or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support

Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support

post #1 of 67
Apple on Monday unveiled Mavericks, the start of the next 10 years of its Mac OS X operating system, with a naming switch from breeds of cat to California locales. It will launch this fall on the Mac App Store

Mavericks

Craig Federighi, head of OS X development for Apple, unveiled OS X 10.9 Mavericks at the Worldwide Developers Conference 2013 keynote. He highlighted three key features found in the forthcoming operating system update: new tabs in Finder, the ability to tag individual files, and enhanced support for multiple displays.Mavericks will have more than 200 new features, key among them a tabbed interface in Finder, file tagging, enhanced multi-display support, and improvements to system speed and performance.

In one example, Federighi labeled a file with multiple tags such as "Important," "In Review," and "Website." On the left side of Finder, color-coded tags are viewable, allowing users to more quickly locate files associated with each tag.

"The Mac has consistently outpaced the PC industry and OS X continues to be the most innovative and easy to use operating system in the world," said Federighi, Apple?s senior vice president of Software Engineering.
OS X Mavericks is our best version yet and features new Maps and iBooks apps, Finder Tags and Tabs, enhanced multi-display support, performance and energy saving features, and an all new Safari."

8943894389-13.jpg

With multiple display support, users will be able to access the menu bar and dock separately on each display. In one demonstration, Federighi loaded different full-screen applications on each of two displays.

Mission Control has also been "supercharged" for multiple displays, he said. In one demonstration, a full-screen application was dragged across displays to a second screen.

Mavericks also adds support for Apple TV, making it a full-powered OS X display. Users can view their menu bar, dock, and launch new applications on their television set.

8943894389-1.jpg

8943894389-3.jpg

Another new feature announced by Apple is dubbed "Timer Coalescing." It allows CPU activity to be reduced by up to 72 percent in certain situations.

Enhanced "Compressed Memory" functionality will rapidly compress the inactive memory, freeing up space "almost instantaneously" to available applications, Federighi said.

Safari has also been updated with a new starting page, and a sidebar with quick access to bookmarks, Reading List, and shared links. The browser also comes with "big improvements" to performance, including Javascript, Federighi said.

8943894389-4.jpg

8943894389-2.jpg

The new Safari offers a JSBench score 3.8 times better than Firefox, and also more than doubling the performance of Google's Chrome. And Safari will use less memory and energy and its competition.

Another new feature called "AppNow" will reduce power usage on tasks that are hidden in the background. In one example, an iTunes window was dragged in front of an active Safari browser, and Federighi demonstrated how CPU usage was drastically reduced.

And interactive Notifications will allow users to reply to a message, respond to a FaceTime call or even delete an e=mail without leaving the app being used. Websites can now use notifications to keep users up to date on the latest news, scores and other information. While You Were Away Notifications make sure users see what happened while your Mac was asleep.

Kicking off Monday's presentation, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed that Apple now has a Mac install base of 72 million users. Sales of the Mac are up 100 percent over the last 5 years, PC is up just 18 percent.

"It's never been about making the most," Cook said. "We care much more than the Mac is number one in customer sat and quality."

To date, Apple has shipped 28 million copies of its current OS X operating system, Mountain Lion, making it the best selling release of all time.

Currently, 35 percent of users are using Mountain Lion. Windows 8 is "struggling to get to 5," Cook said.
post #2 of 67
Watching apple event right now!👌
post #3 of 67

Cool, albeit boring for most, update.  Seems most of it is behind the scenes, but tagging seems good for productivity.  Still can't believe multiple screens took this long to fix (I don't use it, but I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for others).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #4 of 67
Great to see something other than stupid Facebook integration and kiddy features.
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
post #5 of 67
Nice changes. I like it!
post #6 of 67
Typo in article, you call it OS X 10.9 Mountain Lion.
post #7 of 67

Now it's getting saucy.  Maps w/ push directions, Notifications, Calendar that shows weather (that's awesome!).  Keep 'em coming!

post #8 of 67
Interesting! Tags is clearly Apple's solution to the file management quandary. A very powerful solution for advanced users but will the average user adopt the solution? Are users becoming familiar with tags by using products like Evernote?
post #9 of 67

I love the Push to iPhone feature. 

post #10 of 67

Did they finally bring back the "Snooze" function to appointments?

post #11 of 67

Man, they screwed up a lot with names this time. Craig called it Mountain Lion on stage, Phil called Thunderbolt 2 "FireWire 2"… twice in a row…

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #12 of 67
Was there any mention of hardware requirements?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I didn't hear any. Though the 60fps on iOS will probably require new hardware.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #14 of 67

A developer will surely leak the beta specs later today.

post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Man, they screwed up a lot with names this time. Craig called it Mountain Lion on stage, Phil called Thunderbolt 2 "FireWire 2"… twice in a row…

I thought he kept messing up the name calling it OS X MaverickS.  So I had to double check the name.  No... it's not named Maverick, singular.  It actually is plural.

