or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer personally visits Hollywood to sell studios on Xbox One

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer personally visits Hollywood to sell studios on Xbox One

post #1 of 27
In an effort to sell television studios on his company's forthcoming Xbox One game console and media center, Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer personally paid a visit to Hollywood last week.

Xbox One

Details of Ballmer's trek to California were revealed by Deadline on Tuesday, which reported that Ballmer was accompanied by Microsoft Entertainment Studios President Nancy Tellem. The pair reportedly met with executives at the network CBS, talent agency William Morris Endeavor, and "other bigwigs in the TV business."

Ballmer is said to have pitched executives on the functionality and potential of the Xbox One as it relates to "sports, music, reality and scripted programming." But the CEO also reassured content providers that Microsoft isn't interested in becoming a "cable channel."

Ballmer is not known for any sort of preexisting relationship with Hollywood, standing in stark contrast to late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who owned Oscar-winning animation studio Pixar before selling it to Disney. Jobs even attended the Academy Awards in 2010, where "Up" won the Oscars for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score.

Jobs was also a member of the Walt Disney Co. Board of Directors, and the relationship between him and the company led to a number of content deals over the years for Apple's iTunes and the App Store. Specifically, before he was Disney's current CEO, Bob Iger worked closely with Jobs to bring Disney's movie and TV content to iTunes at a time when other major studios hesitated to ink a deal with Apple. Iger is now a member of Apple's board.

Apple's current regime may also have to take their own trips to Hollywood to woo content providers, if longstanding rumors of a full-fledged television set or expanded set-top box are true. Speculation has suggested that the difficulties in securing deals with content providers have been one roadblock against Apple making a larger push into the living room.

Xbox One

Microsoft, meanwhile, hopes to make an even bigger splash this fall with the debut of its new Xbox One gaming console, the successor to its successful Xbox 360. The Xbox One was unveiled at a media-centric event last month, where the Redmond, Wash., company billed the system as a voice- and motion-controlled all-in-one entertainment hub.

Arguably the key feature in Microsoft's new console is an HDMI input, which will allow the Xbox One to integrate with and even control existing cable boxes and other home entertainment systems. By allowing high-definition video to simply pass through the console, Microsoft will be able to provide users with its own entertainment experience without the need to obtain the necessary licenses from content providers and cable companies.
post #2 of 27
I hope the Xbox One does well. Lot's of good ideas- hopefully the execution and dependability follow suit (unless we are going on track record).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #3 of 27

The XBox One is a fake next-gen fraud just like the PS4. Crap outdated AMD APU pc hardware. Slow as hell.

Watch "The Last Of Us" gameplay videos on youtube for the PS3 .. that is being released soon.. the Cell is far from outdated, the graphics and 3D Engine of that game is far more advanced and better looking than anything seen for XBox One and PS4.

post #4 of 27
if you have FIOS you can stream live TV through your x-box. no need for a cable box from verizon. same with u-verse. i bet time warner and comcast get on board as well this year
post #5 of 27
I was excited for my Atari 2600, Colecovision, SNES, DreamCast, GameCube, XBox, Playstation 2, XBox 360 and Wii. Unless Sony pulls magic out if it's as*, this is the first generation of consoles I have no desire to own, including XBox One and Wii U.

Look at that console, it's a monstrosity with not an ounce of ingenuity compared to their previous console designs. It's a box with their name on it. Who designed it? Fry's Electronics?
post #6 of 27

Developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers,developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers,developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers,developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers... 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers,developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers,developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers,developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers... 

dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat

post #8 of 27

Well Xbox One is screwed, Ballmer has not improved his marketing skills, since 80s and I have no confidence he will win over studio execs. Previously launches, he has been involved failed badly to MS expectations, e.g. Zune, Microsoft Surface. Whats gets me is large Advertising budget used and they had so many failures compared to Apple's sucessful products.

Ballmer is bean counter, not savvy marketeer like Steve Jobs, even Tim Cook could do a better job.

http://youtu.be/EzaQu36YecI

at 0:24s, you get my reasons for Ballmer lack of senses ..lol

Edited by souliisoul - 6/4/13 at 1:09pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Phong View Post

The XBox One is a fake next-gen fraud just like the PS4. Crap outdated AMD APU pc hardware. Slow as hell.

Watch "The Last Of Us" gameplay videos on youtube for the PS3 .. that is being released soon.. the Cell is far from outdated, the graphics and 3D Engine of that game is far more advanced and better looking than anything seen for XBox One and PS4.

