or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iOS 7 screens may show flat effects of Jony Ive's influence

Purported iOS 7 screens may show flat effects of Jony Ive's influence

post #1 of 107
Skeuomorphism appears to be on the way out in the newest version of Apple's iOS platform, as a new screenshot claims to show iOS 7 with aspects of the much anticipated "flat" design aesthetic brought in by Sir Jony Ive.

no stairway

The shot, while blurry, shows what is alleged to be an unreleased version of iOS running on likely an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4. The build does not appear to bear any massive changes to the user interface, but a close look shows that the icons are less complicated than they are in current builds of iOS, and a reconstruction of the images by iDownloadBlog shows why: they are missing a layer of gloss.

screenshot

Many app icons in current builds of iOS ? including the App Store, Music, iTunes, Compass, Clock, Safari, and others ? feature a layer of gloss, a translucent layer over part of the icon that makes it appear to "pop" with a three-dimensional effect. The purported new build of iOS, though, abandons this effect, giving all of Apple's stock icons a unified, "flat" look.

The flat look is said to be one of the pet projects for Apple design head Jony Ive. Made head of not only hardware design but interface design in the wake of Scott Forstall's ouster, Ive is reported to have immediately begun pushing the software and hardware teams at Apple to begin working more closely.

no skeuo

Supposedly one of the first things up for reworking was the "skeuomorphic" aesthetic ? epitomized by things like the Calendar app's faux stitched leather interface or the green felt table in Game Center ? seen throughout iOS. Ive's guidance, though, has also led to the disappearance of some other aspects of the operating system.

The Weather icon appears to no longer have a static display of 73 degrees as its temperature. Also, the Settings and Reminders app icons may lose their borders, as they are the only two among Apple's 24 stock icons that include a defined border. The Game Center icon, too, has seen significant changes, and now appears to feature a much simpler design.

Apple is scheduled to reveal the newest versions of not only iOS but also Mac OS X at next week's WWDC.
post #2 of 107

Getting rid of the gloss wasn't top of my priority list for UI change. I hope there is more in the actual apps.

post #3 of 107

Camera icon is WAY better.

Weather icon is balanced nicely but doesn't seem to fit in.

Safari icon looks too busy.

post #4 of 107
This is making me excited for some big changes at WWDC! Those icons already look cleaner and brighter, even if not drastically so.
post #5 of 107

The neon green on the Phone icon is too much.

Music icon looks kind of weak; too small.

Scrapping the border on Settings looks great.

post #6 of 107
But Newstand isn't changed? I call BS.
post #7 of 107
Really?

You had to make this detailed INFO GRAPHIC just to explain that it's not glossy anymore?

C'mon... lol.gif

post #8 of 107

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. No UI gloss, still richly colored and deeply detailed. I want a more pronounced drop shadow, but that's me.

If real, I love it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #9 of 107

It would be nice if the Weather app displayed dynamic content like the current temperature, like Calendar shows the current date.

post #10 of 107
You guys are acting a bit like this is great...it's halfassed. The icons aren't really any different (at least from what we can tell from this 1992 QuickTake blurrycam pic) and some of them like weather, safari and mail still feature useless design "chaff": i.e. Do we REALLY need the sky background on the mail icon? Seriously?
post #11 of 107

It could be possible that this is an earlier build.  Things change even during the beta process.  

post #12 of 107
I hope having something as trivial as new icons is an indicator that they've already completed more important functional improvements iOS needs. I don't really care if it's got a pretty new skin.
post #13 of 107
What kind of idiot can't take a sharp photo these days?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 107

I don't see what the big deal is about this. So, some of the Apple icons will look slightly different? That's hardly a huge OS overhaul. If there are some great new features in iOS7, then fine, but I don't really give a crap about these icons at all. Do I really care if an icon has a gloss layer or not? 

I hide some of the Apple apps in folders, the ones that I don't use. And I'd imagine that most people's screens are covered with third party app icons, which can be anything from glossy and colorful to dull and boring. Is Apple going to demand only "flat" icons from now on, even from third party developers? I doubt it. I fail to see how Apple changing some it's own icons will drastically change the look or feel of iOS. 

I look forward to some new features in iOS7, but I can't get excited over a few icons.

post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The photographer was using an Android phone.

post #16 of 107
Much more subtle than I expected, couldn't tell the difference between old and new at first.
post #17 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fradette View Post

It would be nice if the Weather app displayed dynamic content like the current temperature, like Calendar shows the current date.

Even nicer would be to delete it altogether if I don't want it on my iPhone. :D
post #18 of 107
Subtle changes, but definitely looks more refined. I like it.
post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The photographer was using an Android phone.

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Subtle changes, but definitely looks more refined. I like it.

You have to keep in mind this is likely phony.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 107
Wow, and I thought everything was going to be black and white from what was reported previously 1smile.gif
post #22 of 107

Where did the large image at the top of this story came from?

The only thing I don't like about this change (assuming this isn't just some artists rendition of "what it would look like if the gloss were removed) is the removal of the subtle backgrounds as well.

Pull out your iPhone and compare the current camera and phone icons with what's shown.  The new "flat" versions get rid of a nice, subtle striped background for Phone, and a shade gradient from Camera.  In fact the Camera icon today doesn't have the standard gloss, so all the change was to make the background more dull.  If that's what "flat" means then no thanks.

