or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sony inks 'iRadio' deal, giving Apple all 3 major labels

Sony inks 'iRadio' deal, giving Apple all 3 major labels

post #1 of 61
Sony Music has reportedly signed a deal with Apple for its anticipated "iRadio" streaming music service, marking the last of the three major music labels to reach an agreement.

musica

Apple's signing of Sony was first reported on Friday by Peter Kafka of AllThingsD, who cited an unnamed person familiar with negotiations between the two companies. The alleged agreement is further evidence that Apple is gearing up to unveil its rumored "iRadio" service at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Details of the deal come just days after Apple was also said to have successfully courted Warner Music Group. Previously, Apple had already agreed to terms with Universal Music Group, rounding out the big three labels.

For months, reports have claimed that stalled negotiations with Sony in particular have been holding up Apple's debut of "iRadio." Specifically, it was said that a song skipping feature was a major stumbling block for the record label.

With Sony now on board, Apple is expected to announced "iRadio" at its WWDC keynote next Monday. The anticipated service is expected to be a direct competitor to established streaming music services like Pandora.

Apple is also said to be revising its iAd network to run audio advertisements as part of the service. Ad support is expected allow users to stream content from "iRadio" for free when it launches.

Google also recently stepped into the streaming Internet radio market with All Access , which launched in May. The search company's subscription music service is expected to debut on iOS devices in the coming weeks.
post #2 of 61

Hmmm, I read somewhere that labels and publishers were two different things.  If you sign a label, does that give you rights from the publishers as well?

post #3 of 61
The sweetest deal would be one that combines Pandora and Spotify, and gives people the option to choose free or paid monthly plans with a different set of features / limitations. That would please everyone. But that probably won't happen, sadly.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hmmm, I read somewhere that labels and publishers were two different things.  If you sign a label, does that give you rights from the publishers as well?

If I am remembering correctly publishers only come into play when you are dealing with the song as a performable work of art. In other words, I want the rights to perform live or record the song 'imagine' by John Lennon. I go to the publisher. For an existing performance that I want to use that performance in a movie, TV show, distribution system, I go to the label who already has a deal with the publishers for their rights within THAT performance.

Think not unlike patent exhaustion.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #5 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The sweetest deal would be one that combines Pandora and Spotify, and gives people the option to choose free or paid monthly plans with a different my set of features/limitations. That would please everyone. But that probably won't happen, sadly.

I'm still thinking these rumors are way off from what this 'service' will be. And the ad thing might be something totally separate

post #6 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'm still thinking these rumors are way off from what this 'service' will be. And the ad thing might be something totally separate

Three days to go and we know so little. Tim Cook really has doubled down on security.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Three days to go and we know so little. Tim Cook really has doubled down on security.

OTOH, we knew virtually nothing when music sales on iTunes was announced with multiple labels already signed up. I think it was likewise with iPad and book publishers?

post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If I am remembering correctly publishers only come into play when you are dealing with the song as a performable work of art. In other words, I want the rights to perform live or record the song 'imagine' by John Lennon. I go to the publisher. For an existing performance that I want to use that performance in a movie, TV show, distribution system, I go to the label who already has a deal with the publishers for their rights within THAT performance.

Think not unlike patent exhaustion.

Pretty much completely off. Think unlike patents.

post #9 of 61
Quote:

Next week all those caught attempting to leak information that are locked up in Apple's basement will me let out ... 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #10 of 61
Quote:

The sweetest deal would be one that combines Pandora and Spotify, and gives people the option to choose free or paid monthly plans with a different set of features / limitations. That would please everyone. But that probably won't happen, sadly.

Just keep in mind that the objective is to make money, not please everyone. Why we expect altruism and warm fuzzies out of a capitalistic corporation I don't know.

post #11 of 61

Oh, Sony... How pitiful you have become. I miss the old days.

Who will end up owning Sony?

Samsung? Apple? Microsoft? Amazon? The Mountain View Ad Company?

post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just keep in mind that the objective is to make money, not please everyone. Why we expect altruism and warm fuzzies out of a capitalistic corporation I don't know.

