or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T - Page 2

post #41 of 88
One interesting tidbit was that the Note 2 was holding 3rd place at these carriers. That kind of wipes out the argument that phablets (god I hate that word) aren't selling.
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No one is thinking otherwise but to scream Sammy is beating Apple and you don't have all the facts, is misleading and corrupt.

It's like declaring Romney victorious but only counting the southern states.
You forgot to list all your Apple products. Since when is a big screen considered new tech. NFC? Ask a teen about that one. See what you get as a response.

Regarding large screen... From the horses mouth-

http://allthingsd.com/20130529/apples-tim-cook-the-full-d11-interview-video/

Go to about minute 40. IMO I view Tim's comments as not being tech ready. Thus one could say needs new tech to implement. The more complete answer starts around minute 35. Imo it appears that people are happy with their s3 and s4s etc... So sounds like excuses and not legitimate reasons to not produce a large screen version.... IMO.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #43 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

 

I don't undertand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

 

I don't understand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

Yes,  he is. Check his other posts and you will see the pattern.

post #44 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


No, I am not. I can gladly accept (well-argued) negative comments.

Can you provide an example?

post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

That old wag is a tiresome excuse apologists use to dismiss any critical remark as a "concern troll."

The premise that stating one's experience automatically makes them a troll completely ignores the notion that a critical comment from a real user is actually quite likely to be framed in context, i.e. "I usually LIKE Apple products, as evidenced by my owning every single product they've ever made, so you know I'm not just bashing Apple when I say I really don't care for this particular thing."

Have you heard any fan describe that subject with "I've been a fan since... I've own every thing they made"?

"I've been a fan of the Phillies since 1989. I've been to the Vet and CBP numerous times. I saw game 4 of the WS in 2008. but this years team is the worst ever. "

No fan does that. And if you are looking at an Apple news site, you shouldn't have to declare your interest or fandom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Regarding large screen... From the horses mouth-

http://allthingsd.com/20130529/apples-tim-cook-the-full-d11-interview-video/

Go to about minute 40. IMO I view Tim's comments as not being tech ready. Thus one could say needs new tech to implement. The more complete answer starts around minute 35. Imo it appears that people are happy with their s3 and s4s etc... So sounds like excuses and not legitimate reasons to not produce a large screen version.... IMO.

Apple isn't going to announce anything until it's ready. But there are trade offs with a larger screen. So apple is looking for tech to minimize the trade offs.
post #46 of 88
Nope not a troll. Everything I own is apple, 2 mac pros ( please we need new ones ) 2 mac minis, 2 iMacs, 3 macbook pro laptops and 3 iPads. I never said a bigger screen was a new technology but its a very cool feature when you want to show your friends or a person next to you a video. I own a production company and its nice to show people some of the work we do at network meetings or casually bumping into someone. An on the go portfolio without carrying around an iPad.

Another cool feature about the galaxy S4 is being able to control your TV with the IR remote. I just tried it a few minutes ago and its awesome. I controlled Fios TV and my Panasonic Tv.

You might not like NFC technology but its very cool to take a picture and share it with your spouse easily. Although you can do it with email or Instant Messaging, you can share larger files like Videos with NFC with ease.

The iPhone is a great polished phone, but if you like technology the S4 is a cool phone.

Here are a couple of things I dont like about the S4. Your phone messages are stored in a separate voicemail app.

Synching this phone with iCloud just isnt going to happen. Contacts go over pretty well but the Calendar thing has me baffled.

Now if you want to believe I'm a troll thats just fine, but there's a reason why Samsung is taking away phones sales from Apple.
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


I've never seen you do that.

You haven't made any well-argued comments that I can recall.....
post #48 of 88
Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post
I don't understand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

 

You've never read my Rules of the Troll, have you? 

 

Explain why ownership of Apple products supports an argument. Explain why this must be stated by so many people. Also, explain why every post that does that always begins with said statement and have ", but…" in them. That's comma, space, but. As in "I love Apple, but". "I own Apple stock, but".

