or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Back panel claimed to be for Apple's low-cost iPhone shows curved design, Lightning port
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Back panel claimed to be for Apple's low-cost iPhone shows curved design, Lightning port - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perhaps not this image but I think there is a case to be made for Apple making a low-cost iPhone for 1) China Mobile, India, et al., and 2) removing the iPhone 4S from the lineup so that 3.5" and the 30-pin dock connector can be eliminated in favour of 4" and Lightning port.

Release iPhone 5s, drop price of iPhone 5. Issue solved.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

I don't believe this for a second.

I'm always suspect when there's nothing of the front, preferably video so we can see it is the same unit.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

1biggrin.gif   what a fake 1biggrin.gif

the best possible scenario for this photo is iPhone 5 in very ugly case, blown in the middle...
Maybe the bulge in the middle is the answer to all those folks who want Apple to stop making it thin and give it a bigger battery instead?
post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, going to a plastic case might have significant savings. You eliminate the cost of the aluminum (which is minor) but also all the machining costs. Quality control costs might well be lower.

However, I think your latter point is the relevant one. It's not about cost - it's about features/selling. Apple could probably introduce a low cost phone even with a metal case without having a large impact on profitability. The problem is that they can't afford for a low cost phone to cannibalize their premium phones - and a plastic case will help with that objective.

I'm not so sure you are right in that almost every Apple product that uses plastic, uses carbonate plastic and machines that plastic just as if it was aluminium, using essentially the same process. Typically it's the machining of one single piece of plastic as opposed to the more complicated metallic construction of the iPhone 5, but its a very similar type of manufacturing.
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Why is it that leakers can't focus cameras?

Funny observation, Chab. Made me laugh! :)

post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Apple better releases a bigger screen iPhone this year. They can call it iPhone 6, iPhone Max, or iPhone Jumbo, whatever they want. Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. pretty much every phone maker has a phone with screens bigger than the iPhone 5. Those phones have come to define what a "premium" phone looks like. The iPhone 5 should have had a bigger screen than 4", just when the concept of big screen phone started to take over the industry. Apple suffered a one-year lag, and if they don't fix it until next year, I'm afraid it may be too late.

How did Apple suffer a lag? The iPhone is still the most popular in the world. Apple will release a 5" iPhone as a complement if and only if it could be done without trade offs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not entirely true. Apple has often sold products that might be considered 'low end'. For example, when the MBA came out, none of the Ultrabooks could beat the price. For a long time, Apple's larger iMac was very price-competitive.

Rather than 'low end', consider it as a 'value' product. Apple will not make junk, but there's no reason they can't use their supply chain and manufacturing expertise to make a quality product that provides a lower price than they have traditionally offered.

That's a common business strategy that only rarely gets executed well - enter a market with a premium product and create a solid and loyal customer base. Use your expertise in the market to find cost reduction strategies to allow you to reduce your costs enough to also compete at lower prices - displacing low priced junk with low priced quality products.

The challenge is not so much introducing a low priced product - Apple can easily do that. The challenge is making it appealing enough to attract new customers without greatly cannibalizing your premium customers.

The MBA isnt "low end. " it was higher priced than other laptops.
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

. . . They can call it . . . iPhone Jumbo . . .

I think they should call it iPhone zoffdino in your honor.
post #48 of 64
Wall Street=greed
They want Apple to shell out a cheapo iPhone just so they can create their predictions on the number that will sell and therefore raise the stock prices. Then they'll over speculate on the number that can be sold and when Apple has their quarterly report and the numbers don't add up.... BOOM!
The stock drops and the suckers that bought at the top get fu****!
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Actually, going to a plastic case might have significant savings. You eliminate the cost of the aluminum (which is minor) but also all the machining costs. Quality control costs might well be lower.

However, I think your latter point is the relevant one. It's not about cost - it's about features/selling. Apple could probably introduce a low cost phone even with a metal case without having a large impact on profitability. The problem is that they can't afford for a low cost phone to cannibalize their premium phones - and a plastic case will help with that objective.

 

I understand your point regarding Machining and QC, will have to wait to see if they really do release a low cost phone. I for one would sacrifice the materiality of the Aluminum build and buy a low cost iPhone ONLY IF the technology, specs and functionality was not reduced in any way. The reason being Ive always had a plastic protective case on the back of my iPhone anyway...the gorgeous diamond cut chamfered edges rarely see the light of day on my iPhone 5.

post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Perhaps not this image but I think there is a case to be made for Apple making a low-cost iPhone for 1) China Mobile, India, et al., and 2) removing the iPhone 4S from the lineup so that 3.5" and the 30-pin dock connector can be eliminated in favour of 4" and Lightning port.


This may be a prototype for a mold. Yes, aluminum may be cheaper or about same price as plastic, but maybe if this is true, plastic would be poised as a "lesser" element compared to sleek aluminum.

 

Apple doesn't need the low-end, of course. They just need the middle and/or middle-class around the world who can't afford an iPhone now.

 

No reason to race to bottom. They do that now for laptops. Apple is doing pretty well by staying away from the low-end.

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

 

I am not so convinced that "big screen phones started to take over the industry". For me this is mainly a niche for geeks (no offence intended!). People who are actually using a phone on the go want to make calls, text/email and look up directions or some things on the net. Even for casual games you don't need a big screen.

 

Mistaken, much mistaken, my friend. There exists a substantial number of people like you, who value the small screen and the portability. There are also a substantial number of people, like my 45 year old aunts, who look at an S2 (yes, that old) and think it's more powerful than the iPhone 5 due solely to the bigger screen. She play casual games, make phone calls, send text messages, browse the internet, etc. She's hardly geeky, and when my 60-something parents saw her S2, they think my iPhone 4S is older, slower, less capable. It's all in the impression.

