or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › ITC issues US import ban on older iPhones and iPads for infringement of Samsung patents [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ITC issues US import ban on older iPhones and iPads for infringement of Samsung patents [u] - Page 4

post #121 of 166

 "Apparatus and method for encoding/decoding transport format combination indicator in CDMA mobile communication system,"

 

Am I missing something? Since when is a GSM product the same as a CDMA product? If anything, this should only pertain to CDMA models (Verizon, Sprint etc.), but it's aimed clearly at GSM models (AT&T). 1confused.gif

 

Either I'm missing something, or the ITC and Samesung have some really retarded employees. 

post #122 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


In your world, I suppose that construction workers are totally invent buildings, and architects have nothing to do with it right?

And Apple does have patents on retina displays, and on the software that makes it work (and not just shrink everything down).

But whatever. I mean a shill's gotta eat.


No, I think what he means is that the real estate agent who sales the building and the owner of the building does not design it. They hire architect to design it and contractor to build it.

post #123 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKar426 View Post

It's too bad that in the case of houses, the architect did build something a 2-year-old couldn't design.

 

In the case of smartphones, a 2-year-old could come up with something like a rectangle with rounded corners. Hell, even LG had the prada. So no, I won't give Apple credit for that.


Well, Apple has a patent for it. Do not ask me why, I am not the patent lawyer.

post #124 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


Because the only way to engineer something is to physically manufacture it. D'ok.


You are not correct. I am in business of designing and engineering consumer products. On average, about 10-15% of new fully designed and engineered products will go into manufacturing stage.

post #125 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Samsung does not even own or control its own OS and software platform
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

It has no content ecosystem
http://www.samsungapps.com

edit: there were mentions of "software patents" down the thread, do I have to remind people that such "patents" are ridiculed/invalid all over the world excepting in the US and maybe Japan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent
Edited by Sensi - 6/5/13 at 6:10am
post #126 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post


You are not correct. I am in business of designing and engineering consumer products. On average, about 10-15% of new fully designed and engineered products will go into manufacturing stage.

You need a sarcasm detector.
post #127 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKar426 
.....

Wow.

People, please don't feed the trolls.

He's gone, at least for the moment.
post #128 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKar426 View Post

I'm sure that almost everyone who doesn't believe what I'm saying has never had a tech job or a business job that deals with the tech industry. The manufacturers play a crucial part in the design of the final product. That's essential and one of the reasons why Apple can't move to TSMC for its processors yet.

 

Most times, companies like AMD and NVIDIA do half of the designing while TSMC does the rest.

In the case of Apple and Samsung, Samsung does most of the designing and Apple takes all the credit. What a despicable corporation.

 

It's easy to get another supplier for LCD panels. LG might not have their LCD tech on par with Samsung, but the average user won't give a damn and the user experience won't change.

However, if you outsource processors to different manufacturers, you risk huge performance gaps.

 

 

In industry, companies can be integrators (this is the case of aeroplane or car manufacturers (Airbus, Boeing ...)) or components suppliers (they design, manufacture and sell  their components to the first category for integration into a final original product).

 

Samsung is both, which some people (like you, if I understand well) see as a competitive advantage.

 

Like others, I disagree, because when you develop internally your own technology, it not only cost you a lot of money, but it obliges you to be always the best in ALL technologies you use, which is known to be impossible (you always have unexpected breakthroughs coming from unknown outsiders).

 

Having said this, the "make or buy" decision may not be always the same , depending on the components (an integrator may decide to develop its own technology, just keep it for himself, if he sees it as a competitive advantage). Could be the case for batteries in the case of electric cars, for instance. And since Apple now can financially afford to enter the chips business, we may see moves in this direction. But the "make or buy" situation may not be stable over time.

 

I am an Apple fan, I do not like Samsung. But the strange thing is that these two companies have a lot in common (capacity for elaborating long term strategy, vertical integration, some form of secrecy, disregard for stock exchange opinion, and desire for worldwide domination for example).


Edited by umrk_lab - 6/5/13 at 7:07am
post #129 of 166
What a load of bull! F..k Samsung!!!
post #130 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post


I believe the "moderator" function is incompatible with expressing personal views. Difficult to be judge about exchanges you have been involved into personally.