 

If they actually had an argument, they'd post the argument.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You haven't made any well-argued comments that I can recall.....

I wasn't saying you had to have agreed with me but rather with anyone. And yes, I believe I have.
post #50 of 88
At Verizon store last week. Asked about new phones. Sure said the sales guy. Do you want a Samsung 3 or a Samsung 4? Don't you offer iPhones? Sure said the sales guy. Do you want an iPhone 4 or a 4s? Don't you offer the iPhone 5? Sure said the sales guy ... Walk into a Verizon store and hear it for yourself.
post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carpenter View Post

Nope not a troll. Everything I own is apple, 2 mac pros ( please we need new ones ) 2 mac minis, 2 iMacs, 3 macbook pro laptops and 3 iPads. I never said a bigger screen was a new technology but its a very cool feature when you want to show your friends or a person next to you a video. I own a production company and its nice to show people some of the work we do at network meetings or casually bumping into someone. An on the go portfolio without carrying around an iPad.

Another cool feature about the galaxy S4 is being able to control your TV with the IR remote. I just tried it a few minutes ago and its awesome. I controlled Fios TV and my Panasonic Tv.

You might not like NFC technology but its very cool to take a picture and share it with your spouse easily. Although you can do it with email or Instant Messaging, you can share larger files like Videos with NFC with ease.

The iPhone is a great polished phone, but if you like technology the S4 is a cool phone.

Here are a couple of things I dont like about the S4. Your phone messages are stored in a separate voicemail app.

Synching this phone with iCloud just isnt going to happen. Contacts go over pretty well but the Calendar thing has me baffled.

Now if you want to believe I'm a troll thats just fine, but there's a reason why Samsung is taking away phones sales from Apple.
You can use Bump to share photos and such.
Comcast has an app to change channels too.

Not every Sammy sale is a loss for Apple.
post #52 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You can use Bump to share photos and such.
Comcast has an app to change channels too.

Not every Sammy sale is a loss for Apple.

Do people not realize that iOS offers sharing via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to another iOS device?
post #53 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

"Well" is a relative term. Are they selling units, yes? Do people actually want them? They may not know...Commissions are a part of Samsung's marketing budget.

It's actually a huge disservice to customers when the sales people are being paid a commission to push certain types of phones. All honesty is out the window and disinformation takes over, all in the name of enhancing a paycheck. Mobile phone sales reps have replaced used car salesmen on the slimy meter. Reminds me of the days when you'd walk into CompUSA and listen to the sales people spreading false information or out right lying when a customer expressed interest in a Mac.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Not because I'm an Apple user, but I would tell every person new to smartphones to start with the cheapest model of iPhone, for these three reasons...

1. Don't have to worry about malware.
2. Updates are immediately available.
3. Apple's service is second to none.

Extra reasons...

4. The iOS ecosystem is the best in the world; software, services, content, apps, etc.
5. The OS is rock solid, extremely simple to use and consistent across all devices.
6. Apple is good at maintaining support for older devices than most other OEMs.

You'll notice not one of those things is a "feature" or EVER listed as a feature by any other OEM.

Please do not forget to mention the hardware ecosystem. The Apple hardware ecosystem is often forgotten but is a major asset. The physicial hardware connectivity solution doesn't change often and since Apple devices are so popular solutions abound. My mother needed a replacement charging cable for her HTC Evo. We had to drive to several stores and finally accepted one that wasn't exactly what we wanted. Every store had plenty of Apple cables though.
post #54 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Please do not forget to mention the hardware ecosystem. The Apple hardware ecosystem is often forgotten but is a major asset. The physicial hardware connectivity solution doesn't change often and since Apple devices are so popular solutions abound. My mother needed a replacement charging cable for her HTC Evo. We had to drive to several stores and finally accepted one that wasn't exactly what we wanted. Every store had plenty of Apple cables though.
Are you stating you had to drive to multiple locations to find a usb-micro usb mini b? Possibly the single most used cable in the world. Used by ever single phone except iPhones. You are telling us that right?
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

You've never read my Rules of the Troll, have you? 

