbp, I have no issues with that, but when it goes I'll already have moved on. 

post #206 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What always happens here is that any discussion turns into an either or proposition. And a lot of chest thumping. At the moment there are two possible ways to go and to each his own for as long as it is possible. I have upgraded my old MBP and what I got for my money was a MUCH better performance for a small amount of money. But the next machine I buy, given that the old MBP is still available, will be a rMBP, no question. I love the 13" MBA so in a year or two I will re-evaluate. I'd love to function on a full size iPad and 27" iMac, but too often I need graphic packages on the go. 

All to say - yeah, long live the old mbp, I have no issues with that, but when it goes I'll already have moved on. 

Do it. I bought my 15" rMBP a year ago and it is the best notebook I have ever owned, even though I still have a 13" MBA.

post #207 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Do it. I bought my 15" rMBP a year ago and it is the best notebook I have ever owned, even though I still have a 13" MBA.
I must... Not... Must ... Will....
Doh!
No question - it's the portable to have. But that AND a 27" iMac? That would be greedy wouldn't it?
post #208 of 239
What about the Image Ghost Retention? Will they include it too in this new model of rMBP?
post #209 of 239
I had to decide 6 months ago whether to get an MBP or rMBP. 

I knew I would need Ethernet, and already had a fast 256GB SSD I could replace the MBP HD with, so the logical thing was to get the standard MBP. But I threw caution to the wind and got a rMBP with TB->Ethernet adapter instead, and am glad I did. The Retina screen is something that still impresses me 6 months later. 

I already had an iPad Retina, and Retina was just a marginal improvement on that I thought, but on the Mac it is somehow more noticeable. Maybe if you have been a Mac fan for years and years, with the window and button images burned in to your brain, then sharpening their appearance is more noticeable.
post #210 of 239
Quote:

The rMBP has ports (1rolleyes.gif ) and "a lot of people" sure don't need an ODD.

Most people I know with ODD-less laptops actually have external ODD, so I'm far from convinced. Was there any serious poll regarding ODD usage nowadays you can refer to, anyway?
post #211 of 239
I certainly hope (and think) the Analyst is full of Horse S*#^!

I am sure Apple will move to the Haswell Chips for their MBP's - Apple always strives to give better (the best) battery life (you think Apple want others to be able to brag better battery life over Apples offering...) and 10% more processing power - he thinks we don't want more horses under our key pads????

I have a 2012 MBP and I have reached the limit on what the chips can let me do. I want and need more power.

Oh and as for the original layout with hard drives inside - I certainly hope they do continue to offer this model - I have had to take out my hard drive and optical drive to fit my two SSDs inside it. One 960 gig and one 480. I have already used up 1.2 of the 1.5 potential and I can see this being in need of refreshing to be larger. It will be a number of years before Apple can / will offer this as a factory upgrade option to this level of storage.
post #212 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Yes but the PPC was completly lagging behind the intel processor when they were phased out. The Classic Macbook pro is not lagging behind the PC market. 

Sigh..... I always import my CDs, I should have typed, I use my ODD to import CDs into itunes... 
DVDs aren't really meant to be ripped (Well legally) so I will play them in the drive. 

I'm with you. I travel much as I can and, regardless I try to secure good hotel wherever I go, I still come across hotels with Ethernet only. Even at home, I might plug my laptop on occasion to gigabit switch to copy large amount of data accross to a server.

Re ODD, I'd sacrifice it (actually replace it with external) for better battery life and/or better graphics, but not for slimmer laptop. I'm carrying laptop in Everki Versa backpack when travelling and few mm slimmer unit does not make any difference thickness or weight wise.

I've got 120GB SSD in my old ThinkPad laptop, thinking it will be enough for my usage scenario - I use it a lot while traveling but that is once or twice a year at best, rest of time usage is very light. However, since my new camera is spitting out 20MB RAW files, my laptop is down to 35GB after 2 weeks - and I still have almost 3 weeks of travel in front of me. My laptop's setup was as light as possible, all media except for RAWs on external USB HDD, music on iPhone and iPad... But I'm still running out of space. Unless price of SSDs goes down significantly before my next travel, it is very likely I'm going back to a spinner HDD, for a while at least.

Yes of course I can use external Ethernet, external ODD & HDD, but. We will change 4 hotels and also stay with my and my wife's parents for a while, so taking care about number of easy to lose gadgets is really less convenient than a few millimetres in laptop's thickness.

I'm looking at replacing my ThinkPad with something else before next trip, and classic MBP is on my list. MBP retina, not so. It is great machine, but it just doesn't fit my needs as good as classic.