Oh, I don't know ... having been closely involved with Apple since the early Apple ][ days I have to say I have had warm fuzzies from Apple many, many times. Ok, a few scared out of my mind experience too but over all definitely way more on the warm fuzzies side. 1biggrin.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #13 of 61
Quote:

If this is truly as much about Apple reinvigorating their targeted iAd program as industry sources say then offering a paid subscription would be shooting themselves. I decided (and said) weeks ago that "iRadio" is intended to serve as an iAd kickstarter. In the past several days more and more articles agree with that. If not Apple would have done what Google did, negotiate cash deals for content IMO

The good thing is that there will not be much in the way of advertising interruptions when it's first rolled out, picking up steam over the next year, if stories are accurate (and the service is real and actually ships with the next iPhone).
melior diabolus quem scies
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

If you recall- they just had an article stating Sony was going to be splitting it's media and hardware divisions.  Media was selling so "Sony" could focus on Hardware.

Interestingly enough- Sony media makes money hand over fist and hardware loses it.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #15 of 61
Quote:

The difference is this is not hardware with its evidence trail. This is just people talking (and server farms and speculation) 

This is more fun. There is no surprises in the HW anymore.

post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If this is truly as much about Apple reinvigorating their targeted iAd program as industry sources say then offering a paid subscription would be shooting themselves. I decided (and said) weeks ago that "iRadio" is intended to serve as an iAd kickstarter. In the past several days more and more articles agree with that. If not Apple would have done what Google did, negotiate cash deals for content IMO

The good thing is that there will not be much in the way of advertising interruptions when it's first rolled out, picking up steam over the next year, if stories are accurate (and the service is real and actually ships with the next iPhone).

I disagree. Apple's alleged new service may be a good vehicle for iAds but to say that iRadio is intended as an iAds kickstarter I think is misunderstanding Apple and how it works. Its exactly the kind of thing that is doomed to failure. iRadio will only succeed if the goal is to make it a successful service in its own right, and I really don't think Apple could be bothered to do it otherwise. Apple is not an advertising company. I can believe the two are working together but each is in it for its own purpose. 

post #17 of 61

I still don't see how this service can be anything other than a stream of content based on the "Genius" technology, and all Genius does is show you stuff from the same genre, and/or stuff that "other people also bought."  

For me, Genius has never even got close to a good recommendation or an idea of what I like in music even after years of purchasing and analysing, but even if it works for others, it's still not going to be anywhere as good as an old fashioned curated Internet radio station.  

It's almost a sure thing as well, that a part of the deal is the music companies will be promoting music to the end user through this service.  In other words, if you listen to a lot of "alternative" music (a ridiculously gigantic and eclectic category that covers everything from electropop to folk), then any new "alternative" albums will most likely be showing up in your stream whether you like that kind of music or not.  The whole thing sounds a lot closer to AM radio than anything else.  

I already listen to real Internet radio stations and rely on some of them to discover new music.  Why would I replace one of these with a lesser, automated version from Apple that's virtually guaranteed to not do as good a job?  

It's simply impossible for any algorithm to be as good at picking the music as an actual human curator who has ears and a brain and exists in a certain cultural milieu. 

post #18 of 61
Well Maybe Apple will have an Internet radio service
post #19 of 61
Quote:

Sarcasm?  We know about as much as we always know/knew AFAICS.  

post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I still don't see how this service can be anything other than a stream of content based on the "Genius" technology, and all Genius does is show you stuff from the same genre, and/or stuff that "other people also bought."  

For me, Genius has never even got close to a good recommendation or an idea of what I like in music even after years of purchasing and analysing, but even if it works for others, it's still not going to be anywhere as good as an old fashioned curated Internet radio station.  

It's almost a sure thing as well, that a part of the deal is the music companies will be promoting music to the end user through this service.  In other words, if you listen to a lot of "alternative" music (a ridiculously gigantic and eclectic category that covers everything from electropop to folk), then any new "alternative" albums will most likely be showing up in your stream whether you like that kind of music or not.  The whole thing sounds a lot closer to AM radio than anything else.  