Nothing has been seen on either for games yet. Just a few marketing announcements. So… that's BS.

post #10 of 27

XBox, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, sports, sports, sports, sports, call of duty, call of duty, dog, call of duty, tv, tv, Xbox go home.

http://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqcw

Enuff said..

post #11 of 27

He's going to Ballmer this job too.

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Well Xbox One is screwed, Ballmer has not improved his marketing skills, since 80s and I have no confidence he will win over studio execs. Previously launches, he has been involved failed badly to MS expectations, e.g. Zune, Microsoft Surface. Whats gets me is large Advertising budget used and they had so many failures compared to Apple's sucessful products.

Ballmer is bean counter, not savvy marketeer like Steve Jobs, even Tim Cook could do a better job.

http://youtu.be/EzaQu36YecI

at 0:24s, you get my reasons for Ballmer lack of senses ..lol

A bean counter? I thought he was a used car salesman.

post #13 of 27
The time is ripe to open the Apple TV up to programmers and pack in the latest A# chip and graphics

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat, dripping sweat

I kinda assumed Ballmer would use deodorant on those sweaty armpits of his before walking into some Hollywood studio bigwig's office. (Shudders)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Nothing has been seen on either for games yet. Just a few marketing announcements. So… that's BS.

You are wrong. They have already released some demo, intro, teaser and so on for both consoles. And the quality is just barely average. The Last Of Us game for PS3 is way better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUlBLxHuPk

Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain GDC 2013 Trailer【HD】

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42YQ3-CiO3A

Deep Down PS4 Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LNDleuDIyE

Watch_Dogs - PS4 Gameplay Premiere Commented [NL]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Ndq4xqxNM

Call of Duty: Ghosts "XBOX ONE" Gameplay Trailer

post #16 of 27

I can just see it - Balmer in his old Chevy cruisin' down to Holywood, a couple of xboxes thrown in the back. Sweaty pits, radio blaring, blazer neatly folded on the passenger seat. Aaahhhh.... the good old days.

post #17 of 27
Quote:

You are wrong. They have already released some demo, intro, teaser and so on for both consoles. And the quality is just barely average. The Last Of Us game for PS3 is way better.

Deep Down PS4 Trailer

And there are plenty of PS3 games that are far worse looking than all of those games do. There are also a number of high-profile PS3 games that looked worse than their Xbox 360 counterparts (GTA IV, Devil May Cry 4, etc). The PS3 GPU was outdated 7 years ago and the amount of memory the PS3 has for both the system and the GPU is a joke compared to either of the next-gen systems.  The Cell was an overly expensive, overhyped CPU that in most cases was far more of a pain to develop for than any performance gain you might have gotten. Comparing the quality of beta-level quality of games written for a brand new system compared to something written for a mature system is a joke.

Oh and I watched the gameplay trailers for The Last of Us. I saw nothing that impressive.  And games like Call of Duty have never had impressive graphics anyway. They are pretty average FPS graphics.

post #18 of 27
Quote:

Deep Down PS4 Trailer

Keep
In mind that this is a new system and it takes developers! developers! developers! awhile to get into the swing of things and really open up the processing power of each console.

Ps3 was superior in raw power against the 360 but it was harder to develop
For which is why Xbox has held it's own.

Last of us does look pretty sweet but this is from a great company that had had lots of experience and time with this generation ps3.

Time will tell.

Also Xbox one claims to have the potential to have some sort of "cloud" processing to keep up with the future console needs.

Who knows.

One things for certain that Microsoft is trying to beat apple to the punch by having a singular hub for the home.
post #19 of 27
edit: Pipped by StephanJobs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant Deodorant

post #21 of 27
XBox One will probably not sell well -- at least not to anyone currently using XBox live. It doesn't work so well -- you expect things to be great when it's so network bound? My guess; This will go over like Metro on Windows 8 -- but we shall see. I'd actually like to see some success here -- but there's no way I want to give away total control of games to them. I'm really sick of the cloud -- and it's just starting. The NEW upgrade of the future -- like when people got rid of their netbooks -- will be "network independence." Hear me now and believe me later little girly man.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

XBox One will probably not sell well -- at least not to anyone currently using XBox live. It doesn't work so well -- you expect things to be great when it's so network bound? My guess; This will go over like Metro on Windows 8 -- but we shall see. I'd actually like to see some success here -- but there's no way I want to give away total control of games to them. I'm really sick of the cloud -- and it's just starting. The NEW upgrade of the future -- like when people got rid of their netbooks -- will be "network independence." Hear me now and believe me later little girly man.

