or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.8.4 with Wi-Fi & Exchange improvements

Apple releases OS X 10.8.4 with Wi-Fi & Exchange improvements

post #1 of 54
Apple on Tuesday released OS X 10.8.4, its latest security and maintenance update for the Mountain Lion operating system for Mac, improving Wi-Fi connectivity and Microsoft Exchange compatibility, and also fixing an issue that prevented making FaceTime calls to non-U.S. numbers.

The OS X 10.8.4 update is now available for Mountain Lion users through the Mac App Store. A system restart is required once the update has been installed, and it is recommended by Apple for all users.

The full list of changes in OS X 10.8.4, according to Apple, are:
  • Compatibility improvements when connecting to certain enterprise Wi-Fi networks
  • Microsoft exchange compatibility improvements in Calendar
  • A fix for an issue that prevented FaceTime calls to non-U.S. phone numbers
  • A fix for an issue that may prevent scheduled sleep after using Boot Camp
  • Improved VoiceOver compatibility with text in PDF documents
  • Includes Safari 6.0.5

AppleInsider was first to report last week that the release of OS X 10.8.4 was imminent, as Apple closed the seed project for developer testing. In a note to developers last week, Apple thanked participants for testing, and noted that materials related to the seeding project would be shut down.

Prior to Tuesday's release, there were a total of eight betas of OS X 10.8.4 released, in which developers were asked to focus their testing on Wi-Fi, Graphics Drivers and Safari. Earlier builds of the software signaled that Apple is also testing high-speed 802.11ac Wi-Fi in OS X, suggesting the hardware capabilities are likely to appear in future Macs.
post #2 of 54
Yay!
post #3 of 54
Cool!

I'll upgrade in a few days time though....
post #4 of 54

Build number?

post #5 of 54

Build 12E55. Downloaded and installed no problem. 15:15 CDT.

post #6 of 54

Pretty Kitty.

post #7 of 54
Anything noticeable on Safari?
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

Build 12E55. Downloaded and installed no problem. 15:15 CDT.

So nothing changed since the last beta.  How disappointing.  Still a few graphical issues.  

post #9 of 54
Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

It's snappier.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #10 of 54
Quote:

Hopefully it'll be snappier...

post #11 of 54
Ok, on it when got message on phone, don't you love how that works
post #12 of 54
I can hardly wait!

OS X Build 12E55
post #13 of 54
Wonder if part of the wifi fix is getting your Mac to automatically join when waking. Having to click the wifi icon and join every time is annoying.
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's snappier.

Damn it.

You beat me!
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #15 of 54
Security Update 2013-002 for Snow Leopard has also dropped at the same time.
post #16 of 54
Originally Posted by IanRid View Post
Security Update 2013-002 for Snow Leopard has also dropped at the same time.

Important to note for those that… well, I guess the very very very first-gen Intel stuff.

So I guess next week WWDC will drop both the first build of 10.8.5 and a pre-pre-pre-build of 10.9.

post #17 of 54
I don't understand this. Developers are told to focus their testing on graphics, and none of the changes are related to graphics. There're quite a few things to improve on Mac graphics, so it's disappointing there're no news on this after it was a test focus...
post #18 of 54
Originally Posted by ecs View Post
I don't understand this. Developers are told to focus their testing on graphics, and none of the changes are related to graphics. There're quite a few things to improve on Mac graphics, so it's disappointing there're no news on this after it was a test focus...

This really bugs me, more than having no "outstanding" features. At the very freaking least, they could support OpenGL 4! Does OS X even do 3 yet?

post #19 of 54
I don't understand why Apple charges for having beta's tested to Apple Developers 99 a year.

They're practically risking their computers on the line for Apple... it makes no sense to me... It would be better if they offered the beta's for people who wanted to test them like every other large developer releases their software. Microsoft even has their OS's Release Candidates tested for free with a stamp and they end the testing period when they think the product is ready to launch. Why can't apple do that as well.

And another thing that makes me mad... why doesn't Mac OS X have a Live Demo to the OS at disc start up or after installation of an updated or beta to see if you want to keep the changes or install the OS updates.. like Linux OS's do with their releases? Puppy Linux and Ubuntu have been doing this for years and no one seems to pick at Apple's OS for being so "revolutionary."

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #20 of 54
Does this finally sort out the god awful freezing issue that's plaguing everyone after 10.8.3!?
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairForceOne View Post

Does this finally sort out the god awful freezing issue that's plaguing everyone after 10.8.3!?

Everyone, eh?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Wonder if part of the wifi fix is getting your Mac to automatically join when waking. Having to click the wifi icon and join every time is annoying.

Weird - I never had that prob (pre or post-upgrade)... and I plowed through at least a couple dozen airport/hotel/conference/office wifi SSIDs over the past couple of weeks (due to travel).

post #23 of 54
Originally Posted by HairForceOne View Post

What freezing issue that I have never experienced on any version of Mountain Lion?

post #24 of 54

The freezing issue which happens when you use Safari on certain Macs. Doesn't happen on all models but every time I launch Safari I can guarantee a hard crash (UI frozen apart from mouse cursor). Sound keeps playing but you can't do anything with the Mac. I now use Firefox all the time and don't get the crashes.

