or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals - Page 2

post #41 of 239

I have been a Mac user my whole life, and I am VERY interested in Apple. Yes I know Apple. 

 

In Australia it is illegal to convert a ripped DVD. (Well an DVD Movie) 

 

You still have not said why Apple should drop a perfectly good laptop from its lineup. You and others have said why you like the Retina pro and air better but not why Apple should drop it. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #42 of 239
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post
I have been a Mac user my whole life, and I am VERY interested in Apple. Yes I know Apple. 


From your reasoning for not discontinuing a product line, this doesn't show at all.


You still have not said why Apple should drop a perfectly good laptop from its lineup.

 

Again, yes, we have. You just refuse to accept our reasons. Sounds like someone else here.

 

I don't figure they WILL until the retinas can hit the same price points while retaining Apple's profits, but that doesn't mean the old models shouldn't be dropped as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #43 of 239

Great, my usage of Apple products from an LC 475 to my Macbook Pro is being questioned........ 

 

Right now the Macbook Pro 13 inch fills an important niche (Well at least it does in Australia) 

 

You really haven't given a reason why they should drop it- Is it because it is eating Apple's other laptop sales? Is it turning people away from the Mac? Is it cutting into Apple's profits some how? 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #44 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I know heaps of people who still use Optical disk drives. Back in 1998 the Floppy Disk drive was way too small for its time. DVDs are up to 8 GB, and in very common usage.

The capacity of a DL-DVD is a weak argument when talking about data storage. They cost too much compare to SL-DVDs.

Your arguments remind me of people complaining 2 years ago when TV Show uploaders finally announced the move from AVI/DivX to MP4/H.264. A long overdue switch from an old, inefficient codec to a modern and efficient one that is even HW decoded on every modern mobile device which caused a lot of complaints.

The most common complaint I saw was that they could no long burn the AVI to a CD to play in their DVD player. I'd wager you'll see that as a brilliant solution without consideration using a wired or wireless connection right from your device to your TV without burning CDs or DVDs. In the words of Scrooge McDuck, "Work smarter, not harder."
Quote:
No one has yet given me a reason why Apple need to pull the plug on this Macbook. 

Sure they have, you just fail to understand technology and think your specific needs are most people's needs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #45 of 239

Hahaha I fail to understand technology lol, thats a funny one. 

 

If it were just me I wouldn't be saying any of this :P My 'Job' is computer support for PC and Macs and this is a generalised thing from a lot of the people I help. 

 

You have given quite a few reasons why the other Macbooks are far better products in most ways. But not why they need to discontinue the old one. I am seriously interested in knowing why. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #46 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Great, my usage of Apple products from an LC 475 to my Macbook Pro is being questioned........ 

Your usage hasn't been questioned. The fact that no don't understand that your usage hasn't been contested speaks to the issue at hand of you not really seeing past your own needs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 239
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post
Great, my usage of Apple products from an LC 475 to my Macbook Pro is being questioned........ 

 

It just doesn't matter whatsoever to the argument at hand. Yeah, you've used 'em for a long time. That doesn't make you "right" about why you think a model should be kept around, as that's a wholly unrelated topic.


Right now the Macbook Pro 13 inch fills an important niche (Well at least it does in Australia).

 

You guys have terrible Internet speeds, draconian ISPs, and horrible prices, or so I've heard. I feel for you, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world has to suffer because a minority of Australians can't get away from discs.


Is it because it is eating Apple's other laptop sales?

 

Why would that be a reason to drop it?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #48 of 239

Again... This is not just me. Perhaps it is because a lot of the Mac users I know are PC converts and are therefore used to Optical drives? 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #49 of 239
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post
Perhaps it is because a lot of the Mac users I know are PC converts and are therefore used to Optical drives? 

 

That could very well be it, but they can get over it all the same. PC converts think a Mac actually need anti-anything software on it, after all. 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #50 of 239

Why is the rest of the world suffering from Apple keeping the classic Macbook pro? 

 

You can still go and Buy an air and a retina pro regardless of whether they are selling a 13 inch pro. Nothings stopping you or 'Making the rest of the world suffer'  

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #51 of 239
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post
Why is the rest of the world suffering from Apple keeping the classic Macbook pro? 

 

You can still go and Buy an air and a retina pro regardless of whether they are selling a 13 inch pro. Nothings stopping you or 'Making the rest of the world suffer'  

 

And now we're back to the other argument: why should a model be kept around simply because people still use it?