 

Explain why ownership of Apple products supports an argument. Explain why this must be stated by so many people. Also, explain why every post that does that always begins with said statement and have ", but…" in them. That's comma, space, but. As in "I love Apple, but". "I own Apple stock, but".

 

If they actually had an argument, they'd post the argument.

There are long term Mac users who have Android phones. And people make that point, because they are new in order to avoid trolling allegations. Of course a troll would do that too, but any argument needs to be taken on its merits. 

 

I agree this isn't a place for discussion on why Android is better, there are plenty of fora for that.  However constructive criticism, particularly on Apple policy, is needed. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Pl
Plus the analyst didn't count Apple stores. I bet a large number of iPhones are sold there regardless of carrier.

 

The article is about sale numbers at the CARRIERS, why would they count Apple store sales... They dont try to extrapolate market shares from those numbers, you can draw youre own conclusions.

 

Anyway its irrelevant here because all the sales numbers, market shares, or anecdotal evidences are always denied by the fanboys, regardless of the source.

post #57 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple isn't going to announce anything until it's ready. But there are trade offs with a larger screen. So apple is looking for tech to minimize the trade offs.

 

Regarding the current Android large screen phones, they all use OLED or amoled  indeed.  The tradeoff are easy to spot if you put an iphone 5 or even an ipad mini side by side with those phones. On the Apple devices, the colors are much more accurate and vivid. That being said, I am not so sure the average consumers cares more about the colors then the screen size and resolution.

 

There is also a gap between Apple own devices, if I put the ipad mini side by side with my retina ipad3, the colors on the mini are much better too. If you look carefully at the screen you will notice the ipad 3 has better resolution, but from a distance the mini screen looks better. You will notice the same between an iphone 5 and an iphone 4s. This is due by Apple adoption of IPS on the iphone 5 and ipad mini.

 

I personnaly thinks Apple didnt want to used OLED, which means they just cant make a large screen phone without the device being heavy and thick for a phone. I think they will use IZGO, which allows them to use LED LCD and IPS, so the screens will look like the iphone 5, but the device will be thin and light.

 

This is becoming a major problem for Apple has Samsung is closing the gap in color accuracy.

http://samsunggalaxy-s4.info/color-super-amoled-screen-samsung-galaxy-s4-very-natural_774.html

Apple is about to lose on the screen war too. it absolutly must do something about its innovation this year or its hardware is going to be completly outdated on all fronts.


Edited by herbapou - 6/6/13 at 6:56am
post #58 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carpenter View Post

Nope not a troll. Everything I own is apple, 2 mac pros ( please we need new ones ) 2 mac minis, 2 iMacs, 3 macbook pro laptops and 3 iPads. I never said a bigger screen was a new technology but its a very cool feature when you want to show your friends or a person next to you a video. I own a production company and its nice to show people some of the work we do at network meetings or casually bumping into someone. An on the go portfolio without carrying around an iPad.

Another cool feature about the galaxy S4 is being able to control your TV with the IR remote. I just tried it a few minutes ago and its awesome. I controlled Fios TV and my Panasonic Tv.

You might not like NFC technology but its very cool to take a picture and share it with your spouse easily. Although you can do it with email or Instant Messaging, you can share larger files like Videos with NFC with ease.

The iPhone is a great polished phone, but if you like technology the S4 is a cool phone.

Here are a couple of things I dont like about the S4. Your phone messages are stored in a separate voicemail app.

Synching this phone with iCloud just isnt going to happen. Contacts go over pretty well but the Calendar thing has me baffled.

Now if you want to believe I'm a troll thats just fine, but there's a reason why Samsung is taking away phones sales from Apple.

