or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's developer portal begins displaying square app icons days before iOS 7 unveiling

Apple's developer portal begins displaying square app icons days before iOS 7 unveiling - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm assuming "a whole new world" means a whole new OS?

Or maybe..a whole new world of developing apps for Apple TV? WWDC to me, just got a WHOLE bunch more exciting!
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Looks as though Tim is doing a good job of maintaining secrecy on this one. All there is is idle speculation and a fuzzy picture or two of some alpha version of iOS 7.

We'll know after we see what's unveiled. But I think it's true: Apple is much better at maintaining secrecy on-campus. But the suppliers, they leak like sieves.

post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

I was referring to the BB Storm and Z10... which don't have keyboards. And don't be silly. Nobody buys those ancient things anymore.

I also have reason to believe that they were upset even if they had updated to iOS 6... there were even memes.

[image]

1) Nobody? What the hell is it with everybody using silly absolutely in this thread?

2) You do realize that's an icon for the Maps app, right, not a map for people to use, right? Where was the outcry when Google Maps was the engine and the icon showed I-280 going over De Anza Blvd? 1hmm.gif
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/4/13 at 3:48pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #44 of 76
Who's on WWDC Moscone Center Banner Photos Detail?
post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Who's on WWDC Moscone Center Banner Photos Detail?

DED, duh.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #46 of 76

There have been many changes to iTunes Connect portal over the last few months. I don't believe this change (square corners) is an indication of what to come. The round corners are an iOS signature. Just look at the Home button on iOS devices. Maybe they will tweak the current corners radius.

Quote:

Btw the banners for WWDC show squares with rounded corners. Me thinks people are getting their panties in a twist over nothing.

I wish Apple allows developers to use icons with transparent background (like with Mac OS) and if you ask me these banners indicate they will.

post #47 of 76
Is this taste? Copy Windows and Android??
post #48 of 76
Quote:

None of us have seen what the final iOS 7 will look like. I think it's pretty unfair to throw around words like hideous and crap over something you haven't seen. 1rolleyes.gif And a grainy picture of a rumored very early version of iOS doesn't count. 1oyvey.gif

Yeah, I'm probably just getting so nervous that I'm overstating things a bit.  

What we've seen is pretty hideous and is "crap" IMO but it isn't likely to be the real deal anyway.  

My main "hate-it" is the colour-coded/differentiated apps and the idea of a different colour for each though, and that looks very likely to happen in some form or other.  It all depends on *what* colours and exactly what shades they pick but I find the whole concept kind of stupid as well as being unoriginal.  

post #49 of 76
Originally Posted by FXGPV View Post

Is this trolling? Shut up, fools.

post #50 of 76

Would be kinda fun to watch if Apple patents their 'square corners' innovation.

Then their competitors could still use corners, just as long as they weren't square or rounded.

post #51 of 76
Strange that most of you seem to miss the point of this simply being a pre-cursor to change in the app icons. Of course there won't be square icons, Apple is making a point here that the iOS 1-6 default app filter is changing in iOS7. It just won't be applied to the developer portal icons until after the WWDC reveal.
post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXGPV View Post

So what? What if they decide to just copy copy copy?

Google never did anything else... Microsoft is based on copying, just like samsung.

Why is Apple forced to innovate? Why can't they just copy the others? They have the money and influence... They can undercut their prices and put all OEMs out of business. Why not?

post #53 of 76
Obviously just a temporary bug.

Look at the WWDC logo and especially the recently-revealed matching venue decor: round corners galore.

I think Metro looks really neat with all the squares, but in a very different way that I'm sure has no place in iOS today.
post #54 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Google never did anything else... Microsoft is based on copying, just like samsung.

Why is Apple forced to innovate? Why can't they just copy the others? They have the money and influence... They can undercut their prices and put all OEMs out of business. Why not?

No one is forcing Apple to innovate, it's that we've become used to them being innovators that we expect to do it all the time.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #55 of 76
Square is ugly
post #56 of 76

Not happening.

Quoting from the biography of the Creator himself:

“Hertzfeld recalled that when Atkinson fired up his demo, everyone was impressed except Jobs. “Well, circles and ovals are good,” he said, “but how about drawing rectangles with rounded corners?”
“I don’t think we really need it,” said Atkinson, who explained that it would be almost impossible to do. “I wanted to keep the graphics routines lean and limit them to the primitives that truly needed to be done,” he recalled.
“Rectangles with rounded corners are everywhere!” Jobs said, jumping up and getting more intense. “Just look around this room!” He pointed out the whiteboard and the tabletop and other objects that were rectangular with rounded corners. “And look outside, there’s even more, practically everywhere you look!” He dragged Atkinson out for a walk, pointing out car windows and billboards and street signs. “Within three blocks, we found seventeen examples,” said Jobs. “I started pointing them out everywhere until he was completely convinced.”
“When he finally got to a No Parking sign, I said, ‘Okay, you’re right, I give up. We need to have a rounded-corner rectangle as a primitive!’” Hertzfeld recalled, “Bill returned to Texaco Towers the following afternoon, with a big smile on his face. His demo was now drawing rectangles with beautifully rounded corners blisteringly fast.” The dialogue boxes and windows on the Lisa and the Mac, and almost every other subsequent computer, ended up being rendered with rounded corners.”

Excerpt From: Isaacson, Walter. “Steve Jobs.” Simon & Schuster, 2011. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/steve-jobs/id431617578?mt=11

post #57 of 76
post #58 of 76

Doesn't Microsoft own the patent for square icons?

/s

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Yuck.