 

Apple would still be selling Motorola-based Macs were that the case. 1rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #52 of 239

I just want to know why people are suffering because Apple keeps a model? 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #53 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Again... This is not just me. Perhaps it is because a lot of the Mac users I know are PC converts and are therefore used to Optical drives? 

I was in an office building last week and everybody still used WinXP. Based on that people don't want Macs or newer versions of Windows¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 239

Sorry :P Wrong person.

 

Apart from Apple not bringing the price of Retina Macbook Pros down to match the price points of the classic (Which I thought was more of an issue  with the Retina display being expensive)

 

I can see what suffer means here........ I'm not dumb.  

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #55 of 239

 I have the 15in rMBP. The Optical disk drive is a waste in a laptop, even in PC world Ultrabooks don't have them anymore either. Argument is dead in the water. The only optical disk people should need is maybe a Blu-Ray player for their TV. An external drive for the occasional time you need one is fine and does the job. However, the lack of Ethernet is still a minor frustration point. Wifi may be good enough for most at home or a Starbucks; but Ethernet is still faster, more reliable, and the only way most businesses let you connect to secure data. Unlike HDs and ODDs, it's not going anywhere. Sure I use an adapter, but it's clumsy, and have to be conscientious of bringing it with me all the time. Otherwise this is the best darn computer I've ever used. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #56 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

This "analyst" appears to be speaking in utter horse shit. Apple pushes chassis design life cycles FAR longer than the MBP has been around. Haswell updates all around and a Retina panel on the Air make considerably more sense from an engineering, user experience and marketing standpoint.

 

Yep. Lets hope she is wrong because what she announced is just tasteless incremental upgrades. 

post #57 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

This "analyst" appears to be speaking in utter horse shit. Apple pushes chassis design life cycles FAR longer than the MBP has been around. Haswell updates all around and a Retina panel on the Air make considerably more sense from an engineering, user experience and marketing standpoint.

 

Yep. Lets hope she is wrong because what she announced is just tasteless incremental upgrades. 

What the hell do you want? Yes, tasteless updates to the best computers in the whole industry.

post #58 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Sorry :P Wrong person.

 

Apart from Apple not bringing the price of Retina Macbook Pros down to match the price points of the classic (Which I thought was more of an issue  with the Retina display being expensive)

 

I can see what suffer means here........ I'm not dumb.  

You realize that the build quality is better, the battery is much bigger, the thermodynamics are much more advanced...

post #59 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Again... This is not just me. Perhaps it is because a lot of the Mac users I know are PC converts and are therefore used to Optical drives? 

your usage belongs to 1990s and 2000s. It belongs there, together with the machines you want.

Is that simple. Media is digital, software is digital, portability and battery life + power is what matters, = rMBP and/or Air.

post #60 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

Is Apple on the road to merge the Air and MBP to one ultra device? Sounds great!

I hope so eventually but Intel determines the TDP of the chips. I don't like the appearance of the Air from the front because of the curvature of the base but the side wedge looks nice. I prefer the black bezel around the display too and the display could perhaps be larger inside the frame. Like the following:



Because the Air has the slimmer profile, it has a smaller battery, which a Retina display would impact. They had to increase the battery capacity in the rMBPs to get the same battery life as the cMBPs.

I'd like to see them put 3 or 4 USB ports on instead of just 2. They can have two on each side. I think they should get rid of the 11" and have either a 13" and 15" or just a 14". Worldwide, 14" and 15" make up the majority of the laptop sales.

I couldn't fit 14" into the 13" Air bezel so the chassis would have to be a bit bigger for that but 13.6" fit in ok if they wanted the dimensions to stay the same. They used to have a 13" Macbook at the entry level and then 13" Pro and 15" Pro. They could have a 13.6"/14" Air with the tapered profile non-Retina starting at $999 with 128GB SSD and ULV CPU. Then just BTO options that go up to the non-tapered, non-ULV, Retina MBP, which would have the same size chassis starting at say $1299, starting at 256GB SSD. BTO options to the 15" rMBP at $1799 and so on.