 

Hey "Bob", looks like you forgot which one of your accounts you were in....the origianl post you are talking about was made under a different account. No way you are a troll...
post #59 of 88
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
Do people not realize that iOS offers sharing via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to another iOS device?

 

Er… the Bluetooth I didn't know. When did that happen?


Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
And people make that point, because they are new in order to avoid trolling allegations. Of course a troll would do that too, but any argument needs to be taken on its merits. 

 

Vicious cycle, isn't it? If the argument had merit, they wouldn't need to quantify it. We see that as troll content, regardless. Plenty of single-posters don't do that, and many of them have great ideas. Some don't, but most do. 


Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Market hates Tim Cook and it hates his strategy, because by all appearances he has none.

 

The market tends to be idiots, though.


Nobody here wants to believe it, but there will soon be quantifiable evidence Samsung has surpassed Apple in high-end phone sales.

 

lol. That explains why the gap between Apple and Samsung keeps increasing.


The 5S will be a major flop with no screen size change...

 

OF COURSE NOT. What kind of idiot wants their phone to get bigger every time they upgrade? What kind of idiot wants to relearn the interface of a device that controls his life every two years? Making sure that everything remains compatible and whatnot? Complete nonsense.


Sad to watch this company become so boring.

 

Maybe shut up and go away then? We know you couldn't care less about Apple or truth.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The article is about sale numbers at the CARRIERS, why would they count Apple store sales... They dont try to extrapolate market shares from those numbers, you can draw youre own conclusions.

Anyway its irrelevant here because all the sales numbers, market shares, or anecdotal evidences are always denied by the fanboys, regardless of the source.

Still it means nothing. Do iPhones sold at Apple stores not have a carrier?
post #61 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by main1event View Post

I'm a long time Apple guy going back to 1979 or so. It gives me no pleasure to tell everyone that Apple has lost its edge with the iPhone. I think the iPhone is a solid phone, polished, and intuitive. Where it loses the edge is on technology. Kids love Tech, I'm a big kid and I like Tech. The big screen is really what sold me, but this Near Field Technology is very cool, so is haptic response and Air View where you hove your finger over the screen for previews. I'm not a fan of the eye scroll thingy but my wife likes it.

I've had the S4 just two days now and I miss a few things on the iPhone like the logical placement of apps and the folders. However, the S4 has just way to many cool features and a beautiful big screen for watching videos and viewing pictures.

Come on Apple dont let this lousy Korean company take the market away from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by main1event View Post

I'm a long time Apple guy .......

Yep, I am sure you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yep, I am sure you are!

I don't understand why some people need to be such jerks when long time Apple users post critical comments. Are you really that indoctrinated that you cannot accept anything but positive comments?!

It is quite common for obvious or known trolls to start with something like:

"I am a long-time Apple fan but.... bash Apple, bash Apple, bash Apple..."

If someone is:
  • new to AI forums
  • enters a thread for the first time
  • uses the quoted technique

there is a pretty good chance that the poster is not here to constructively contribute to the thread...

@main1event had 12 prior posts to the one above



FWIW, an AI noob who enters a thread criticizing an established and respected member -- is often seen as a troll, too...


Often. you can verify a user's forum "attitude" by examining past posts...


In the case of a noob using the often-used techniques -- it is just natural to consider the noob to be a troll... If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #62 of 88
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
If someone is:
  • new to AI forums
  • enters a thread for the first time
  • uses the quoted technique

there is a pretty good chance that the poster is not here to constructively contribute to the thread...

 

Bingo. For further examples, see here.


Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
You do realize there have been more people telling you to shut up and go away than me recently?

 

Well, you bring the count up to 2, but there are plenty more people who've been at odds with your "opinions".


The collective market aren't idiots.

 

Of course they are. They wanted a physical keyboard on the iPhone.


They saw Apple's earnings dropping like a rock this year as soon as the IP5 came out last year and started selling.  Stock peaked day it was announced.  The market was correct.

