or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to update iMac lineup with Intel Haswell CPUs in June or July - report

Apple to update iMac lineup with Intel Haswell CPUs in June or July - report

post #1 of 57
Apple's all-in-one iMac desktops will receive a refresh this summer, gaining Intel's latest generation Haswell processors in June or July, according to one analyst.

Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities expects thew iMacs with Haswell processors could arrive as soon as this month. In the third quarter of calendar 2013, he expects total shipments to reach 1.1 million units.

iMac

In all, he has called for iMac shipments for the full year to hit 4.7 million units, which would be up 31 percent year over year from 2012.

iMac shipments peaked in the first quarter of calendar 2013, when Apple was able to address production issues that plagued the desktops at launch, sending out 1.75 million units. In the soon-to-conclude June quarter, he expects iMac shipments will be 650,000, as demand for the new models has cooled off.

The redesigned all-in-one machines first launched in the holiday 2012 quarter, but supply was severely constrained for weeks, until Apple was able to resolve its apparent production issues in early 2013.

Months before the launch of the new iMac, Kuo accurately predicted both the thinner redesign and the severe constraints that Apple would face. He said the production issues were mostly associated with a unique screen lamination process employed by Apple.

With the launch of new iMacs in the June-July timeframe, Kuo expects that major suppliers such as Quanta and Radiant will see their shipments "climb sharply" in the third quarter of calendar 2013.

Monday's note from Kuo offered no suggestion that new Haswell-powered iMacs will be unveiled at today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. Instead, Apple is expected to introduce new MacBooks alongside its major software offerings: iOS 7 and OS X 10.9.
post #2 of 57
Were only shipments up in the first quarter of 2013, or actual sales ;-)
post #3 of 57
I just want a 4K or higher resolution on my next iMac.
post #4 of 57
Had a dream last night that they updated the Apple Store to show "Updated Internals" to the Mac Pro after the keynote and they were only 0.1GHz increases ONLY.
post #5 of 57
That's a pretty bold prediction.
post #6 of 57

15-inch Retina MacBook Pro Upgrade.

Or else I get a Chromebook as my main machine.

...heh... What happened to those things anyway?

post #7 of 57
What's up with this analyst? It seems as if Ming-Chi Kuo has been making predictions on just about everything in the past month. Since when did he become an Apple Spokesperson?
post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

What's up with this analyst? It seems as if Ming-Chi Kuo has been making predictions on just about everything in the past month. Since when did he become an Apple Spokesperson?

It's what happens when you are dealing with a super-secretive company. You have the official spokespeople on stage doing the product intros today, the day they are available. And you have analysts who made guestimates of varying accuracies about future products. As far as Ming-Chi Kuo went, he has been pretty much accurate in the past so I give him some credibility for this call.

On the other hand, I think NOW is the best time to introduce the thinner iMac. New CPU, new form factor. Last year should have been a simple Ivy Bridge update.

post #9 of 57
I guess i ll wait a couple months to buy an iMac.
post #10 of 57
The store is down already so they must be preparing at least some hardware updates. I could understand if they held back on the iMac update given how recent the new ones came out but you never know. Tim said at D11 that they don't tell people about updates because people stop buying the current models. There are probably Haswell processors out to be able to update all the Macs, except for the Mac Pro. I'd say the laptops are the most likely candidates given that they are at the end of their update cycles.
post #11 of 57

I am actually looking forward to 802.11ac in the new iMacs which means that Apple will have to release a new Airport Extreme with 802.11ac support.

GigE everywhere with Bonjour Sleep Proxy / Wake on Demand support; update download support...

Heck they may even include iTV channel stream caching in this new baby...

post #12 of 57
As far as the 802.11ac - it makes me mad because I just bought a timecapsule 1.5 months ago. 1frown.gif
post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I guess i ll wait a couple months to buy an iMac.

I wish I had, but noooooo...

Had to buy my iMac in April and now come July it's outdated, well processor-wise.  

Oh well, still enjoying it and I'm better off then with my ole "iron horse" 2006 iMac it is replacing! 1biggrin.gif

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Had to buy my iMac in April and now come July it's outdated, well processor-wise.  

Oh well, still enjoying it and I'm better off then with my ole "iron horse" 2006 iMac it is replacing! 1biggrin.gif

/

/

That's always the case, but glad you appreciate that it is still a great machine. I am looking at new MacBook Pro or iMac for later this year. Depends on which product gets the new Intel chips..1biggrin.gif

Btw: Productivity is going to be at all time low during 10am - 12pm PST, since all IT people will be watching the Apple WWDC presentation via Apple site1wink.gif

post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

As far as the 802.11ac - it makes me mad because I just bought a timecapsule 1.5 months ago. 1frown.gif

If you all your devices are 802.11n then you don't really need 802.11ac just yet.

You can always sell it and upgrade at the right time.

post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I am actually looking forward to 802.11ac in the new iMacs which means that Apple will have to release a new Airport Extreme with 802.11ac support.

GigE everywhere with Bonjour Sleep Proxy / Wake on Demand support; update download support...

