or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iOS 7 screens may show flat effects of Jony Ive's influence

Purported iOS 7 screens may show flat effects of Jony Ive's influence - Page 2

post #41 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Skeuomorphism appears to be on the way out in the newest version of Apple's iOS platform, as a new screenshot claims to show iOS 7 with aspects of the much anticipated "flat" design aesthetic brought in by Sir Jony Ive.

Supposedly one of the first things up for reworking was the "skeuomorphic" aesthetic ? epitomized by things like the Calendar app's faux stitched leather interface or the green felt table in Game Center ? seen throughout iOS. Ive's guidance, though, has also led to the disappearance of some other aspects of the operating system.

This is getting like when people keep saying 'I could care less' in the hope that prolonged usage will change its meaning - simply prefacing it with 'as if' would make it correct. They'd have to get rid of the icon of a letter, an old-fashioned telephone, the sun and clouds etc for skeuomorphism to be on the way out so prefacing it with 'some' would be correct i.e 'some skeuomorphsm is on the way out'. The only indication from flat shaded icons is that they are matching how they present icons on OS X - Federighi is in charge of both now so they'll be more consistent. They stripped the glossy aqua style from OS X too (and that wasn't referred to as skeuomorphism - not that the description isn't suitable but it applies as much to drop shadows as it does to gloss):

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/11/inside_mac_os_x_10_7_apple_to_strip_most_aqua_gloss

We'll only be able to tell if the fake leather and Game Center style is gone once we see the apps and even then, the majority of the skeuomorphic elements will remain.

This also doesn't look like as big of a change as some people expected. People who call it stale for not having widgets slapped all in front of everything. Widgets should be done like Dashboard and only used when people want, they shouldn't be front and center like on Android and Windows Phone. They could expand the Notification Center to have a widget API. Notifications would just push widget info down or there could be a tab on it. This way, widgets can be accessed while inside an app e.g seeing the weather while staying in the maps app.
post #42 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't see what the big deal is about this. So, some of the Apple icons will look slightly different? That's hardly a huge OS overhaul. If there are some great new features in iOS7, then fine, but I don't really give a crap about these icons at all. Do I really care if an icon has a gloss layer or not? 

I hide some of the Apple apps in folders, the ones that I don't use. And I'd imagine that most people's screens are covered with third party app icons, which can be anything from glossy and colorful to dull and boring. Is Apple going to demand only "flat" icons from now on, even from third party developers? I doubt it. I fail to see how Apple changing some it's own icons will drastically change the look or feel of iOS. 

I look forward to some new features in iOS7, but I can't get excited over a few icons.

Well, you're right; it's nothing worth getting excited over. The truth is that 99% of Apple customers will not give a hoot about changes to the icons.

I blame Tim Cook for the dull Apple rumours these days. Last year he said he'd double-down on security, which gave everyone a good laugh with all the iPhone leaks that followed. This year, he's got Apple buttoned up so tightly that any sliver of a rumour, no matter how ridiculous, is repeated for weeks on end.  

Flat icons? Really? That's all anyone can find out? I thought this was supposed to be journalism?

If I thought that running a website was as easy as writing the word 'skeuomorphism' over and over again then I would have started one years ago.

post #43 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. No UI gloss, still richly colored and deeply detailed. I want a more pronounced drop shadow, but that's me.

If real, I love it.

You're right about the more pronounced drop shadow. I'd prefer that, too.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #44 of 107

WOW, people really think this is a real photo... the bloody icons don't even line up correctly.  Unless it has a curving screen on it.  Bottom icons line up pretty good, and along the right, but look at the left side... the icons are getting cut off.  So, printout on paper overlayed on a iPhone screen.  The top bar is clear, but the icons/screen is blurry?  And look at bottom, no bar under the base icons.

Just hold your kittens for another week, and Apple will actually make a formal announcement on what is going on.  You waited this long, another week won't kill ya.

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

post #45 of 107
Is there like a wave effect on the blurry image or do the icons wave upwards when you hover over them with your thumb? They look as if they tilt with the gyroscope... ??
I also don't see a dock.

And to point something else out, this is running on an iPhone 5, you can see that the title bar with the time is at least a cm above the OS.

So either this was a picture sent to an iPhone 5 user, then he took a picture of it... or they are they aren't using privacy filters any longer.

One last thing... while the icons do look more like they would be in iOS 7 why is the background the one found in iOS 6 by default when you restore it?