I think the fact their 15" starts at $1800 is a problem because it's the most popular form factor and if they at least had a 14" Air start at $999, it wouldn't be quite so bad.
post #61 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

However, the lack of Ethernet is still a minor frustration point. Wifi may be good enough for most at home or a Starbucks; but Ethernet is still faster, more reliable, and the only way most businesses let you connect to secure data. Unlike HDs and ODDs, it's not going anywhere. Sure I use an adapter, but it's clumsy, and have to be conscientious of bringing it with me all the time. Otherwise this is the best darn computer I've ever used. 

802.11ac will close the performance gap between GigE and WiFi, but perhaps not right away. I assume the next MBPs ail get 802.11ac and we'll get new AirPort class products that support 802.11ac. There is also the chace that the actual throughput could be lower than GigE if Apple uses a dual antennas at 80Mhz setup which will max out at 867Mb/s. Once you consider the additional overhead and other factors with the way Wi-Fi works compared to a switch it would likely be noticeably slower. Hopefully they'll use at least dual antennas at 160MHz which doubles the speed to 1.69Gb/s. I'd wager that even with the overhead it'll be faster than GigE.

What places do you use Ethernet? I use it in exactly one place so keeping my adapter on the cable add no additional hassle for me. In fact, it might make it easier to connect/disconnect since mDP doesn't have that annoying plug that RJ45 has.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/2/13 at 9:33am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #62 of 239

My usage is not from the 1990s or 2000s, you are generalising without actually knowing what I use my Macbook for. Or any technology for that matter. I am mainly an early adaptor. Its just in this case the CD drive is not obsolete for me just yet 

 

My Macbook pro is portable enough, equal build quality and has a battery life the same as the others. 

 

Software is digital but it is often cheaper to buy on disk plus I hate having to download software every time I install on a different computer/ do a clean install. 

 

I usually buy music in iTunes but often the CD will be cheaper than on iTunes and then you get the booklet.

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #63 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I think batteries are a concern. I have a mid-2007 MBP which I'm on my third battery, not counting one that was replaced (I think) due to the Sony defective battery recall. The dead batteries started pillowing pretty quickly, so you really want to get it replaced within a few days of dying, if you can't pre-empt it by getting it before it goes. On at least one, I didn't have a notice that it was dying, it just quit charging.

 

Our related concern is how long does Apple provide NEW replacement batteries on old computer products? If Apple no longer supplies them and third parties won't deal with the glue, then what?

post #64 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

My usage is not from the 1990s or 2000s, you are generalising without actually knowing what I use my Macbook for. Or any technology for that matter. I am mainly an early adaptor. Its just in this case the CD drive is not obsolete for me just yet 

 

My Macbook pro is portable enough, equal build quality and has a battery life the same as the others. 

 

Software is digital but it is often cheaper to buy on disk plus I hate having to download software every time I install on a different computer/ do a clean install. 

 

I usually buy music in iTunes but often the CD will be cheaper than on iTunes and then you get the booklet.

So keep you mac until you are ready to buy another one, or buy a low end PC (because all of those high end models and me-too copies are leaving those optical drives and HDD on the better configurations).

 

It doesn't make sense for Apple to make a Mac just for you (exaggerating, obviously). Getting rid of those cMBPs means more adoption to the other models, prices coming down, and no doubt about the optical and HDD belonging to the past. Same thing with the 30pin connector.

 

Financially and for the good and future of tech, it makes all the sense in the world to dump those machines.

post #65 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I assume your 2007 model uses the older 300 charge batteries before it gets to 80%. That means it could happen every year for a normal user but I don't think Apple moved to the built0in batteries until the 1000 cycle batteries.

This is my 2010 13' MBP battery. It's never been changed but after 3 years of use it has nearly 700 full cycles used and is at 80%. I tried to get Apple to replace it for free since they claim 1000 charges before it reaches 80% capacity but they wouldn't.



Still, I don't see this as an issue since it's not a defective battery and if I have to pay $129 every 3 or 2 years (lets say someone completely discharges their battery once per day every day for 2 years and has the same results as I do) I don't think the expense is a big deal. Certainly not big enough to warrant Apple killing the entire line so it can support 1) users who want multiple internal batteries, and 2) uses who want to save a couple dollars by replacing their own battery. It's clear that most users simply don't want to carry multiple batteries or every have battery problems they have to pay for with their notebooks.