I already listen to real Internet radio stations and rely on some of them to discover new music.  Why would I replace one of these with a lesser, automated version from Apple that's virtually guaranteed to not do as good a job?  

It's simply impossible for any algorithm to be as good at picking the music as an actual human curator who has ears and a brain and exists in a certain cultural milieu. 

Many people, myself included, enjoy Pandora. I am I interested to see how iRadio differs. I see Apple using its genius technology to give you streams.
post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

OTOH, we knew virtually nothing when music sales on iTunes was announced with multiple labels already signed up. I think it was likewise with iPad and book publishers?

That was 2001(?) when they had much less mindshare. I think the iTMS and the Windows version of iTunes came out right about the same time.

Quote:

Sarcasm?  We know about as much as we always know/knew AFAICS.  

Not at all. I seem to recall SW leaks being much more rampant than before. The best we have is really bad image (using Instagram's Lochness filter) of what is purported to be the iOS 7's home screen. We won't now if that's accurate until we can compare the actual release.

Certain things that require Apple dealing with 3rd-parties always get some leaks but that isn't something Cook can reign in. We certainly don't have specifics of iRadio, just some very general idea that Apple is signing some sort of deal with music labels about ad revenue.

post #22 of 61
Quote:

Well said

For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Many people, myself included, enjoy Pandora. I am I interested to see how iRadio differs. I see Apple using its genius technology to give you streams.

Didn't people complain about iMessage just being a copy of SMS or some other IM service when it arrived? It clearly has plenty of features that make it very Apple. I'd certainly like the timeline bugs worked out and don't understnad why iOS still only sees a formatted (aka: link label or anchor text) hyperlink as plain text when sent from iMessage on a Mac but they brought something to the table that Apple's customers find very useful. I expect that from whatever they are doing with this ITunes Radio rumour.

post #24 of 61

I think Apple wants iAd revenue and increased payments from iTunes sales. It will be interesting to see what they roll out.

Having said that, I would love a decent curated streaming radio service that also allows me to cache tunes for offline listening and I'm willing to pay a monthly subscription fee for that. Unfortunately, Spotify just does not work for me. Pandora also does not fit the bill, either. I do not want to train a computer to know what I like, not do I want to be bombarded with ads.

If iRadio only is streaming music with ads, what does it really offer beyond what the Radio feature in iTunes, with hundreds of curated stations, already offer? 

post #25 of 61
Quote:

I don't use any streaming service at the moment - I used to use LastFM. The part I liked was to be able to see other people who liked what I liked and then listen to their song lists. A pretty good way to discover new music. I am not sure the music companies promotion aspect need be as ominous as you suggest - it wouldn't be in their interest to feed you anything the don't think you'll love. 

I'd like a subscription model to allow me to download songs to my devices and play them as I like without having to stream. Streaming is OK at home or office but not 'on the go'. I wonder if Apple will bring back elements of Ping to facilitate sharing, recommendations etc.

post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Because Apple DOES give me warm fuzzies, and have for many many years. I'm also aware it's a capitalistic corporation. The 2 concepts aren't mutually exclusive. That's because Apple understand that creating warm fuzzies out of people greatly helps with making money. 

post #27 of 61
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

That was 2001(?) when they had much less mindshare. I think the iTMS and the Windows version of iTunes came out right about the same time.

If rumors about Apple engineers being assigned to fake projects are true, I wonder if they might do the same thing with partner negotiations. Imagine Eddy Cue negotiating deals on books, music, video and who knows what else. Just before signatures, he informs everyone, "Just kidding. We were only serious about music. Thanks for helping us double down on secrecy."

post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Because Apple DOES give me warm fuzzies, and have for many many years. I'm also aware it's a capitalistic corporation. The 2 concepts aren't mutually exclusive. That's because Apple understand that creating warm fuzzies out of people greatly helps with making money. 