I understand the opinion, but there's no reason to accept the task if you're no longer allowed to take part in discussions.
post #131 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


You need a sarcasm detector.


No, just reality check. If you do not know something --> do not pretend you do.

post #132 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I understand the opinion, but there's no reason to accept the task if you're no longer allowed to take part in discussions.

 

 

If the function is not financially rewarded, I suppose so, yes. On one of the French Apple sites I used to contribute, there was a sort of "private club" open to "distinguished" contributors only, including moderators (you can think in terms of number of posts, appreciations, etc ..).

post #133 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Wow...judging from the number of deletions on this thread, look like someone struck a nerve with a petulant moderator. I often get the feeling that AI moderators (and others here) completely misunderstand the definition of 'trolling', and instead, throw the phrase at individuals with conflicting viewpoints as some form of derogatory ad hominem attack.

One person signed up, made 40 posts, most filled with the standard invectives against Apple and their users, and we're supposed to put up with it, why?
post #134 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Nope, he was a troll

 

Trolling implies that he was making extraneous, off-topic comments to disrupt the conversation. I fail to see how comments about Apple's use of other companies' tech...in an article covering an ITC ruling declaring exactly that...qualifies as such. This certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone has brought to light Apple's incredibly low R&D compared to other tech companies their size.

post #135 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


One person signed up, made 40 posts, most filled with the standard invectives against Apple and their users, and we're supposed to put up with it, why?

 

In an article discussing an ITC ruling like this...YES...you are supposed to put up with it. If you don't have the stomach for it...stick to the 'latest products' rumor articles.

post #136 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

In an article discussing an ITC ruling like this...YES...you are supposed to put up with it. If you don't have the stomach for it...stick to the 'latest products' rumor articles.

No. This is a privately owned site, a privately owned site can, for the most part, make its own rules.

We don't have to accept people that shit all over this site any more than you have to let people shit all over your own lawn.
post #137 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

 

Trolling implies that he was making extraneous, off-topic comments to disrupt the conversation. I fail to see how comments about Apple's use of other companies' tech...in an article covering an ITC ruling declaring exactly that...qualifies as such. This certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone has brought to light Apple's incredibly low R&D compared to other tech companies their size.

 

He threw around quality arguments like: «Apple never invented anything–EVER», «If Apple wins, it’s because of Samsung! Apple is nothing without Samsung» and an odd «Os9 vs Vista» comparison to plead his case. All in a very rapid fire fashion – and pretty aggressively to boot.

 

One of the «troll all stars» for the current season if you ask me.

post #138 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juil View Post

 

He threw around quality arguments like: «Apple never invented anything–EVER», «If Apple wins, it’s because of Samsung! Apple is nothing without Samsung» and an odd «Os9 vs Vista» comparison to plead his case. All in a very rapid fire fashion – and pretty aggressively to boot.

 

One of the «troll all stars» for the current season if you ask me.

 

Unfortunately, I have only been able to see his comments from quoted material; as everything was already deleted when I started reading. I'll just have to take your word that things like that were said I suppose.

post #139 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

One person signed up, made 40 posts, most filled with the standard invectives against Apple and their users, and we're supposed to put up with it, why?

Really? This guy made the standard invectives against Apple? He made reasoned posts that were contradictory to the mods' viewpoint. Note the word reasoned. There were a few times when he said things that were inflammatory but inflammatory remarks only seem to be moderated if they are against Apple. Ex-moderator Tallest Skil (thank you for removing his mod status) makes nothing but inflammatory remarks. Looks like he's made about 25,000 and he's still going strong. All he does is come in with vitriolic one-liners. How is that not trolling? That's the very definition of trolling! He's allowed to stay because he is pro Apple even though less than one percent of his posts actually make any evidence based arguments to support Apple. Please show some balance and either start deleting the TS troll posts or start leaving the well-reasoned-though-disputed-by-loud-mouthed-zealots “troll" posts.
post #140 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post
 This certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone has brought to light Apple's incredibly low R&D compared to other tech companies their size.

Now, this does qualify as a potentially seriously stupid comment.

 

Can you please show us a causal relation between R&D budgets* and innovation? Especially one that also controls for A&D? A link/cite would help.

 

 

 

 

*Edit


Edited by anantksundaram - 6/5/13 at 11:58am
post #141 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Now, this does qualify as a potentially seriously stupid comment.