Hopefully this is just someone's guess about what the Ives' aethetic is.  The subtle attention to detail on hardware like the power button on the wireless peripherials suggest that there's more to it than "boring is good."

post #23 of 107
I think the Game Center icon might be three balloons.
post #24 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

You guys are acting a bit like this is great...it's halfassed. The icons aren't really any different (at least from what we can tell from this 1992 QuickTake blurrycam pic) and some of them like weather, safari and mail still feature useless design "chaff": i.e. Do we REALLY need the sky background on the mail icon? Seriously?

Yeah, you're right, they're not completely different. Then again, there's hundreds of millions of people out there for whom the icons are synonymous with those functions, and unless you have some icon design in mind thats radically better than these, I don't see what the benefit of completely changing the iconography would be. Just to confuse the **** out of people? Even changing the background color would do this, as the colors of these icons are pretty much instinct now. 

post #25 of 107
Looks really good... Nice changes. Still looks like an iPhone but refreshed. I thought it was kind of funny when people derided the new design before they even saw it… Based off of a one word description. Especially when the word flat can mean many things.
post #26 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Especially when taking a screen shot from the phone is trivially easy.

post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fradette View Post

This.  Seems easy and opening weather app isn't hard or anything but a quick glance to see temperature would be great.  

post #28 of 107

I think these are generally an improvement. Dropping the gloss/shine/reflection is a good move.

Additional changes that I'd make:

• square up the icon corners (a bit). Not perfectly square corners, but not as rounded as they are now.
  • drop the background on the Mail icon, Safari icon and screen
  • weather icon not bad, but feels like the sun should be centered top-to-bottom and, perhaps slightly more icon-ized and less picture-ized

But I also agree with other posters that the visuals are not the whole story.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #29 of 107
It's pretty sad that rumor sites are so hard up for "news" they'll post anything. 1rolleyes.gif

Mark Gurman from 9to5Mac tweeted that this is a really OLD screen shot and A LOT of things have changed since.

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/341381207675764736
@MikeBeas @9to5mac yes the image is SUPER OLD.
9:29pm - 2 Jun 13

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/341406127709368320
Twitter is down and won't let me access this tweet right now but it was to say that a lot has changed and that screen shot ws definitely an EARLY version of iOS 7.
post #30 of 107
Rounded corners suck REALLY bad.
post #31 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It could be possible that this is an earlier build.  Things change even during the beta process.  
It is. This is a VERY early version. Do people really think Ive is going to leave newsstand with that awful bookshelf icon?

According to Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac, who has reported on some of the changes and seems in the know, the big changes for iOS 7 are the UI, apps and lock screen. With no lock screen details leaking because its highly confidential.
post #32 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The shot, while blurry, shows what is alleged to be an unreleased version of iOS running on likely an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4... 

Jeez... AI is really going downhill.  Why stop at this fake photo?  Start posting some Kardashian pics while you're at it!

If this is running on a phone, can someone please explain why the borders don't match with the phone?  This pic is so fake it's laughable.

I'm just shaking my head in disappointment that garbage like this even gets this far.  Come on AI.  Step up will you?

post #33 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Getting rid of the gloss wasn't top of my priority list for UI change. I hope there is more in the actual apps.

I think if they are going flat it will be more than this. Like plain color backgrounds, perhaps to make scalable art

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #34 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by japm View Post

Really?

You had to make this detailed INFO GRAPHIC just to explain that it's not glossy anymore?

C'mon... lol.gif

How about confusing software and hardwre

post #35 of 107
It is hard to not feel a little uneasy about the changes without having seen what Jony's take is on software. The one comfort I do have is I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that he will be able to a good hand in making the look and feel consistent across the board for Apple stuff. Although at times I have looked at the skeuomorphic approach and initially thought it was cool it too was only chrome and typically something as such that was not as consistent. I think (hope) that Jony will have taken an approach that will help with the identity without making it look sterile. As the UI gets more complex it becomes more important that users have an expectation for how something works. An app that has an easily discoverable set of features is of much greater value to me and my clients than one that sacrifices some of that to make it cute.

I will be waiting anxiously to see what appears ahead.
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

Wow, and I thought everything was going to be black and white from what was reported previously 1smile.gif

That's for the budget phone

post #37 of 107
I'm sure it will be a zippier as well since the GPU won't be taxed as much to do the Gloss layer. Just a hunch.
post #38 of 107

I'm more interested in a better way for switching between apps, I would like the weather app to always have the current weather in the little red dot.  Faster access to certain frequently changed settings.  I'm constantly switching on/off Bluetooth, tethering, WiFi, backing up, etc.

post #39 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

How about confusing software and hardwre

What? I have no clue what you're saying.

The info graphic only shows that the icons are not glossy anymore....I think it's ridiculous to create an info graphic for that.

post #40 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Much more subtle than I expected, couldn't tell the difference between old and new at first.

The changes are in line with what I had hoped for and expected. They'll only very gradually change the look and feel of icons and UI so as not to alienate or confuse users.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iOS 7 screens may show flat effects of Jony Ive's influence