or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BMW says Siri Eyes Free support will come to all of its 2014 models

BMW says Siri Eyes Free support will come to all of its 2014 models

post #1 of 32
BMW drivers with iPhones may want to take a look at the company's forthcoming models, as the automaker announced on Friday that it would be integrating Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode into all of its 2014 cars.

siri

Siri will be a standard option in 2014 BMWs thanks to an update to BMW iDrive, the car maker's integrated mobile interface. The update will enable BMWs to interact with not only Apple's Siri in Eyes Free mode, but also Samsung's S-Voice Drive mode.

Users will be able to press a button on the steering wheel and, once the digital assistant has activated, dictate messages, send calls, and use other voice command options. BMW's system is also compatible with apps like Pandora, Stitcher, Rhapsody, and Glympse.

The upgrade to iDrive 4.2 will also bring improved navigation, advanced real time traffic information, and other features.

BMW was among the initial car makers to pledge support for Siri Eyes Free when Apple first showed off the feature last year. Eight other automakers also said Eyes Free integration would be coming in their future models. In the time since, Hyundai has joined the group of manufacturers bringing Apple's digital assistant on the road.

Chevrolet earlier this year debuted the first model with Siri built in. The iPhone and Siri were big points of emphasis for subsequent television ads showing off the Sonic, Chevrolet's new Siri-integrated car.
post #2 of 32
2014? Beamer! Bummer!
post #3 of 32
The full story also notes that Samsung's S-Voice will be supported too. S-Voice?? Really? People use it?
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #4 of 32
I had read that certain Hondas, essentially the Accord and up, had Siri in their 2013 line up. In the market for a new car last month I asked about it at the Honda dealership. No one had any idea what I was talking about. Long story short, I didn't buy a Honda.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 32

Nothing on PRISM today, guy's? Come on!

post #6 of 32
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Zero reason that crap should be spammed in every thread. Cut it out.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #7 of 32
I might be looking at the i3, since I don't want a Google infested Tesla. BMW is rumored to be setting up a program where i3 owners can get a gasoline powered loaner when they need to take a long trip. That combination might work for me, if the price is not too ridiculous.
post #8 of 32

You are the police of who? This site is called Apple Insider and some Apple devotees (of many years standing) would like to know more about Apple's involvement, complicit or otherwise, with the NSA & GCHQ. I think most other tech news is almost irrelevant with this shadow hanging over the whole industry.

post #9 of 32
You are the police of who? This site is called Apple Insider and some Apple devotees (of many years standing) would like to know more about Apple's involvement, complicit or otherwise, with the NSA & GCHQ. I think most other tech news is almost irrelevant with this shadow hanging over the whole industry.

Too frigging bad. There's a thread about it. Post about it there. That's how it goes.

post #10 of 32
Meanwhile Samsung is planning to market a BWM car that looks identical but will cost a fraction of the cost and be made of plastic. It will of course use Android.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #11 of 32

S-voice? S for Siri AND Samsung. Samsung must be patting itself on its back. (Gotta admit, its pretty, you know... innovative)

post #12 of 32
Huun
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Meanwhile Samsung is planning to market a BWM car that looks identical but will cost a fraction of the cost and be made of plastic. It will of course use Android.

Hyundie and kia are already doing that...
post #13 of 32
This great news !
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

siri

Look at how ugly that makes the dash look on the car.  It's blocking 20% of the buttons.  I have a GPS mount that I set my phone in when using GPS, and it's in my cupholder the rest of the time (or in my lap).

When is Apple and a brave car manufacturer (or 2) going to allow them to build an integrated device into the dash.  One that can interchange easily with future models of the device, so not only does the technology not get outdated in a few years for the consumer, but Apple gets a 1-3 year upgrade cycle for sales.  I don't see why a car manufacturer wouldn't want to attempt it.  If they are afraid of isolating customers by having an exclusive adapter- then have two. Team up with Google and Apple.  I think consumers would flock to the vehicle that allowed an iPad like device that automatically connected to your phone with all cross-linked information, playlists, etc instead of iDrive, MS Sync, Chevy Touch, etc.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

When is Apple and a brave car manufacturer (or 2) going to allow them to build an integrated device into the dash.  One that can interchange easily with future models of the device, so not only does the technology not get outdated in a few years for the consumer, but Apple gets a 1-3 year upgrade cycle for sales.  I don't see why a car manufacturer wouldn't want to attempt it.  If they are afraid of isolating customers by having an exclusive adapter- then have two. Team up with Google and Apple.  I think consumers would flock to the vehicle that allowed an iPad like device that automatically connected to your phone with all cross-linked information, playlists, etc instead of iDrive, MS Sync, Chevy Touch, etc.

