or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple widens lead over Samsung in U.S. smartphone market

Apple widens lead over Samsung in U.S. smartphone market

post #1 of 54
Apple and Samsung both continue to increase their share of the United States' smartphone market, but according to new data, Apple is growing at a faster clip and extended its lead over rival Samsung as iPhone marketshare peaked at nearly 40 percent in the last three months.

iMacs

Industry monitor comScore released its MobiLens overview of the smartphone market on Tuesday, showing that Apple's iPhone accounted 39.2 percent of U.S. smartphone subscribers. The company retained its lead for the three months ending in April, with marketshare up 1.4 points from the end of January, when it held a 37.8 percent share of the market.

At the end of January, Samsung was the second-largest manufacturer in the U.S. market, though at 21.4 percent, it trailed Apple by 16.4 percentage points. In the most recent figures, Apple's lead has expanded to 17.2 percentage points, even as Samsung's overall share ticked upward by 0.6 points over the past three months.

No other smartphone manufacturer managed to crack double digit share. The remaining top five manufacturers ? HTC, Motorola, and LG ? all lost ground, with the troubled HTC dropping in share by nearly a full percentage point.

While Apple holds the top spot in the United States, its South Korean rival sells the most phones worldwide, moving more than 70 million smartphones in the first quarter of 2013. Together, the two companies account for all of the profit in the smartphone segment.

iMacs

Apple also saw gains in terms of operating system market share. Strong iPhone sales led to Apple's iOS being the only platform to boost its share for the three month period ending in April, rising 1.4 points to 39.2 percent of the U.S. market. BlackBerry, with its new BlackBerry 10 devices recently released, suffered the most in the United States from Apple's rise, dropping 0.8 points in the quarter. Google's Android dropped 0.3 points through April, while Microsoft's Windows Phone platform dropped 0.1 points.
post #2 of 54

This is simply not true.

Sincerely,

Samsung¡

Seriously, Samsung is spending millions and millions on advertising. Every satellite channel I surf is covered from head to toe with Samsung ads. The ads are everywhere... television, radio, print, web, you name it. You can't go five minutes without seeing a Samsung Galaxy S4 ad somewhere. I was getting real nervous about this blitzkrieg let loose by Samsung. Apparently my nervousness was misplaced.

post #3 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Seriously, Samsung is spending millions and millions on advertising. Every satellite channel I surf is covered from head to toe with Samsung ads. The ads are everywhere...

Not to mention the advertising Appleinsider gives them almost every day for free.

post #4 of 54
Quote:

This is simply not true.

Sincerely,

Samsung¡

Seriously, Samsung is spending millions and millions on advertising. Every satellite channel I surf is covered from head to toe with Samsung ads. The ads are everywhere... television, radio, print, web, you name it. You can't go five minutes without seeing a Samsung Galaxy S4 ad somewhere. I was getting real nervous about this blitzkrieg let loose by Samsung. Apparently my nervousness was misplaced.

Be not nervous. Advertising does not a good product make.

For all the complaints about a lack of features from Apple all I see on Android forums is questions about how to fix this or that issue with the products. Poor product quality combined with poor customer service doesn't really breed customer satisfaction and brand loyalty.
post #5 of 54
I'm surprised by these results since we're in the back half of the annual release cycle. Usually we see a little trail off where the anti-Apple crowd runs with their version of Apple is Doomed™.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 54
Just for consistency, I'll repeat the oft-spoken refrain: Market share doesn't really matter--profit share matters. Oh yeah, and Apple is winning there, too. 1wink.gif
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Be not nervous. Advertising does not a good product make.

Naw, go ahead and be nervous...

If this were about the better product, there would never have been a "contest" in the first place...

Ask Sony and their Betamax, among numerous examples, how this works in the real world.

post #8 of 54

Android is stagnating. Isn't that what the troll crowds used to say about the iPhone?!

post #9 of 54
Quote:

This is simply not true.

Sincerely,

Samsung¡

And it's working quite well. Take Apple out of the chart and it tells a different story. Samsung is beating the snot out of the other Android manufacturers. They're quite happy being #2 especially since #3 is so far behind and losing (that's how it's spelled people) ground.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #10 of 54

Everyone's boosting their ad budgets.

For example, in the US, Samsung went from being way behind Apple on ad spending all these years, to spending $401 million on phone ads in 2012.  (A lot was on the GS3 ads.)

Apple wasn't just sitting around, though.  They boosted their own 2012 spending to $333 million.

It's a great time to be either a patent lawyer or in advertising :)

post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

For example, in the US, Samsung went from being way behind Apple on ad spending all these years, to spending $401 million on phone ads in 2012.  (A lot was on the GS3 ads.)

Apple wasn't just sitting around, though.  They boosted their own 2012 spending to $333 million.