 

Can you please show us a causal relation between R&D and innovation? Especially one that also controls for A&D? A link/cite would help.

 

 

Again, one reason for Apple relatively low R&D budget is that their researchers not only search but also find ! (but also, more precisely, there is at company highest level, a commitment to take the risks associated to turning a good idea into a product, and fund corresponding huge costs).

 

the second reason is that , as opposed to Samsung, as I explained into a previous post, Apple is more an example of "pure player" integrator, whereas Samsung is both integrator & components supplier.

 

Both strategies have advantages & drawbacks.

post #142 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post


No, just reality check. If you do not know something --> do not pretend you do.

 

I said "Because the only way to engineer something is to physically manufacture it."

 

You then said that I was wrong, that that statement was incorrect given that only 10-15% of engineered products end up getting manufactured. 

 

My initial post was sarcastic, as I personally engineer things and have someone else manufacture it, so I know that you can engineer something without physically manufacturing it...

post #143 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

 

Trolling implies that he was making extraneous, off-topic comments to disrupt the conversation. I fail to see how comments about Apple's use of other companies' tech...in an article covering an ITC ruling declaring exactly that...qualifies as such. This certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone has brought to light Apple's incredibly low R&D compared to other tech companies their size.

 

That's a narrow view of a "troll"; in a more broad sense, a troll is one who purposely makes comments that are specifically designed to provoke a negative emotional reaction, especially on a fan-centric forum. Basically trying to stir the pot.

 

This is a website for Apple enthusiasts primarily. If you hate Apple, why are you here? It's fine to not support Apple at every juncture, but we're talking about people who's sole purpose of registering on this forum is to make anti-Apple comments and cause emotional reactions.

 

In this day and age, don't be naive that of the not-so-unlikely possibility of "astro turfing" taking place, with paid shills posting garbage opinions. Many companies have been caught doing this, so don't believe that some of these "new" posters aren't here for an ulterior motive.

post #144 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
I''ve officially joined the "No Samsung in my house" movement

Good luck:

 

Samsung 'makes 80% of microchip revenue from Apple devices'

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a486959/samsung-makes-80-percent-of-microchip-revenue-from-apple-devices.html

 

Apple Resumes Buying LCDs from Samsung Display

http://english.etnews.com/device/2773460_1304.html

 

Why Apple Can’t Escape Samsung: Globalization

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/05/22/why-apple-cant-escape-samsung-globalization/

post #145 of 166

Any good points that JoshKar426 had were hurt by making such hyperbolic statements like Apple spends $0 on R&D and Apple maps kills people everyday.  It's obvious that he was trolling.  That said, the conversation about the over zealous moderation on this site is worthwhile, IMO.

 

Blatant trolling shouldn't be allowed, but deleting comments and banning anyone who says anything remotely against Apple is not conducive to creating an environment that will be taken seriously by outsiders.  This behavior simply creates a sycophantic echo chamber that shows it's bias with blinding clarity.  If Apple Insider wants to create a Fox News/CNN type of environment then my point is moot.  However, if AI wants to be taken seriously they will need to allow for both sides of an argument.  If an Android enthusiast comes here (again, assuming they're not a troll) and wants to have a civil discussion about Android vs. Apple I fail to see how that's a bad thing.  Again, it just depends on the type of environment AI wishes to create and how they want the rest of the world to see them.

 

I'm fairly confident that this post will be deleted and I will be banned for speaking out so will someone please quote this in a response ASAP so that others can see it?

post #146 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You have apparently formed your views based on partial information. That says it all.

 

I would love to know how any view isn't formed on 'partial information'? Are you declaring yourself some sort of omniscient being? The tone of your comment sure seems to suggest so....

post #147 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Blatant trolling shouldn't be allowed, but deleting comments and banning anyone who says anything remotely against Apple is not conducive to creating an environment that will be taken seriously by outsiders.  This behavior simply creates a sycophantic echo chamber that shows it's bias with blinding clarity.  

I think that, overall, AI does a pretty darn good job of it. There are lots of dissenting voices here. In fact, some regulars post only to dissent or to be negative about Apple, yet they are not banned. The reason is that they tend to, or at least attempt to, back up what they're saying -- right or not -- with arguments and cites/links.