Heck they may even include iTV channel stream caching in this new baby...

iCloud smart Caching I think is key...  Google Fiber is getting onpremise equipment, Cable does...  Samsung isn't positioned for it.  Apple is ideally positioned to 'smarten' it's Airport Extremes and Time capsules to cache purchased and rented content.   Then you can start caching downstream... and upstream ('local icloud'). Make Time Machine available via the iCloud.

I bet it would even be NSA approved;-)

post #17 of 57
Figures. I just bought my mom a 27" for Mother's Day. Oh well. Haswell's biggest boost comes in graphics and power consumption anyway, which means little to a desktop powered by a discrete graphics chip. Real world tests only showed an 8-11% increase over ivy bridge for regular tasks so I don't feel too bad about this. Now had I gotten her MacBook instead, THEN I'd be upset.
post #18 of 57

The current 27 is awesome, and an awesome gift.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The store is down already so they must be preparing at least some hardware updates

Likely something is up but who knows what. And it's possible whatever it is won't actually be talked about at the keynote. They could just be doing an baby bump on the retina MBPs and thus it will just appear. Perhaps the new Mac Pro will get a preview today with talk of Haswell etc. then the rest just appear on the site.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

/
/

I'll do you one better. My current iMac is from 2005 and 2-3 months after I bought it, the iSight Macs came out.
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

That's always the case, but glad you appreciate that it is still a great machine. I am looking at new MacBook Pro or iMac for later this year. Depends on which product gets the new Intel chips..1biggrin.gif

Whichever product gets the new Haswell first will be your decision?  iMac and MBP are two completely different animals. I would think form and function would outweigh which has what chip first.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #22 of 57

B.S. from that analyst.  They know nothing.  They simply spew out something out of their imagination to garner eyeballs.  They simply try to bring down Apple so they can but the stock low and gain profit on the upswing.

post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Likely something is up but who knows what. And it's possible whatever it is won't actually be talked about at the keynote. They could just be doing an baby bump on the retina MBPs and thus it will just appear. Perhaps the new Mac Pro will get a preview today with talk of Haswell etc. then the rest just appear on the site.

Doubt it. Apple is focused on the WWDC this week, especially today with the keynote. Today is not the day to do a minor refresh of the store.
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

B.S. from that analyst.  They know nothing.  They simply spew out something out of their imagination to garner eyeballs.  They simply try to bring down Apple so they can but the stock low and gain profit on the upswing.

Except this one is predicting good news...
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Figures. I just bought my mom a 27" for Mother's Day. Oh well. Haswell's biggest boost comes in graphics and power consumption anyway, which means little to a desktop powered by a discrete graphics chip. Real world tests only showed an 8-11% increase over ivy bridge for regular tasks so I don't feel too bad about this. Now had I gotten her MacBook instead, THEN I'd be upset.

Your mom is just going to be surfing the web and checking email. I wouldn't worry about it

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #26 of 57
Originally Posted by focher View Post
That's a pretty bold prediction.

Right up there with "There will be another iPhone".

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #27 of 57
Ok.....its July 5th and nothing yet!

Would love to see the imac with the new processor, fusion drive as standard, and the new wifi standard
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Your mom is just going to be surfing the web and checking email. I wouldn't worry about it

1) The iMac can do a lot more than that, but I'm sure you know that.

2) For all we know, his mom could be editing movies in FCPX, which works great on an iMac.

post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post

Ok.....its July 5th and nothing yet!

Would love to see the imac with the new processor, fusion drive as standard, and the new wifi standard

Don't believe rumors! The reality is that it could be much later than July, it really depends upon what hardware Apple is waiting on. They could be waiting for Thunderbolt 2 hardware, new display screen technology or something else. Further they might also be waiting for Mavericks to support that new hardware.

Not to mention is the fact that Haswell is new Intel technology that they need to ramp up to support all of Apples volume.

Personally I'd rther see Apple skip fusion drive for a larger SSD, but that is me. The goal would be to put bulk storage on an external drive. The MBA's highlight that it is very possible to put a high quality SSD into a low cost machine so I don't think this is a problem.
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

They could be waiting for Thunderbolt 2 hardware, new display screen technology or something else.

Here's a theory for you: Mac Pro has Thunderbolt 2 and supports three 4K displays. Apple sells no 4K displays. Mac Pro is being held off for both Thunderbolt 2 and the existence of an Apple 27" Retina Display. The Apple Retina Display's panel, in turn, will be put in the next iMac, which will also have Thunderbolt 2.
Quote:
Further they might also be waiting for Mavericks to support that new hardware.

We can be 103% certain they're not doing that. They didn't wait for Leopard to ship the first aluminum iMac, and they didn't wait for Mavericks to ship the Haswell MacBook Air. They have a history of making people pay for OS upgrades.
Quote:
Personally I'd rther see Apple skip fusion drive for a larger SSD, but that is me.

Why not both? 256GB PCIe SSD standard in Fusion Drive with a 4TB HDD on the back end. 1cool.gif

post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's a theory for you: Mac Pro has Thunderbolt 2 and supports three 4K displays. Apple sells no 4K displays. Mac Pro is being held off for both Thunderbolt 2 and the existence of an Apple 27" Retina Display.
I have no doubt in my mind that Apple wants to deliver a complete solution when the Mac Pro actually gets here. What exactly that solution is is hard to say. I'm actually thinking greater than 4K resolution as one point of a Mac Pro is to service the professional video industry. In other words a screen big enough to support a 4K movie and a few editing tools and controls on screen.

The other part of the solution would be an Apple designed disk array. This array would be designed and offered at a price that puts pricing pressure on third party hardware.
Quote:
The Apple Retina Display's panel, in turn, will be put in the next iMac, which will also have Thunderbolt 2.
This one is far tough to agree with. Mainly because of the expense as such panels won't be cheap even with Apples volumes. Thunderbolt 2 though is very agreeable. I'd actually like to see Apple debut high speed networking over TB to support a Mini cluster. In this regard the IMac would connect to the Mac Pro over TB to get compute support from the Mac Pro.
Quote:
We can be 103% certain they're not doing that. They didn't wait for Leopard to ship the first aluminum iMac, and they didn't wait for Mavericks to ship the Haswell MacBook Air.
It really depends upon the hardware they are using and how tightly it is tied to new feature in Mavericks.
Quote:
They have a history of making people pay for OS upgrades.
.?? Where did you et this idea? Most of the time they offer new purchasers free upgrades to coming OS updates.
Quote:
Why not both? 256GB PCIe SSD standard in Fusion Drive with a 4TB HDD on the back end. 1cool.gif

Well Apple has a history of not offering high capacity disk drives considering what is available at the moment. It would be extremely nice to get that inside of an iMac though. On the other hand if they put in a 512 GB SSD, for many users having that bulk drive might make more sense and lead to an overall better result. I think it really depends upon the user and his intentions.

Beyond that I'm still not sure what limitations are put on Fusion drives. At one time I thought they where limited to 100GB partitions. That seems like a dumb limitation actually so maybe that is a mistaken idea.

The other problem is that in the past I've had to upgrade external drives several times due to capacity issues. Right now one would think that would never happen with a 4GB drive but we all know how that thinking goes. At least in the way that I use those external drives the internal becomes a bit of a waste if I end up needing more storage.
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Where did you et this idea? Most of the time they offer new purchasers free upgrades to coming OS updates.

Free... if they purchase after the announcement of the date of launch.
Quote:
At one time I thought they where limited to 100GB partitions. That seems like a dumb limitation actually so maybe that is a mistaken idea.

Definitely mistaken, as Fusion Drive creates a single partition of multiple terabytes. Both constituent drives are also larger than 100GB, so why anyone would think that is confusing.

post #33 of 57
Quote:

Free... if they purchase after the announcement of the date of launch.
Definitely mistaken, as Fusion Drive creates a single partition of multiple terabytes. Both constituent drives are also larger than 100GB, so why anyone would think that is confusing.

Apparently bad info got out there! I did a little research and it appears that Intels SRT tech does have a limit. This site: http://blog.macsales.com/17624-os-x-10-8-3-provides-fusion-drive-setup-option-for-non-fusion-drive-equipped-macs has some good info as does a site by jollyjinx. Part of the confusion seems to be that the SSD can't have a partition on it, though I wonder why. Solid info on Fusion tech is tough to find.

All in all I'm not real thrilled with Fusion tech. I still see it as better to put bulk storage on a second drive for most users. The price of SSDs is dropping so fast that many users basic operation needs can all be handled from an SSD. Though to be honest seeing how this works I have to wonder if a fusion based bulk storage solution might work out nicely for some.

Another thing that seems to be a reality is that Fusion tech can work with external drives. I'm not sure how hackish this is but fusion drives have been made with USB, FireWire and TB connected drives. This is also different than I originally understood.
post #34 of 57

So its July 9th and no hint of this new Imac anywhere!

post #35 of 57
Quote:

Trying to get more responses like the ones above?

Or just playing around?  

post #36 of 57
Quote:

Don't do this every day. It comes out when it comes out.

post #37 of 57
Quote:

Don't do this every day. It comes out when it comes out.

And only Apple, repeat: only Apple knows when that is.  

post #38 of 57

What about now?!  Can I bitch now?!  Its August 1st and our man with the plan was WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!.........UGGGGHHHH!!!!!  1mad.gif

post #39 of 57
Quote:

What about now?!  Can I bitch now?!  Its August 1st and our man with the plan was WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!.........UGGGGHHHH!!!!!  1mad.gif

Huh? Kuo was way off here. Imacs always follow the macbook pros unless notebook parts don't come out until way later. I'm not sure you'll find the imac update that interesting. They might make engineering tweaks of some sort, but the processor speed increase won't be significant, and I'm unaware of any mobile cards that would be an enormous increase at the top. There might be more, but do not expect it to be interesting.

post #40 of 57
Kuo is an idiot analyst that really doesn't know anything. It is silly to listen to these guys because they have no basis for their projections.
Quote:

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to update iMac lineup with Intel Haswell CPUs in June or July - report