or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple installing WWDC banners: 'Where a whole new world is developing'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple installing WWDC banners: 'Where a whole new world is developing'

post #1 of 93
Thread Starter 
Apple has started installing banners for next week's World Wide Developer Conference, featuring brightly colored squares and the tagline "Where a whole new world is developing."


Apple WWDC banners going up at Moscone Center, San Francisco


Located in San Francisco's Moscone West convention center, the 2013 WWDC event banners reflect the the same light, bright color scheme reflected in the sessions' app (pictured below, in contrast to the app released for previous years).

iphone 4s
via Garee's Blog


The bright, layered look may hint at similar use of color in the revised appearance of iOS 7 as well as the next version of OS X, both of which will be introduced to the public and detailed in depth for Apple's developers in the week long sessions focusing on third party support for Apple's platforms.

Apple has often "leaked" design elements of its upcoming operating system releases in apps, particularly in releases of key software such as iTunes. In fact, the new WWDC app looks a lot like the new iTunes 11, employing the same mostly white backgrounds highlighted with lighter shades of grey, limited use of color, and flatter, simple, iconic iPad-style button icons.


Apple WWDC banners going up at Moscone Center, San Francisco


Outside Moscone West, workers are also again installing giant white Apple logos on either side of the building's prominent corner (below).


Apple WWDC banners going up at Moscone Center, San Francisco


This year, WWDC attendees will see lots of changes and activity in the South of Market Area surrounding the venue, including the revamped Metreon retail complex across the street, which now includes a scaled down City Target department store and a greatly expanded food court offering alternatives to the food options provided at WWDC.

Fourth Street itself is also a hotbed of construction, given that San Francisco has started work on the Central Subway, which will include a station south of Moscone as well three blocks west at Union Square.


Existing Apple Store, San Francisco


Apple's current retail store at Fourth and Market is at the epicenter of the large project, which has closed the BART subway entrance under the store and blocked the streets in front of it, but hasn't done much to tame the crowds visiting the store itself.

New Union Square Apple Store location


Apple's planned new store at Union Square (pictured above, two blocks north of the current one on Market Street) will upgrade the location's capacity and put it in a classier location next to luxury stores and upscale hotels, rather than on the drab and dirty corner of the Powell Bart station (portrayed above it).
post #2 of 93

There we go; banner thread! Hopefully the other ones will be as uselessly cryptic, too.


 

I worry about this picture. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 93
Nice bum shot. (...and I realize this comment has other connotations outside the US) 1biggrin.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 93
Check out those square icon corners! 1tongue.gif

P.S. The slogan means we're going back to chemicals and darkrooms for photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

There we go; banner thread! Hopefully the other ones will be as uselessly cryptic, too.

I worry about this picture.

Pigeons gonna pidge.
post #5 of 93

Where can I get one of those giant Apple banners for my car window?

 

1wink.gif

post #6 of 93
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Pigeons gonna pidge.

 

lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #7 of 93
Whole new world?

That obviously means they are introducing a low cost iPhone so that the "whole world" and "developing" countries can use it!

That obviously means a new iTV is finally being announced. "A whole new world" before your very eyes!

That obviously means iOS and OSX are finally merging into one... Wait for it... "Whole new world" of operating systems!







Or it means nothing.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #8 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I worry about this picture. lol.gif

The pigeons can be annoying.
post #9 of 93
I don't see square corners in those banners.
post #10 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Whole new world?

That obviously means they are introducing a low cost iPhone so that the "whole world" and "developing" countries can use it!

That obviously means a new iTV is finally being announced. "A whole new world" before your very eyes!

That obviously means iOS and OSX are finally merging into one... Wait for it... "Whole new world" of operating systems!







Or it means nothing.
It means something of course. But since its a developer conference I don't think it has anything to do with a low cost phone. Unless a low cost phone has a different OS or different apps.
post #11 of 93
SQUARE IPHONE

Also, this is the third WWDC in a row that the intersection in front of the Apple Store will be under construction. What gives?
post #12 of 93

My reaction...

 

post #13 of 93

What is up with that one picture?

 

Would it have been too much to ask for the photographer to wait two seconds before they snapped the shot, and let the Android user at least walk out of the frame before taking the picture?

post #14 of 93
It wouldn't be a photo of Union Square without a homeless person in there somewhere.
post #15 of 93
At least this is a decent slogan. The one last year (where great ideas go on to do great things) was pretty bad. Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.
post #16 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

At least this is a decent slogan. The one last year (where great ideas go on to do great things) was pretty bad. Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.

I suppose it was better than 'OS X + iOS + iCloud = WWDC'...

post #17 of 93
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.

 

It can be stolen.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #18 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There we go; banner thread! Hopefully the other ones will be as uselessly cryptic, too.

 

I worry about this picture. lol.gif

No you don't. You worry about the state of the country. This is the NEW Apple customer. :(

post #19 of 93
If they don't announce an API for the TV I'm going to be disappointed
post #20 of 93
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post
If they don't announce an API for the TV I'm going to be disappointed

 

If they do, I'll be disappointed.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #21 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.

Ideas are the cornerstone of all human accomplishment. Just for you and I to communicate about its value on this forum countless ideas through all human existence that had to be so powerful that they moved millions of people to shape into reality what had merely started off as a single electrical impulse in the brain. They are the heart and soul of what makes humans so unique in the world as we know it. We are only as powerful as our ideas.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #22 of 93
I love how the picture of the apple store in SanFran highlights some guy taking a causal stroll whilst smoking a cigarette. Great mood capturing
post #23 of 93

I'm betting iOS will jump the river onto some previously OSX only form factors (a.k.a. "A whole new world" referencing Post-PC era.).  Mark my word. 1smoking.gif

post #24 of 93
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
... including the revamped Metreon retail complex across the street, which now includes a scaled down City Target department store and a greatly expanded food court offering alternatives to the food options provided at WWDC.