 

When Apple releases the original iPhone back in 2007, it defines the "look" of a premium, top-end phone: all touch, large screen (I think 3.5" was largest at the time),  lots of nice graphics, do a ton more than just making phone calls. Everyone copied that design, and now they are making it larger. Apple somehow still stubbornly refuses to do it. Every $400+ these days have larger screens than a $600 iPhone. It's hard to recommend friends and relatives to choose the iPhone when they see a competitor and say "but this one has a bigger screen". 

post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Apple doesn't need the low-end, of course. They just need the middle and/or middle-class around the world who can't afford an iPhone now.

 

No reason to race to bottom. They do that now for laptops. Apple is doing pretty well by staying away from the low-end.

it's all about mind share. When your platform falls from 20% of the smartphone base, to 10% and finally 5%, much fewer developers will develop apps for your platform. Windows, Blackberry, Bada, etc. are all suffering from the same problem. Apple needs the cheaper phone, not because of the profit they will make on it, but just to keep the mind share at a high enough level for people to work on their platform. They made a mistake in the late 80s, and that made them go for years without much third party software when those exploded on the Windows platform. A lesson from the past, better be learned than ignored.

post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I understand your point regarding Machining and QC, will have to wait to see if they really do release a low cost phone. I for one would sacrifice the materiality of the Aluminum build and buy a low cost iPhone ONLY IF the technology, specs and functionality was not reduced in any way. The reason being Ive always had a plastic protective case on the back of my iPhone anyway...the gorgeous diamond cut chamfered edges rarely see the light of day on my iPhone 5.

You're dreaming. There's no way Apple is going to release a low cost phone with all the same technology, specs, and functionality as the high end phone. That would cost them billions in revenue. There are a lot of people who don't care about the appearance - only what the phone will do (especially since the phone is in a case, anyway). Everyone one of those people (which includes me) would immediately switch to the low cost iPhone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not so sure you are right in that almost every Apple product that uses plastic, uses carbonate plastic and machines that plastic just as if it was aluminium, using essentially the same process. Typically it's the machining of one single piece of plastic as opposed to the more complicated metallic construction of the iPhone 5, but its a very similar type of manufacturing.

Where did you get that? What Apple products use machined plastic? My old iPods were molded plastic. There may have been a little machining for cleanup, but the part itself was clearly molded. Look at the surface finish - that's not machined.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

Apple will NOT release a bigger screen for any iPhone or iPod touch. They keep it "simple" for developers, and a second screen resolution would NOT help.

Second? Since you're obviously not conversant with Apple technology, why are you commenting at all?

Developers already support at lest 3 different iPhone resolutions.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

it's all about mind share. When your platform falls from 20% of the smartphone base, to 10% and finally 5%, much fewer developers will develop apps for your platform. Windows, Blackberry, Bada, etc. are all suffering from the same problem. Apple needs the cheaper phone, not because of the profit they will make on it, but just to keep the mind share at a high enough level for people to work on their platform. They made a mistake in the late 80s, and that made them go for years without much third party software when those exploded on the Windows platform. A lesson from the past, better be learned than ignored.

This is not the PC wars part deux. Devs still make more money from iOS. As a platform, you need to add iPad and the touch to the iPhone to get a true market share.
post #57 of 64

MacRumors proved this was an iPhone 5 case.

post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nonsense.

I ain't typing anything into Google! First of all, the level of intelligence that uses Google doesn't have any business setting the name for one of the most popular electronics products on the planet.

I think it's ludicrously likely. Occam's razor says they should call it simply "iPhone", but we know the most intelligent thing isn't what they're after anymore. lol.gif

Of course it's possible that it will just be called the iPhone, or the iPhone (v6.8) lol.gif

The comment about Google just refers to the "trending" popular name in all media, not just tech media. If that isn't definitive enough (though it is perfectly scientific), think of the perception of the S products in the media. They're not milestones. Certainly not revolutionary. The look on Tim Cook's face when questioned by Mossberg was enough. They can't release a 5S in this climate.
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Perhaps not this image but I think there is a case to be made for Apple making a low-cost iPhone for 1) China Mobile, India, et al., and 2) removing the iPhone 4S from the lineup so that 3.5" and the 30-pin dock connector can be eliminated in favour of 4" and Lightning port.


Well I know there is case in India,but few in this discussion always say it not required. If Apple did make a low-cost, high- quality iPhone. I really think that Apple's brand image would sell the phone especially in India/China and Indonesia.

As for the comments about larger screen for next generation iPhone, Apple have to be careful, not to increase the size too much and I could see the screen going to 4.5-4.6", but any larger very much doubt it.

I see someone is up to their usual behaviour. I wonder why people hide behind computer screens to be rude.

post #60 of 64

lol I've seen better fake samples :P

post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First off it is inexpensive not low end. It is still a smart phone after all. Beyond that I'd rather have an inexpensive iPhone than to waste money on an excessive expensive device. I'd much rather dedicate my computing cash to a high end iPad. For my needs iPad is a better value.

+ 1

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


Release iPhone 5s, drop price of iPhone 5. Issue solved.

$549 ($679 in Australia) off contract is still too expensive. Unless they gimp the RAM of course...

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
post #63 of 64
Barf. It looks like a Samsung.
post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Why is it that leakers can't focus cameras?

 

its like the UFO's pics...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Back panel claimed to be for Apple's low-cost iPhone shows curved design, Lightning port
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Back panel claimed to be for Apple's low-cost iPhone shows curved design, Lightning port