This is what we should wait for.

The BMW news here is ....meh..... incremental, at best

post #16 of 32

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

2014? Beamer! Bummer!

2014 models would likely hit the US market in about 4 months... we may not have  iOS 7 by then;-)

post #18 of 32
Subaru is being left way behind in the digital age. They refuse to pay for a license from Apple but don't mention that in the show rooms. You end up with an iPhone that is useless for outgoing voice command on their system.
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Huun
Hyundie and kia are already doing that...

True, but remember HTC. Samsung could probably come late to the copy game and beat all the previous copiers if they wanted to. /Hey I jest 1wink.gif

New Ad campaign idea for Scamsung ... 'Think the Same ... We copy better than the rest ...'
post #20 of 32
What about Ford's Sync? They offering integration with a Sony Walkman?
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

2014? Beamer! Bummer!
2014 models would likely hit the US market in about 4 months... we may not have  iOS 7 by then;-)

Valid point. Next years' models come out now.
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I had read that certain Hondas, essentially the Accord and up, had Siri in their 2013 line up. In the market for a new car last month I asked about it at the Honda dealership. No one had any idea what I was talking about. Long story short, I didn't buy a Honda.

That sucks since I'm a bit of a Honda fan. Looking around a bit, it looks like they already have a general phone/text messaging system. There's a YouTube video where HondaPro Jason says that until the end of this year, Siri integration is a special option that you have to specifically request - it won't be a standard option until next year. And it's only for Accord and Acura RDX from what I can see...

http://youtu.be/4pPPjmztk6o

post #23 of 32
Sound nice wow so cool.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As a guy who just sold my wife's Lincoln aviator to get her a Lexus is250- and I own a cadillac escalde ext, Malibu (company car), and corvette (69'). The Lexus is the nicest car I've ever owned. Just little details about it that are much more thought out than any domestic car I've bought (this is the first Japanese car I've owned). It'll be hard to keep buying domestic after it...

post #25 of 32
For those being interested in more details:
Siri or S-Voice would be add-ons to the BMW's own voice recognistion which is pretty good and has been improved over the last 10 years. The difference is that BMW's own voice recognition does not provide additional services which you would have when using Siri or S-Voice.
More details can be found here:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849540

But for fans of both BMW and iOS, I find the following app to be really cool:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848859
post #26 of 32
Quote:

Look at how ugly that makes the dash look on the car.  It's blocking 20% of the buttons.  I have a GPS mount that I set my phone in when using GPS, and it's in my cupholder the rest of the time (or in my lap).

I brought this up to a lead designer at Mercedes, due to the new raised dash in the CLA & A-class. It's just begging for it to be just a holding bracket/mount, for whatever frame fits your device... be it iPhone, iPad Mini... or Dawg forbid a 7" "whatever". My remark was taken without comment, but rather a wink. That's all I can say really.

Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #27 of 32
Chevy Sonic > every BMW?

I bet the boys from Germany must be so proud at who just beat them.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
The Lexus is the nicest car I've ever owned. Just little details about it that are much more thought out than any domestic car I've bought (this is the first Japanese car I've owned). It'll be hard to keep buying domestic after it...

Hate to say this, but Lexus had the most frustratingly poorly designed music interface imaginable. Also, the 'touch' screen was way too laggy. (Granted, that was a few years ago; perhaps it's improved a bit since then).

Of all the cars I have owned (BMW, Saab, Audi, Lexus, VW Touareg), BMW does have the most intuitive interface (thus far).

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hate to say this, but Lexus had the most frustratingly poorly designed music interface imaginable. Also, the 'touch' screen was way too laggy. (Granted, that was a few years ago; perhaps it's improved a bit since then).

Of all the cars I have owned (BMW, Saab, Audi, Lexus, VW Touareg), BMW does have the most intuitive interface (thus far).

I was talking of a multitude of things like leather appointments, access lighting, and minor nuances that I really liked.
In terms of audio layout- cant comment that much as I rarely drive it. I rock the Malibu 95% of the time (can't beat free). 1wink.gif

post #30 of 32
Quote:

here you go 1wink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Prizm
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Either way you are covered, if 7 is late Apple will update free, if BMW are late then ... Oh wait a minute ...
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think there is a Korean car manufacturer who does that already - I believe it is Hyndai or KIA :-) What's with Korean manufacturers?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BMW says Siri Eyes Free support will come to all of its 2014 models