I've never carried multiple batteries for my MBP. The expense isn't the biggest concern, although it is annoying. However, but if I wasn't able to eject the battery, I might have had a ruined chassis because the expansion in the battery adds a considerable strain. Maybe the new batteries don't expand, I don't really know, to be honest. I understand the merits of the non-removable battery, you probably will also have to be without the machine for a week or so while they replace it. Then there's the concern about your data being in someone else's hands, so there's the backup, wipe then reload on return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

Our related concern is how long does Apple provide NEW replacement batteries on old computer products? If Apple no longer supplies them and third parties won't deal with the glue, then what?


Apple still supplies batteries for the original MacBook Pro. Newertek offers batteries too, I'm trying one of theirs right now. It seems to work fine.
post #66 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Its just in this case the CD drive is not obsolete for me just yet.

And that's fine.. for you… but you're suggesting that progress needs to stop because you aren't ready for it. That's not something I can get behind. I've actually been an early adopter. I have had 3 13" MBPs that I have removed the ODD and installed an SSD to go with the HDD so I can get fast speed with high capacity. I wanted something that Apple wasn't selling so I looked for a solution that suited my needs. That's what you should be doing, not complaining that Apple is doing it all wrong.
Quote:
Software is digital but it is often cheaper to buy on disk plus I hate having to download software every time I install on a different computer/ do a clean install. 

1) How often are you doing a clean install?

2) I would wager that most of your post-OS software only comes from a download and would downloaded faster than it would take you to install and speed up an ODD. MS and Adobe certainly have large installs but even if you have some old DVD you bought years ago you'll still have plenty of updates that you'll still need to grab from a download.
Quote:
I usually buy music in iTunes but often the CD will be cheaper than on iTunes and then you get the booklet.

Sure, a lot of people do, but how many Audio CDs are you buying that you need to have an ODD in your 13" MBP at all times taking up 25% of the internal space? I would say not too many people are buying multiple CDs per day. I'd say most don't even buy 1 CD per week. You plug in the ODD to USB, copy it over and your done. You can now play it whenever you want from the HDD/SSD and copy it to any portable device you wish. This is a very common use of Audio CDs and iTunes.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/2/13 at 9:35am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #67 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

However, but if I wasn't able to eject the battery, I might have had a ruined chassis because the expansion in the battery adds a considerable strain. Maybe the new batteries don't expand, I don't really know, to be honest. I understand the merits of the non-removable battery, you probably will also have to be without the machine for a week or so while they replace it.

In my previous 13" MBP with the integrated battery it expanded so it's possible. I noticed the trackpad was really hard to press in one place. They replaced the battery and trackpad in a day. I'm sure results will vary but I'd think a week for Apple is a long time, even if you do mail it in.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #68 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Yes.  15" MBA retina or not and I'm in!

 

And how, exactly would a 15" MBA Retina be different from a 15" MBP Retina? (Let me guess: shorter battery life in the Air, because the Pro is obviously weighed down by that gigantic 8-hr battery /s).

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #69 of 239
So why is Apple still selling the iPad 2 with the outdated 30-pin connector? If the cMBP is still selling well and Apple has data that shows its not just because of price I can see them continuing to sell it. If its because of price and Apple can get the prices down on the rMBP then I think the cMBP will be discontinued.
post #70 of 239

Again I'm not asking for progress to stop, and its not just the minority. I'm not complaining that Apple is doing any thing wrong either. I have also got my solution. Thinking that they might discontinue the classic pro when the 13 inch retina came out I decided to upgrade to the last proper classic pro. My next Macbook will be a retina or an air, as by then I will have left optical drives behind and will have an iMac with an external optical drive in case. 

 

I clean install ever 6 months or so. Sometimes sooner. I've also got to do the rest of my families Macs yearly. 

 

My Software is all pretty new and is a lot faster to install off an optical disk for the time being. We are a few years off getting the National Broadband network. I'd love to have final cut and iWork on disk... it would save a lot of time. 

 

My software includes; iWork, iLife, Office, CS 5, Final Cut Pro X,  Xcode, Guitar Pro, Games, Toast Titanium, Reunion and a heap of others.

 

Its not just Audio cds, Its watching DVDs, playing games, easily archiving stuff as a backup away from home (I don't want to waste money on a harddrive for it to sit at a relatives place) and because I have a laptop I don't want an external CD drive. As I said when I have money and upgrade in 4 years or so I probably won't even need an optical disk drive. 