Yes..... It is Ugly......... Seriously hope this is not coming true......
post #60 of 76
Wow look at all the fools believing Apple will scrap rounded corners.

Discussion on the second half of the article, the less odd suggestion that ios7 will look like the WWDC app would be very welcome.

So, what do we have here. No shine on buttons or highlighted icons. That's a hint. Less overt shadows. Depressed selection style from osx; there could there be increased cross-pollination of styles and elements. Perhaps iphone apps will join iPad apps in having their top corners rounded with only the option of a black status bar. We're definitely losing some individuality amongst apple apps, and whilst ske... skeueo... skew... looking like shit it ain't is clearly seen as A Bad Move, it will be sad if all frivolity and idiosyncrasy are completely expunged.
post #61 of 76
Square edges, rounded edges, I'm good either way. I would like to be able to custom color code outside edges of apps & files & be able to put in more apps per file & put more files on a page
post #62 of 76
All the banners for WWDC feature huge, bright app icon shapes with the rounded corners still in place. It would seem like a strange choice (or big oversight) if they were getting rid of them.
post #63 of 76

As of now, iTC is showing rounded icons again, however without the glass effect.

I think this is simply a transition as most people expect and probably there'll be some new effect applied after WWDC.

post #64 of 76
Pretty sure the WWDC banners show the continued shape of iOS icons as others have said. Are these the new app icon colors?

post #65 of 76
Looks like a "sharp corner filter removed instead of the glossy one" bug
post #66 of 76

So many people are calling this a bug.  The article says that app icons have always been submitted as squares.  Seems to me that Apple is just displaying the icon that was uploaded instead of a modified version.  Maybe they will only show the original icon until they can officially preview the new style, or perhaps this is just another change.  If Apple is tweaking the filters applied to icons, maybe they decided this was a good time to stop applying those automatically and just show the original icon.  I mean, you'll still see the icon as it will appear in iOS7 in the emulator so showing it the developer center is redundant.

Seems to me too much is being made of this.  I'll be shocked if we end up having square icons.

post #67 of 76

Square iOS icons is as likely as Tim Cook dancing on stage to the song, "Hip To Be Square."

Both of those are more Microsoft style.

Many 3rd party app icons use their own rounded border, like metallic silver or gold. They would look very silly rendered as squares.

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #68 of 76
Wow, what amazing evolution on iOS interface!
post #69 of 76
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post
Are these the new app icon colors?

Know what? I think you hit it dead on. And who knows if that's a good thing, because it could mean the end of detail.

Take a look at each square. Start with the one to the right of the logo. Orange, eh? Just like Music. Then, to the right, Safari. 

post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

As of now, iTC is showing rounded icons again, however without the glass effect.

I think this is simply a transition as most people expect and probably there'll be some new effect applied after WWDC.

Yep.  I see the same thing for my apps.  Rounded but without the gloss.

FYI (for non developers), when you submit an app to the AppStore you can either opt to have Apple add the gloss or not to your icon.  If you look on your device, you'll see that the vast majority of developers/companies opt out of the Apple-supplied gloss and either do their own version or do without.  If Apple turns off this gloss option it will have minimal impact on user experience.  Presumably if Apple changes the style of their default apps some developers will follow suit and others will leave their icons as is.

But there is no way Apple is going to be seen as copying Windows 8 by dropping the rounded corners.

post #71 of 76
If this is actually what's coming I'm not so sure I'm going to like it - seems like a step backwards (GUI circa 1995!) even though I'm all for getting rid of the skeuomorphism, the rest - I don't know? Seems less elegant than Metro.
Edited by 1983 - 6/5/13 at 10:49am
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Easy. There is no cheap iPhone. If you pay extra cash, you usually want something better than a Samsung or anyother. 

Second, if you do not innovate, competition will eat your lunch. BBB?

Undercutting prices is no solution for anybody, because 99% of the times results in downgrading the quality of hardware and software, which results in cheaper sales and less dollars on Apple pocket. Please remember that 50% of 600 USD is much more than 90% of 300 USD, if they were able to have this margin.

In the end, if you have less money, you will not be able to invest in differentiation of your products. That will result in less connection to the market, lower sales, less profits, less investment... and goes on.

What bugs me is Apple is starting this deliberately with a strip down version of IOS in next version.

Also remember that many times does not matter own good it is the product, if is not clear and simple, people do not buy them. Palm??

For more than 80% of IPhone users the images that imitate life are easy to understand, relate to the purpose of the app and the relative easy of work that their clear indication allows.

This flat design is not good in this, otherwise why windows phones are on the shelfs and any other android also (except Samsung)???

Why do people with IOS interact more with their gadgets than any other OS??

I frankly believe that Apple is shooting itself on the foot.

This may disconnect normal users from the OS, losing market connection as if it is complicated why do not buy another complicated phone but for less money, so their goes sales, profits and start cutting on investment. This is the wrong way. 

Flat design for hardware, YES, for software, I do frankly believe is the wrong direction.

hope that I'm wrong and eat this words.

post #73 of 76
I came up with something completely different in my head

http://ermhmm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/ios-concepts-because-they-did-it.html
post #74 of 76
Apple's Advertising for the WWDC always compliments the announcements!

Look at the announcement!
https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

What do you see? Square ugly ass design? NO! YOU SEE ROUND EDGES!!!

I CALL BS!
post #75 of 76
Originally Posted by ermhmm View Post
I came up with something completely different in my head

Looks like Windows 8. 

post #76 of 76
Now Apple is copying Microsoft's Metro theme?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's developer portal begins displaying square app icons days before iOS 7 unveiling
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's developer portal begins displaying square app icons days before iOS 7 unveiling