Different people, different scenarios, different priorities.
post #213 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I have the 15in rMBP. The Optical disk drive is a waste in a laptop, even in PC world Ultrabooks don't have them anymore either. Argument is dead in the water. The only optical disk people should need is maybe a Blu-Ray player for their TV. An external drive for the occasional time you need one is fine and does the job. However, the lack of Ethernet is still a minor frustration point. Wifi may be good enough for most at home or a Starbucks; but Ethernet is still faster, more reliable, and the only way most businesses let you connect to secure data. Unlike HDs and ODDs, it's not going anywhere. Sure I use an adapter, but it's clumsy, and have to be conscientious of bringing it with me all the time. Otherwise this is the best darn computer I've ever used. 

Leave the adapter in work, if you must use it there, yes, it's annoying, but leaving it there makes sense.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #214 of 239

Thankyou!!! Someone agrees with me :) Wizard 69 as well. 

The last I had heard was that the Macbook Pro classic was still selling better than the air..... suggesting that users may be missing something in the Air. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

post #215 of 239
To me the mac laptops are far from perfect. For all the models that dont have a GPU, at least the new intel chips will be strong enough to drive the 13" rMBP and allow to build rMBA. But that is intel innovation, not apple. If Apple only upgrade the CPU and the cameras, that would mean they didnt innovate anything in year.

I would like to see OS-X borrow the new iOS touch interface (optionnal mode) so they can build touch screen models that turn into tablets. Onthe hardware side, find a clever way to build tablet/laptops hybrids.
post #216 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Leave the adapter in work, if you must use it there, yes, it's annoying, but leaving it there makes sense.

If the only place you work is home and work that might be fine.
post #217 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I'm with you. I travel much as I can and, regardless I try to secure good hotel wherever I go, I still come across hotels with Ethernet only. Even at home, I might plug my laptop on occasion to gigabit switch to copy large amount of data accross to a server.

Amusingly the best hotels are often the worst regarding internet access.  High fees, so-so speeds and weak wifi signals or only having ethernet.  This CAN be solved with an airport express which is what I use on business travel.

Quote:
Yes of course I can use external Ethernet, external ODD & HDD, but. We will change 4 hotels and also stay with my and my wife's parents for a while, so taking care about number of easy to lose gadgets is really less convenient than a few millimetres in laptop's thickness.

This is the part that most people prefer to gloss over.  Once you factor in all the weight and bulk of external HDD, external optical, external dongles you end up with more volume and weight than a MBPc.  A retina MBP with a HDD and ethernet would be very welcome.

The other thing is that the retina screen is beautiful but SMALL.  I don't travel nearly as much as I used to so I'm 70-30 between office and road.  So 70% of the time a retina screen wouldn't be useful at all except as a secondary screen for Outlook and chat.  My primary work screen varies between a 30" and a 24" depending on where I am that day.

If I were 70-30 travel that might be different but then I'd STILL much rather have all my HDD space locked on board than have to deal with an external HDD.  For one thing it makes sleep/wake cycles a LOT less annoying.  You have to remember that you had your external hooked up and reattach it or risk data corruption.  I've also had an external get accidentally detached in a crowded table and it's also a royal pain in the ass on an airline tray table where it also can get detached.  God help you if you need both your HDD and ODD at the same time because you need to burn multiple disks for a client while on the plane.  Even in business class that's going to be annoying and these days many companies don't let you fly business class domestically.

post #218 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

To me the mac laptops are far from perfect. For all the models that dont have a GPU, at least the new intel chips will be strong enough to drive the 13" rMBP and allow to build rMBA. But that is intel innovation, not apple. If Apple only upgrade the CPU and the cameras, that would mean they didnt innovate anything in year.

I would like to see OS-X borrow the new iOS touch interface (optionnal mode) so they can build touch screen models that turn into tablets. Onthe hardware side, find a clever way to build tablet/laptops hybrids.
So copying Windows OEMs is innovation? Also these hybrid devices aren't exactly flying off the shelves so I'm not convinced that's what the majority of people want. And Apple really isn't in the business of building niche devices, which an iPad running OSX or a MacBook Air having a touch screen would be IMO.
post #219 of 239
Quote:

Thankyou!!! Someone agrees with me :) Wizard 69 as well. 

The last I had heard was that the Macbook Pro classic was still selling better than the air..... suggesting that users may be missing something in the Air. 

Can you tell us where you heard/read this?

post #220 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Most people I know with ODD-less laptops actually have external ODD, so I'm far from convinced. Was there any serious poll regarding ODD usage nowadays you can refer to, anyway?