 

"Correct" in what capacity? About what is there to be "correct"? You know they've sold the most iPhone 5 of any model, right? You know they make more on the iPhone 5 than any other model, right? You know it's the most successful iPhone of all time, right? Come on, man. Even if you could somehow explain what there was to be "correct" about, they weren't correct!


What gap?  The gap where Samsung has massively outperformed Apple in the market, where its earnings are approaching Apple's due to Apple's dropping while Samsung's increase.  

 

No, the gap that you were talking about (not this strawman), involving sales. We just had a thread on it.


I want a larger screen. Not a huge screen, a larger one.  I know plenty of Apple fans that want one also.  Instead they give us a bs excuse as to why it can't be done.

 

1. "Plenty" isn't enough.

2. No, they haven't given an excuse for why it can't be done. 


Given people do use their phones every day in every parts of their lives as you reference, it really doesn't take long to figure out new features, maybe a few days....oh the travesty, so difficult!

 

You speak from the standpoint of someone who knows what they're doing, not a layman. Put yourself in a layman's shoes. And you ignored compatibility, of course. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post


The collective market aren't idiots.  They saw Apple's earnings dropping like a rock this year as soon as the IP5 came out last year and started selling.  Stock peaked day it was announced.  The market was correct.

What gap?  The gap where Samsung has massively outperformed Apple in the market, where its earnings are approaching Apple's due to Apple's dropping while Samsung's increase.  

Did Apple's earnings drop or did growth slowed? Two different things. Apple still had a very profitable qtr. and as with Apple's growth, Sammy won't be able to keep it up.

The market is full of idiots. They demanded a Netbook from Apple. They also want a cheap iPhone and then complain of lower margins. Amazon's P/E ratio. If analysts were any good, they would be owning their own businesses.
post #64 of 88
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
The market doesn't care about sales

 

You do, though.


…it cares about earnings.

 

And Apple exceeds Samsung.


The average lay person could give a crap about many of the things you tout about Apple these days because competing products are similar and 'good enough.'

 

So you've basically destroyed your own argument here. Is that really what you wanted?

 

Why the heck do you double space after sentences? It's not 1993.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #65 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

 

>>>Apple is about to lose on the screen war too. it absolutly must do something about its innovation this year or its hardware is going to be completly outdated on all fronts.>>>

 

This year?  They've done absolutely nothing for 9 months now, the longest gap in a decade or so.  Stock down 4 out of the last 5 days right before WWDC.  Market hates Tim Cook and it hates his strategy, because by all appearances he has none.  Nobody here wants to believe it, but there will soon be quantifiable evidence Samsung has surpassed Apple in high-end phone sales.  It is really sad to watch.  The 5S will be a major flop with no screen size change..... consumers waited a year for what, a couple incremental/evolutionary spec changes.  Sad to watch this company become so boring.

 

Product cycles are about to begin, lets give Apple a chance to fire its guns.

 

With market sentiment regarding Apple, I dont think we will see the old pattern of buy the rumor and sell the news.  My bets are on the exact opposite. I am expecting a sell the rumors and buy the news. (that is if it is good news). I covered my shorts this morning and went long at multiple expiration and strikes (options).  I also suggest to go light before earnings, because they will probably be bad and we will probably be up on news in the prior weeks.


Edited by herbapou - 6/6/13 at 8:37am
post #66 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Nice going, Apple. You really screwed your own pooch. Samsung is probably offering spiffs to all the salespeople to push the Galaxy S4 and thereby cementing Samsung's market share lead. Meanwhile, Tim Cook sits back and looks out the window of his office trying to pick out recognizable shapes in the clouds. If consumers can really get an S4 from WalMart for $80, I don't know how people could refuse that sort of bargain for a high-end smartphone. Samsung is making all the right moves to grab market share, most likely at the expense of profit margins. I don't think Samsung really cares because I would assume they want as many of their smartphones in consumers' hands as possible to get the most possible news media mindshare.