 

And its not just the optical disk drive I like, I love being able to upgrade the RAM and Harddrive, unlike the other Macbooks. The same as with the battery. At this point in time getting a 750 GB SDD is stupidly expensive. In 4 years it won't be (Then again it will be small in 4 years :P ) 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #71 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So why is Apple still selling the iPad 2 with the outdated 30-pin connector? If the cMBP is still selling well and Apple has data that shows its not just because of price I can see them continuing to sell it. If its because of price and Apple can get the prices down on the rMBP then I think the cMBP will be discontinued.

1) Sure, if there is a big enough market to warrant keeping it in the line-up they will just like with the iPod Classic. I could even see them not updating the internals or consolidating it into one model, either 13" or 15", just like they did with the iPod Classic.

2) I think the drop of the 2010 iPod Touches with the 30-pin connector may indicate that we'll see all devices with the 30-pin connectors go away this year. That would mean no iPhone 4S or iPod 2, at least not without a redesign. One could argue that with multiple devices in a line up that keeping older devices makes less sense. They typically haven't kept older iPods or Macs on the showroom floor. Only the iPad and iPhone had older versions selling as new consistently and we now have the iPad mini and there are rumours of the iPhone branching out, too.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #72 of 239

Whoever this `analyst' is they definitely just recycle words nearly verbatim from discussions held in the past two days between fans after the first Haswell tests were published at Anandtech, The Verge and other places. Then again with Haswell running hotter than Ivy Bridge the odds of a thinner form factor seems slim to none.
 

post #73 of 239
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I clean install ever 6 months or so. Sometimes sooner. I've also got to do the rest of my families Macs yearly. 

 

WH~Y?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #74 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


802.11ac will close the performance gap between GigE and WiFi, but perhaps not right away. I assume the next MBPs ail get 802.11ac and we'll get new AirPort class products that support 802.11ac. There is also the chace that the actual throughput could be lower than GigE if Apple uses a dual antennas at 80Mhz setup which will max out at 867Mb/s. Once you consider the additional overhead and other factors with the way Wi-Fi works compared to a switch it would likely be noticeably slower. Hopefully they'll use at least dual antennas at 160MHz which doubles the speed to 1.69Gb/s. I'd wager that even with the overhead it'll be faster than GigE.

What places do you use Ethernet? I use it in exactly one place so keeping my adapter on the cable add no additional hassle for me. In fact, it might make it easier to connect/disconnect since mDP doesn't have that annoying plug that RJ45 has.

 

I use Ethernet [at home on my network] and at every consulting job I've ever worked for within the Fortune 1000.

post #75 of 239

Because Mountain Lion likes to slow down after a while. (Eg boot times randomly going to 1:30 minutes  from the usual 30 seconds. There are a lot of Mac people who do regular clean installs :)

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Reply
post #76 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I clean install ever 6 months or so.

1oyvey.gif You're doing it wrong.
Quote:
My software includes; iWork, iLife, Office, CS 5, Final Cut Pro X,  Xcode, Guitar Pro, Games, Toast Titanium, Reunion and a heap of others.

1) Again, I bet most of your SW doesn't even come on an optical disc and then you have all the downloads to update and patch it once you do use the very few DVDs you have for apps to install a very small number of albeit large apps.

2) Xcode? Really? Are you using Leopard?
Quote:
As I said when I have money and upgrade in 4 years or so I probably won't even need an optical disk drive. 

Why not when you're so sure you need one now? In 4 years you're more likely to want Blu-ray on your Mac than DVD. Aren't you wanting Apple to use a tray-loading BRD so you can play movies on your laptop off a disk?
Quote:
I love being able to upgrade the RAM and Harddrive, unlike the other Macbooks. The same as with the battery.

Now we finally come to the real reason you dislike the new RMBPs.

To sum up: You want to to use your ODD as often as possible and even though you still don't use it often you still want to carry it around with you all the time taking up 25% of your system's internal space without any interest without having an actually more functional and better machine that can still utilize an ODD on the occasion you do actual need one. I think the reason you want to keep it is the same reason you think a Mac needs a biannual or annual reinstall.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/2/13 at 10:06am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #77 of 239
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
To sum up: You want to to use your ODD as often as possible and even though you still don't use it often you still want to carry it around with you all the time taking up 25% of your system's internal space without any interest without having an actually more functional and better machine that can still utilize an ODD on the occasion you do actual need one.

 

I'd sig this, but it'd screw up formatting.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #78 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I don't know a single person who has been happy about the lack of Optical Disk drive on Macs.... I use mine all the time for reading Audio Cds, Burning DVDs, Burning CDs with Data, Backup, Watching DVDs ect. 