I know of no serious poll. But I jump between the offices of a few small to medium size businesses. In one instance, they have switched entirely to either MBA or rMBP, and share 5 external optical drives amongst a staff of 123. They copy all software onto the network and install them from a centralized location. In another situation, same thing but they switched to Dell XPS models and share ~ 15 external drives amongst a staff of close to 200. I dare say 10 of those drives have never been used.

post #221 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So copying Windows OEMs is innovation? Also these hybrid devices aren't exactly flying off the shelves so I'm not convinced that's what the majority of people want. And Apple really isn't in the business of building niche devices, which an iPad running OSX or a MacBook Air having a touch screen would be IMO.

Problem with Windows 8 is they force feed the touch interface to a bunch of people who dont like innovation. They should had made the interface optionnal. They have corrected that but it may be too late. That being said, touch interface are here to stay and it will spill to the desktop to a point where OS without them will feel severely outdated.

post #222 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You are assuming things from most likely your personal perspective. For one thing the camera or back may require a computer to connect too.
Actually in some cases photographers do use a desktop class machine rolled around on a cart. This can be less than ideal. If you can come up with a laptop, with the right hardware, it can make for a far better system.

As for storing all of those photos, he probably doesn't. I can't read minds here but you would certainly want the data of current clients with you if at all possible. That might mean a couple of months or a couple of years worth of data.
It is interesting that people are demanding here that users move forward and drop their need for Ethernet and ODD but this guy wants Apple to move forward on another front and gets his post picked apart. Do you see the problem here?
Agreed, but he didn't say anything about keeping them safe on the machine, his issue is capacity to do his job and run a business.
Which is a good justification for an optical disk drive. That is if the disk can hold a days work. I wouldn't be surprised to see photographers backing up to optical disk a few times a day, in the field, for critical projects. Am alternative is to back up to something over USB such as a dongle or hard drive.

Note that these are only working backups for the days business. Archiving and storage woulda veto tak place on a separate system probably a disk array.
How many cameras can you do real time control from an iPad? Frankly iPads are of limited use for many common field photography needs.
You storage and back up problems only get worst.
Again you are looking at this from one perspective assuming your specific use case.
As much as I love my iPad I simply can't agree with you here. IPad isn't the solution for this issue.
thanks for adding perspective to my thoughts and I see you got my issues nailed!

I will use the iPad when:
- it allows me to import RAW pictures (not just JPG)
- it allows for non destructive editing (so my master files (now called "originals" on aperture since the last couple of "pseudo-updates")
- it allows me to back them up.
- it allows me to dialogue with my main aperture library on my main machine.

Apple still forces you to open a "copy" of iWork documents when on iCloud since some features are not supported.

BTW: I own an iPad and use it a lot to show work to clients, it is incredible.
I also have an appletv at the office for the very same purpose.

But when you realise that iOS and OSX are on a completely different league, then you feel let down.
I can load my music from a Mac mini machine running iTunes on my iPad or iPhone.
On my Apple TV though, I can also load my aperture library. On iPad and iOS? Nope. I have to convolutely manage the pictures (and all other pages and numbers documents) on separated iCloud folders that only exist in my cloud. Time machine is useless to back them up hourly.
Believe me, please, when i say time machine saved my arse countless times (more the ones of some at times computer wise clueless architects we have in our office...).

Delete an iCloud document? Bang. Gone forever...

Apple is the greates computer company around, but I feel their ecosystem concept is very much based on what they sell you and not what you create (pics, spreadsheets, projects, memos, designs, etc). Dare I say it? Adobe creative cloud is much more "creation friendly". So, either the iPad lives up to its huge potential, or we will have to hunt left and right for apps that do things apple is in a position to do a billion times better.
post #223 of 239
Quote:

Yes but the PPC was completly lagging behind the intel processor when they were phased out. The Classic Macbook pro is not lagging behind the PC market. 

Sigh..... I always import my CDs, I should have typed, I use my ODD to import CDs into itunes... 

DVDs aren't really meant to be ripped (Well legally) so I will play them in the drive. 

An external ODD costs $35, $79 from Apple.

post #224 of 239
Just one final clarification:
Our office has the following setup:
2 iMac 27"
1 rMBP 15"
3 iMac 21"
And my MBP 17" with 27" Cinema Display.

Remind me again how to use my 17" monitor (which could be a 15" retina monitor) when connected to the Cinema Display and viewing apps in full screen mode? Ah.... Yes. Not possible. Why I would use that? Archicad 13 on main screen and maybe mail on secondary screen. Then aperture and calendar both in full screen...

We own macs since OS 7, back when I was a little more than a kid. And I decided to go "full apple". A wise choice for so many countless reasons (it support costs brought to almost zero, lifespan of machines increased dramatically, ease of use (hence productivity) much higher and the list goes on and on).