I think this is a theme on Cydia made by someone else that doesn't work at Apple.
Also the music note in the music icon doesn't have a drop shadow like the rest.
Edited by darkdefender - 6/3/13 at 2:32pm

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #46 of 107
This is a fake. The screen is skewed, it doesn't cover all the way to the top of the info bar, and only the main part of the screen has the weird pixelated look, not the top info bar. The icons are not cut off uniformly when swiping between screens, as is normal with all versions of iOS. Its, at best, a bad copy/paste of someones mediocre concept design
post #47 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What kind of idiot can't take a sharp photo these days?

Someone in an Apple lab with an old candy bar phone down their trousers?
post #48 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by photofire View Post

This is a fake. The screen is skewed, it doesn't cover all the way to the top of the info bar, and only the main part of the screen has the weird pixelated look, not the top info bar. The icons are not cut off uniformly when swiping between screens, as is normal with all versions of iOS. Its, at best, a bad copy/paste of someones mediocre concept design

There have been things like this in the past that have actually proved true. It could be a screenshot being viewed on another device, taken in the dark with an old iPod touch. Besides, 9to5mac said on Twitter that the design has come along way since then, and they've have has reliable info at times.
post #49 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by japm View Post

Really?

You had to make this detailed INFO GRAPHIC just to explain that it's not glossy anymore?

C'mon... lol.gif

LOL
post #50 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fradette View Post

It would be nice if the Weather app displayed dynamic content like the current temperature, like Calendar shows the current date.

That's on my wish list for all default and third party Weather, Clock and Calendar apps.
post #51 of 107

It's quite sad that, even after months of this nonsense, Apple Insider thinks that "Skeuomorphism" is the "faux stitched leather" in the calender app.

That's just a texture and part of the visual design, it has enhances skeuomorphism, but it has nothing to do with it.

Microsoft's metro UI is skeuomorphic as well.  

Skeuomorphism is how it works-- working like real world objects.

Alas, people who know nothing about design think that design is how it LOOKS not how it WORKS. 

post #52 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It could be possible that this is an earlier build.  Things change even during the beta process.  

https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/341370303022256128
post #53 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Someone in an Apple lab with an old candy bar phone down their trousers?

"That's no candy bar..." 

Eeeek!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #54 of 107
Quote:

"That's no candy bar..." 

Eeeek!

Chocolate bar down the rear as a backup.
post #55 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

It's quite sad that, even after months of this nonsense, Apple Insider thinks that "Skeuomorphism" is the "faux stitched leather" in the calender app.

That's just a texture and part of the visual design, it has enhances skeuomorphism, but it has nothing to do with it.

Microsoft's metro UI is skeuomorphic as well.  

Skeuomorphism is how it works-- working like real world objects.

Alas, people who know nothing about design think that design is how it LOOKS not how it WORKS. 

Whatever. Replace the settings icon with a picture of a dick and see if you're still so right. And no, the pattern in my recent comment has not been intentional.
post #56 of 107
Dies anyone really care if the Apps are simple or high gloss?? It's more important , for me at least to see more functionality and new features.
post #57 of 107

The Music icon shows a gradient but the messages icon and phone icon show flat green with no gradient. Personally I like a subtle gradient and agree with TS on having a more pronounced shadow. Also taking this with a grain of salt since the graphic is someone's interpretation of a very badly taken blurry photo of a phone's screen that could also be completely bogus.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #58 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Dies anyone really care if the Apps are simple or high gloss?? It's more important , for me at least to see more functionality and new features.

I care, because it's something that will have an impact in every corner of the OS, and in the design language and thinking behind all of the apps in general. I'm thinking the Notes app in particular. I've white that to be plain white for as long as I can remember. But yes, we'll certainly need many new features, and more importantly, a cleaning up and tightening up of existing concepts and ideas. And a much more invasive and robust iCloud.
post #59 of 107
Originally Posted by XTR Nutrition View Post
Rounded corners suck REALLY bad.

Thanks for ignoring all UI design since 1983.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #60 of 107

Quote:

You have to keep in mind this is likely phony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

WOW, people really think this is a real photo... the bloody icons don't even line up correctly.  Unless it has a curving screen on it.  Bottom icons line up pretty good, and along the right, but look at the left side... the icons are getting cut off.  So, printout on paper overlayed on a iPhone screen.  The top bar is clear, but the icons/screen is blurry?  And look at bottom, no bar under the base icons.

Just hold your kittens for another week, and Apple will actually make a formal announcement on what is going on.  You waited this long, another week won't kill ya.

So glad it only took to posts 45 and 47 to get this point out there... First thing I noticed...

post #61 of 107
Notice it looks NOTHING like Metro/Windows 8/Windows Phone 2007.

LOL @ claims that Apple is actually following the laughingstock of the industry's design snafus.

Apple is following Ive's tastes, now that he has the chance to implement them.