It's a great time to be either a patent lawyer or in advertising 1smile.gif

Are you comparing Samsung's smartphone advertising budget in the US to all of Apple's advertising budget in the world?

post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And it's working quite well. Take Apple out of the chart and it tells a different story. Samsung is beating the snot out of the other Android manufacturers. They're quite happy being #2 especially since #3 is so far behind and losing (that's how it's spelled people) ground.

But what does Google think about this?  That's what confuses me, is Samsung Google's champion, or problem?

post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

But what does Google think about this?  That's what confuses me, is Samsung Google's champion, or problem?

For now they're obviously the champion but they can quickly become a problem and a very big one. Google could be in a world of hurt if they don't gain some traction in the hardware business after buying Motorola Mobility.
post #14 of 54

Samsung + HTC + Motorola = 39.2% = Apple! Waiting for Apple share to get bigger than whole of Android.

post #15 of 54
Quote:

But generally speaking, partnering with the olympics, David Beckham and a monster incentive program is quite expensive for Samsung. In the case of Apple, there are very few dollars in those categories of marketing expenses... It’s all down on media placement (not all, but nearly all). Apple has very few ads, they don’t use celebrities, to my knowledge they don’t associate with major events, pro sports’ leagues or festivals and they certainly don’t have an incentive program (except maybe with BestBuy??).

post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you comparing Samsung's smartphone advertising budget in the US to all of Apple's advertising budget in the world?

Nope.  Worldwide, Apple spent $1 billion last year.  Apple's ad budget for the whole world hasn't been around $300 million in a long while:

I was quoting Electronista, who was quoting Kantar about just USA phone ad budgets.   BGR had a similar article:

"Samsung spent $402 million in 2012 marketing its smartphones in the United States, topping even Apple (AAPL) with its similarly enormous $333 million U.S. marketing budget for the iPhone."

post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juil View Post

But generally speaking, partnering with the olympics, David Beckham and a monster incentive program is quite expensive for Samsung. In the case of Apple, there are very few dollars in those categories of marketing expenses... It’s all down on media placement (not all, but nearly all). 

True, Samsung decided to boost their ad budget and it really seemed to help.

Quote:
Apple has very few ads, they don’t use celebrities, to my knowledge they don’t associate with major events, pro sports’ leagues or festivals and they certainly don’t have an incentive program (except maybe with BestBuy??).

Apple does use celebrities.  Remember the Siri ads?  (Scorsese, Deschanel, Jackson)   Besides those, some of their other ads were also not that great.  E.g. the short-lived "Genius" series.

Overall, Samsung got some good bang for their advertising bucks.  They had most of the top viral ads last year, especially the ones playing off people waiting in line.   Their biggest ad goof (IMO) was that Super Bowl thing with the comedians... although my opinion could be warped from not knowing those guys very well.

post #18 of 54

…viral…

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juil View Post

..... they don’t use celebrities.....

I guess you forgot about Samuel L. Jackson and his Gazpacho recipe, and Martin Scorsese.

Edit: KDarling beat me to it.
post #20 of 54
Quote:

I guess you forgot about Samuel L. Jackson and his Gazpacho recipe, and Martin Scorsese.

Edit: KDarling beat me to it.

They really should have vetted the dialogue better. They should known people would try to see if Siri worked the same for them as in the videos. Either you alter Siri so it's more tuned for those specific questions or you use sentences that can also be duplicated up by a reasonable user.

Barry is not a reasonable user due to his speech impediment:

post #21 of 54
Quote:

I do know that Advertising ⊆Promotions.  Promotions includes things beyond advertising like product placements.

post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

...viral...

Yep.  When analytics firm Visible Measures released its list of the ten most viral tech ads of 2012, Samsung's GS3 "The Next Big Thing" commercial ranked at the top of the list (71 million views)

Altogether, Samsung got four of the top ten, and Apple only got one ad (iPhone 5 intro - 18 million views) on the list.

All top ten can be seen here on the Visible Measures website.

Other major firms such as Ad Age also ranked Samsung's ads in the top ten viral for 2012.

Quote:
lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

To which I would reply...

post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They really should have vetted the dialogue better. They should known people would try to see if Siri worked the same for them as in the videos. Either you alter Siri so it's more tuned for those specific questions or you use sentences that can also be duplicated up by a reasonable user.

Barry is not a reasonable user due to his speech impediment:

Funny part was that Siri understood the Indian guys and I barely did, but I understood Barry. Guess Siri won't be able to tell Elmer J. Fudd if it's duck season or wabbit season.
Edited by dasanman69 - 6/4/13 at 7:45pm
post #24 of 54
Yep.

You don't understand. I reject the premise entirely. This is a company that pays for reviews, pays to shut up the news, and pays to own the government. There is no "viral". You cannot possibly say that.