 

My point is why people want to kill this Mac? What is it doing- Its not Harming anyone. 3 of my friends bought the same Macbook as me last year (PC converts) as the retina Macbook is way too expensive for storage space. 

 

1. And, consequently, I don't know a single person who does care about an optical drive in a laptop anymore. I know several people who bought a Macbook Air. See how analogies work? I also don't know a single person that does those things you do in the 1st paragraph, and it seems like you enjoy being stuck in the past even if it takes more effort and inconvenience to accomplish anything. Reading Audio CDs? Why not just rip them and never have to insert the CD again? You burn data and backup on DVDs? That's an utterly archaic method of backing up Data, and there are so many superior methods available. Watching DVDs? There's a reason DVD rental stores have pretty much all gone out of business. Using your niche use cases and that of a couple people you know is not evidence that there is "demand" for any of these things. Unless you can prove that millions of people are clamoring for the same thing, your point is moot. For the past 2 years, I haven't once encountered a situation where I needed or wanted to insert an optical disk into my computer- and I use it for many, many tasks. Every single thing you mention that you're using an optical drive for can be accomplished more efficiently and easily using a myriad of other methods, without the need for a bulky, noise, power-hungry, unreliable component that is obsolete. 

 

This is the same story with every single technology that Apple retired, with people like ou whining that Apple is cutting out a massive portion of its customer base. And every single time Apple's sales and success have skyrocketed. What does that tell you? 

 

2. "What is it doing- Its not Harming anyone."

 

It blows my mind that some people who claim to like Apple and have followed them for a while don't have a shred of insight about the philosophy of the company. From what you've seen, Apple is the type of company that just leaves its older products for sale because "they're not harming anyone?"  Really? Why not just leave all their older models hanging around in the store? And yes, there are several ways it "harms" a company like Apple. 

 

a. Makes the product line more complex, which Apple hates

b. Creates more customer confusion. Customers have to compare and contrast more models and makes a decision more difficult

c. Eats up manufacturing capability which can be used towards improving scale and efficiency of other products

d. Slows adoption of newer technologies that Apple wants to push people towards (SSD, etc)

e. Takes up extremely valuable retail shelf space

f. Takes up support resources, and adds more configurations that its software needs to run and be tested on

g. The optical and hard drives are by far the most unreliable and error prone component of any laptop. Since these are most likely to fail, overall would decrease satisfaction ratings

 

Etc. There's always "harm" in leaving older models for sales, especially for a company like Apple. You just need to think about it for a few seconds to realize what the harm is. Apple is known for it's relentless focus, simple product lines, and culling of older technologies to move things forward. Keeping these machines goes against all of that, and I for one hope they drop them at WWDC. I'm sure you can adapt if you updated your methods for this decade, like millions of others have. That makes more sense than demanding that Apple continue selling an older line of laptops which include technologies they've deprecated in every single other product. 

post #79 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Why is everyone so Anti the old Macbook Pro? 

 

I bought last years model and I love mine. Some people need ethernet and an Optical drive. Apple would be  alienating a lot of people if they got rid of the 13 inch classic pro, because believe it or not a lot of people like having ports and an Optical drive. Schools especially need the 13 Inch Macbook pro, or Apple needs to upgrade it and rename it the Macbook again. 

 

Seeing as I was upgrading from a 2008 Plastic Macbook, the classic MB 13 inch was perfect. Optical drive, Upgradable RAM, Upgradable Harddrive and affordable. Both the air and the Pro retina are far too expesnive. There is no way that I could afford 8 GB of ram and a 750 GB Harddrive on either (I don't even think the SDD on the air goes up to 750 GB)

The Old MBP is an excellent machine. If you replace the DV drive with an SSD (and keep the DVD drive as an external drive) - it is an even better machine imo. Or if you need the optical drive in the machine, just upgrade the HD to an SSD. It is an awesome upgrade.

post #80 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In my previous 13" MBP with the integrated battery it expanded so it's possible. I noticed the trackpad was really hard to press in one place. They replaced the battery and trackpad in a day. I'm sure results will vary but I'd think a week for Apple is a long time, even if you do mail it in.

That's good to hear.

My local Apple store doesn't strike me as the kind that would replace an internal battery in house. Distance from a repair center could factor greatly in turnaround time, depending on how it is shipped.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals