or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Can I use a mini-display to DVI cable on my 2012 MBP to connect to an external monitor?

Can I use a mini-display to DVI cable on my 2012 MBP to connect to an external monitor?

post #1 of 6

I just got a new 2012 MBP with thunderbolt. I have an external monitor with a DVI input. Can I use a mini display to DVI cable to connect to the monitor or do I have to get a thunderbolt to DVI cable?

post #2 of 6

Same thing, really. Thunderbolt is physically compatible with Mini DisplayPort for a reason. Here's what you're after.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #3 of 6

Thanks Tallest Skil.

post #4 of 6

Generally I would recommend a single cable solution when it's available. I've used those adapters before. I have a mini displayport to displayport cable around that provides a better connection than I ever got from adapters. I found a dvi equivalent on monoprice, but reviews are mixed. They've provided a lot of decent stuff in the past. Some people complained about the fit on this one.

It looks like the Apple adapter has mixed reviews too. In that case I would probably try the monoprice one first. Also make sure you do not use the $50 thunderbolt cable. The port may be backwards compatible with mini displayport. The cables are not.

post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Generally I would recommend a single cable solution when it's available. I've used those adapters before. I have a mini displayport to displayport cable around that provides a better connection than I ever got from adapters. I found a dvi equivalent on monoprice, but reviews are mixed. They've provided a lot of decent stuff in the past. Some people complained about the fit on this one.

It looks like the Apple adapter has mixed reviews too. In that case I would probably try the monoprice one first. Also make sure you do not use the $50 thunderbolt cable. The port may be backwards compatible with mini displayport. The cables are not.

Thanks. That looks like the one I had already found on mono price. Given the price of it, I'm going to order it.

post #6 of 6

I actually found it hard to differentiate them at first. They can be used interchangeably. I’m actually using the thunderbolt port to connect to a Mini Displayport cable or adapter. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Can I use a mini-display to DVI cable on my 2012 MBP to connect to an external monitor?