or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple expands WWDC banners to wrap Metreon, adds '7' and 'X' signage

Apple expands WWDC banners to wrap Metreon, adds '7' and 'X' signage - Page 4

post #121 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a brilliant analysis and wonderful conclusion that you have come to.

I suggest that you and any others who think like you should embark on a politically correct campaign to censor and ban all Nazi symbols from ever being displayed again.

You can start by petitioning Spielberg, I noticed a few Nazi symbols in Schindler's List. How disgusting is that? Who does that guy think that he is? lol.gif

Ever played certain Call of Duty or Medal of Honor games? Oh my, what a despicable outrage! lol.gif

Ever see certain movies by Mel Brooks? The horror! lol.gif

Do you watch any movies at all?lol.gif

It is quite ironic that politically correct people who lack culture and are also ignorant of history seek to emulate those that they claim to despise. You'd fit right in wearing a brown shirt in the previous century.
You don't want to hear what I suggest you do.

I don't advocate censorship, and didn't say I did. I do advocate not being a jerk about serious stuff that people are sensitive about unless you have a damn good reason.

Grow up and stop with the straw man bullshit.

Cultured and educated you claim? Try using that culture and eductation to not be a rampant moron.

censored

censored

post #122 of 164
This is Tim Cook's watershed moment. He can put up all the banners he wants around the world. But he better have something to show us geeks. Because if he doesn't Apple is on a slow decline.
post #123 of 164
Originally Posted by Tjduffy View Post
This is Tim Cook's watershed moment. He can put up all the banners he wants around the world. But he better have something to show us geeks. Because if he doesn't Apple is on a slow decline.

Sure it is. *pat pat pat*

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #124 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why in the heck do you reference this moderator stuff? I see no correlation whatsoever.

Personal attacks based on my station. Anything, pulled from anywhere, with any connection to reality or truth, simply for the sake of attacking.

You know, I always let that stuff directed at me slide back when. That was by choice; I don't choose to now. 1biggrin.gif1devil.gif

Ah ok, good to know. So when did you stop being a moderator, must have been last week, but I can't find the thread were the title was dropped. Just curious, no need to respond if you don't want to, obviously.
post #125 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moderator&defid=2205940) :

moderator 269 up67 down

(n.)Someone who moderates a chatroom or message board. There are generally five types of moderators: 

1. Asswipe: Moderator that likes to punish members for little or no reason, harasses members and then punishes them for harassing back or questioning them, or is an asshole in general to those around him, not including his suckup friends, who will respond to his powerabuse with: "lol", "pwned bitch", or "wut a fag". 

2. Strict Moderator: Follows the rules by the book, no exceptions. Any rule infraction spotted will be punished, often without warning. Normally dreaded. 

3. Do-Nothing Moderator: Moderator that acts more like a member than a moderator, only intervening in serious matters that require mod attention. Usually ignores rule infractions for fear of angering the administrator
 or stricter moderators. Usually friendly. 

4. Badass: Best moderator there is. They are fair, and will usually joke around and let things go if the intention of the rule infraction was not fitting with the reason the rule was created. However, if someone is being a total idiot, especially flaming, they will proceed to argue with them for the sole purpose of getting them to make a fool of themselves, often to the point of losing their cool and posting a last "FUK U ALL!!!!!" message, at which point there is muchlulz
 and the nooblet gets b7
. See Winrar

5. Nutcase: Moderator that not only rarely enforces rules, but often breaks them themselves in the name of fun, or sometimes just out of boredom. Usually doesn't have modship for long, or is constantly scolded by other mods or the admin. Me. 

These are the main five categories, there are several other types and combinations of types out there. 

"Ugh, I told that moderator that he's being a jerk, and he banned me. What an asswipe." 

"That moderator is mad strict. She just suspended six members for spamming just because they had too much chatspeak." 

"Is that dude even a moderator? He hasn't done jack through all this flooding." 