OS X looks awesome... but the name is absolutely terrible.

post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Cool, albeit boring for most, update.  Seems most of it is behind the scenes, but tagging seems good for productivity.  Still can't believe multiple screens took this long to fix (I don't use it, but I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for others).

Tagging is most definitely the future... well actually the present. Think "hash tag".

I was wondering how long it would take Apple to do tagging truthfully. I just hope it's using OpenMeta tags...?!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #17 of 67

*shrug* Gnarly, dude.

post #18 of 67
Finally, a true Apple keynote, after too many months of iOS routine.
post #19 of 67

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Better than them reading their talks from a script.

post #20 of 67
Could it be that this was the update that was to come last year and Lion was truly to be the last of the
'cats' OS? Maybe they couldn't get it all in and went for a last minute 'Mountain Lion'.
post #21 of 67
Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Oh, certainly. 

post #22 of 67

So far no features that I will use. It will should run faster, but it already runs fast.

rmusikantow
rmusikantow
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Or having little skits on stage to illustrate how your product functions could (in theory) be useful to the common man.

post #24 of 67
Quote:

... Still can't believe multiple screens took this long to fix (I don't use it, but I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for others).

The thing about that I find the most interesting is that for many years Apple strenuously argued that it wasn't broken and that they had purposely designed it with the top bar and dock only on the main screen.  I find that (previous) argument rather more compelling than the recent reversal as I'm sure do many others.  

It's the same with a lot of things they announced in both iOS and OS X today also.  Reversals of previously held "philosophical" positions, in favour of "what the rabble want."  

I'm not so sure I like this new Apple. 

post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

....Brought to you by a "team of mavericks" - but I didn't see either John McCain or Sarah Palin in the audience.....

1wink.gif

Such a tacky, tacky name.  

And Craig said that this would last them the next ten years too, so we can reasonably expect that each new version of OS X will be named after some California hipster hangout that the rest of the world isn't even aware of.  I find this whole idea kind of offensive as I'm sure everyone outside of the USA will in time.  

Something much more generic, that has resonance to more than just the folks at Apple and the hipsters of California would be more appropriate.  

post #26 of 67

They've long highlighted the California association so this has a certain logic.

Sure, "Eleven" would have been far more innovative. But I expect that "Thirteen" downside loomed too big to go that way. No way you offend the superstitious demo that way.

post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Or having little skits on stage to illustrate how your product functions could (in theory) be useful to the common man.

That (little skits) may have been the single most excoriated feature of the Galaxy S4 rollout.

Second only to the entire building's WiFi crashing.

post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The thing about that I find the most interesting is that for many years Apple strenuously argued that it wasn't broken and that they had purposely designed it with the top bar and dock only on the main screen.  I find that (previous) argument rather more compelling than the recent reversal as I'm sure do many others.  

It's the same with a lot of things they announced in both iOS and OS X today also.  Reversals of previously held "philosophical" positions, in favour of "what the rabble want."  

I'm not so sure I like this new Apple. 

Now that Steve is gone expect to see some changes.  I don't care what their past philosophy was, the new changes make a better product.  I'm all for it.

Quote:

And Craig said that this would last them the next ten years too, so we can reasonably expect that each new version of OS X will be named after some California hipster hangout that the rest of the world isn't even aware of.  I find this whole idea kind of offensive as I'm sure everyone outside of the USA will in time.  

Something much more generic, that has resonance to more than just the folks at Apple and the hipsters of California would be more appropriate.  

Seriously, you're offended the next OS is named after a beach in California?  If the name of a Californian beach offends you why even use a product designed in the US?  There's plenty of machines from Japan (Sony, Toshiba) that shouldn't offend you.  Or how about all those computers coming out of Europe that you read about every day?  If 10.10 is named Bondi would that be equally offensive? 

Is the name a little odd? Ya, I'd agree.  Especially considering it's a beach most people in the U.S. have never heard of, but it is what it is.  We'll only have a year to worry about it before we move on.