I'm only partially joking because I know Apple is going to come back strong. I'm sure there are lot of loyal Apple customers waiting for the next latest and greatest iPhone. It just pisses me off that Samsung is pounding Apple to death with high sales numbers.

Keep in mind that the iPhone 5 is several months older than the S4 and the iPhone 4 and 4S are even older, yet still sell well (not for long according to the ITC ruling though). I would expect a brand new model to sell well initially. Also WWDC is eight around the corner so that may take some of the wind out of the S4 sails. See how it goes after 8 or 9 months before you compare.
post #67 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


They also didnt count electronic stores. But that wasn't the point. However you count, Samsung is doing well with their Galaxy line. Nothing wrong with that because Apple is also doing quite well. Apple doesn't need all companies to die for it to succeed.

 

Tell that to Wall Street.

post #68 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yawn.

Yep, you know what is coming next after that line
post #69 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

I don't know, do you call earning 12.30/share last yr in calendar 1Q and 10.09 this year and guiding to $6.50-7.50/share for 2Q vs $9.32 the prior year slowing growth?  If that is only slowing growth, god help us when earnings actually drop.

Yes because they still make billions every qty. and you really can't compare FYQ3 to last year because the ipad 3 was announced and sold then.
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Correct" in what capacity? About what is there to be "correct"? You know they've sold the most iPhone 5 of any model, right? You know they make more on the iPhone 5 than any other model, right? You know it's the most successful iPhone of all time, right? Come on, man. Even if you could somehow explain what there was to be "correct" about, they weren't correct!

 

 

 

For the markets, its all about EPS.  And despite higher sell numbers, EPS did stalled.  So growth went to an halt and when that happens any stock will fall like a rock, especially after a parabolic move.

 

That being said, we are sitting at 10 P/E on a 3% yield on top of another 3% in buybacks.  We went from overvalue with too much optimist to undervalue and pessimistic.  If Apple announced something that has even a remote chance of increasing EPS, we will get a violent rebound.

post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Except that you are wrong. The HTC One doesn't use an OLED at all, it uses the new super3 LCD screen. I also  have an iPhone 5 and have seen my phone side by side a HTC One, an HTC DNA, a Galaxy 3, and a Galaxy 4. I can tell you that my iPhone had a noticeably better display than the S3 but so did the S4. It may still be OLED but Samsung managed to vastly improve the display on this phone over the S3.In fact they improved it to the point that I can't tell a difference other than it being larger.  I can also tell you to my eyes at least the HTC One looked better than my iPhone 5. All phones were thin and light including the HTC One, so they somehow solved the problem of using a high quality large screen  LCD while still keeping it very thin and light. 

 

There are no free lunch, if the HTC One is thin and light, it gave up something.  Whats the CPU/GPU performance? How is battery life?  Concerning OLED, I did mention the S4 is closing the gap. Ok ,maybe not ALL big screen phone are OLED, but most are.

 

I am still hoping Apple did invest billions in Shark in ordre to have IGZO capacity right about now. If so, they will leap over the market for around 2 years.


Edited by herbapou - 6/6/13 at 11:12am
post #72 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

NFC? Ask a teen about that one. See what you get as a response.

You apparently don't have one, during my last year company's Christmas party my 13 year old daughter won a Nexus 7 playing a silly game. Three day's after owning it she asked me if she could have one of my Nokia NFC speakers. I didn't tell her about NFC, never told her the Nokia speakers were NFC compatible, she just figured it out. I think you're underestimating teenages. Now I don't care if NFC is a viable solution or not, wasn't my point, so please don't start pointing out how useless it is. Just saying kids are smarter with tech nowadays then we think.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #73 of 88
My mother got her and my sister an Galaxy S for $49. She is annoyed by it after being impressed at the nice large clear screen. Apple isn't competing with a Smart phone -- they are competing with a $49 phone with the ability to play back videos. People using the Galaxy might use the voice command feature a bit, and the maps, and stream music and check email and the web, buy tickets and make phone calls -- they DON'T use it like an iPhone. They aren't really the smart phone market -- but as long as it's there, why buy a regular phone when you can get one with a cool screen for $49? Apple can't and shouldn't compete with that.
post #74 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

People using the Galaxy might use the voice command feature a bit, and the maps, and stream music and check email and the web, buy tickets and make phone calls -- they DON'T use it like an iPhone..