"Haha, this moderator is so awesome." 

"What the hell...? That guy just flooded six pages of the chat away... he's a moderator? Wtf?"

Comeback of the decade?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #126 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykz View Post

Well, I like to think that Apple has an eyve for details like that.

You're reading too much into it.
post #127 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manishboy77 View Post

This colored square motif is reminiscent of Microsoft. Not good.

Open chill pill box and take one.
post #128 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I really like these banners.  Best in years.

Clean.  Well designed.  Thought provoking.

We'll see if the keynote is half as brain juicing.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You don't need to sign your posts. But you are correct.
post #129 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziadjk View Post

The Romans invented a time-telling device, the sundial.
With those Roman numerals on the banner, and rumors of an iwatch, I think the whole new world refers to the reinvention of the watch. A new device that can tell time?

Or not. You know.
post #130 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Bullshit.  

If Nazi (basically just the swastika apparently) imagery is so offensive, why was it perfectly fine to use it for over 40 years since the close of World War II and the defeat of the Nazis?  No one complained about it for 40 years, and then some nervous nellies got all het up about it and all of a sudden it's actually illegal in some countries to post a swastika.  Ridiculous.  

Banning the swastika works right into the hands of the idiots that think is has any kind of "power" as a symbol.  
It's the exact opposite of the right thing to do if you want people to stop using it.  

Here is one of the worlds most famous Jewish guys doing it the right way (making fun of the swastika).  

Sadly I can't vote your comment up on iPad because this forum software sucks donkey dick. Well said.
post #131 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

You take the Internet too seriously, lets hug it out.

LOL
post #132 of 164
Is it a wave ? ....if so, maybe the cat is OUT of the bag. Prepare to welcome Sea Lion !! ;-)
post #133 of 164
It would be A FOOL NOT to think a whole new world is iTS and 3rd party apps on Apple TV
post #134 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

It would be A FOOL NOT to think a whole new world is iTS and 3rd party apps on Apple TV

Or it's iOS 7 and OS X.
post #135 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

How ironic. It used to be called Sony Metreon, and it used to contain a huge Sony store (the only place I've ever seen an Aibo other than in a tiny cameo in "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.") And there used to be a separate Play Station store too.

Oh, and yeah, Metreon used to contain a Microsoft Store. It closed after 2 years, in 2001.

Next thing Apple will buy Sony film business

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #136 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sadly I can't vote your comment up on iPad because this forum software sucks donkey dick. Well said.

And if you choose the Mobile Version you can't see how many thumbs-up there are, and what people wrote, so you'll need to switch back and forth. Totally sucks.
post #137 of 164
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

R…really? I was thinking the opposite.

post #138 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Wrong, the announcements will be about iRoundedcorner X. Jony Ive will take the stage in his trademark grey t shirt and three day stubble to fawn over the perfectly crafted radii of the new corners which were lovingly researched. The 83 minute video and 17 product demos will show how no other company has ever before created such perfect corner arcs and that these are now protected by aggressive trademarks, patents and copyrights. The conclusion of the keynote will be the public execution of Samsung's CEO.

Is Jonathan Ive overseeing interface design of all Apple software now, or just the applications that are included with Mac OS and iOS?

post #139 of 164
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Is Jonathan Ive overseeing interface design of all Apple software now, or just the applications that are included with Mac OS and iOS?

Seems silly to think that iWork (both platforms) wouldn't look like the rest of the OS on which it runs, doesn't it? Much less the rest of the software Apple makes but doesn't ship on-device.

post #140 of 164

So, the coloured shapes look like icons, yes, but they also fit the shape of the Apple TV. And "where a whole new world is developing," to me, sounds like they're opening up development on the Apple TV.

post #141 of 164
Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post
So, the coloured shapes look like icons, yes, but they also fit the shape of the Apple TV.

How can so many people (yes, three) be so deluded?

post #142 of 164
Quote:

How can so many people (yes, three) be so deluded?