But criticising apple for letting the "pro" label become a marketing tool and no more is made only out of respect and admiration, not for bashing or trolling. Hundreds of millions of devices sold made me happy, I don't feel the need to belong to a "hipster club", but seeing the company I like the most (and I thank the most for helping me concentrate more on getting things done) miss so many marks for so little makes me sad. And makes me critic.
post #225 of 239
The only thing i hope is an 16 GB memory on 13"retina
post #226 of 239
Originally Posted by erenbeskardes View Post
The only thing i hope is an 16 GB memory on 13"retina

Heck, 8, 16, and 32GB options across the board.

post #227 of 239

Me, I hope Apple will double the base SSD memory on both the Air and the Pro: 128 and 256 minimum for each. Because seriously, 64 and 128? That's such a shame.

post #228 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

Our personal average is 3-4 battery replacements before we typically move to a new computer (older machines end up sticking around for secondary uses (kids, kitchen/recipes/browsing, etc.). I realize this is a longer lifecycle than for some people, but these are good machines and I hate to throw them out just because their batteries are no longer up to snuff and when they can still be useful.

We also keep our Macs for a very long time. When we no longer need them they are no longer saleable.

My yr2000 Pismo PB still has a few uses for us, I have 3 batteries which are still holding in for 45 minutes each.  I may buy one more new battery for it.  A 3 yr old Netbook is currently our main travel computer, it's a snap to change it's battery.

A laptop not having an easily replaceable battery is as unacceptable for us, as a car without a full sized spare.

post #229 of 239
Improved camera seems nice(I wonder if they might have a 1200 pixel instead of 1080 to match display)
post #230 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

We also keep our Macs for a very long time. When we no longer need them they are no longer saleable.
My yr2000 Pismo PB still has a few uses for us, I have 3 batteries which are still holding in for 45 minutes each.  I may buy one more new battery for it.  A 3 yr old Netbook is currently our main travel computer, it's a snap to change it's battery.
A laptop not having an easily replaceable battery is as unacceptable for us, as a car without a full sized spare.

As far as battery life for old laptops relegated to kid duty it does not much matter. I have an old core solo mini in that kitchen recipe/kid math website role and a laptop with a defunct battery would work equally well. In fact we also have an old laptop with a battery that won't hold a charge anymore in that role for other homework.

For travel I much prefer external batteries that can be used for multiple devices more than replacement batteries that can only be used in the laptop. I use mine to power my iPad and two successive models of the MBP (the old 17" and a newer 15") as well as a dell laptop in the field and on long flights. I don't need a stack of three different replacement batteries for the MBP and Dell, nor do I have to drag out the laptop to recharge the iPad.
post #231 of 239
I want a new 17", I need the larger screen.
post #232 of 239
Originally Posted by Prouser View Post
I want a new 17", I need the larger screen.

It's not happening.

post #233 of 239
Quote:

It's not happening.

Then I'll stick with what I have until I NEED to replace it - crazy, we seem to be going backwards!

post #234 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

The processor;

16gb ram;

HOPEFUlly a 750m on the 13" and SLI 750m on the 15".

You mean a 760m or 765m on the 15? (basically double the power/shaders of the 750m)

I hope so too!

heck, throw it in the 13!

post #235 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtciti View Post

heck, throw it in the 13!

That would be hugely fantastic but probably unlikely. They had the opportunity to put in a discrete GPU in the retina 13" but choose not to.
post #236 of 239

The reply functionality is messed up on this forum. In any case, I will be the first in line for one of these new 13" machines. Whoohoo! I will give my old one away to my little brother or my nephew.

post #237 of 239
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
The reply functionality is messed up on this forum.

1. Works; has point!
2. For quoting more than one post at once.

3. For quoting a single post.

4. Does absolutely nothing whatsoever; ignore.

post #238 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prouser View Post

Then I'll stick with what I have until I NEED to replace it - crazy, we seem to be going backwards!

Backwards and forwards are concepts that lie in the beholder's POV.....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #239 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If they add retina to the air- what is the benefit to the rMBP?
People keep talking about retina for the air- I don't think we see it ever. I think it gets discontinued or they combine before that happens

There is NO WAY Apple discontinues the Air. That is the future of notebooks, like it or not. I would say that about the MBPs before I would the Air's. The Airs will be retina when the battery life and performance is within whatever standard Apple decides. That day is coming. Haswell may be the key to this happening.

Personally, I think Apple could have waited for Haswell a bit on the rMBP. Seeing how I don't have any performance specifications on the Haswell in a rMBP that is pure speculation based on how Intel seems to be with this chip.

Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals