or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T

Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T

post #1 of 88
While Samsung's latest flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S4, unsurprisingly took the top spot at three of the four major U.S. carriers' stores in the month of May, Apple's eight-month-old iPhone 5 still remained the most popular smartphone at AT&T retail.

AT&T

The latest carrier retail sales data collected from wireless store surveys by Canaccord Genuity shows that the Samsung Galaxy S4 was the best selling handset at Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile locations in May. At all three carrier stores, Apple's iPhone 5 came in second place.

The figures do not include sales of iPhones from Apple's own retail stores, and only represent direct carrier sales of handsets.

In April, when the Galaxy S4 saw limited availability, the iPhone 5 was the top selling smartphone at all four major U.S. carrier stores. But as shipments of the Galaxy S4 began to increase, Samsung's latest Android handset took over in May ? but not at AT&T.

For years, the iPhone remained exclusively available on AT&T in the U.S., and customers on that carrier have shown a significant loyalty to Apple. That was evident once again in May, when the iPhone 5 outsold the Galaxy S4.

Coming in third in May at AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile was the HTC One. But Nokia's Lumia 928 found a spot in third place at Verizon, the only carrier where the Finnish handset maker cracked the top three.

The popularity of the HTC One and Nokia Lumia 928 pushed out the Galaxy Note II, which had previously been the third-best-selling handset at most U.S. carriers over the last four months.

The strength of the Galaxy S4 in May made Samsung the top smartphone vendor in the U.S. for the month, according to Canaccord Genuity. That pushed Apple to second place, while HTC finished in third and Nokia took fourth.

Interpreting the survey data, analyst T. Michael Walkley said the Galaxy S4 was helped by Samsung's strong "Galaxy" consumer brand, as well as a major marketing effort from the South Korean company.

Walkley noted the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, Apple's legacy models, remain in strong demand at major carriers, despite not cracking the top three handsets sold at Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile. Based on the popularity of those previous-generation handsets, Walkley believes Apple will introduce a new lower-priced iPhone model later this year, as recent rumors have suggested the company may do.

Finally, Walkley said despite strong reviews for HTC's new flagship One smartphone, he's not sure the company has the "brand, distribution and marketing budget" to compete with Samsung and Apple ? the two dominant players in the smartphone market.
post #2 of 88

Cardinal numbers numbers would have been better than merely ordinal.....

post #3 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Based on the popularity of those previous-generation handsets, Walkley believes Apple will introduce a new lower-priced iPhone model later this year, as recent rumors have suggested the company may do.

WTF????  How is this jump made???  So because one strategy is proving very popular and cost efficient for Apple they will most likely adopt a completely different strategy going forward? 

post #4 of 88
Of course, this data does not include any units sold at the Apple online or retail stores.

I find the web usage uptake of Mobile web page views much more interesting comparing the first 40 days of each the iPhone 5 and the combined weight of the HTC One and Galaxy S4.

http://pic.twitter.com/7ISQqxvkPa

If people are buying these two Android phones, they really aren't using them to surf much and that surprises me since I would expect surfing would be a prime use given their larger screens.
post #5 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The figures do not include sales of iPhones from Apple's own retail stores, and only represent direct carrier sales of handsets.

So that makes this article what? Standard fair click bait, that's what.

post #6 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Of course, this data does not include any units sold at the Apple online or retail stores.

Personally I have purchased several iPhones and cellular iPads and not one was purchased from the carrier.

Similarly it probably doesn't include all of the Galaxy Phones purchased at Best Buy, etc.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #7 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How would an ornithological numbering system be better?¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #8 of 88
Apple stores not included. That says a lot about the "accuracy" of the report.

Through my retail* checks, Amazon sold 0 kindles; Sammy sold 0 galaxies; and Apple has 100% market share.

*Note: only Apple stores were checked.
post #9 of 88
Nice going, Apple. You really screwed your own pooch. Samsung is probably offering spiffs to all the salespeople to push the Galaxy S4 and thereby cementing Samsung's market share lead. Meanwhile, Tim Cook sits back and looks out the window of his office trying to pick out recognizable shapes in the clouds. If consumers can really get an S4 from WalMart for $80, I don't know how people could refuse that sort of bargain for a high-end smartphone. Samsung is making all the right moves to grab market share, most likely at the expense of profit margins. I don't think Samsung really cares because I would assume they want as many of their smartphones in consumers' hands as possible to get the most possible news media mindshare.

I'm only partially joking because I know Apple is going to come back strong. I'm sure there are lot of loyal Apple customers waiting for the next latest and greatest iPhone. It just pisses me off that Samsung is pounding Apple to death with high sales numbers.
post #10 of 88
Pl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Nice going, Apple. You really screwed your own pooch. Samsung is probably offering spiffs to all the salespeople to push the Galaxy S4 and thereby cementing Samsung's market share lead. Meanwhile, Tim Cook sits back and looks out the window of his office trying to pick out recognizable shapes in the clouds. If consumers can really get an S4 from WalMart for $80, I don't know how people could refuse that sort of bargain for a high-end smartphone. Samsung is making all the right moves to grab market share, most likely at the expense of profit margins. I don't think Samsung really cares because I would assume they want as many of their smartphones in consumers' hands as possible to get the most possible news media mindshare.

I'm only partially joking because I know Apple is going to come back strong. I'm sure there are lot of loyal Apple customers waiting for the next latest and greatest iPhone. It just pisses me off that Samsung is pounding Apple to death with high sales numbers.

Plus the analyst didn't count Apple stores. I bet a large number of iPhones are sold there regardless of carrier.
post #11 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That pun doesn't fly. You should've tweeted it.
post #12 of 88
Hmm...just curious when these mobile carriers released sales figures. I don't remember seeing it. In fact I don't remember them releasing sales figures for anything other than iPhone. 1hmm.gif
post #13 of 88
Quote:

Quote:

Personally, I prefer the aboriginal numbering system: few and many...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #14 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Pl
Plus the analyst didn't count Apple stores. I bet a large number of iPhones are sold there regardless of carrier.

They also didnt count electronic stores. But that wasn't the point. However you count, Samsung is doing well with their Galaxy line. Nothing wrong with that because Apple is also doing quite well. Apple doesn't need all companies to die for it to succeed.
post #15 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Personally, I prefer the aboriginal numbering system: few and many...
Isn't it one, two, few and many?
post #16 of 88
What we really want to see are figures on new handsets activated.
We would also like to see at least a link to the actual report.
post #17 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Quote:

That pun doesn't fly. You should've tweeted it.

Quote:
That "Bird on the Wing" thing
   is just some more of Browning's clowning.
Contrary, to what you heard --
   The Wing is really on the Bird!

...ugh

post #18 of 88
I'm a long time Apple guy going back to 1979 or so. It gives me no pleasure to tell everyone that Apple has lost its edge with the iPhone. I think the iPhone is a solid phone, polished, and intuitive. Where it loses the edge is on technology. Kids love Tech, I'm a big kid and I like Tech. The big screen is really what sold me, but this Near Field Technology is very cool, so is haptic response and Air View where you hove your finger over the screen for previews. I'm not a fan of the eye scroll thingy but my wife likes it.

I've had the S4 just two days now and I miss a few things on the iPhone like the logical placement of apps and the folders. However, the S4 has just way to many cool features and a beautiful big screen for watching videos and viewing pictures.

Come on Apple dont let this lousy Korean company take the market away from you.
post #19 of 88
Originally Posted by main1event View Post
I'm a long time Apple guy going back to 1979 or so.

Yawn.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #20 of 88
Quote:

They also didnt count electronic stores. But that wasn't the point. However you count, Samsung is doing well with their Galaxy line. Nothing wrong with that because Apple is also doing quite well. Apple doesn't need all companies to die for it to succeed.

No one is thinking otherwise but to scream Sammy is beating Apple and you don't have all the facts, is misleading and corrupt.