 

How the mighty have fallen.  The Metreon used to be called Sony Metreon, and it used to contain a large Sony retail store plus a separate Play Station store.  It was supposed to be the first in a chain of Sony "urban entertainment centers."  But it just didn't attract enough business.  All traces of Sony are gone now.  Replaced by Target and more restaurants in the food court.

 

Oh, and there used to be a Microsoft Store in the Metreon too.  Closed after just two years.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #25 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has started installing banners for next week's World Wide Developer Conference, featuring brightly colored squares and the tagline "Where a whole new world is developing.".

Isn't it obvious? They bought some of Kodak's patents and Apple is now getting into home film developing. That's a niche that even Samsung wouldn't copy. 1cool.gif
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #26 of 93
pro tip: Apple didn't design or develop the WWDC app.
post #27 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ideas are the cornerstone of all human accomplishment. Just for you and I to communicate about its value on this forum countless ideas through all human existence that had to be so powerful that they moved millions of people to shape into reality what had merely started off as a single electrical impulse in the brain. They are the heart and soul of what makes humans so unique in the world as we know it. We are only as powerful as our ideas.
Human beings do things, not ideas.
post #28 of 93
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
pro tip: Apple didn't design or develop the WWDC app.

 

In what universe does that make any sense?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #29 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nice bum shot. (...and I realize this comment has other connotations outside the US) 1biggrin.gif

 

It also has more connotations in the US. Every time one walks down the street the use of the term bum is more often about a woman's butt than a vagabond.

post #30 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totems View Post

I love how the picture of the apple store in SanFran highlights some guy taking a causal stroll whilst smoking a cigarette. Great mood capturing

I'm not sure I'd call that a 'casual stroll'. I don't think he is going camping either. More like an existential meander through the underbelly of existence. 

post #31 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Human beings do things, not ideas.

You can't be that shortsighted. How does a human purposely create something new if there is no catalyst for the result. That's an idea. It's doing is getting us to do.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/4/13 at 8:22pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #32 of 93

I look forward to the new visuals - I love the multicoloured 'splash' and I can't tell you how glad I'll be to see the back of the blue/grey IOS system colour. I always found it so dour and depressing.

post #33 of 93

New World ...Bleh sounds so 16th century

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #34 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

At least this is a decent slogan. The one last year (where great ideas go on to do great things) was pretty bad. Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

It can be stolen.

 

Samsung looks at more like "borrowing without asking."

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #35 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

 

How the mighty have fallen.  The Metreon used to be called Sony Metreon, and it used to contain a large Sony retail store plus a separate Play Station store.  It was supposed to be the first in a chain of Sony "urban entertainment centers."  But it just didn't attract enough business.  All traces of Sony are gone now.  Replaced by Target and more restaurants in the food court.

 

Oh, and there used to be a Microsoft Store in the Metreon too.  Closed after just two years.

 

 

That Target in the Metreon sucks. I went in there and asked the guy if they sell liquor and he told me it was in the back right corner. I get back there and all they had was wine. 1mad.gif

post #36 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Human beings do things, not ideas.
Before a human does a thing he or she generally does an idea. How else would s/he know what to do?
post #37 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

… Or it means nothing.

 

Well, "A Whole New World" has to be one of, if not the most overused platitudes there ever was.  It's almost as cheesy as "This Changes Everything."

So yeah, it could mean almost anything.  

 

The only thing it says to me for sure is that Apple hasn't got much new in the advertising and promotion department if this is all they can come up with.  The coloured squares on the invite and the banners are attractive, but since we already know they have nothing to do with the new look of the OS, they fill me with sadness also.  

 

It all feels a bit tired and regurgitated to me.  Almost, (dare I say it) … Microsoftian.  


Edited by Gazoobee - 6/4/13 at 10:04pm
post #38 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totems View Post

I love how the picture of the apple store in SanFran highlights some guy taking a causal stroll whilst smoking a cigarette. Great mood capturing

 

Either you are being ridiculously overly politically correct, or you can't see the forest for the trees. 

 

It's not "a guy taking a casual stroll whilst smoking."  You make him sound like an eighteenth century gentleman.  

 

It's a homeless drug addict with a trash burger in his hand. 

post #39 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeco View Post

 

 

That Target in the Metreon sucks. I went in there and asked the guy if they sell liquor and he told me it was in the back right corner. I get back there and all they had was wine. 1mad.gif

 

 

liq·uor  

/ˈlikər/
 
Noun
  1. Alcoholic drink, esp. distilled spirits.
  2. A liquid produced or used in a process of some kind, in particular.
 
Synonyms
drink - booze - liquid - beverage - fluid
post #40 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Well, "A Whole New World" has to be one of, if not the most overused platitudes there ever was.  It's almost as cheesy as "This Changes Everything."

So yeah, it could mean almost anything.  

 

It all feels a bit tired and regurgitated to me.  Almost, (dare I say it) … Microsoftian.  

 

Lucky for you, you won't have to wait long to find out what it means.

Oh wait, never mind: you've already decided it's tired and regurgitated. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple installing WWDC banners: 'Where a whole new world is developing'