Edited by razorpit - 6/11/13 at 5:30am
post #29 of 67
Compressed Memory sounds an awful lot like what "RAM Doubler" did for us back in the days of OS 8/9 when 4-MB of memory was standard on our Centris and Quadra Macs. It compressed infrequently used RAM contents (while they were in RAM, so it happened quickly and transparently to the user) but the extra RAM freed up when RAM prices were sky high was invaluable.

Now that RAM is relatively cheap, does it make as much sense? I'd say, YES, since Apple Inc. seems to be hard-wiring a lot of their machines with fixed RAM allotments. This RAM Doubling act in OS X Mavericks (lame name unless you're from the West Coast), should do nicely.
post #30 of 67

The X in OSX has now become standard. It flows so nicely that they will never call it OSXI.

I'm not crazy about the "Mavericks" name.

"What OS do you have?"

"I'm running Mavericks"

Maybe it will sound better over time....Like iPad.

The tags feature could really change workflows and I'm excited about that.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I'm not crazy about the "Mavericks" name.
"What OS do you have?"
"I'm running Mavericks"

Maybe it will sound better over time....Like iPad.

The thing with using a series of common names is that it's easier to put them in order. This seems like they will be picking random places or icons in California. They would have run out of cats eventually so they had to come up with something new. One positive is that they can choose things more freely and get nice photography to match. I think abstract names might have worked better such as 10.9 Ocean / Wave / Surf because the association with the imagery is easier internationally but the way they chose, it promotes things in California, which they seem to have wanted.

Craig seemed a bit surprised at the reaction when he announced the features like tabs and multiple displays, like 'really you like fullscreen on multiple desktops'. Um, yes because that's the logical way for it to work and having access to the menu bar and dock on multiple screens has been needed for so long. Craig only came back to Apple in 2009 but OS X has been around for 13 years; after just a few years, some of those missing things really start to get annoying so very welcome updates.
post #32 of 67
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

"What OS do you have?"

"I'm gonna buzz the tower."

Fixed.

post #33 of 67

Looking forward to the future release of "Rancho Cucamonga".

--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
post #34 of 67

BTW wasn't Craig's presentation really excellent?  I like the humor and his relaxed demeanor.  He seems to be the rockstar of Keynote presenters.

post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

BTW wasn't Craig's presentation really excellent?  I like the humor and his relaxed demeanor.  He seems to be the rockstar of Keynote presenters.

You should check out the keynotes he gave last year during the WWDC week. Really funny, with great slides:
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #36 of 67
Quote:

Just call it OS X 10.9 then?

Quote:

Said It will be for

iPhone 4 (so 4, 4S, 5 onwards)

5th gen iPod touch, (not previous 3.5" gen's)

iPad 2 onwards (I think)

Ipad mini onwards

post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The thing with using a series of common names is that it's easier to put them in order. This seems like they will be picking random places or icons in California. They would have run out of cats eventually so they had to come up with something new. One positive is that they can choose things more freely and get nice photography to match. I think abstract names might have worked better such as 10.9 Ocean / Wave / Surf because the association with the imagery is easier internationally but the way they chose, it promotes things in California, which they seem to have wanted.

I can't wait till OS 10.10 Yosemite!

post #38 of 67
Quote:

How is it offensive? Many of the cats that were used for names of prior Mac OS 10 operating systems cannot even be found in the United States, let alone in California. 

I'm offended! /s

post #39 of 67

lolno.

And Craig said that this would last them the next ten years too

Well… yeah. In 2001, Steve said that Mac OS X was their solution for the next 20 years. We've only had 12 of those.

…so we can reasonably expect that each new version of OS X will be named after some California hipster hangout that the rest of the world isn't even aware of.

Edumacate yourself. Looks famous to me.

I find this whole idea kind of offensive as I'm sure everyone outside of the USA will in time.  

I find the idea of capitalizing on endangered cats offensive.

"But that's ludicrous."

Yeah, I wanted a statement to match his, is all.

How about Mac OS 10.9 Shut Up Idiot Whiners?

post #40 of 67

One feature I've always wanted to see in Mac OS X is to automatically mount my MacBook Pro drive in the Finder when I plug it in.

Just to exchange files, like when it sees my camera or USB thumb drive.

Having to reboot into TDM is annoying. I'm sure there's a valid reason they don't allow this, but it would make life easier.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
  • Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support