The truth is behind you
The truth is behind you
post #25 of 54
Originally Posted by Jingo View Post
The freezing issue which happens when you use Safari on certain Macs. Doesn't happen on all models but every time I launch Safari I can guarantee a hard crash (UI frozen apart from mouse cursor). Sound keeps playing but you can't do anything with the Mac. I now use Firefox all the time and don't get the crashes.

And you're sure it has anything to do with OS X, Safari, or a specific Mac? Sounds exactly like what happens when Flash is being a… well, Flash. 

post #26 of 54

Check out the Apple discussions board for the many other people who have ecxperienced the same issue. It's not just me, and no, I really don't think it is just this Mac. The Mac works absolutely fine when Safari isn't running for weeks at a time with fifteen or so apps running, but if you launch Safari then it will inevitably crash some time within the next couple of hours or so.

There is nothing to see in the Console and I have spent ages cleaning up my extensions, plugins, kexts, drivers etc to make sure they are all clean. Still makes no difference.

And Flash - well, yes, Flash can be rubbish, but it doesn't crash in conjunction with Firefox if it is the cause, so I still point the finger at Safari.

My guess is that it may be a graphics driver problem which is why it appears to affect some Macs and not others, but this is just supposition.

The truth is behind you
The truth is behind you
post #27 of 54

10.8.4 upgrades the Reminders app from 1.0 to1.1. There is no reference I can find to the change nor can I find a change in app.

post #28 of 54
I know it's soon to ask but is this update necessary to update to 10.9 ??
post #29 of 54

Haven't noticed a difference....yet...

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #30 of 54

TS wrote:

>This really bugs me, more than having no "outstanding" features. At the very freaking least, they could support OpenGL 4! Does OS X even do 3 yet?

from a Software Lifecycle point of view, major new features should not be introduced mid-cycle.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #31 of 54

I guess we have to wait and see if they have fixed Mail issue where Exchange inbox shows no emails. I have to restart Mail for them to show up.

post #32 of 54
EPS-attachement preview in mail is up and running again! Long overdue!
post #33 of 54
The graphics and many other changes are for the new Mac's next week. Not unusual for Apple.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #34 of 54
Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post
The graphics… …are for the new Mac's next week.

Ooh! You're probably right. Where's do I look for the file with the list of supported GPUs, again?

post #35 of 54
I want an iTunes update. Something is causing crashes that I've never experienced before. All I have to do is use the Remote app on my iPhone, and boom. iTunes crashes. It's a new problem for me since the latest iTunes update, and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I want an iTunes update. Something is causing crashes that I've never experienced before. All I have to do is use the Remote app on my iPhone, and boom. iTunes crashes. It's a new problem for me since the latest iTunes update, and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Did you try:

• Recreating the error with a new Test user on that same machine?
  • Reinstalling iTunes?
  • Deleting your iTunes preferences in ~/Library/Preferences?
  • Checking your disk for errors?
    or
  • Setting up the remote app via Home Sharing instead of as a regular remote?

post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Check out the Apple discussions board for the many other people who have ecxperienced the same issue. It's not just me, and no, I really don't think it is just this Mac. The Mac works absolutely fine when Safari isn't running for weeks at a time with fifteen or so apps running, but if you launch Safari then it will inevitably crash some time within the next couple of hours or so.

There is nothing to see in the Console and I have spent ages cleaning up my extensions, plugins, kexts, drivers etc to make sure they are all clean. Still makes no difference.

And Flash - well, yes, Flash can be rubbish, but it doesn't crash in conjunction with Firefox if it is the cause, so I still point the finger at Safari.

My guess is that it may be a graphics driver problem which is why it appears to affect some Macs and not others, but this is just supposition.

I have a late-2008 MBP.   When I first installed Mountain Lion, I also had weird lockups which were driving me nuts.    Apple couldn't figure out why, although there was a certain error report that wouldn't generate properly.    I was really pissed and felt that Apple had finally lost it.   I only had a problem with an OS install once before that.  I forget which major version it was, but it was several major versions ago and Apple apps wouldn't work.   Apple support claimed it might be my memory chips, but I thought that was ridiculous since the previous OS worked fine.  To make a long story short, it turned out to be a bad font problem.   Even though those very same fonts worked with the previous OS, they wouldn't work with the new OS.   I got rid of all the fonts except the system fonts and then reinstalled one font at at time, mainly only installing TrueType fonts.   Never had a problem again until the lockups.   

But one day, I stopped having the lockup problem for reasons unknown and it's never returned.    It didn't seem to be coincident with any OS update.   And I do mainly use Safari.   Still don't know if it was Apple's fault and a third-party app.  I think I read something recently where someone on an Apple forum fixed the problem by replacing a ribbon cable.   

post #38 of 54

Any fix yet for slow wakeups (especially bluetooth) from sleep mode?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #39 of 54
Quote:

It still crashes here.

post #40 of 54

I hope this resolves the WiFi problems I'm having on my 15" rMBP. Several times a day when I'm working, I'lll loose all internet activity to my router even though the WiFi "fan" icon is still solid black. I then have to disable my WiFi, then reenable it and it works again (until it dies a few hours later).

I seriously doubt it's my router because all of my other devices don't have any problems -- my iPhone 5 stays connected all the time and my Roku is streaming CNN pretty much all day long via WiFi and never coughs up a lung.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.8.4 with Wi-Fi & Exchange improvements