It's like declaring Romney victorious but only counting the southern states.
Quote:

I'm a long time Apple guy going back to 1979 or so. It gives me no pleasure to tell everyone that Apple has lost its edge with the iPhone. I think the iPhone is a solid phone, polished, and intuitive. Where it loses the edge is on technology. Kids love Tech, I'm a big kid and I like Tech. The big screen is really what sold me, but this Near Field Technology is very cool, so is haptic response and Air View where you hove your finger over the screen for previews. I'm not a fan of the eye scroll thingy but my wife likes it.

I've had the S4 just two days now and I miss a few things on the iPhone like the logical placement of apps and the folders. However, the S4 has just way to many cool features and a beautiful big screen for watching videos and viewing pictures.

You forgot to list all your Apple products. Since when is a big screen considered new tech. NFC? Ask a teen about that one. See what you get as a response.
post #21 of 88
Quote:

That really made me laugh! :) It's something Rowan Atkinson would say! :)

post #22 of 88
Quote:

"Well" is a relative term. Are they selling units, yes? Do people actually want them? They may not know...Commissions are a part of Samsung's marketing budget.

It's actually a huge disservice to customers when the sales people are being paid a commission to push certain types of phones. All honesty is out the window and disinformation takes over, all in the name of enhancing a paycheck. Mobile phone sales reps have replaced used car salesmen on the slimy meter. Reminds me of the days when you'd walk into CompUSA and listen to the sales people spreading false information or out right lying when a customer expressed interest in a Mac.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Not because I'm an Apple user, but I would tell every person new to smartphones to start with the cheapest model of iPhone, for these three reasons...

1. Don't have to worry about malware.

2. Updates are immediately available.

3. Apple's service is second to none.

Extra reasons...

4. The iOS ecosystem is the best in the world; software, services, content, apps, etc.

5. The OS is rock solid, extremely simple to use and consistent across all devices.

6. Apple is good at maintaining support for older devices than most other OEMs.

You'll notice not one of those things is a "feature" or EVER listed as a feature by any other OEM.

Edited by mjtomlin - 6/5/13 at 2:40pm
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #23 of 88
Quote:

Unless I'm missing something, Apple is not getting pounded to death.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/04/apple-widens-lead-over-samsung-in-us-smartphone-market

Also, I was just at Best Buy this weekend to trade in an old problematic iPhone 4 and get an iPhone 5 for free. That's not a bad deal. I waited over 30 minutes (I was 12th on a list) just to get serviced. The only phones being bought the whole time I was there were iPhones. I'm not an Apple fanatic, but I do like their stuff. And based on what I was observing in person, Apple is doing just fine. Looking forward to see what they announce next week.

post #24 of 88
Quote:

Bigger screens have nothing to do with technology, it's a personal preference, like say, whether your device is made of plastic, glass or metal. The iPhone's screen size isn't about watching media, it's about being able to use it with one hand, comfortably. Apple designed it around the fact that it is a mobile device you'll be carrying with you while on the go, not while you're sitting down or standing around with nothing better to do. However I do understand that some people may need a bigger screen due to visual impairment, and Apple may in the future provide a solution for that - today they don't.

Apple won't implement NFC until there is a viable method of making sure transactions are completely secure and user information remains private. NFC has a host of security issues due to the fact that it transmits radio waves that can be snooped and when that information is related to finances, you can bet, it's being snooped. Furthermore, they need to make sure that a stolen device could no way be used/cracked to make transactions. I'm willing to bet, this is exactly the reason they bought that biosensor firm - The iPhone 6 + iOS 8 will have a mobile wallet system in place that utilize NFC, FingerPrint scanning, and pull credit card information from the user's iTunes account.