Excuse me? How rude. I was just chipping in with my observations. Sorry, I thought that was this forum was here for?

post #143 of 164
Excuse me? How rude. I was just chipping in with my observations. Sorry, I thought that was this forum was here for?

It is, certainly, but on what were said observations based? You'll have to forgive me; I love to rag on the analysis of Apple invitations and banners, particularly when it's wild and baseless speculation, as was your take. It's all in fun, but I have it come off as serious.

post #144 of 164
The more I look at the banners the more questions I have.

Although as intriguing as the, "Wave X" is, I am much more curious about the, "7" banner.
The, "Wave X" banner has, "10.9" on the reverse, while the, "7" has no mention of iOS whatsoever. The reverse side of the, "7" banner is exactly the same.

MAYBE the number "7" is MORE than just iOS 7...
post #145 of 164
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
MAYBE the number "7" is MORE than just iOS 7...

iPhone 7! Huzzah!

The, "Wave X" banner has, "10.9" on the reverse

Wait, what? I'm finding that nowhere. Where did you read that?

post #146 of 164

That's the reverse side...
post #147 of 164
Quote:

It is, certainly, but on what were said observations based? You'll have to forgive me; I love to rag on the analysis of Apple invitations and banners, particularly when it's wild and baseless speculation, as was your take. It's all in fun, but I have it come off as serious.

Really? I have to point it out to you? I thought what I said was clear enough. The shapes look like icons, but they also look like the shape of an Apple TV. Now, given that you cannot currently develop apps for the Apple TV, and the fact that the banner says, "where a whole new world is developing," I kinda figured it meant Apple would open up the Apple TV to development - that we would now be able to develop apps for it. Doesn't that make any sense to you? It might be wrong, but it was my take on it. It was not "baseless speculation"; it was based upon what I could see on the banners. It was entirely legitimate.

I'm all for a bit of banter, but you were just being plain rude by calling me delusional, and it's not appreciated. For all you know I might actually know what's being released. I don't, but it doesn't mean you're correct either.

post #148 of 164

Huh. Wonder why that isn't up anywhere that has images of the banners!

The shapes look like icons, but they also look like the shape of an Apple TV.

They also look like half a dozen other Apple products.

Now, given that you cannot currently develop apps for the Apple TV, and the fact that the banner says, "where a whole new world is developing," I kinda figured it meant Apple would open up the Apple TV to development

Banners, unlike all analysts are purported, are hit or miss. There's really nothing to suggest this from the banners.

It was not "baseless speculation"; it was based upon what I could see on the banners. It was entirely legitimate.

Again, it's baseless. Extrapolating something from a banner isn't legitimate, by definition.

post #149 of 164
Quote:

Now that's interesting because that's definitely not Helvetica Neue Ultralight. I think Apple has made their own version of Helvetica, Applevetica. I wonder if this is just for presentation or if they will change all the system fonts. Maybe it would just take a bit of getting used to after 13 years of Lucida Grande in OS X but some of the text in FCPX looks odd to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpaw 
"where a whole new world is developing," I kinda figured it meant Apple would open up the Apple TV to development

I read that as a play on words i.e "developing is a whole new world" given that it's a developer conference. It does kinda make sense to add developing to the Apple TV at some point but I'd say the controller has to come first, otherwise there's not much interaction capability.
post #150 of 164
Quote:

They also look like half a dozen other Apple products.

Yep, but how many other Apple products can't be developed for yet? That's why I mentioned the Apple TV. It makes sense.

I'm just going on what I got from the banners. I think I should be allowed that opinion. You can certainly say I'm wrong, but given that you don't know either way, it's a little rude to shoot someone down for having a guess.

Goodnight.

post #151 of 164
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
…I'd say the controller has to come first…

iOS devices… And then boom; the Apple TV platform already exists.