Not to be rude but that sounds exactly what people do on their iPhones.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #75 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

There are no free lunch, if the HTC One is thin and light, it gave up something.  Whats the CPU/GPU performance? How is battery life?  Concerning OLED, I did mention the S4 is closing the gap. Ok ,maybe not ALL big screen phone are OLED, but most are.

I am still hoping Apple did invest billions in Shark in ordre to have IGZO capacity right about now. If so, they will leap over the market for around 2 years.

Sharp is already has a couple of IGZO display devices under their Aquos brand. I think I also remember reading they had 2 or 3 different IGZO versions tho I don't recall what the differences were.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #76 of 88
Latest on BBC News page "Shares in Samsung Electronics, the world's biggest smartphone maker, fell the most in nine months after JPMorgan Chase cut its profit estimates. Samsung shares fell as much as 5.5% in early trade in Seoul to a four-month low of 1,438,000 South Korean won. JPMorgan said weak demand for Samsung's flagship phone, the Galaxy S4, from Europe was likely to impact earnings. "
post #77 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Latest on BBC News page "Shares in Samsung Electronics, the world's biggest smartphone maker, fell the most in nine months after JPMorgan Chase cut its profit estimates. Samsung shares fell as much as 5.5% in early trade in Seoul to a four-month low of 1,438,000 South Korean won. JPMorgan said weak demand for Samsung's flagship phone, the Galaxy S4, from Europe was likely to impact earnings. "

A more complete story here. In essence the combination of Sammy's S4Mini and Apple's own iPhone trade in program along with the likely production of a budget iPhone may significantly impact Samsung margins.
http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-smashed-12-billion-disappears-in-as-smartphone-sales-slow-2013-6
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A more complete story here. In essence the combination of Sammy's S4Mini and Apple's own iPhone trade in program along with the likely production of a budget iPhone may significantly impact Samsung margins.
http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-smashed-12-billion-disappears-in-as-smartphone-sales-slow-2013-6

Hey Wall Street, this is what happens when you release a cheap version of your flagship. That's why Apple will not release a new cheap iPhone.
post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Have you heard any fan describe that subject with "I've been a fan since... I've own every thing they made"?

"I've been a fan of the Phillies since 1989. I've been to the Vet and CBP numerous times. I saw game 4 of the WS in 2008. but this years team is the worst ever. "

 

Actually, I've recently done exactly that.

 

I moved away from Edmonton ~30 years ago but remained an Eskimos fan for a long time. In recent years my allegiance has shifted to the local team. When I talk about it with friends I say something like "I was an Eskimos fan for years, but lately they're making it really easy to be a Lions fan!"

 

I get your point though, and you're right, usually that's true. I just think that in this setting, where the prevailing sentiment is "Yer either with us or agin us!" it's not unexpected that a sincere, genuine objection (i.e. non-trolling) may be expressed as "Don't shoot me, I'm not a hater, but I don't understand why Apple would make heat a higher priority than performance just to shave a few millimetres off the chassis." I think we're too quick to automatically assume "concern troll."

post #80 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carpenter View Post

You might not like NFC technology but its very cool to take a picture and share it with your spouse easily. Although you can do it with email or Instant Messaging, you can share larger files like Videos with NFC with ease.

 

That made NFC attractive to mee, too, until I discovered that I can send pretty much anything I want via the iMessage app, and we don't have to hold our phones within inches of each other to do it. The only downside is that it chews into our data allotment, so sending a lot of video could potentially become expensive. It would have to be A LOT though, given how compressed video on a phone has to be.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T