I really hope many more people are thinking like you! I work for the disk company that makes the Xbox games disk and packages them and I would like to have a job for a little bit longer there. Oh btw guys at work have already played the new call of duty at work on our xboxs. It's pretty cool. We're making them right now.
post #23 of 27

Pity all those consoles are ugly and of dirt cheap build quality.

Completely unusable as entertainment system or to pull up some game socially since merely turning the machine on makes you believe to sit at some helipad.

What we need is a new Apple TV with App Store integration and open to developers. :)

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

edit: Pipped by StephanJobs.

Lol

I'm just saying....

At any rate, it should be an interesting end to the year.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Look at that console, it's a monstrosity with not an ounce of ingenuity compared to their previous console designs. It's a box with their name on it. Who designed it? Fry's Electronics?

It was probably designed by somebody who tried fitting an oddly-shaped vertical device into a stack of home entertainment equipment. I very much prefer the design of the new unit over previous styles. It's more elegant and less "boy racer" and can also be STACKED with other devices in a home entertainment system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

XBox, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, sports, sports, sports, sports, call of duty, call of duty, dog, call of duty, tv, tv, Xbox go home.

http://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqcw

Enuff said..

Um, not quite "enuff" for this particular slowpoke. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Help me out.

post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Um, not quite "enuff" for this particular slowpoke. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Help me out.

I think that he was commenting on the fact that the Xbox One reveal event focused more on the entertainment aspects and capabilities of the device than on games.  Which, actually makes sense with E3 starting on Wednesday, and Microsoft's E3 press conference on Monday, June 10.

post #27 of 27
Quote:

And the quality is just barely average. The Last Of Us game for PS3 is way better.

That doesn't mean the PS3 is a better console. If Naughty Dog had targeted The Last of Us for the PS4, it would look better and have been easier to develop for - the raw computational power of the PS4 is 10x the PS3. There's a technical breakdown of The Last of Us here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-the-last-of-us

It runs at 720p 30fps with custom anti-aliasing. Baked indirect lighting vs dynamic. They mention that official gameplay videos are rendered at higher quality than normal for promotional purposes. When you check out 3rd party gameplay, you can spot a few visual downgrades that wouldn't be there in next-gen consoles:

For example, objects and characters can be tessellated to have smooth edges, the indirect lighting would be dynamic so the torch light would bounce around and illuminate more than the small circle, memory is higher at 8GB vs 512MB so more detailed textures and geometry, the foliage and things are still flat textures, which can be made more detailed.

It does highlight the plateau effect of graphics technology though, which is that adding more processing doesn't necessarily add to the experience. There's a comparison by Guerilla of the PS3 and PS4 versions of Killzone:

http://www.guerrilla-games.com/presentations/Valient_Killzone_Shadow_Fall_Demo_Postmortem.pdf

Some of the screenshots they explain the visual differences but you do have to look pretty hard sometimes to see any difference at all e.g secondary reflections and things. They do note at the end that it's really easy to develop for. I think this is where the iOS devices will start to pick up in terms of AAA games. Just recently, there was an announcement that the next Deus Ex game would come to iOS first:

The video got 11,000 downvotes and 860 upvotes. People are going to resist the increasing move into post-pc platforms but as long as the developers do it right, it should be ok. Some controller support would help alleviate the tension but I think the visual boost the next-gen iOS devices get will help too. The way it's going is that platforms are just becoming easier to target, which allows developers to focus on the games and stories than the technical hurdles. It gives them a wider audience as they have a shared architecture across consoles so they can monetize the games better.

I'd say these next-gen consoles are the final stage in the move towards hardware irrelevance. It won't matter if they go up another 10x, the gamers won't notice the difference because the developers likely won't be able to use the extra power for anything meaningful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengod52404 
I think that he was commenting on the fact that the Xbox One reveal event focused more on the entertainment aspects and capabilities of the device than on games.

Yeah, they've set themselves up for a lot of flak from the gaming community:

Designing it like a VCR was their first mistake. There was a mockup somewhere of an old VHS tape with a Call of Duty Dogs label on it and that summed up the gaming side quite well. Their focus seems to be on money-making franchises rather than what made those franchises so popular, which was innovative gaming. The first Modern Warfare was popular because it shook up the WW1&2 game formats and brought them up to date for a modern audience. The trend now is to make largely the same game with new maps and almost no focus on making a new experience and is where Nintendo is failing now too i.e this franchise popular, let's do it again and again and again. It's understandable as it's risky making new franchises that people might not like but it's the only way to keep gaming interesting.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer personally visits Hollywood to sell studios on Xbox One