What about this: An Apple TV API… inside iOS. Meaning iOS apps can be given a dedicated "Apple TV Mode", where the whole UI can be painlessly retailored (or redesigned) to suit the Apple TV specifically, just AirPlay the existing app over. Nothing native on the Apple TV (which would require a hard drive, meaning doing something that I want them to do, meaning not going to happen), but the same amount of control it would bring.

Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post
Yep, but how many other Apple products can't be developed for yet? That's why I mentioned the Apple TV. It makes sense.

Well, the AirPort family is still restricted to specific printers for AirPrint, I think. Why that was ever the case, I'll never know. 

post #152 of 164

post #153 of 164

This is going to be an epic WWDC - signaling major shifts in Apple policies.

- Apple TV gets major upgrade with iOS7. Native Apps. Ad Overlay mechanism - so Apple can provide content for free, and place targeted ads on the device - both when video is playing, as well as by pausing video periodically and viewing ads. Connect to Apple TV with your iPhone, and iPhone will display options for you to interact with the video/ad playing currently - whether you want to click a link and get more info about the product being advertised, or find info about the program, like cast, etc, or even participate remotely in game shows, etc. The interactivity alone will completely destroy all the competition so far, and it will come completely patented, so no one can copy this without paying Apple. The level of interactivity will be of a magnitude never imagined before. This is what Steve Jobs meant by those words in his autobiography.

- iOS7 offers complete screen resolution independence, freeing Apple to offer multiple screen sizes, and resolutions. This will be the signal for launch of cheaper iPhone in September.

- iWatch offers a "Second Screen" to see status of your iPhone - messages/mails unread, etc. Also doubles up as basic controller for AppleTV. For now, will support only Apple apps, no third party apps.

- iPad and iPhone get biometric ID capability.

- iPad receives multiple accounts. Use same iPad across 2-3 people, and still have private access to mails and messages. This will be implemented using biometric capability.

- NFC done right. Hook up minor purchases directly to your Apple Account and credit card linked to Apple Account. Again, authorized by biometric identification. Apple sets up a merchants portal so that anyone can integrate Apple NFC capability and collect money from customers. Apple collects a 3% transaction charge as facilitator. Again, patented like crazy, so that no one else can copy this model.

- Apple moves to 16GB as "base" for all iOS devices.

- Apple clearly indicates move into lower hardware margins and higher ongoing revenues from software, content and transactions. Scorched earth policy regarding competitors - till now Apple left enough room for competitors to play - going forward, there will be much more hardline posturing by Apple - lower prices, much higher value, and impossible to match features.

Anyway Apple shares are languishing as if Apple margins are going to collapse - might as well let those margins collapse and increase volumes to compensate.

post #154 of 164
Originally Posted by macarena View Post
This is what Steve Jobs meant by those words in his autobiography.

- iOS7 offers complete screen resolution independence, freeing Apple to offer multiple screen sizes, and resolutions. This will be the signal for launch of cheaper iPhone in September.

What, the "cheaper", "larger" iPhone rumor crap?

- iPad and iPhone get biometric ID capability.

Why? The hardware isn't receiving updates at WWDC. 

- iPad receives multiple accounts. Use same iPad across 2-3 people, and still have private access to mails and messages. This will be implemented using biometric capability.

WHY?! They want you to have your own iPad. There's nothing wrong with that.

- NFC done right. Hook up minor purchases directly to your Apple Account and credit card linked to Apple Account. Again, authorized by biometric identification. Apple sets up a merchants portal so that anyone can integrate Apple NFC capability and collect money from customers. Apple collects a 3% transaction charge as facilitator. Again, patented like crazy, so that no one else can copy this model.

*sigh* That'd be great. Apple would have to sell it on the back end, though. It would have to be something ludicrously value-added for all retailers that implement it so that they'd, well, even implement it in the first place. 