Apple has also shown interest in those other things you mentioned, but they are, for the most, just gimmicks when considered within the context of mobility.

post #25 of 88
At AT&T they are giving you a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for $199 if you buy a Galaxy S4 and they still are in second place. Makes me wonder what Samsung is giving away at the other carriers in order to get the top spot.
post #26 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Unless I'm missing something, Apple is not getting pounded to death.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/04/apple-widens-lead-over-samsung-in-us-smartphone-market

Also, I was just at Best Buy this weekend to trade in an old problematic iPhone 4 and get an iPhone 5 for free. That's not a bad deal. I waited over 30 minutes (I was 12th on a list) just to get serviced. The only phones being bought the whole time I was there were iPhones. I'm not an Apple fanatic, but I do like their stuff. And based on what I was observing in person, Apple is doing just fine. Looking forward to see what they announce next week.

Queue everyone stating "It's not free if you have to sign a contract!!!!!!!1!!!1!!!", neglecting to state that you will be paying the same amount of money per month whether you sign that contract or not, so you might as well have a better phone. My wife took advantage of that deal, too, absolutely awesome, even if a new phone comes out in three months.

post #27 of 88
Quote:

I'm a long time Apple guy .......

Yep, I am sure you are!
post #28 of 88
* some people are wet and drenched in a thunderstorm and states "what rain? its sunny and dry."
post #29 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Queue everyone stating "It's not free if you have to sign a contract!!!!!!!1!!!1!!!", neglecting to state that you will be paying the same amount of money per month whether you sign that contract or not, so you might as well have a better phone. My wife took advantage of that deal, too, absolutely awesome, even if a new phone comes out in three months.

"Queue" everyone? Seriously?

post #30 of 88
Quote:

Quote:

Not bad as a response, but a bit bird-brained...... ;-)
post #31 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Bigger screens have nothing to do with technology, it's a personal preference, like say, whether your device is made of plastic, glass or metal. 

Indeed. This whole theme about Apple having to catch up to large screen smartphones is so symptomatic of the techno-ignorance of analysts and tech writers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Apple won't implement NFC until there is a viable method of making sure transactions are completely secure and user information remains private. NFC has a host of security issues due to the fact that it transmits radio waves that can be snooped and when that information is related to finances, you can bet, it's being snooped. 

NFC is not just for mobile payment. It is quite possible that Apple will add this feature for a whole different reason. Either that, or they will be leaving some not so trivial niche applications to other phones.

post #32 of 88
Something is very suspect with this survey. How can the galaxy s4 be the best selling phone at Verizon in May when it didn't even go on sale at Verizon until May 23? They sold that much in one week? i find this hard to believe. Sprint and t-mobile I get, they were on sale the entire month.
post #33 of 88
Quote:

Pl

Bet the bank, the house, and the farm.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #34 of 88
Quote:

Yep, I am sure you are!

I don't understand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

post #35 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr1 View Post

Something is very suspect with this survey. How can the galaxy s4 be the best selling phone at Verizon in May when it didn't even go on sale at Verizon until May 23? They sold that much in one week? i find this hard to believe. Sprint and t-mobile I get, they were on sale the entire month.
post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

I don't understand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

Stating you're a long time fan is the first rule of trolling. It doesn't need to be said if you're really a fan.
post #37 of 88
Quote:

It just pisses me off that Samsung is pounding Apple to death with high sales numbers.

Why? Apple has held less than 10% marketshare for decades on the PC side after controlling the majority back in the early eighties. That hasn't stopped them from making the best OS on the best laptops and desktops by any standard.

They could stand to lose a much bigger chunk of marketshare and still be fine. In fact they might even improve their product if dealing with less consumers.

post #38 of 88
Quote:

Stating you're a long time fan is the first rule of trolling. It doesn't need to be said if you're really a fan.

That old wag is a tiresome excuse apologists use to dismiss any critical remark as a "concern troll."

The premise that stating one's experience automatically makes them a troll completely ignores the notion that a critical comment from a real user is actually quite likely to be framed in context, i.e. "I usually LIKE Apple products, as evidenced by my owning every single product they've ever made, so you know I'm not just bashing Apple when I say I really don't care for this particular thing."

post #39 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

No, I am not. I can gladly accept (well-argued) negative comments.
post #40 of 88
Quote:

No, I am not. I can gladly accept (well-argued) negative comments.

I've never seen you do that.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T