Although we have yet to see iOS 7, it'll look distinctly Apple.
post #62 of 107

Ummm... how about a weather icon that actually shows the current weather?

post #63 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Instead of waiting around for years for Apple to maybe update their weather app or maybe not, why not just use a third party app, of which there are many to choose from, and some of those do show the current weather on the icon itself, if having that feature is important to you.

post #64 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

So glad it only took to posts 45 and 47 to get this point out there... First thing I noticed...

I don't think this phone has the OS. This phone is displaying a photo taken of the alleged OS. Then somebody else took another photo of this phone which is displaying the photo.

post #65 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm with you on that one... Lock screen time and temperature would be nice.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #66 of 107

Flat apps, looks like android. No dimensions. How innovative!!! I wont upgrade, and i bet it will take more than double time of ios6 for the same level. Why? If I want a boring experience without any difference from any other phone, I will chose a H3 or a One. 

post #67 of 107
Originally Posted by FXGPV
Flat apps, looks like android. No dimensions. How innovative!!! I wont upgrade, and i bet it will take more than double time of ios6 for the same level. Why? If I want a boring experience without any difference from any other phone, I will chose a H3 or a One. 

Effing try harder, people. This is just pathetic.

post #68 of 107
Saw this on a Barron's blog:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2013/06/03/aapl-wwdc-catalyst-says-evercore-bend-twist-coming-says-global/?mod=yahoobarrons

In a somewhat more mysterious vein, Global Equities Research‘s Trip Chowdhry and colleagues today reiterate an Overweight rating and a $650 price target on Apple stock, writing that they have been attending about 9 to 12 tech conferences per month this year, and speaking to “400 to 500 people a month,” and that based on those conversations, they arrive at the common view that “iOS7 has a very simple, clean and uncluttered UI (User Interface), which may take little time to be appreciated.”

The authors add that “iOS7 is completed new UI, which is far superior to anything that is available out there.”

“Apple will aggressively go with Patent Infringement for each and every competitor that may have even tried to copy a small feature from iOS7.”

They also add that the new UI may support new touch gestures called “bend” and “squeeze.” I inquired with Chowdhry as to what that means, but he has no additional information.

The group observes that “None of the Apple currently shipping products support these gestures, which indicates a very high likelihood of a completely new Device that supports both Bend and Squeeze gestures.”
post #69 of 107

I don't see what was so wrong about the game app. It was nice to get felt on the table.

post #70 of 107
This is an earlier build, and that leaked image might not even reflect the basic visual concepts of the OS. Pointless to conjure up feelings on what is obviously not going to be the new design. What do people have against gloss? What does it have to do with the fundamental design of software? It's just an accent isn't it? What am I missing? I don't have strong feelings one way or the other in the skeu vs flat debate, but I do feel like Windows 8 is both aesthetically pleasing but uncoordinated. I hoped Apple didn't go in that extreme direction, but I never believed they would anyway. Whatever it ends up looking like, it'll be the same ol cute iOS.
post #71 of 107
Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post
This is an earlier build…

An earlier build of what?! We don't even know if it's real!

What do people have against gloss?

It's on the physical product; we don't need a second layer in the UI itself.

post #72 of 107
Did this "photograph" originate from the Chicago Sun-Times? 1smoking.gif
post #73 of 107
Everyone wanted the weather icon to reflect the actual temperature, not drop the number altogether.
post #74 of 107
Changing the Apple icons will hardly make a difference because, on my phone for example, has over 150 apps installed and the almost all of them don't have gloss overlay anyway. Getting rid of skeuomorphism also doesn't bother me, but I just think that iOS 7 at least needs to do what Lion did for Mac OS, otherwise Apple will keep falling behind its competitors.
post #75 of 107
Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post
…keep…

1/10; try harder.

post #76 of 107
Any developer can remove the gloss from their App Icon, its configurable by the dev. We did it with our apps starting two years ago. The gloss had its day, its over.

A small but distinct improvement imho.
post #77 of 107
My eyesight must be horrible because there is no way for me to tell there is no gloss on those icons or that these aren't just some Photoshopped result displayed on a device that was purposefully made to look worse with a photo to fool people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1/10; try harder.

Remember when Mac HW and iPhones outsold Windows and Android OSes, respectively?¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #78 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Instead of waiting around for years for Apple to maybe update their weather app or maybe not, why not just use a third party app, of which there are many to choose from, and some of those do show the current weather on the icon itself, if having that feature is important to you.

You're blaming him for wanting Apple to provide that feature? He should instead download a third part weather app with a dodgy app badge workaround solution?
post #79 of 107
Quote:

I'm with you on that one... Lock screen time and temperature would be nice.

That'd be quite elegant.
post #80 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Saw this on a Barron's blog:

That was your first mistake.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iOS 7 screens may show flat effects of Jony Ive's influence