Imagine a world with no cashiers. Walk into the store, scan the items you want, put 'em in your cart, bag them up yourself (leaving anything you changed your mind about in a bin where the registers used to be, and you just walk out. When you leave the geofence for the store, you're automatically charged.

Apple, legalize the mechanics of theft. People will love it.

Meanwhile, the store's computer knows exactly how much of everything that was purchased, IMMEDIATELY, and can reorder IMMEDIATELY. It can know what moves and what doesn't. The orders are adjusted, and product creators then also know what sells and what doesn't immediately. Instant feedback on new products in test areas. Instant feedback on all products, everywhere. Adjust manufacturing to compensate. Stop entire lines before millions are wasted. 

It's an effing revolution, but it HAS to be done vertically. Apple's the only company that can do it.

- Apple clearly indicates move into lower hardware margins and higher ongoing revenues from software, content and transactions. Scorched earth policy regarding competitors - till now Apple left enough room for competitors to play - going forward, there will be much more hardline posturing by Apple - lower prices, much higher value, and impossible to match features.

They have that now. They don't need "lower prices".

Apple shares are languishing, huh? Screw 'em. Let 'em float.

What in the world makes you think that Apple would ever be a "we lose money on every one we sell, but we'll make it up in volume!" company? They just. keep. raking. in. the. money. There's absolutely no reason to whore themselves out to the people who don't need to have their products in the first place. Never mind that they cannot make enough product as it is. Lower prices will bring an even worse experience to EVERYONE as wait times jump to four months.

post #155 of 164
Quote:

Imagine a world with no cashiers. Walk into the store, scan the items you want, put 'em in your cart, bag them up yourself (leaving anything you changed your mind about in a bin where the registers used to be, and you just walk out. When you leave the geofence for the store, you're automatically charged.

No better than that... iPhone has an REM detector scanning your eyes while you sleep when it detects movement it hooks into the real time smartphone brain scanner which goes into your dreams and tracks you purchasing your new rMBP... order is placed overnight and charged to your account. When you wake up, it is delivered to your door right about the time that a subliminal message on your iPhone locks into the dream and causes you to think about getting an rMBP.

post #156 of 164
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post
No better than that... iPhone has an REM detector scanning your eyes while you sleep when it detects movement it hooks into the real time smartphone brain scanner which goes into your dreams and tracks you purchasing your new rMBP... order is placed overnight and charged to your account. When you wake up, it is delivered to your door right about the time that a subliminal message on your iPhone locks into the dream and causes you to think about getting an rMBP.

I'm going for reality, here.

post #157 of 164

Worlds might be a new naming convention for OS X. Maybe they'll start calling them after stars, planets etc. I don't think that anybody knows the name this year ( last year we knew about Mountain Lion as far as I remember)

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #158 of 164

Anyway my speculation.

As some one said already; we have this equation.

7X.

Right? We need to solve for X. So, as we know, 42 is the answer to everything so:

7X = 42

X = 6

So X is now 6. There are only two explanations

1) An iPhone 6. But we know ( cf TS) the next iPhone is 7. or

2) Apple is abandoning OS X and its old Next inheritance, since thats Steve Jobs's legacy and going back to Mac OS 6.  ( they've probably lost the source code to Mac OS 7 and above).

2) is most obviously correct. Of course the new Mac OS 6 will look a bit better than before, it will have a rewritten Finder and so on. But its going to be 1992 code. I couldn't be more excited.

post #159 of 164
The font style for the "7" and "X" are a dramatic departure from previous years. So is the font for "WWDC" so maybe it isn't a signal of anything beyond signage design %u2013 but it certainly feels like it's trying to signal an overall change in UI aesthetics.
post #160 of 164
Not impressed with iOS 7. The icons are not active, they remind me of skittles. Also how come they can not offer multiple windows on the iPad. And what about the senior citizen, They need the option for bigger buttons for their fingers and the option of changing text size, in short more control without settings.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple expands WWDC banners to wrap Metreon, adds '7' and 'X' signage