And your video's blank, but I'm sure it's more abject nonsense.

post #25 of 54
Quote:

Funny part was that Siri understood the Indian guys and I barely did, but I understood Barry. Guess Siri won't be able to tell Elmer J. Fudd if it's duck season or wabbit season.

My guess is that Siri understands those with an Indian accent much better than those with rhotacism.

post #26 of 54
Quote:

You don't understand. I reject the premise entirely. This is a company that pays for reviews, pays to shut up the news, and pays to own the government. There is no "viral". You cannot possibly say that.

And your video's blank, but I'm sure it's more abject nonsense.

I was able to see a young John Lithgow say "laugh while you can monkey boy"
post #27 of 54
Quote:

Yeah it worked for me too....man...Lithgow was young!

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #28 of 54

Ah, see? Nonsense.

post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Yeah it worked for me too....man...Lithgow was young!

Yep worked for me, but you have to understand, he never been objective, when comes to Apple vs. ANYONE.

I agree Samsung even in India had the most viral mobile phone ads, which were talked about by masses, when the ads were on TV.

India loves over the top theatrics and Samsung ads usually played to their weakness.

post #30 of 54
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post
Yep worked for me, but you have to understand, he never been objective, when comes to Apple vs. ANYONE.

I'll ask you again to stop the libel before it's stopped on its own.

India loves over the top theatrics and Samsung ads usually played to their weakness.

By that measure, the Surface should be the best-selling tablet in India.

post #31 of 54
Quote:

I agree Samsung even in India had the most viral mobile phone ads, which were talked about by masses, when the ads were on TV.

Ahhhh...the video worked for everyone else but it was blank for some.....i guess it fits......

Everyone at my work talks about the Samsung spots....... I work in IT special projects. I love the Windows 8 ad at the wedding where the Samsung and Apple phone owners argue and fight...iphone owner says "Can you move your enormous phone!"

Samsung phone owner says "Aren't you a little young to have an iphone?" Love that spot...

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #32 of 54
Quote:

By that measure, the Surface should be the best-selling tablet in India.

lol.gif go ahead big boy make my day...

Indians do not like the surface because too expensive vs. performance obtained.

Actually Surface had a massive marketing push, but unfortunately its all been US ads.

Edit Price check and scroll to bottom of page and iPad 64Gb WiFi is similar price to MS Surface 32Gb....no amount of ads will make an Indian give away his money1wink.gif

Edited by souliisoul - 6/4/13 at 9:16pm
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Ahhhh...the video worked for everyone else but it was blank for some.....i guess it fits......

Everyone at my work talks about the Samsung spots....... I work in IT special projects. I love the Windows 8 ad at the wedding where the Samsung and Apple phone owners argue and fight...iphone owner says "Can you move your enormous phone!"

Samsung phone owner says "Aren't you a little young to have an iphone?" Love that spot...

That was funny and very good ad... I saw Tallest Skil at the end with Apple logo tattoo on his chest 1biggrin.gif

Edit removed video, so not to  piss people off when scrolling and reading comments

Edited by souliisoul - 6/4/13 at 9:21pm
post #34 of 54
Quote:

That was funny and very good ad... I saw Tallest Skil at the end with Apple logo tattoo on his chest 1biggrin.gif

Edit removed video, so not to  piss people off when scrolling and readu=ing comments

LOL....thats what I thought too!

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #35 of 54
Indians do not like the surface because too expensive vs. performance obtained.

Actually Surface had a massive marketing push, but unfortunately its all been US ads.

So the advertising didn't help, despite your previous assertion.

post #36 of 54
Quote:

The thing about libel is that it has to be:

1.  A false statement

2.  Damaging to the reputation of the subject of the statement

His statement was not false, and even if it was, it doesn't damage your reputation in the least.  You are the most damaging thing to your reputation.

post #37 of 54
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

1.  A false statement

His statement was not false, and even if it was, it doesn't damage your reputation in the least. 

It fulfills both criteria. Come off it.

post #38 of 54
Quote:

So the advertising didn't help, despite your previous assertion.

Read the comments again, maybe you understand why?

Samsung have priced their products at reasonable price and performance, maybe little sub par to Apple (in our eyes), this is of very little concern to Indian market, since ads help to sell the product.

MS Surface has massive under performance to Apple iPad, If  you compare price with specs.

post #39 of 54
Samsung have priced their products at reasonable price and performance…

And so a $399 iPhone would be…?

post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

1.  A false statement

His statement was not false, and even if it was, it doesn't damage your reputation in the least.  You are the most damaging thing to your reputation.

Yes but follow-up comment maybe libel, I am in India and he can sue me here. 1biggrin.gif

Btw: average personal ibel case takes 10 years to complete in India , so make my day!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple widens lead over Samsung in U.S. smartphone market