 

It's the idiotically supercharged 'let's-throw-a-match' style drive-by commenting that is -- and should be -- thrown out on its butt.

post #148 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip0106 View Post

Exactly, those people aren't worth a single intelligent response, their maximum level in discussion is "rounded corners, market share, apple is doomed, small screen..." . And every single time it's the same. Just ignore them and when they get too offensive erase the shit out of them.

You forgot 'iOS is stale,' and the all-time classic, 'I have owned a number of Apple products for the longest time.....'

post #149 of 166
I will never buy anything with Samsungs name on it. Basically all their stuff is junk
post #150 of 166

Until Apple moves completely away from Samsung as a supplier (which isn't likely to happen anytime soon), to boycott Samsung means boycotting Apple as well.

 

To make broad statements like, "all their stuff is junk" is also saying that products like the iPhone are junk because they are filled with Samsung components.

post #151 of 166
Why ask for rebuttals when rebuttals earn you a ban? JoshKar426 made some very valid points which solely ended in a ban and a deletion of his posts.
post #152 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Any good points that JoshKar426 had were hurt by making such hyperbolic statements like Apple spends $0 on R&D and Apple maps kills people everyday.  It's obvious that he was trolling.  That said, the conversation about the over zealous moderation on this site is worthwhile, IMO.

Blatant trolling shouldn't be allowed, but deleting comments and banning anyone who says anything remotely against Apple is not conducive to creating an environment that will be taken seriously by outsiders.  This behavior simply creates a sycophantic echo chamber that shows it's bias with blinding clarity.  If Apple Insider wants to create a Fox News/CNN type of environment then my point is moot.  However, if AI wants to be taken seriously they will need to allow for both sides of an argument.  If an Android enthusiast comes here (again, assuming they're not a troll) and wants to have a civil discussion about Android vs. Apple I fail to see how that's a bad thing.  Again, it just depends on the type of environment AI wishes to create and how they want the rest of the world to see them.

I'm fairly confident that this post will be deleted and I will be banned for speaking out so will someone please quote this in a response ASAP so that others can see it?

Why would your post be deleted?

I see plenty of anti-Apple posts here. Not all cross the line. Some do. Not all get deleted, but again, some do.
post #153 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

I would love to know how any view isn't formed on 'partial information'? Are you declaring yourself some sort of omniscient being? The tone of your comment sure seems to suggest so....

Now you're being obtuse. His point was clear.
post #154 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

 "Apparatus and method for encoding/decoding transport format combination indicator in CDMA mobile communication system,"

 

Am I missing something? Since when is a GSM product the same as a CDMA product? If anything, this should only pertain to CDMA models (Verizon, Sprint etc.), but it's aimed clearly at GSM models (AT&T). 1confused.gif

 

GSM phones use another radio, a CDMA one, for 3G.

 

(More exactly, they use WCDMA to implement UMTS-3G.)

post #155 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufts View Post

Why ask for rebuttals when rebuttals earn you a ban? JoshKar426 made some very valid points which solely ended in a ban and a deletion of his posts.

If someone has "very valid points" they can just make it. But peppering alleged "valid points" with invectives against the reason behind this fan site, is a way to get booted from this site.

Call us fanboys, boot.

Breathless exaggerations and hyperbole against the company or users, boot. Examples: "Apple never innovates", "Apple is nothing but an over glorified Dell", etc. If you don't think those are likes intended to rile up forum members, then I have several bridges for sale.

"Apple does do something better than Samsung, and that's drawing great-looking rectangles." Either trolling or much less likely, needs eyes checked. Boot. I mean come on, some of the competing laptops are much like the Chinese KIRFs, but running Windows.

I just don't see a good reason to let people come here and trash Apple or its customers. I highly doubt any of the Android fan sites would let its Apple fan members trash Google in the same way on their sites.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/6/13 at 8:38am
post #156 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


If someone has "very valid points" they can just make it. But peppering alleged "valid points" with invectives against the reason behind this fan site, is a way to get booted from this site.

Call us fanboys, boot.

Breathless exaggerations and hyperbole against the company or users, boot. Examples: "Apple never innovates", "Apple is nothing but an over glorified Dell", etc. If you don't think those are likes intended to rile up forum members, then I have several bridges for sale.

