This is going to be an epic WWDC - signaling major shifts in Apple policies.
- Apple TV gets major upgrade with iOS7. Native Apps. Ad Overlay mechanism - so Apple can provide content for free, and place targeted ads on the device - both when video is playing, as well as by pausing video periodically and viewing ads. Connect to Apple TV with your iPhone, and iPhone will display options for you to interact with the video/ad playing currently - whether you want to click a link and get more info about the product being advertised, or find info about the program, like cast, etc, or even participate remotely in game shows, etc. The interactivity alone will completely destroy all the competition so far, and it will come completely patented, so no one can copy this without paying Apple. The level of interactivity will be of a magnitude never imagined before. This is what Steve Jobs meant by those words in his autobiography.
- iOS7 offers complete screen resolution independence, freeing Apple to offer multiple screen sizes, and resolutions. This will be the signal for launch of cheaper iPhone in September.
- iWatch offers a "Second Screen" to see status of your iPhone - messages/mails unread, etc. Also doubles up as basic controller for AppleTV. For now, will support only Apple apps, no third party apps.
- iPad and iPhone get biometric ID capability.
- iPad receives multiple accounts. Use same iPad across 2-3 people, and still have private access to mails and messages. This will be implemented using biometric capability.
- NFC done right. Hook up minor purchases directly to your Apple Account and credit card linked to Apple Account. Again, authorized by biometric identification. Apple sets up a merchants portal so that anyone can integrate Apple NFC capability and collect money from customers. Apple collects a 3% transaction charge as facilitator. Again, patented like crazy, so that no one else can copy this model.
- Apple moves to 16GB as "base" for all iOS devices.
- Apple clearly indicates move into lower hardware margins and higher ongoing revenues from software, content and transactions. Scorched earth policy regarding competitors - till now Apple left enough room for competitors to play - going forward, there will be much more hardline posturing by Apple - lower prices, much higher value, and impossible to match features.
Anyway Apple shares are languishing as if Apple margins are going to collapse - might as well let those margins collapse and increase volumes to compensate.