Apple, while giving you warm fuzzies, has also given others chills. Apple's history, past and recent, clearly demonstrates that it is not an entirely ethical organization on all fronts. I do give it credit, however, for sticking to its principles more so than most companies. But those principles are not always about ethics and fairness.

post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Certainly not Apple, I hope.

Perhaps Disney -- who could sell off all of Sony's non-content, non-media divisions for scrap value and take a tax write-off.

post #30 of 61
Quote:

Apple, while giving you warm fuzzies, has also given others chills. Apple's history, past and recent, clearly demonstrates that it is not an entirely ethical organization on all fronts. I do give it credit, however, for sticking to its principles more so than most companies. But those principles are not always about ethics and fairness.

Ah, back to your usual tripe.... get lost.

post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nitpicking here - While corporate capitalism exists, there is no such thing as a capitalistic corporation.

post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, back to your usual tripe.... get lost.

Nope. Not going.

Up yours.

post #33 of 61
Apple's history, past and recent, clearly demonstrates that it is not an entirely ethical organization on all fronts.

Sure it has. Any examples?

post #34 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure it has. Any examples?

You just agreed with me. So why do we examples?

post #35 of 61
Quote:

If rumors about Apple engineers being assigned to fake projects are true, I wonder if they might do the same thing with partner negotiations.

That seems like such a circuitous and wasteful way to due business, not to mention potentially pissing off the companies you're doing business with as well as customers. It's just too inefficient to think it's a reasonable goal for Apple to take. I'm sure they have plenty of paths that lead nowhere but I don't they have any that are designed to lead nowhere.

post #36 of 61
You just agreed with me.

Come off it. Now. You're better than this.

post #37 of 61
So Sony's signed up now too, that's a lot quicker than I thought it would be.
post #38 of 61
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is also said to be revising its iAd network to run audio advertisements as part of the service. Ad support is expected allow users to stream content from "iRadio" for free when it launches.

iAds on "iRadio" today.

iAds on "iTV" tomorrow?

In a way, "iRadio" could be a test bed for ad-subsidized "iTV" if and when it is rolled out.

Except that there's vastly more money to be made in the television industry.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google also recently stepped into the streaming Internet radio market with All Access , which launched in May. The search company's subscription music service is expected to debut on iOS devices in the coming weeks.

And All Access is an ad-free pay-per-month service.  $120 a year.

Funny.  You'd think that Google would have come up with an ad-subsidized solution.

Maybe iAd is more flexible than Google's tired old web page banner ad technology.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I disagree. Apple's alleged new service may be a good vehicle for iAds but to say that iRadio is intended as an iAds kickstarter I think is misunderstanding Apple and how it works. Its exactly the kind of thing that is doomed to failure. iRadio will only succeed if the goal is to make it a successful service in its own right, and I really don't think Apple could be bothered to do it otherwise. Apple is not an advertising company. I can believe the two are working together but each is in it for its own purpose. 

I'm not at all saying that iRadio isn't meant to be a great music streaming service. On the contrary if it isn't and listenership wanes then iAd's value does too. What I firmly believe is that, barring any significant backlash, Apple will require users of the service to opt-in to sharing data, probably including current location, to monetize their user-base more effectively for the advertisers. There won't be a paid subscription option IMO. That's been Apple's plan for sometime, to tie the two firmly together at the hip. It's not an evil thing either even tho some here have made it out to be since Google and Apple had a falling out a couple years back.

So some here lose a talking point about how you're the product at Google but not at Apple. Big deal. If they get a great music streaming service in return for a bit of personal data sharing needed for effective advertising it sounds like something most won't have any trouble with. Assuming the service was properly planned I believe a huge percentage will be more than willing to trade a little privacy for free music. . . .

... and If they don't want targeted ads they can sign up for Google's All-Access (supposedly available very soon for iOS) which doesn't serve up ads, but does require a subscription. And yeah that will be a switch most folks here probably didn't see coming.
post #40 of 61
Quote:

You just agreed with me. So why do we examples?

I don't agree with you.

So, any examples?

1wink.gif
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sony inks 'iRadio' deal, giving Apple all 3 major labels