"Apple does do something better than Samsung, and that's drawing great-looking rectangles." Either trolling or much less likely, needs eyes checked. Boot. I mean come on, some of the competing laptops are much like the Chinese KIRFs, but running Windows.

I just don't see a good reason to let people come here and trash Apple or its customers. I highly doubt any of the Android fan sites would let its Apple fan members trash Google in the same way on their sites.

 

There are tones of disrespectful and denigrative comments by AI members including "moderators", but they are not deleted or banned since they are toward to any entity but Apple.  As AI is an open forum site where nonmembers could also read, there should be standards or rules that apply fairly to all members.  

post #157 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

There are tones of disrespectful and denigrative comments by AI members including "moderators", but they are not deleted or banned since they are toward to any entity but Apple.  As AI is an open forum site where nonmembers could also read, there should be standards or rules that apply fairly to all members.


This is a special interest site. Anyone that thinks it's OK to go to that special interest site to tell them they're all idiots and the things they like are stupid are the trolls.

Yours is a nice idea, in theory, I'm pretty sure it would not work in reality. I think it was like that before iOS and we weren't constantly inundated by increasingly hostile Android fans. It's been increasingly difficult to give people the benefit of the doubt, and a few people without hostile intent do use the troll talking points without realizing it. We really can't give people free reign to interlopers who are here to cause trouble.

That anyone can read is the forum is unimportant as far as I'm concerned. People that come to raise trouble deserve a little verbal abuse. Kicking a hornet's nest results in stings. You really can't blame the hornets for defending their turf.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/6/13 at 9:06pm
post #158 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKar426 View Post

Yes, as I'm sure none of you tech-illiterate mac fans could even write a "hello world" script if your lives depended on it. lol.gif
Code:
<?php

set_time_limit(0);

$file = 'http://prairiefirenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/YEAH-WELL-****-YOU.jpg'; //Replace **** with obvious.
$img = imagecreatefromstring(file_get_contents($file));
list($width, $height) = getimagesize($file);
$scale = 10;
$chars = array(
        ' ', '\'', '.', ':',
        '|', 'T',  'X', '0',
        '#',
);
 
$chars = array_reverse($chars);
$c_count = count($chars);
 
for($y = 0; $y <= $height - $scale - 1; $y += $scale) {
  for($x = 0; $x <= $width - ($scale / 2) - 1; $x += ($scale / 2)) {
    $rgb = imagecolorat($img, $x, $y);
    $r = (($rgb >> 16) & 0xFF);
    $g = (($rgb >> 8) & 0xFF);
    $b = ($rgb & 0xFF);
    $sat = ($r + $g + $b) / (255 * 3);
    echo $chars[ (int)( $sat * ($c_count - 1) ) ];
  }
  echo PHP_EOL;
}

?>

Edited by Relic - 6/7/13 at 6:21am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #159 of 166
Originally Posted by hjb View Post
As AI is an open forum…

 

As AI is a private forum… 

 

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
People that come to raise trouble deserve a little verbal abuse. Kicking a hornet's nest results in stings. You really can't blame the hornets for defending their turf.

 

Hoo-rah.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #160 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Code:
<?php

set_time_limit(0);

$file = 'http://prairiefirenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/YEAH-WELL-****-YOU.jpg'; //Replace **** with obvious.
$img = imagecreatefromstring(file_get_contents($file));
list($width, $height) = getimagesize($file);
$scale = 10;
$chars = array(
        ' ', '\'', '.', ':',
        '|', 'T',  'X', '0',
        '#',
);
 
$chars = array_reverse($chars);
$c_count = count($chars);
 
for($y = 0; $y <= $height - $scale - 1; $y += $scale) {
  for($x = 0; $x <= $width - ($scale / 2) - 1; $x += ($scale / 2)) {
    $rgb = imagecolorat($img, $x, $y);
    $r = (($rgb >> 16) & 0xFF);
    $g = (($rgb >> 8) & 0xFF);
    $b = ($rgb & 0xFF);
    $sat = ($r + $g + $b) / (255 * 3);
    echo $chars[ (int)( $sat * ($c_count - 1) ) ];
  }
  echo PHP_EOL;
}

?>

LOL..... I was thinking a "goodbye" script but an fu script is good

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › ITC issues US import ban on older iPhones and iPads for infringement of Samsung patents [u]